Black Press Media Group

Black Press Media Group Employee Reviews

Canada57 reviews
Poor management with little to zero input from staff lots of nepotism
This company has a hard time keeping staff due to its low pay and high requirements. Lots of nepotism in this company. Everyone is sleeping with someone or is the brother-sister or girlfriend/boyfriend of someone. That's really the only way to advance or if you've been in the company for a long time. Most people in their positions have no experience for them other than the journalists.
Cons
bad products, lots of demands, unintelligent managers
grate place to start
all you gotta do is stack bundles of papers and watch the route number changes and don't mix them up. Its that simple just look and stack and wrap the load when done.
Absolutely Miserable Job
Riddle me this: How are you supposed to do better after screwing up, when management refuses to explain what you did wrong beyond the guilt trips and shaming they subject you to for it?

I worked as an editor for literally just the three-month probationary period in a small community in which Black Press had a media footprint.

The office was squalid and understaffed, the hours were interminable, the workload was unreasonable.

The job was unspeakably stressful, and the day before I was let go I was humiliated in an open group chat in the Slack messenger service for my mistakes in front of an audience of numerous employees not privy to the matter at all.

The reason my superiors decided to shame me, you ask? Aside from what I can only adequately describe as casual malevolence, the fact my reporter and I weren't meeting the daily quota of mandated streaming video enough for management's liking.

Everyone - and I mean literally everyone - above me in the company hierarchy was inimical and snide, and were entirely unhelpful.

One particular higher-up, whose name I will not mention out of nothing but personal discretion, specifically called me up to berate me and shame me for not getting streaming video of a weather event up on the publication's website quickly enough, after a power outage.

There is little (read: almost no) work-life balance, and if you miss anything, from a committee of the whole meeting to a bake sale down the road, the higher-ups will lash out at you in a manner that's entirely adolescent.

The only remotely tolerable thing about the job I
 - more...
Pros
Pay - if you're high enough in the ranks
Cons
Toxic management, Unreasonable demands
Terrible
Bitterly disappointed with my experience working as a journalist for Black Press. Poverty wages. Confrontational and rude management. No overtime paid, which drove the rate of pay for hours worked to below minimum wage. My colleague was driven into a poor mental health condition, as was I. I was directed to write copy for a publication unrelated to the newspaper...and told to be excited about it...working for free. Black Press is a great place if you want to be on the receiving end of contempt. Tough to produce good work when subjected to extreme negativity.
Productive and fun place to work
Very high stress at times but a very productive place to work. Made you proud to be part of a bigger picture. Fellow staff members were at times the only reason a stayed so long. It was practically a home away from Home. I still miss it to this very day
Foot in the Door
An opportunity to get your name out there and garner useful experience. A great way to network and get your foot into the industry. Wonderful coworkers, some management issues. Company does not communicate well amongst itself.
Dont work here
Black Press Kelowna past Employee:

Black Press Media is trying to keep up with the new digital age but arent hiring enough forward thinking candidates to bring them to there goals. They pay below market rate. Kelowna has a lot of digital competition and Black Press expects their one hire video-journalist to keep up with the competition whom has 4 vixeojoutnalists on one mans shoulders. Management could care less about their staff.
Great job for Multitasking .
The Newspaper industry is so interesting. Lots of room for advancement. So busy days go buy so quickly. Need to be a multi- tasker and work well under pressure.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
Changing industry
Exploitive employer to be avoided
I worked freelance for this company. I wasn't paid for my work, and wasn't credited for some photography. In my experience this employer is to be avoided.
Toxic work environment and under appreciated
This was the worst work environment I have ever worked at in my entire life. Horrible pay, awful management, being overworked for barely any money and absolutely no praise for your work. Just awful.
Pros
Ok benefits
Cons
Too many to count
Worst place
They make promises and can't keep them. Rotten from top down. Stay away. I learned the hard way. I find it amazing they are still in business to this day.
Do you like stress? Join Black Press.
This is a great place to crash and burn. Seriously.
Black Press considers your time disposable, and salaries are below the market rate.

Top down management style. That's not necessarily a bad thing but management is focused on one thing: money, everything else is secondary.

If looking for a job at Black Press seriously take some time to read reviews of the company and research how it operates. And then work somewhere else.
I deliver newspapers for Black Press.
I deliver newspapers to Black Press on Wednesdays and Fridays. I deliver rain or shine. The hardest part is delivering in the rain and cold. The best part are the customers, and i often get tips. The circulation management are very nice.
Great staff, great job, low pay
Loved the job, the pay left a lot to be desired, I see it as a great introductory opportunity to get into journalism, and once you have had the opportunity to grow, you move on.
The Vietnam experience!!!!
If you are highly skilled pressman and educated,,,do not work at this company.You will pose a threat to management of your education your skills leadership means absolutely nothing,,,oh and do not give any suggestion that will save hundreds of thousands of dollars, it will be ignored,,,i have been a pressman for 39 years!!!
Pros
It is a job
Cons
Were do i start?
Toxic environment, total disgrace to journalism
At Black Press, it's not a matter of, "are you happy with your job" but "be thankful you have a job."

Whether you are a starting or veteran journalist, do yourself a big favour and look somewhere else for work. Employees (editorial staff in particular) are treated as sub-human savages; underpaid to below the poverty level and overworked to the point that having a life at all is just impossible.

Oh, and there are daily story counts, so if you don't produce at least 20 to 80,000 stories a day (rehashed online garbage of other online garbage) you will be hearing from management. Remember, quantity is key at BP, much like those cheap plastic toys that arrive on shipping containers in the millions every hour.

Speaking of management. Black Press executives rule like a dictatorship; speak your mind of any concern to ethics, workplace safety or better pay, and you will be humiliated, ignored or punished in some fashion. Seriously, it's like they took leadership notes straight from Stalin's handbook.

If I had a choice to mine salt in Siberia or work at Black Press, I'd earnestly take salt mining in Siberia in a heartbeat.
Pros
Zero.
Cons
No overtime, long hours, low pay, tyrannical management
You don't want to work here
This is a company that has really gone downhill in the past couple of years. In their attempt to remake themselves, they have destroyed themselves instead. Management couldn't care less about employees—if you have questions or concerns, don't bother telling them, you'll be met with contempt and condemnation. All ad design is now done in the Philippines. The company culture is 'stress' and 'complete lack of appreciation'. Morale is so low you have to scrape it off the floor. It's really too bad, it used to be a fantastic company. See a job opening for Black Press? Don't apply. You'll regret it.
Pros
It's a paycheque
Cons
low pay, high stress, lack of appreciation, no morale, no support
delivered newspapers
Delivery of newspapers was definitely a great time for me as a 12-year-old, learning so much such as working through hardships and finishing tasks.

definitely recommend for young kids
Pros
some money
Cons
not a lot of money
Not Good
Where to begin with how bad this company was to work for? Rock bottom wages, huge workload, frequent firings / terminations, high staff turnover and management that views the editorial side of the operation as a drain on shareholders returns. I worked with many awesome reporters and editors there, almost all of whom had the good sense to move on a long time ago.
Pros
You get to have bylines in a print media publication, sometimes if there's a management meeting they'll offer you some of the leftover pizza
Cons
You are expected to sacrifice your personal and financial life for poverty level wages.
Professional
This is a fast paced environment, deadlines are important. If you like deadlines and working under pressure then this is the place to work at. There are many different variety of jobs.
Pros
Fast Paced
Cons
Fast Paced
good place if your starting out in the work force
Most folks are helpful , hours if your new are few and the wages should be increased . Building is hot need more fans and breaks when its hot. Parking for employees is bad,
Pros
nice
Cons
not enough hours or money
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Black Press Media Group. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8