Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP Employee Reviews

Infrastructure Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 March 2019
Very Strong company with it's own history and culture in the financial district of Toronto. In brief i can affirm it is Amazing and friendly staff, very high level of personal expertise. Recommend to work there.
Fun place to work if you have a good work ethic
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 February 2019
Although a person in a support staff position may have a good work ethic, that does not necessarily translate into a decent salary increase that matches inflation. It seems HR rarely understands the daily duties as performed by staff. This is typical of the industry as a whole.
Pros
Typical office culture.
Cons
Salary does not seem to meet experience, hard work is not necessarily seen as enough to rate a decent raise.
Now a Small Office
Legal Assistant/Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 May 2018
Blakes Ottawa was a large branch of one of the top international law firms in Canada until it downsized to a much smaller firm (as many Ottawa firms have done over the last ten years) several years ago.

Blakes provides a stable work environment with competitive pay rates and good benefits. I spent some of the happiest working years at Blakes Ottawa and made lifelong friends, both with support staff as well as professionals.

Blakes’ lawyers and support staff are exceedingly professional. I have spent all my working life within the scope of a law firm and I would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending Blakes if you are retaining a lawyer or looking for employment there.
Pros
Professional and knowledgable staff. Everyone has a good rapport with one another.
Cons
Firm has downsized so support staff is limited, you would need to be someone who can work alone without others to socialize with.
Fine place to work, if you're a lawyer
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 May 2018
good things:
- nice location
- nice offices
- good team mates

bad things:
- low pay in my department
- a number of full time positions replaced by precarious contract work
- hierarchal, too many directors. I had about a dozen bosses
- working with the lawyers was like trying to herd cats
Your experience may depend on the area you work in
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Toronto22 March 2018
Big law on Bay Street is not known for it's work-life balance, so that's to be expected. Firm management truly strives to minimize the negative impacts, especially for admin staff, but still, it continues to be a demanding environment. Benefits are good (dental, but no vision care) and salary really depends on your negotiation skills and the department/role you work in. Salary raises based on performance reviews are not overly generous, so advocate for a decent salary in your interview. This review does not apply to legal professionals, as everything from salary to benefits differs for lawyers.
A very professional workplace.
Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 January 2018
Good people and great benefits. Company has a great workplace culture and has the most wonderful professional lawyers in Calgary. The company is one of the top law companies in Canada.
Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 June 2017
This firm is beautiful, well established and well managed. Staff are friendly and happy for the most part. Nice lunch room, the most awesome holiday parties. Interesting work and probably the best Marketing team I've ever seen in a law firm. Great perks, happy people.
Pros
Well managed firm
Cons
Small work spaces, desk areas for staff are confining
Okay job
Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2016
Management needs improvment
Employees are great
Job security, and lots of co workers who work with you and share lots of knowledge
Pros
free lunchs
Cons
Great place to work long-term (legal assistant)
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 October 2016
Blakes is a fantastic place to work. The overall environment is collegial and laid back, not stuffy or overly formal. Pay and vacation time allotted to staff is generous. Staff are treated well and many events take place throughout the year to recognize their hard work. I found it very rewarding to work at Blakes and I sincerely miss being part of the Blakes family.
A touch of hospitality in a corporate setting.
Catering Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 September 2016
I have been enjoying my work in the Catering department within the corporate setting of Blakes. I have learned a greater appreciation for teamwork and how to time manage more effectively.

Although now i feel it is time to look elsewhere for a more challenging and ambitious postion.
Pros
Great co-workers, no late nights, work indoors.
Cons
Low pay.
productive and fun workplace with lots of good neighbors
Infrastructure Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 October 2015
Great place to work at. Great environment and friendly people. Convenient location. Dynamic workplace with lots of opportunities for new skills. Challenging and fun projects.
Team Leader and Legal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 August 2015
I love this company. They treat their employees well and compensation is great in the industry we work in. Competitive salaries make the commute to Toronto worth it. HR is organized and always looking out for your best interests (within reason).
Pros
Snack Thursday, pension, benefits, vacation
Cons
long commute
Great team
IT Service Desk Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 October 2014
I enjoyed my time at Blakes, but felt there was little room for growth or advancement within the IT group.

Benefits and salary were comparable to other downtown Toronto corporate lawfirms.

My coworkers were wonderful and made each day enjoyable.
Pros
easily accessible by TTC, comparable salary and benefits
Cons
Little room for growth, advancement
Professionally expansive and challenging Bay Street environment
Articling Student [Student-at-Law] (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 September 2013
I learned a great deal about working as a lawyer in an intense practice environment, and discovered a great deal about my own practice interests. A fine opportunity to work on challenging and novel legal issues, though less emphasis is placed on work-life balance than I would have personally preferred.
Pros
Good professional development and work opportunities
Cons
Lack of work-life balance
A variety of departments and many different people to work with.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 April 2013
I enjoyed working with many great people. There is a variety of different departments. I was able to work in many different programs and databases, which is an asset.
Good salary and benefits but no opportunity for advancement
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario2 January 2013
I am assigned two principal lawyers - and may be assigned a summer or a regular articling law student also - but expected to help out the group as needed. Recently, management added more human resources personnel to micro manage support staff but at same time reduced support staff on floors. I am expected to finish all my job assignments on time and still volunteer for firm sponsored charity events in order to have job security. Have to cater to principal bosses and other lawyers who may need help. Because of periodic lay-offs of long-term employees, support staff are insecure and watch each other, some reporting their rivals or personal enemies to H.R. for their own benefit. A lot of office politics and beware if you get caught in the cross-fire.
Pros
competitive salary and benefits
Cons
no job security especially for long-staying employees; no job advancement opportunities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP. Our community is ready to answer.

Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP Reviews by Location