Black Collar Society

Black Collar Society Employee Reviews

Unorganized Establishment
Administrative Assistant (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 January 2020
My time at Black Collar Society was very unfortunate. There was favouritism, unfair pay, no training, and as my last resort I almost had to write to employment standards. I was hired as a full-time employee but was only given part-time (if that). One of my shifts was from 5:45AM-9:00AM and in that same day I was expected to work 5:45PM-9:00PM. When I asked about it might being a mistake I was reassured that it was actually expected. Management was hostile when asking questions, no communication between any employees, and very unfortunate that clients were lied to about someone being with the animals all night. They were left alone in an industrial area of the city with little to no security but clients still paid hundreds, even thousands to board their pets here.
Terrible place to work.
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 November 2019
Severely underpaid and horribly run. One of the worst jobs I ever had. Nobody who has ever owned this company ever had a clue about proper dog care or how the industry should work.
Best Place to be now.
Hotel Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 June 2019
Black Collar Society is honestly amazing ever since the owner ship has changed. They love and care for the dogs just as much as all the staff here do.
Pros
Amazing new ownership
Great family run pet care facility
Groomer / daycare attendant (Current Employee) –  3644 Manchester Rd SE18 June 2019
Of all the dog facilities I've worked at Black Collar Society is the most organized and team based of them all. The new owners are very diligent to learn more about the pet industry and actually care about their brand on top of the dogs. The whole team puts in effort to continue education and we all communicate openly without fear of tension and are beyond honest with the clients. Most places will try to sugar coat dog behavior in attempts to keep the pet owners happy but at BCS we're straight up with teammates & customers and work to find a solution not a bandaid. The owners really care about staff safety to which is something I seldomly see at other grooming shops or pet hotels.
Pros
Dogs, schedule flexibility, open communication, team/family feeling.
Cons
The wage thats typical for the animal industry unless you're a Vet.
Worst Dog Daycare Ever
Dog Daycare Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 April 2019
Within hours of working there you’re left on your own to supervise animals, bath animals, attend the front of the store and no training is offered. Management is never there, rude to employees and lacks basic knowledge of dog behaviour. Worst dog daycare in the city.
Cons
Everything.
Not good
Hotel concierge (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 March 2019
I have a lot of experience working in this industry, from the outside black collar society seems great. From my experience (1 trial shift) it needs a lot of work. 1 person working per shift, expected to answer phone calls, watch dogs, bathe dogs, etc. Dogs were left outside on their own with no supervision, little dogs inside were alone making messes everywhere. I would never work somewhere that I wouldn’t feel good about bringing my own dog to, and I would not bring my dogs there.
Asked to lie to customers
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary14 March 2019
Was told to be transparent to customers, then asked to lie in the next breath. The expectations were unrealistic and there was no assistance when needed.
Pros
Dogs
Cons
Unmanageable expectations, unethical requests
Owner will get you to lie to customers, no room for growth, bad hours, no training
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 December 2018
Daycare workers are left alone with sometimes up to 30 dogs. Having to deal with fights, uncomfortable dogs, dogs that cannot go with other dogs. Daycare workers also have little to no training and will be left alone after a week. Pay is minimum wage and the amount of work put in should justify a better pay.
Walkers must pay for vehicle, gas, maintenance, ALL equipment necessary other than the first 8 leashes and a belt. Pay is about minimum wage even though it looks to be more. Also absolutely no room for growth and no training on dog handling
Pros
Work with dogs
Cons
-work some weekends, low pay, no training, management is hard to get a hold of
Bad place to work
Hotel Concierge (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 November 2018
Management doesn't train properly and leaves you to work on your own after about three initial shifts. Scheduling is always an issue, and if problems arise you're on your own to figure it out unless one of the managers answer their phones as there is only ever one person in the building. Information is never transmitted clearly between staff members, which lead to several issues with customers.
purrrfect job for an animal lover
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  3644 manchester rd sw19 November 2018
Great job if you love working outdoors and with animals, you get to work independently and can adjust your own pay by how many jobs you would like to take. Does involve a certain level of commitment and flexibility, as the jobs change each day, never boring!
Pros
working with animals, work outdoors, independent work, fast paced, no day ever the same, no office, no desk, build your own salary
Cons
must have flexible schedule, comfortable driving in all road conditions, use of personal vehicle for work, lifestyle job
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 November 2018
I highly recommend working for the Black Collar Society. I was an employee for a long time (mobile service), and I have only good experiences. The atmosphere at work was great, all co-workers were harmonious, friendly and very helpful. The manager and owner are always there to help you if you have any problem or question. They don't leave you alone. Working in this company is a pleasure but you can also learn a lot about dog care, it's also a great exercise for you. You have the opportunity to spend time with different dogs, with different behaviors. And there is nothing better than working with dogs and a great team.