Black Diamond Group

Black Diamond Group Employee Reviews

Canada16 reviews
With the decline in the Calgary economy job condition became more stressful and intense, many people were having to pick up significant amounts of slack from people that were laid off, it became very difficult for many. The work environment became so intense that people were leaving that did not have jobs to go to.
My experience was great to start, but there was lot of downsizing and turnover during my time at BD. The workload eventually became quite unrealistic without any increase in pay.

There were also certain individuals in the company who were quite untrustworthy and made the environment toxic by talking behind people's backs and unnecessarily escalating things in order to get people in trouble.
The lower level employees knows more things about how to complete the jobs than the higher ups. They have a great culture there. The section I was in the lower level employees knew more and trained me more and had to learn things on my own. Nothing was taught or trained by the higher up.
Pros
Great company culture
Cons
No training and under compensation with lots of work
The company is continuing to grow and mature. The company is getting better and better each each. Cleaning up processes, making better decisions and having more transparency. The downturn had an impact on the company but company worked at making good decisions to make it stronger and more diversified. Black Diamond is putting a lot of focus on communication, diversity and career growth. Everyone is very eager to help out and improve the customer experience. There are new challenges every day and thus new opportunities to make things better. Senior management listens to your ideas and gives you autonomy to make it happen if it aligns well with the business and the mandates.
Pros
Smart committed great people, Fairly flat organization, Great company to allow you to be a part of to make a change, Little politics
Cons
Lots of manual processes that are slowly being replaced but still not efficient.
- Lots of autonomy to make an impact
- Great coworkers

- Flat, with not a large hierarchy

- Great benefits

- Fun social club

It is a great company to work for. Highly recommend!
Management knows what they're doing. learned a lot from the finance team. good culture despite the changing landscapes in the industry. several cuts made the company lean but stronger.
Good place to work but challenging. Constant changes but they miss on communicating to the employees well. Overall a good place I have enjoyed working here and learned lots.
Pros
Can learn lots if you align yourself to the right leadership group.
Cons
Long hours on occassion wothout any compenstaion for it.
I enjoyed this type of work as it is not a repetitive job. There are so many different aspects of setting up camps. I have experienced anything from rolling around under trailers to finish carpentry to operating equipment to being a lead hand and working with management.
Pros
Comfortable work environment
Cons
Must be able to be away from home for long periods of time
loved working for black diamond group. Really good company overall. Typical day of work consisted of working ten hours, long but worth it. Excellent co workers.
Pros
salary
Cons
This is a very difficult organization to work in. The leaders of this comapny only care about profits. They keep changing their minds about everything and don't stick to their plans. It is a disrespectful, high stress culture. They have a really nice office and pay peanuts to their staff.
Progressive organization with a great culture and an excellent work/life balance. I learn a lot during my time there. I looked forward to go to work every Monday morning. The management is excellent to work for, there was always open communication and among my co-workers great attitude and they are all team players.
A typical day would be reading consumables ( propane, water and sewage levels) and doing any repairs around the camp as requested. You learn how to challenge yourself and adapted to the situations. I found management does not stand behind their employee. Your co-workers become your family members while away from home and you look forward to seeing them. The hardest part is not getting the supplies you need from management because they nickel and dime you and then lie right to your face. You can be called out in the wee hours of the morning at -30 below to unthaw frozen pipes, dig through snow to fix broken sewage lines.
I found the best thing about this job is when your there at the opening of your camp right through to the closing of your camp and looking back at how well you did in keeping issues to a minimum.
Pros
Challenging, make new friends, be part of a team, good way to save money.
Cons
call out at any hour, cold, dirty, maintenance manager will lie to you, always away from home but thats YOUR choice
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Black Diamond. It was very challenging environment where I was able to introduce lot of process improvements, kind of work I enjoy. I was lucky to have supporting supervisors.

Got a chance to build a team of talented and committed individuals who worked very hard.
Very much enjoy my job with Black Diamond, I get along with everyone great. Being away from my family for three weeks at a time is hard to maintain, and still be a positive role model to my children.
Pros
fun and challenging place to work, with free room and board.
Cons
Away from home for 3 weeks at a time
Good company. Great Ideas. Wonderful people. Low paying.
Lots of experience for young people breaking their way into the industry.
Pros
Working out of town for Camp owner
Cons
You sometimes get the worst rooms
Black Diamond Group is a stressful company to work for. Most of the days in a week the employees had to stay late to meet company's expectation. The company believes is hire and fire policy, reason staff turnover is over 30%. Not at all a good company to work for.
Pros
Calgary Downtown office
Cons
Stressfull, excessive workload, hire & fire