Black & McDonald Limited Employee Reviews

Professional environmemt
Stationary Engineer/Building Operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 October 2018
Productive ,educational,friendly,task oriented work environment.
must have the ability to work independently and respond to emergencies quickly.
Must interact seamlessly with a wide variety of clients and contractors.
management ,adequate but overwhelmed.
continental shifts are not healthy.(sleep deprived)
always something new to learn and help staff with.(good )
Pros
learning environment
Cons
Long hours.
Excellent place to start and finish your career
Recruitment Manager (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON30 August 2018
Black & McDonald is a fantastic organization with an outstanding corporate culture. Because of the diversity of projects we're part of, and all the support staff required to successfully complete those projects, there are endless opportunities to learn and grow.

Poor communication & leadership
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON27 August 2018
Management rarely communicates with employees, apart from quarterly town-hall meetings.

There is no clear direction provided from upper management, the company lacks the desire to move with the times/make process improvements.
Pros
Work-life balance
Cons
Lack of opportunity for growth
12 September 2018

We are very sorry to hear your experience with Black & McDonald was not a positive one. We consider people our greatest asset and take your feedback very seriously. Thank you for taking the time to post your review and giving us the opportunity to learn and improve.

Great company to work for
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 July 2018
Huge company that treats its employees well. The owner of the company is very involved with what is going on. I was laid off, but I would go back in a second. It provided me with excellent experience and everyone I worked with was awesome.
Pros
great people, good management, awesome experience.
12 September 2018

We greatly appreciate your positive feedback and the time you took to post your review! Thank you for your dedication and work during your time with Black & McDonald and the goodwill you’ve shown us through sharing your experience.

Best management I have ever experienced
Building Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 June 2018
This was a very good experience for me. The company had excellent management and safety policies. The only bad part was I was assigned to a very quiet building where not much work was needed, so I was basically bored out of my tree. If I were to get a more challenging opportunity, I would definitely work there again. I actually regret leaving sometimes, since the job I took after leaving here has turned out to be a nightmare.
Pros
Very supportive management, safety was top priority
Cons
assigned position was very boring

Fair Company
Project (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 June 2018
Well advanced company. has been around for a long while. A family company. need to do a lot to understand the system and culture to be able to work well.
12 September 2018

We greatly appreciate your positive feedback and the time you took to post your review. Thank you for your dedication and work as a member of the Black & McDonald team! Since we’re always looking to learn and improve, we’re also grateful for your thoughtful feedback.

Good people at Black and McDonald to work with
Mechanical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 May 2018
I worked at Black and McDonald for 8 years and was constantly challenged by customers with problems and had fun dealing with problem solving. It was never a challenge to maintain a professional attitude.

Don't Waste your time here
Electrician Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON15 May 2018
never in my life have i ever met such a bunch of ignorant people that have no clue what goes on at there job sites. Preach safety and then do the opposite!

Supportive work place
Apprentice HVAC Technician (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK5 May 2018
Everyday at Black & McDonald was different. I was able to finish the assigned tasks on time.

The Black & McDonald management were very good at giving feedback about how the employees were doing.

excelent
Carpenter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  voisey bay labrador4 May 2018
A good company to work for. Good Wages, met some friends. Was laid off due to shortage of work. I would go back to working with them if there was more work upcoming.

No Respect for Employees
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON17 April 2018
Senior Management did not have professional attitude toward department personnel.
Employees were just a number.
No organization or training at job start up.
Much favoritism

No Work Life balance
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 April 2018
While working with Black and McDonald I have almost never had a lunch break and work 50 hours plus a week. People are great but effort in doesn't equal effort out.
Pros
People
Cons
Long hours with out pay
Very discouraging environment
Electrician, Epuipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Ontario/British Columbia29 March 2018
Worked for them a few times now. Union, so I was a name hire. Atmosphere has become extremely poisonous due to pathetic management, site leadership and lack of interest in their own HSE program. The name of the game is bonus money grabbing, before corporate figures out how much the projects have lost. Some of the guys were good to work with, unfortunately too many were arrogant, without the grit to justify the lack of personality. Most of them will tell you how much they know, but nothing ever seems to be done right. Sad to see, as they used to be a great company to work for.
Pros
Free used hard hat
Cons
Pathetic management
just a number
sale (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 March 2018
The one thing you should know about black & McDonald is if you get hurt they will get rid of you; seen it time and time again. It was a great place to work at one time but know you are just a number . Most of the management are just looking out for their bonus so like I said you are just a number in their eyes.
Interesting Place to work
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 February 2018
Black & McDonald is a large company that has no "Middle Class" per say. The people at the top make the money, the people at the bottom get opportunities but the people in the middle tread water not getting ahead regardless of how skilled or experienced they are.

If you are a threat to the senior management you will not likely get any opportunities for advancement and the company is run by sales people with no actual knowledge of the fields they oversee.
Pros
Work at home
Cons
Issues with Morals and Ethics as a company
Terrible Company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 February 2018
Was employed here in 2016 with promises of full time when they found out I was pregnant they decided not to offer me the full time position because they didn’t want to pay into maternity leave. You give it your all and you get nothing in return but empty promises. They have a high turn over and that’s because they have people in there who cannot do their jobs! Too much favortism and office affairs lol lol
Cons
HR Management
12 September 2018

Not what they used to be
Journeyman Plumber (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK16 February 2018
It used to have its perks to be a proud employee.. Everything has gone down hill and it starts with management and their deaf ears and egotistical attitudes along with inexperienced and/or underqualified people holding their positions.
Pros
Standard pay rate, weekly pay
Cons
Lack of worker appreciation, underqualified office employees, bad business decisions
Building a culture
Electrical QA/QC and Turnover Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 February 2018
Hired on as an electrician and moved up the chain to foreman the QA/QC lead on one project and Commission Tech on another. Black & Mc Donald has a very good work culture.
Pros
very good management
Cons
communication
Never the same day twice :)
Billing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Greater Napanee, ON10 February 2018
A fast paced fun place to work , I enjoy the work and the pressure though that may not be for everyone. Most projects have timelines and deadlines that must be adhered to. Must be efficient and work well under pressure with multiple sources of information and be able to prioritize your work.
Pros
Great learning experiences
Cons
working out a trailer on job site, no consistant location or job security
Good co-workers
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Labrador City, NL8 February 2018
Putting diesel fuel in different types of equipment, picking up co-workers at airport from their turn around. Clean company vehicles, cleaning company lunchroom
Pros
The pay
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Black & McDonald Limited. Our community is ready to answer.