BlackboxMyCar

BlackboxMyCar Employee Reviews

One of the biggest complaints employees have is always about poor management. But here, the management is great, especially the CEO. They actually show a lot of appreciation towards all the employees. I've worked at a few other places before and none of them treated their employees as good as this company. The workplace culture is good and everyone gets along with each other. Everyone is willing to help each other out at any time.
Pros
Great management team, good workers, good work environment.
Cons
Small warehouse
Might be a good place for a short term job but not for long term growth. Benefits package is a joke.Teammates are good but management is inexperienced and make snap decisions that change with the mood of the CEO. The sad thing is the managers all just agree with the CEO even when it is unreasonable. Their ideal employee is a head-nodder who agrees with everything.No HR or objective person who would share feedback with Management.
Pros
Free food, celebrations
Cons
the good: coworkers are tightly knit and well meshedthe bad: the "right person" they are looking for is a person who takes orders without asking questions. Rather than reflect on how they do things, they refuse to communicate their needs in a reasonable manner. The current owner/CEO lacks the knowledge, skills, and personality to run the company effectively. Other management are his biggest apologists, and will attempt to shift their failings on to you. If you like this sort of environment, go for it.
Pros
Cons
Ceo
This is a startup company who has clearly grown to understand how to maximize revenue and treat its employees correctly at the same time. The people, including myself, who have stayed here for 1+ years can see the positive growth and diligent efforts that management have made to make this company become a great workplace for everyone.
Pros
Management is very flexible and understanding of employees
Cons
Monthly employee rewards can be better!
BlackboxMyCar is a great company to work with the perfect work-life balance as well as allowing you to have fun at work. The environment is relatively stress-free even during the busy season with management always doing their best to create a great working space.BlackboxMyCar allows you to also build on your strengths and grow within your position and even find other opportunities for you within the company as well as bring new ideas to fruition.We have a lot of fun events and management does their best to include everyone on the team with birthdays, anniversaries, and company outings.
Some may say the CEO is incompetent and the other managers placate his every whim no matter how unreasonable, ridiculous, or poorly thought out; others may keep their heads down and avoid the situation entirely, letting the CEO play dress-up king. Rather than change their ways, it seems they would rather you to change to fit them, even if they do not know what they are doing. Nothing seems to be ever good enough unless you can read the CEOs mind, but you shouldn't as there may be many dark secrets lurking about. One could say there is lots of growing up to do, but as long as they are not willing to admit their own shortcomings and actually do something about it, that growth does not seem to be anywhere in sight. All the bad things of a small company they seem to have kept, while seemingly implementing all the bad things of a bigger company... not having anything positive from either structures. They may also cut major corners just to save a few dollars.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Management needs a reality check
Pros: Best part is work part, not a lot of stress or pressures, friendly members, good team culture, hardworking teams downstairs Cons: CEO doesn't seem to do a lot of work so maybe stay home more, sales manager work and manage too seriously (unsure if he's an owner?), marketing manager lives in his own world but is funny (company clown), only AC upstairs, old equipments (desks, chairs)
People are nice and friendly, there is a sense of a community among coworkers and there is no drama or employees with bad intentions. Job duties and responsibilities can be vague for some employees, leading to a lot of redundancies and inefficiencies. This is due to a lack of proper structure by certain people in management. Small tasks are easily turned into headaches that are just done over and over again due to miscommunication or lack of communication. CEO seems to listen to employee feedback both from employees and management side. Noticeably distances himself from the rest of employees (not necessarily a bad thing) so don't have much else to say. With everything considered, I would say BlackboxMyCar is a good place to work at.
Pros
Anonymous feedback improves company culture, helpful and friendly coworkers, sales manager provides fun place to work while getting things done, CEO tries to improve company culture as well as revenue
Cons
Lack of efficient structure for some teams, employees of the month reward are not enticing enough
Have been working here for a few months, so a fairly thorough understanding of the company's culture, employees and management team. Seems to have issues in the past that have been resolved, and the CEO and management team are taking big steps to make positive changes. Management seems to really care about the well-being of employees. More transparency in terms of how we perform as a company will mark more positivity, so that employees can feel empowered as to how their day to day actions lead to overall performance.
Pros
Friendly and helpful coworkers (no selfish people), great sense of team unity, really fun Christmas dinner and activities
Cons
Better office commodities (snacks, utensils, etc.), more transparency on company's performance
There is no doubt that there are current and previous employees who are angry or bitter, and some of whom probably have totally legitimate reasons. However, there are also employees, past and present, who are happy with working here. The majority of unhappy employees are those who work closely with management. The common theme is that the CEO seems to have a poor understanding of realistic expectations from employees. Menial to irrelevant tasks that are not part of the job responsibility and employees are just "expected" to complete them. Those who do not care will treat this without issue but those who care will certainly react negatively. There does, however, exist a significant amount of employees who are absolutely fine with working here and have no negative outlook towards the company. Most of these employees either understand/feel that the CEO has turned new pages to become a better leader or simply don't feel the CEO has treated them badly. People who just come here to do work and see the value in their results shouldn't be any significant issues here.
Don't be fooled by the fake reviews on here. The management here is extremely inexperienced, and rules over their company like a playground. Their inability to effectively communicate and their tendency to "lash out" at their employees is clear, due to the fact that the majority of their senior members have left within the last 6 months. There is truth in the team being quite well meshed, incorporating a plethora of different personalities and skillsets. The team there truly was formed on great pillars, with great potential (keyword: was), but that is no longer true as the company stands now. The monthly company dinners and fun-committee organized events are a good time with coworkers, but note that they are unpaid and "optional". These also lack any real team-building activity. These are held at the end of the workday, but often continue into the late evenings. Furthermore, they are often pushed onto weekends or holidays on the rare occasion. I am sure that when management replies to this review, that they will reiterate that these are "optional". There is also truth in management doing their best to make things better for their employees and the company, but only after they've received enough backlash from their employees to make a point.
Pros
People are good
Cons
Hours, management
6 September 2018
Thanks for taking the time to leave this feedback. Your input is truly appreciated and we'll work hard to do better!
I've been at BlackboxMyCar for more than a year. It has been an incredible journey watching the company grow into where it is at now today, even through just the last year that I've been employed here. The vast majority of employees are in their early to late 20's but are all mature and responsible individuals who ensure that work is completed to a high degree of professionalism and standard. Management always tries to do their best to help make things better for the company as well as for its employees. Open-table discussions are always available and encouraged, and management is not afraid to address any mistakes on their behalf in order to make any marked improvements. With the monthly company dinner and fun-committee organized events every 5-6 weeks, there is a clear bond between coworkers, which is nice to see and makes working here that much more enjoyable. After all, no one wants to dread going to their jobs.
Pros
Friendly and professional employees and management
4 September 2018
Thank you for leaving this review! We're happy to know that you're enjoying your time here at BlackboxMyCar. Please don't hesitate to contact the management team or our HR specialist if you ever come across any issues or concerns.Thanks!The Management Team
This is an overview of a small company. Because it is small, it is a broad description to protect others who are too scared to speak up for fear of retaliation by coworkers and management. If you like cars, or if you're looking for an entry level job in a company where you will have to do many things not in your job description (like cleaning out the trash every day) and to use it as a stepping stone on your resume, this may ok. If you like dealing with customers and being able to share ideas, this is also potentially an ok company to work for. The culture is very traditional Korean, meaning that everyone in the family works in the business and there is not a lot of sharing of information like goals. There is also panic when dealing with unhappy customers because management is inexperienced and doesn't know how to respond always either. All of us are quite young, this being our first job out of college or even still as students. But because of this environment, there are a lot of many many management mistakes and ruling by fear from top down. It has been a huge struggle keeping good people. A lot of friends and colleagues have left especially in the last 3-6 months and there is a lot of uncertainty and broken promises from management. There is also no human resource to talk to inside the office and management seems to be too busy to deal with issues. It's too bad because the people work hard, but most people realize it's not a long term job.
Pros
Occasional free bbq lunches and some team activities. Loaned dash cams if you have a car.
Cons
Feels like school. Whole team is very young and inexperienced, under 30. Lack of company direction and focus from upper management. No internal HR.
4 September 2018
Thank you for taking the time to share this review. Feedback always go a long way in helping us improve as a company so that we are able to develop a positive work culture for our employees. Myself and the management team had time to reflect and learn from your input. We appreciate your honesty. We admit that we are not perfect and have made numerous mistakes along the way. We are, however, always attentive to our mistakes and learn from them. We've always had an open door policy for our employees and the management team. I wish you had given us a chance to address the problem by speaking to us. Myself and the management team have always valued honest constructive input and we truly thank those who can share their struggles with the company - and we actively try to make any changes accordingly once we hear from our team. We do not penalize or retaliate. I am sorry that despite our efforts, you did not feel comfortable speaking to us of your struggle. I promise to bring an even more open environment and speak to our team more frequently so everyone feels more comfortable in speaking with the management team. Our company grew very quickly, especially in the last 3 years. As we grew, I admit that we did not share with everyone our goals and targets. We have, however, been actively improving and offering much more competitive wages and bonuses/target goals for our employees. We also do have a performance review every 6 months where we get to talk about personal goals and the company goals so that everyone is on the same page and we can be as transparent as possible. Please also - more...