Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP

Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP Employee Reviews

Canada23 reviews
Great team environment. Fun and productive place to work.
I enjoyed my time working. I made lifelong friends and relationships here. The social environment was great while still being productive. I have heard that pay is a bit on the low end. Benefits were great. The job itself was often stressful as things were often assigned last minute.
Blakes doesn’t mean business
Awful culture. Marketing and technology are from the stone ages. They are slow and so process driven. Things don’t get done and the procedures are antiquated and long winded. The managers don’t want to change, they just keep doing the same old boring stuff and are completely out of touch. Toxic culture - all white directors and managers and HR turns a blind eye to the covert racism.
Productive employer with lots of room for growth
On arrival, I had to secure all printed material to be shredded, then attend post office to collect mail. Mail was then sorted, stamped and delivered. I then filled requisition order for supplies.
Productive and fun workplace,
Will provide more detail / when if required
Typical day at work is usually regular, I know the job from a to z.

Not to many challenges. Good for Family and work balance.

But, It's time for me to shift to that new level where I ca put my experience and skills to contribution in protecting what I consider to be essential : Government Infrastructure and Systems
Steer Clear
One of the lowest paid firms on Bay St. Did not provide cost of living pay increase despite Managing Partner crowing at the Holiday how much money the firm had made. HR looks to have assistant spy on each other. Toxic environment. Lawyers great - HR awful - some of the assistant who have been there a long time need to be put out to pasture - they behave like High School kids. I managed to stick it out for three years but overall - would not recommend this firm.
Pros
Snacks provided on a Thursday.
Cons
Very low morale
Average
Very Strong company with it's own history and culture in the financial district of Toronto. In brief i can affirm it is Amazing and friendly staff, very high level of personal expertise. Recommend to work there.
fun to work
My day to day at Blakes was great management was ok they work well with you. the culture was great the hardest part of the job was to go to over to U of T .
Pros
Cons
7am to 3pm
Fun place to work if you have a good work ethic
Although a person in a support staff position may have a good work ethic, that does not necessarily translate into a decent salary increase that matches inflation. It seems HR rarely understands the daily duties as performed by staff. This is typical of the industry as a whole.
Pros
Typical office culture.
Cons
Salary does not seem to meet experience, hard work is not necessarily seen as enough to rate a decent raise.
Now a Small Office
Blakes Ottawa was a large branch of one of the top international law firms in Canada until it downsized to a much smaller firm (as many Ottawa firms have done over the last ten years) several years ago.

Blakes provides a stable work environment with competitive pay rates and good benefits. I spent some of the happiest working years at Blakes Ottawa and made lifelong friends, both with support staff as well as professionals.

Blakes’ lawyers and support staff are exceedingly professional. I have spent all my working life within the scope of a law firm and I would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending Blakes if you are retaining a lawyer or looking for employment there.
Pros
Professional and knowledgable staff. Everyone has a good rapport with one another.
Cons
Firm has downsized so support staff is limited, you would need to be someone who can work alone without others to socialize with.
Fine place to work, if you're a lawyer
good things:
- nice location

- nice offices

- good team mates

bad things:

- low pay in my department

- a number of full time positions replaced by precarious contract work

- hierarchal, too many directors. I had about a dozen bosses

- working with the lawyers was like trying to herd cats
Your experience may depend on the area you work in
Big law on Bay Street is not known for it's work-life balance, so that's to be expected. Firm management truly strives to minimize the negative impacts, especially for admin staff, but still, it continues to be a demanding environment. Benefits are good (dental, but no vision care) and salary really depends on your negotiation skills and the department/role you work in. Salary raises based on performance reviews are not overly generous, so advocate for a decent salary in your interview. This review does not apply to legal professionals, as everything from salary to benefits differs for lawyers.
A very professional workplace.
Good people and great benefits. Company has a great workplace culture and has the most wonderful professional lawyers in Calgary. The company is one of the top law companies in Canada.
This firm is beautiful, well established and well managed. Staff are friendly and happy for the most part. Nice lunch room, the most awesome holiday parties. Interesting work and probably the best Marketing team I've ever seen in a law firm. Great perks, happy people.
Pros
Well managed firm
Cons
Small work spaces, desk areas for staff are confining
Okay job
Management needs improvment
Employees are great

Job security, and lots of co workers who work with you and share lots of knowledge
Pros
free lunchs
Cons
Great place to work long-term (legal assistant)
Blakes is a fantastic place to work. The overall environment is collegial and laid back, not stuffy or overly formal. Pay and vacation time allotted to staff is generous. Staff are treated well and many events take place throughout the year to recognize their hard work. I found it very rewarding to work at Blakes and I sincerely miss being part of the Blakes family.
A touch of hospitality in a corporate setting.
I have been enjoying my work in the Catering department within the corporate setting of Blakes. I have learned a greater appreciation for teamwork and how to time manage more effectively.

Although now i feel it is time to look elsewhere for a more challenging and ambitious postion.
Pros
Great co-workers, no late nights, work indoors.
Cons
Low pay.
productive and fun workplace with lots of good neighbors
Great place to work at. Great environment and friendly people. Convenient location. Dynamic workplace with lots of opportunities for new skills. Challenging and fun projects.
I love this company. They treat their employees well and compensation is great in the industry we work in. Competitive salaries make the commute to Toronto worth it. HR is organized and always looking out for your best interests (within reason).
Pros
Snack Thursday, pension, benefits, vacation
Cons
long commute
Great team
I enjoyed my time at Blakes, but felt there was little room for growth or advancement within the IT group.

Benefits and salary were comparable to other downtown Toronto corporate lawfirms.

My coworkers were wonderful and made each day enjoyable.
Pros
easily accessible by TTC, comparable salary and benefits
Cons
Little room for growth, advancement
Professionally expansive and challenging Bay Street environment
I learned a great deal about working as a lawyer in an intense practice environment, and discovered a great deal about my own practice interests. A fine opportunity to work on challenging and novel legal issues, though less emphasis is placed on work-life balance than I would have personally preferred.
Pros
Good professional development and work opportunities
Cons
Lack of work-life balance