Blackstone Mountain Lodge
View all Blackstone Mountain Lodge reviews

Blackstone Mountain Lodge

Blackstone Mountain Lodge Employee Review

Great team culture

I really enjoyed my time as part of the Front Desk team at Blackstone. I started at a very busy time for the hotel & whilst I went through training very fast which might be too much for some - I thoroughly enjoyed the challenges we faced by being fast paced & having lots of on the job training. At times the workload was a lot to take on but I felt supported by my coworkers, supervisor & the management team. I felt like the concerns we raised with management were addressed & solved well although I understand this was not the case for every department. Staff housing was supplied for a reasonable fee which was great for me being located next to the hotel & lucky because Canmore can be expensive to live in. The Front Desk had a fantastic workplace culture - one of the best I’ve ever experienced & I’ve made many lasting friendships. One of my only negatives or more areas to work on would be for management to focus in on assisting the other departments to thrive under more extensive training, responding to staff concerns, bonding as cohesive teams & improving communication between all the departments. If each department had a greater comprehension of each other’s daily; needs, goals & struggles - we could have staff cross trained to assist, adjust the resources, compensate for each other & work towards a more holistic approach to success for the hotel & for its guests.

Pros

Great team culture, affordable housing, well located housing

Cons

More teamwork across departments

4.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Same roleSame location

Decent pay,overworked

Ok pay but incredibly overworked. Very demanding guests. Poor unprofessional management. No room for advancement. Competitive. Deal with a lot of very rude and angry people.
Same location

Good

Summers are very busy with a lot to do but I guess that's nature of this job in Bow Valley. Summer bbq party is always fun. I wish the hours are more stable.
Same location

Modern day SLAVERY

All the wonderful things promised like a discounted ski pass don't exist and are brushed off by management until you give up asking. Goodluck even trying to get the staff discount for meals because on this wage you won't be able to afford to eat out anyways. Training on the job is totally up to you to figure out, my manager called in sick on my third day then joked about it 6 months later. Don't make any plans for a 2 day weekend because you'll definitely be called in and not get paid overtime. There is a serious lack of communication between departments just creating extra work load for all staff. The pay is quite reasonable if you live in a third world country but you won't be able to survive very long in Canmore. Break times like lunch don't even meet Alberta standards. So if you love to be overworked and underpaid in a disorganised mess sign up!!!

Pros

Finnishing your shift

Cons

Starting again the next day

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blackstone Mountain Lodge. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement