Black & McDonald Limited

Black & McDonald Limited Employee Reviews

Safe work environment with great company core values

Overall my internship here has proven to be beneficial for furthering my career in the construction industry. Although I questioned whether my time spent here was worth it due to repetitive tasks that I struggled to connect to my education, it seems that having Black and MacDonald on my resume has been a key factor in obtaining my next position with another employer. It's not easy to do, but sometimes you just have to put your head down and power through the slow days in order to reap the benefits of something that you have committed to doing. Thank you B&M for teaching me this vital lesson which I will apply in all aspects of life.

Pros

Safe Environment, Good Company Core Values, Not too strict on being late/ longer than expected lunches/ leaving early etc.

Cons

Repetitive tasks, Minimal engagement from management

1 September 2021
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review, we are glad that you found your time with B&M beneficial. Thank you for your dedication and work as a member of the Black & McDonald team!

Best company

Best company to work for in Canada. They have many different trade opportunities and also many in office staff they need always. They pay great and its always a wonderful day working for this company! So many great people!

3 September 2021
We greatly appreciate your positive feedback and the time you took to post your review. Thank you for your dedication and work as a member of the Black & McDonald team!

Great Opportunity and Learning Experience

Supportive team members and managementWork culture is idealContinuous learning is promotedInternship allows exposure to various areas of the team and organization

27 August 2021
We greatly appreciate your positive feedback and the time you took to post your review! Thank you for your dedication and work during your time with Black & McDonald and the goodwill you’ve shown us through sharing your experience.

Management only out for themselves

I have worked for a few contractors both large and small. Once you hit management with black & mcdonald they seem to take off the hardhat and stick their head up their a**

Pros

Nice van

1 September 2021
Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience with the management team. We are always striving to improve as an employer, and will be sure to take your feedback into consideration.

Good learning environment

Was hired as an intern for HSE. Contract position. Management is good to work for. Great people in the office and the field. Most enjoyable part of the job was travelling to various worksites throughout SK. and getting to meet new people.

Pros

Good working atmosphere

Cons

Economy driven buisness

25 August 2021
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review, we are glad to hear that you had a positive learning experience across the B&M sites that you visited. Thank you for your dedication and work as a member of the Black & McDonald team!

Excellent Introduction to Construction Industry

Supportive senior employees encouraged me to try new things. In meetings, there is a mutual respect between people of all levels of seniority. Excellent opportunities if you voice interest in learning something new.

Pros

Work-life balance, flexibility in hours

Cons

Long wait times between tasks, Limited opportunity for site visits

25 August 2021

Great Company to Work For

Black & McDonald has a great internship program and I felt I learned a lot the last couple months I worked there. My mentor was great, they really took their time to teach me and made the whole internship experience fun.

24 August 2021

Black & McDonald is a great place to work. The company values its employees and I felt that I had a good support network within the company. My mentors were also great and very encouraging.

24 August 2021

Très jolie

Très sympathique cultivé l'essentiel est invisible à l'oeil ouvert sur la scène internationale du monde entier. Oui c'est vrai que c'est pas facile de trouver une autre solution pour une raison de plus.

Commercial yes... Industrial no

Work both commercially and industrially with B+M.... Worked as a project manager commercially and project cost controls on the industrial side..... Commercially they were great to work for, industrially it was a mess....

25 May 2021
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We are always looking for ways to improve as an employer and appreciate your feedback.

Jobs at Black & McDonald Limited

See more jobs

Great company to work for

Others are really jealous I have this job I get this often. Really no stress at all what more should someone ask absolutely hands down this is by far the best company.

Pros

No stress, good pay what more do you want

Cons

Absolutely nothing

19 April 2021

Great People, Lots of knowledge

Great people, I found that if you work outside of Toronto you may not see the great projects that B&M is known for, they do not have very strong district managers in provinces other than Ontario.

Pros

Great work/home life balance

Cons

disengaged management

15 April 2021

toxic management

it would be a great place to work if you could get even a 45 hr week no overtime no opportunity to advance. Management belittles crew. Crew are good people.

Pros

benifits

Cons

no hours frequent lay offs

6 April 2021
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. Your feedback about management is concerning, we encourage you to bring any unprofessional conduct as well as your issues with overtime to the attention of your manager or Human Resources Partner. We value all members of our team and continue to strive towards a workplace that we can all be proud of.

Bad Company To Work For

Uncompetitive and low paying, not worth working at.Better companies to work for Work is also very dangerous Bad Covid 19 policyDoesn’t include sick pay

Pros

End of year dinner

Cons

Low pay zero benefits

1 March 2021
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. As a current employee, your feedback indicating an unsafe workplace is concerning. Black & McDonald is committed to providing a safe work environment, and we encourage you to bring potential hazards to the attention of your supervisor, or Health and Safety Representative.

Overworked and underpaid

If you'd like to get worked to the bone for terrible pay and no bonus, this is the employer for you!This employer is also lacking proper management.

25 February 2021
We are very sorry to hear your experience with Black & McDonald was not a positive one. We consider people our greatest asset and take your feedback very seriously. Thank you for taking the time to post your review and giving us the opportunity to learn and improve.

Energetic and productive environment

fast-paced and I am left on my own to organize and schedule my work as it needs to get done. Love the environment and the freedom to organize my priorities, even though they change continuously!

Pros

independence and freedom to prioritize my daily schedule

Cons

SAP payroll system needs updating

11 January 2021

The single worse place to work. Management is terrible

Management needs revamping and plenty of help. Project manager in particular. It’s a difficult place to work and be. Totally not worth the place is to work. No good Wage or salary can make that company worth working for

Pros

Salary is good.

Cons

Salary is not good enough to put up with the narcissist behaviour of B&Ms management

6 November 2020

1 March 2021
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. As an organization, we have undertaken large scale reviews of our compensation structure and strive to pay accordingly. Work life balance is also something we feel strongly about. We are continuously looking for ways to improve as an employer, your feedback is appreciated.

Focused more on productivity than safety or quality

I was hired at 18 years old my first construction job. They took advantage of my (lack of) understanding of employment laws by telling me I couldn't take lunch breaks, or bathroom breaks. Leaving me alone all day with no spotter on a Vermeer RTX-1250 mid-winter in -30 with no option to warm up. Even eating my lunch in the field. I didn't know the laws, and they knew that very well. This happened 2 years ago, I hope they are doing better now. I did, however, make decent money, and they allowed me to learn a variety of equipment and processes. Great company for someone starting in construction who wishes to learn and work hard! Not great for someone who wants to work safely, and have a good work/life balance

Pros

Learning opportunities, overtime, Loa, task variety

Cons

Religious discrimination, poor safety culture, poor work/life balance, irregular schedule, seasonal, unorganized

15 December 2020

Room for Growth

B&M is huge. So the room for growth and development is also giant. Spent many years there and was able to grow my skill set exponentially. All round it was a great experience.

Pros

Extended wellness benefits. Flexible Hours when necessary.

Cons

Salary

27 August 2020

Terrible culture, no advancement, unreasonably low compensation

The work culture was terrible in the area I worked, but in other areas, it seemed to be exactly what some people would expect. There was many instances of racial profiling that I had witnessed, and workplace bullying was a regular occurrence. The compensation at Black & McDonald was about 20% lower than any other company I have worked for in the same role, and bonuses were based on subjectivity, not performance. Due to the regular occurrence of workplace bullying and racial profiling, it's hard to not feel those bonuses were not paid out based on opinions stemming from racism and popularity. This statement is made based on first hand observations, not second hand information.

Pros

If you are looking for a long term employment option, Black & McDonald would be a good place for you...if you are willing to play the game.

Cons

Inequality, bullying, racism, general disregard for performance monitoring, coaching to actuals vs. biases, make Black & McDonald the most poisoned work environment I have ever been in

27 August 2020

Bureautique construction

Changement constant de la direction et donc changement constant des règlements. Les employés ne sont pas considérés et ils n’ont aucune confiance envers eux. La seule chose qui importe pour eux c’est de faire des sous.

Pros

Flexibilité d’horaire

Cons

Manque de confiance envers leur employés

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Black & McDonald Limited. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement