Black Diamond Group

Black Diamond Group Employee Reviews

Canada16 reviews

Insights into Black Diamond Group

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

difficult environment, extreme workloads

With the decline in the Calgary economy job condition became more stressful and intense, many people were having to pick up significant amounts of slack from people that were laid off, it became very difficult for many. The work environment became so intense that people were leaving that did not have jobs to go to.

Positives and Negatives

My experience was great to start, but there was lot of downsizing and turnover during my time at BD. The workload eventually became quite unrealistic without any increase in pay. There were also certain individuals in the company who were quite untrustworthy and made the environment toxic by talking behind people's backs and unnecessarily escalating things in order to get people in trouble.

Be careful of which section of the company you are working in

The lower level employees knows more things about how to complete the jobs than the higher ups. They have a great culture there. The section I was in the lower level employees knew more and trained me more and had to learn things on my own. Nothing was taught or trained by the higher up.

Pros

Great company culture

Cons

No training and under compensation with lots of work

Overall great amazing team, and supportive management.

The company is continuing to grow and mature. The company is getting better and better each each. Cleaning up processes, making better decisions and having more transparency. The downturn had an impact on the company but company worked at making good decisions to make it stronger and more diversified. Black Diamond is putting a lot of focus on communication, diversity and career growth. Everyone is very eager to help out and improve the customer experience. There are new challenges every day and thus new opportunities to make things better. Senior management listens to your ideas and gives you autonomy to make it happen if it aligns well with the business and the mandates.

Pros

Smart committed great people, Fairly flat organization, Great company to allow you to be a part of to make a change, Little politics

Cons

Lots of manual processes that are slowly being replaced but still not efficient.

Great company to make your mark

- Lots of autonomy to make an impact - Great coworkers - Flat, with not a large hierarchy - Great benefits - Fun social club It is a great company to work for. Highly recommend!

Management knows what they're doing

Management knows what they're doing. learned a lot from the finance team. good culture despite the changing landscapes in the industry. several cuts made the company lean but stronger.

Decent place to work. I came here during their growth phase and have learned a lot.

Good place to work but challenging. Constant changes but they miss on communicating to the employees well. Overall a good place I have enjoyed working here and learned lots.

Pros

Can learn lots if you align yourself to the right leadership group.

Cons

Long hours on occassion wothout any compenstaion for it.

A great place to learn all different aspects of construction

I enjoyed this type of work as it is not a repetitive job. There are so many different aspects of setting up camps. I have experienced anything from rolling around under trailers to finish carpentry to operating equipment to being a lead hand and working with management.

Pros

Comfortable work environment

Cons

Must be able to be away from home for long periods of time

Excellent company

loved working for black diamond group. Really good company overall. Typical day of work consisted of working ten hours, long but worth it. Excellent co workers.

Pros

salary

High stress, low pay

This is a very difficult organization to work in. The leaders of this comapny only care about profits. They keep changing their minds about everything and don't stick to their plans. It is a disrespectful, high stress culture. They have a really nice office and pay peanuts to their staff.

Excellent Employer

Progressive organization with a great culture and an excellent work/life balance. I learn a lot during my time there. I looked forward to go to work every Monday morning. The management is excellent to work for, there was always open communication and among my co-workers great attitude and they are all team players.

Camp life is a great way to save money but you have to commit yourself.

A typical day would be reading consumables ( propane, water and sewage levels) and doing any repairs around the camp as requested. You learn how to challenge yourself and adapted to the situations. I found management does not stand behind their employee. Your co-workers become your family members while away from home and you look forward to seeing them. The hardest part is not getting the supplies you need from management because they nickel and dime you and then lie right to your face. You can be called out in the wee hours of the morning at -30 below to unthaw frozen pipes, dig through snow to fix broken sewage lines. I found the best thing about this job is when your there at the opening of your camp right through to the closing of your camp and looking back at how well you did in keeping issues to a minimum.

Pros

Challenging, make new friends, be part of a team, good way to save money.

Cons

call out at any hour, cold, dirty, maintenance manager will lie to you, always away from home but thats YOUR choice

Challenging yet satisfying experience

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Black Diamond. It was very challenging environment where I was able to introduce lot of process improvements, kind of work I enjoy. I was lucky to have supporting supervisors. Got a chance to build a team of talented and committed individuals who worked very hard.

Exciting and challenging place to work.

Very much enjoy my job with Black Diamond, I get along with everyone great. Being away from my family for three weeks at a time is hard to maintain, and still be a positive role model to my children.

Pros

fun and challenging place to work, with free room and board.

Cons

Away from home for 3 weeks at a time

Umm

Good company. Great Ideas. Wonderful people. Low paying. Lots of experience for young people breaking their way into the industry.

Pros

Working out of town for Camp owner

Cons

You sometimes get the worst rooms

Stressfull job enviroment

Black Diamond Group is a stressful company to work for. Most of the days in a week the employees had to stay late to meet company's expectation. The company believes is hire and fire policy, reason staff turnover is over 30%. Not at all a good company to work for.

Pros

Calgary Downtown office

Cons

Stressfull, excessive workload, hire & fire

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Black Diamond Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Black Diamond Group with