Black Rock Oceanfront Resort

Black Rock Oceanfront Resort Employee Reviews

Bad management.

Worked for 4 years, and never had enough employees, so everyone was always overworked and under paid. However, I would work here again for the fellow staff and the amazing ocean view.

Pros

Fellow staff

Cons

The view

Ucluelet is a beautiful place to live and Black Rock is a wonderful place to visit. Find anywhere else to work. Even with the new change of Management, this place is a revolving door of staff. As new staff you will be treated like you are expendable and already out the door. Between the toxic work environment and poor work/life balance, it’s hard to find anything nice to say about working here. Use your own judgement about applying.

Pros

Beautiful location

Cons

Closing shift till 11:00pm and scheduled to open for 7:00am

It was great.

The 3 years I've worked there I've met a lot of great people. Typical day at work was to go through my check list whilst doing laundry for Kitchen and Restaurant, wasn't too bad. Management wasn't an issue for me. Workplace culture was decent as you not only meet the HSKP staff but other departments. Things I've learned: Operate the Fire places, Patio door issues, clean and inspect rooms, and how to juggle numerous front desk requests. Hardest part of the job was to juggle numerous front desk requests while trying to complete your daily checklist at the end of the night during summer. The most enjoyable part of my job was to assist and work with my fellow HSKP staff.

The general manager is a donald trump

Management sucks, when staff asked for a meeting to have better communitcation among departments, anyone that initiated the meeting were fired. The management does not care, and the owners are no help

Pros

Coworkers

Beware, stay away

Lack of management made everyone think they are the boss. Felt like a prison working and living at the over priced staff accommodation, can't have guests over unless authorized by management who are never there. Long term staff are rude and non-welcoming. Guests never tip because most come from Europe.

Former Front Desk Employee

I wouldn't recommend any one to work here. Super understaffed and poor management. Nobody has hospitality experience working there. My manager would never go and talk to guests if they asked to speak to a manager. I would have to go back and forth between guests and manager to have a conversation for her. I got overpayed about 2,000 dollars while working for reservations that I had to pay back in increments and you have to fight with the managers if your paycheck was wrong. Be prepared for drama with other employees.

Productive and fun work environment

Productive and fun workplace. The turnover is very low and the quality of life is the best you could find in a remote location. The company demonstrates an appreciation for a job well done regularly. There are regular reviews and rewards to each department and the moral of the entire staff is extremely high. This organization should be among the top 100 companies in the world to work for.

Busy days are better than slower, fun co-workers

The work initially would keep me busy but once everything was done it was difficult to find stuff to keep myself busy for the rest of the shift. Between 9PM-11PM it is rather slow and everything is already complete. Days with events are able to keep me busy though.

Understaffed/horrible management

Worked there for a few seasons, always understaffed with lazy management.. Management doesn't care if their employees are happy which creates a toxic environment for everyone. Not to mention they charge $1200 a month for a shoe box sized staff accom.

Pros

Decent wages

Cons

Under staffed/over worked

Everyone quits here for the same reason.

I am a former employee and, like everyone else left only because of the management. The way the management runs the place makes it destined to fail as a place where anyone would actually choose to work. The staff that are there are either new or are waiting for non soul crushing employment to come along.

Jobs at Black Rock Oceanfront Resort