Black & McDonald Limited

Black & McDonald Limited Employee Reviews

Canada271 reviews

blackbmsafetyprojectsiteconstructioncontractcrew

Liked the job

Decent place to work. Enjoyed the job and the people I worked with. Lots of turnover in management and changes each time made it no longer desirable to work there.

Great place to work!

I've been working in the organization for 4 years now and love the company. My manager is supportive and my colleagues are engaged. It's a fast paced environment, which I enjoy.

1 February 2023
We greatly appreciate your positive feedback and the time you took to post your review. Thank you for your dedication and work as a member of the Black and McDonald team!

Insights into Black & McDonald Limited

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Great Company to work for

Fast paced, great people to work with, treats everyone equally, good management with fun activities, gives christmas gifts and annual bonus., overall great company to work in

Pros

Employee appreciation day, summer barbecue, christmas party

24 January 2023

Fast paced. Not a lot of help from management.

Fast paced. Not a lot of help from upper management. Site manager was easy to work with. The pay rate was average. Work schedule was good for living in Fort McMurray.

10 January 2023
Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience with the management team. We are always striving to improve as an employer and will be sure to take your feedback into consideration.

Very remote location with great scenery

Good place to work. Working long hours and pay was good. Was working in a very remote area and also worked underground in a power plant. Travel in and out of tunnel was in a gator

3 January 2023
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review, we appreciate your feedback.

Not a fun workplace

If you are looking to advance in the world this is not the job for youYou are a work horse and the more you do the more they give you.. no appreciation no raises, no job security

7 December 2022
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We are sorry to hear you did not have a great experience working with your team. Your comments have been shared with our HR team.

Productivity and safety is very implemented in all aspects of job

The management is efficient and safety is the priority. They always perform meetings to ensure that job is done with good knowledge and safety. Prejob hazard assessment is first thing to do before any job.Workers are treated with respect and honesty. Efforts are made to safety customers during any intervention.

Cons

Health care provided on site.

16 November 2022
We greatly appreciate your positive feedback and the time you took to post your review! Thank you for your dedication and work during your time with Black & McDonald and the goodwill you’ve shown us through sharing your experience.

Terrible Place to work

This place is awful to work for. Management have no idea what they are doing. Other unionized employees treat you like dirt. While calling you absurd names while at work. This place is for uneducated individuals with no brain

Pros

SOme workers

Cons

Idiot workers

21 November 2022
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. Black & McDonald does not tolerate anyone humiliating, intimidating, or harassing others in the workplace. We have policies and guidelines in place to address these types of behaviour – and we continue to reinforce the expectation of zero tolerance throughout the company. We are sorry to hear that this was your experience, and we take your feedback seriously.

There is a good team environment and they give full understanding of it task and very safety orientation. Supervisors are very helpful. Would definitely recommend

1 November 2022

Productive, friendship, very top on safety. Good relationship with custommers

It's exited to work with this company.They are functionning on very high safety standard.Prejob hazard assessmentRegular meetings,Immadiate response at every critical situation.They are very concerned by the safety and welfare of the workers.

Cons

Heathcare

26 October 2022

Challenging just like any HVAC job

Black and McDonald is by far the best company I have ever worked for. To be more specific Black and McDonalds London branch. The management and technicians make this place far superior than anything I've ever encountered. It's hard to judge what any of the other branches are like but this one really does have its s*** together.

12 October 2022

Stressful job and less wages

All other companies are paying $40/h plus benefits even Sobeys.But I don’t know why this company is not realistic about the inflation and situation in the industry about the demand of Ammonia refrigeration staff. This is very stressful job. We should be paid a stress allowance on top of $40/h.

27 September 2022
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. Black & McDonald is committed to providing employees with a total compensation package that is commensurate with their responsibilities and performance, competitive with similar jobs in similar industries, and perceived to be fair and equitable. We are continuously looking for ways to improve as an employer, your feedback is appreciated.

Management need reviewing

Turned into a power culture last 5 years. Favoritism to certain employees. Good company overall the owners are good people. They need to review their management.

19 September 2022
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience with the management team. We are always striving to improve as an employer and will take your feedback into consideration. Thank you for your dedication and work as a member of the Black & McDonald team.

Good place to learn, not so great for advancing.

Lack of communications amongst upper management teams, there are always arguments as to who is the better manager.Great place to start, but do not stay too long.

21 September 2022
Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience with the management team. We are always looking for ways to improve as an employer and for opportunities to invest in our employees so they can advance their careers at B&M. We appreciate your feedback.

More than just an Intern

This paid internship wasn't just small tasks to help the company. It gave me the opportunity to work on large projects that will have a big impact on the company. The internship program was structured so interns are supported and learn skills that can listed easily on a resume. The programs ultimate goal is to promote development and make interns strong candidates for future opportunities.

15 September 2022

Bonne compagnie

Bonne compagnie, avec gens competent. Beau party de compagnie.

15 September 2022

Not the best experience and not up with the times (hybrid working)

Industrial division lacks clear focus on what jobs they are well suited for, lacks talented employees to actually win work and delivery the project well.

Pros

Some decent people

Cons

Benefits, flexibility

19 September 2022
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. Black & McDonald strives to incorporate the best working practices that consider the safety of our employees and ability to meet operational needs. Black & McDonald works to ensure that all delivery timelines are met within reason, and that our business partners are satisfied with the result. We apologize if this was not your specific experience, but we look forward to improving our processes in the future

Intern experience at Black & McDonald

Forward looking company that prioritizes the workplace environment and the employees within. Management provides all the necessary resources needed to provide the best quality service in the industry.

26 August 2022

Great work experience and I learned a lot

Black and McDonald is a great company. From my first day here i was accepted by all my co workers and they remained helpful throughout my work term. My manager truly cared about my learning and helped largely in my professional development.

26 August 2022

B&M is a great company to work with

My previous B&M supervisor help me to succeed in my career, and giving me proper training. lots of benefits in this company. I have learned a lot since I started working in 2020.

Non inclusive culture.

I really liked my job and I did well working with my supervisor.When my supervisor retired it was not long before I was walked off site. There is no job security at this company.

Pros

Parking included with job.

Cons

No job security.

9 September 2022
We’re sorry to hear that this has been your experience. We encourage you to bring this to the attention of the Regional Human Resources Partner, so that it may be further investigated. We value all members of our team and continue to work on having a workplace that we are all very proud of.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Black & McDonald Limited. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement