Black & McDonald Limited Employee Reviews

Busy, Ever-changing workplace.
Stationary Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 February 2019
I worked for B&M in Ottawa, Ontario at various sites as a service technician /stationary engineer for 15yrs. A usual day was out the door at 6 am in the company truck. Start work at 7:30 and home by 4:30-5 pm. As a service tech. /stationary engineer I worked at a different site each day, and rarely at the same site for for more than a week. I enjoyed moving from site to site as it allowed me to learn different buildings and their operating systems.
Pros
Company truck, company gas card, free uniforms and cold weather gear
Cons
A lot of on call time.
great company
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK5 February 2019
Great company and lovely people to work with, a lot of hard work but the journeymen take their time to teach you and show you how to properly do things.
Excellent company to work for
Sr Shift Technician Commissioning (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB22 January 2019
- great group of people to work with
- truly enjoyed my time there
- unfortunately the contract was short lived (less than a year)
- if they offered me the same position today, i'd be there tomorrow
Pros
Very professional
Cons
Job security - short contract
Excellent PM
Construction Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 January 2019
While working for B&M, the PM was excellent. Once the PM sat with me for several days and recognized my abilities, he set goals for me to achieve and let me decide how best to achieve the goal. would/want to return and work for B&M, however they are in the process of winding down the project.
Pros
excellent work environment
Cons
N/a
Work
Service Projects Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB14 January 2019
High pace environment with high demands. Good for those who like to fully dedicate themselves to their job. Top of the line workers, tradesmen, and equipment.
Good company to work for.
Senior Site Safety Lead (Former Employee) –  Greater Napanee, ON9 January 2019
It was a fun fast paced place to work. The manager was a very open available person., There was pure trust with our night shift crew whom all communicated well Since I was from Alberta the 6-1 shift was tough but the job was easy to attend and I learned lots of new electrical procedures.
Pros
No micro management- New enviroment(electrical)
Cons
Away from home
dysfunctional
HVAC (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 January 2019
I worked for Black and Mcdonald for years and the company has steadily gone down hill under the management that they have now. The company has only one purpose and that is to extract as much cash from its clients as possible. The culture is a joke, they preach one thing and practice another. As an employee you are not important to management and they only wish to extract as much out of you for as little as possible, there is little room for advancement and the culture of health and safety is used to offset the responsibility to the subcontractor or the lower level staff. Employees are kept afraid of possible job loss when they speak up about the staff shortages and are expected to maximize profits over the needs of the customers.
At one point I was proud of the work that I did and the staff that the company had, sadly the disconnect between management and employees is toxic and the job has become a poor shadow of what it could be.
Cons
managment
Very good
Labourer/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 December 2018
A nice place to work you see the same people for a couple of days or a couple years most days were a continuation of the day to day stuff haha, very good company
quickly growing trades contractor , generally good people
Project Manager / Site Superintendant (Former Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON , Western Canada18 December 2018
all around good experience , work , learning , people , a bit low on salary scale
because it is construction one must be flexible and prepared for travel and living away assignments
Pros
good people
productive place of work
Sheet Metal Worker (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK7 November 2018
great company, great place to work. easy to work for place is close to home so it is easy to drive in from work. if you live in warman of martensville.
Commisioning
Piping Foreman (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB29 October 2018
the job and company was a pleasure to work for supervision and craft were both on the same page thru the entire project proud to have worked for Black and Mac
B&m
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS22 October 2018
Great place to start career. Great working teams. Strong culture. Management could be further improved through HR training. Highly recommend at least as a starting point.
Great stepping stone
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON12 October 2018
Worked on a contract administrative assistant position. The office is very friendly and welcoming, it was easy to feel relaxed and at home. If you are looking for a job with advancement opportunities this position is not right for it. The office is very spread out with lots of employees that specialize in a certain thing or area, so if you want more work or to move positions those people need to leave or retire first.
Pros
Free lunches, holidays, benefits, understanding management
Professional environmemt
Stationary Engineer/Building Operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 October 2018
Productive ,educational,friendly,task oriented work environment.
must have the ability to work independently and respond to emergencies quickly.
Must interact seamlessly with a wide variety of clients and contractors.
management ,adequate but overwhelmed.
continental shifts are not healthy.(sleep deprived)
always something new to learn and help staff with.(good )
Pros
learning environment
Cons
Long hours.
Excellent place to start and finish your career
Recruitment Manager (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON30 August 2018
Black & McDonald is a fantastic organization with an outstanding corporate culture. Because of the diversity of projects we're part of, and all the support staff required to successfully complete those projects, there are endless opportunities to learn and grow.

Poor communication & leadership
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON27 August 2018
Management rarely communicates with employees, apart from quarterly town-hall meetings.

There is no clear direction provided from upper management, the company lacks the desire to move with the times/make process improvements.
Pros
Work-life balance
Cons
Lack of opportunity for growth
12 September 2018

We are very sorry to hear your experience with Black & McDonald was not a positive one. We consider people our greatest asset and take your feedback very seriously. Thank you for taking the time to post your review and giving us the opportunity to learn and improve.

Great company to work for
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 July 2018
Huge company that treats its employees well. The owner of the company is very involved with what is going on. I was laid off, but I would go back in a second. It provided me with excellent experience and everyone I worked with was awesome.
Pros
great people, good management, awesome experience.
12 September 2018

We greatly appreciate your positive feedback and the time you took to post your review! Thank you for your dedication and work during your time with Black & McDonald and the goodwill you’ve shown us through sharing your experience.

Fair Company
Project (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 June 2018
Well advanced company. has been around for a long while. A family company. need to do a lot to understand the system and culture to be able to work well.
12 September 2018

We greatly appreciate your positive feedback and the time you took to post your review. Thank you for your dedication and work as a member of the Black & McDonald team! Since we’re always looking to learn and improve, we’re also grateful for your thoughtful feedback.

Good people at Black and McDonald to work with
Mechanical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 May 2018
I worked at Black and McDonald for 8 years and was constantly challenged by customers with problems and had fun dealing with problem solving. It was never a challenge to maintain a professional attitude.

Don't Waste your time here
Electrician Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON15 May 2018
never in my life have i ever met such a bunch of ignorant people that have no clue what goes on at there job sites. Preach safety and then do the opposite!
12 September 2018

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Black & McDonald Limited. Our community is ready to answer.