BlackboxMyCar

BlackboxMyCar Employee Reviews

3.1Pay & Benefits
3.0Job Security & Advancement
Happy place to be but management can be improved
Employee (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC27 June 2019
People are nice and friendly, there is a sense of a community among coworkers and there is no drama or employees with bad intentions.

Job duties and responsibilities can be vague for some employees, leading to a lot of redundancies and inefficiencies. This is due to a lack of proper structure by certain people in management. Small tasks are easily turned into headaches that are just done over and over again due to miscommunication or lack of communication.

CEO seems to listen to employee feedback both from employees and management side. Noticeably distances himself from the rest of employees (not necessarily a bad thing) so don't have much else to say.

With everything considered, I would say BlackboxMyCar is a good place to work at.
Pros
Anonymous feedback improves company culture, helpful and friendly coworkers, sales manager provides fun place to work while getting things done, CEO tries to improve company culture as well as revenue
Cons
Lack of efficient structure for some teams, employees of the month reward are not enticing enough
Happy working here!
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC14 February 2019
Have been working here for a few months, so a fairly thorough understanding of the company's culture, employees and management team.

Seems to have issues in the past that have been resolved, and the CEO and management team are taking big steps to make positive changes. Management seems to really care about the well-being of employees.

More transparency in terms of how we perform as a company will mark more positivity, so that employees can feel empowered as to how their day to day actions lead to overall performance.
Pros
Friendly and helpful coworkers (no selfish people), great sense of team unity, really fun Christmas dinner and activities
Cons
Better office commodities (snacks, utensils, etc.), more transparency on company's performance
Some are angry and bitter, some are really just happy
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC10 November 2018
There is no doubt that there are current and previous employees who are angry or bitter, and some of whom probably have totally legitimate reasons. However, there are also employees, past and present, who are happy with working here.

The majority of unhappy employees are those who work closely with management. The common theme is that the CEO seems to have a poor understanding of realistic expectations from employees. Menial to irrelevant tasks that are not part of the job responsibility and employees are just "expected" to complete them. Those who do not care will treat this without issue but those who care will certainly react negatively.

There does, however, exist a significant amount of employees who are absolutely fine with working here and have no negative outlook towards the company. Most of these employees either understand/feel that the CEO has turned new pages to become a better leader or simply don't feel the CEO has treated them badly.

People who just come here to do work and see the value in their results shouldn't be any significant issues here.
Growing company, but still in its infancy.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond5 September 2018
Don't be fooled by the fake reviews on here.

The management here is extremely inexperienced, and rules over their company like a playground. Their inability to effectively communicate and their tendency to "lash out" at their employees is clear, due to the fact that the majority of their senior members have left within the last 6 months.

There is truth in the team being quite well meshed, incorporating a plethora of different personalities and skillsets. The team there truly was formed on great pillars, with great potential (keyword: was), but that is no longer true as the company stands now.

The monthly company dinners and fun-committee organized events are a good time with coworkers, but note that they are unpaid and "optional". These also lack any real team-building activity. These are held at the end of the workday, but often continue into the late evenings. Furthermore, they are often pushed onto weekends or holidays on the rare occasion. I am sure that when management replies to this review, that they will reiterate that these are "optional".

There is also truth in management doing their best to make things better for their employees and the company, but only after they've received enough backlash from their employees to make a point.
Pros
People are good
Cons
Hours, management
6 September 2018

Thanks for taking the time to leave this feedback. Your input is truly appreciated and we'll work hard to do better!

Hardworking employees with caring management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC3 September 2018
I've been at BlackboxMyCar for more than a year.

It has been an incredible journey watching the company grow into where it is at now today, even through just the last year that I've been employed here. The vast majority of employees are in their early to late 20's but are all mature and responsible individuals who ensure that work is completed to a high degree of professionalism and standard.

Management always tries to do their best to help make things better for the company as well as for its employees. Open-table discussions are always available and encouraged, and management is not afraid to address any mistakes on their behalf in order to make any marked improvements.

With the monthly company dinner and fun-committee organized events every 5-6 weeks, there is a clear bond between coworkers, which is nice to see and makes working here that much more enjoyable. After all, no one wants to dread going to their jobs.
Pros
Friendly and professional employees and management
4 September 2018

Thank you for leaving this review! We're happy to know that you're enjoying your time here at BlackboxMyCar. Please don't hesitate to contact the management team or our HR specialist if you ever come across any issues or concerns.

Thanks!
The Management Team

Very high turnover from top to bottom
Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC11 August 2018
This is an overview of a small company. Because it is small, it is a broad description to protect others who are too scared to speak up for fear of retaliation by coworkers and management.

If you like cars, or if you're looking for an entry level job in a company where you will have to do many things not in your job description (like cleaning out the trash every day) and to use it as a stepping stone on your resume, this may ok. If you like dealing with customers and being able to share ideas, this is also potentially an ok company to work for.

The culture is very traditional Korean, meaning that everyone in the family works in the business and there is not a lot of sharing of information like goals. There is also panic when dealing with unhappy customers because management is inexperienced and doesn't know how to respond always either.

All of us are quite young, this being our first job out of college or even still as students. But because of this environment, there are a lot of many many management mistakes and ruling by fear from top down. It has been a huge struggle keeping good people.

A lot of friends and colleagues have left especially in the last 3-6 months and there is a lot of uncertainty and broken promises from management. There is also no human resource to talk to inside the office and management seems to be too busy to deal with issues.

It's too bad because the people work hard, but most people realize it's not a long term job.
Pros
Occasional free bbq lunches and some team activities. Loaned dash cams if you have a car.
Cons
Feels like school. Whole team is very young and inexperienced, under 30. Lack of company direction and focus from upper management. No internal HR.
4 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share this review. Feedback always go a long way in helping us improve as a company so that we are able to develop a positive work culture for our employees. Myself and the management team had time to reflect and learn from your input. We appreciate your honesty.

We admit that we are not perfect and have made numerous mistakes along the way. We are, however, always attentive to our mistakes and learn from them. We've always had an open door policy for our employees and the management team. I wish you had given us a chance to address the problem by speaking to us. Myself and the management team have always valued honest constructive input and we truly thank those who can share their struggles with the company - and we actively try to make any changes accordingly once we hear from our team. We do not penalize or retaliate. I am sorry that despite our efforts, you did not feel comfortable speaking to us of your struggle. I promise to bring an even more open environment and speak to our team more frequently so everyone feels more comfortable in speaking with the management team.

Our company grew very quickly, especially in the last 3 years. As we grew, I admit that we did not share with everyone our goals and targets. We have, however, been actively improving and offering much more competitive wages and bonuses/target goals for our employees. We also do have a performance review every 6 months where we get to talk about personal goals and the company goals so that everyone is on the same page and we can be as transparent as possible. Please also  more... note that Mr. Jang is actually not involved in making any business decisions in our company.

As a young entrepreneur without any business background, I've wanted to share my entrepreneurial experiences and offer opportunities to young people who wish to make an impact in my company. That being said, we are in the process of hiring more senior executive members so our team can further learn and build a career with us.

I am sorry that we failed to keep a good working environment for you. Despite any mistakes or failures on our part, we always have an optimistic and open perspective to do better - both as a company and our employees. We will continue to work towards creating a better culture.

We are a growing business and we're always open to feedback. We've recently brought on an HR support who is external but readily available to handle any situations as well as focus on elevating our culture. I can assured you that I will be working towards making a better environment for everyone and I hope that you can feel the positive differences in the upcoming months. Thank you for your feedback.

Alex Jang