Black & McDonald Limited Employee Reviews

Building a culture
Electrical QA/QC and Turnover Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 February 2018
Hired on as an electrician and moved up the chain to foreman the QA/QC lead on one project and Commission Tech on another. Black & Mc Donald has a very good work culture.
Pros
very good management
Cons
communication
Never the same day twice :)
Billing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Greater Napanee, ON10 February 2018
A fast paced fun place to work , I enjoy the work and the pressure though that may not be for everyone. Most projects have timelines and deadlines that must be adhered to. Must be efficient and work well under pressure with multiple sources of information and be able to prioritize your work.
Pros
Great learning experiences
Cons
working out a trailer on job site, no consistant location or job security
Good co-workers
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Labrador City, NL8 February 2018
Putting diesel fuel in different types of equipment, picking up co-workers at airport from their turn around. Clean company vehicles, cleaning company lunchroom
Pros
The pay
Cons
enjoy productivity and friendship on jobsite
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Horizon CNRL Fort Mcmurray1 February 2018
Maintenance and Construction Electrician
• Planned and installed lighting system
• Installed Transform
• Pulled and Glanded cables and built cable tray
• Inspected Terminated MCC circuits
poor supervision
Labourer/Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON6 January 2018
overall great place to work other then the project manger and supervisor.. they made people not want to come to work because they say they would fix a problem and it would never get fix thus ended in people getting injured
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 December 2017
Providing support to executives and staff was very satisfying. Learned how to arrange a company event. Relaxed environment with many long term staff working well together.
Challenging Workplace
Manager (Former Employee) –  Courtice, ON18 November 2017
Leadership Practices are inconsistent. Reporting issues to Human Resources are not resolved. Little interest in development of staff. The culture is for the construction industry alone.
Pros
Focus on Safety
Family like, team built company
Contract Manager FMO (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON4 November 2017
Great place to work.
From exec down to coworkers, there is support and trust and cooperation to make every day a success for individuals that leads to the sucess of the organization.
Good company but no job security
Financial Controller (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON2 November 2017
Job security is not good. Very easy to get fired or laid off if the manager doesnèt like you, even if your job performance is good.

Stay on the managementès good side and stay active in the company social events and your job should be more secure.
Pros
prestigious company
Cons
managers are not approachable and easy to talk to.
excellent job
Dispatcher/Custome Service Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC30 October 2017
excellent salary and benefits. only reason left was relocation of call centre ffrom Vernon to Toronto. Otherwise and excellent company to work for in al other respects.
Productive and fun
Junior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 September 2017
My time working at Black & McDonald has been nothing but positive. I would definitely recommend this work environment too anyone interesting in a professional career opportunity.
Great company to work for. Management team was excellent and they were great to their craft workers.
HSE Advisor (Former Employee) –  Muskrat Falls, NL14 September 2017
I enjoyed my 4 months of work with Black & McDonald and if I had the chance to work there again I would. Great management and very safety oriented. By far they live up to their expectations.
great work atmosphere
Plumber (Former Employee) –  Goose Bay, NL30 August 2017
I would love to work with this company again. very good leadership and a well balanced work schedule . I learned alot of good skills that i will carry on for a long time after
Great place.
Sheet Metal Worker (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK30 August 2017
Leaned from many skilled trades workers during my time at B&M. Learned a considerable amount about large scale operations, and logistics pertaining to the skilled trades.
Pros
Great work experience.
Cons
Away from home often.
Typical electrical job
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 August 2017
If you are a union electrician it's that. I didn't work for them long and from what I gathered it wasn't there typical job. It showed as the job was not very well organized from the onset. I don't know what they are like with their normal electrical work.
Fun Working Environment
Project Coordinator/Estimator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 July 2017
fun working environment. Lots to learn. high pressure. High expectation, Long hours, salary does not match with expectations. Good company to learn from
employees are not even a second to money
Construction Manager/General Foreman (Former Employee) –  Masset, BC23 July 2017
work is away from home, while working for B&M my wife had a very bad stroke, I was replaced with in days, never was offered a job with the company again. had to fight to get my expense cheques was ^ months after my last day work to get my last expense cheque.
Fabrication Shop
Sheet Metal Journey Person (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK17 July 2017
Typical day includes completing job orders from off site employees, reviewing job order specifications, fabrication of required pieces, clean up of shop.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
job security
Husky Sunrise, Rigging Foreman
Steamfitter/Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 June 2017
I Was a Rigging Foreman at Husky Sunrise, I supvised 10 Pipe fitters, I like to Rig myself and would never ask a Brother, Pipe fitter, to do a job I wouldn't do. I keep the boys busy, and we got alot of overtime. 12 hour days. I worked there for 8 months, it was a good bib
Pros
Flights to Camp, 12 hour days, overtime
Cons
14 day shift, and when you went to camp, you stayed in camp for 14 days
Only concerned with the bottom line
Estimates & Proposals Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON20 June 2017
Black and McDonald is a horrible place to work; in 2015 they laid off many people in the pickering location without actually finding alternate jobs which were available at other locations. They created the problem with their clients and took it out on employees.
Would never recommend them to anyone to work or to use

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Black & McDonald Limited. Our community is ready to answer.