Bissell Centre

Bissell Centre Employee Reviews

Was great to provide care for families who really need it. Wonderful Team Lead supervisor and great co-workers. Very supportive work environment overall. Had 3 mangers while I was there, 2 were great one was not.
Pros
Great co-workers and hours
Cons
Mangers can be hit or miss, pay is low
Bissell has had some great people with amazing skills but due to nepotism and fear based culture the staff turn over is very high. One staff survey relayed very low Employees satisfaction and the CEO actually told staff at a staff meeting that he did not care about staff happiness, not his priority. Staff are just thrown in and expected to learn as you go. It can be a very scary and unsafe environment and has left many people with Ptsd from lack of proper debriefing and supervision. Many former staff had to go on medical leave due to the negative impact on their mental health and well being The pay is low and they do not give raises often and staff are expected to use their own personal funds just to do what is expected with the job; extreme amounts of driving, paying for clients coffees and food and then you have to wait weeks and weeks to get it back.
Pros
Clients and some co workers
Cons
Low pay, very stressful, not trauma informed when its staff
Employees are nice and helpful. I like my team leader. Pay is good and always health benefits are also good. It’s a great place to work. Rotating shifts.
A typical day included dealing with management. It was learned that only managers were allowed to swear at you, call you on the carpet for trumped up reasons, don’t allow you to defend your self and if you try to you are told you are being argumentative in inappropriate terms. The manager over the department was extremely bad with the above mentioned reasons. This manager created a work environment that was extremely stressful due to the gas lighting and manipulations. Upper management did not investigate the allegations so you were on your own. The most enjoyable part of this position was being able to interact with the participants.
The staff is friendly and helpful but they need someone to go search out employers for more employment opportunities. Summertime seems to be the best time to go for work here.
if you can handle being under stress this is the job for you but you do work with clients who can be having a good day or a bad day, this job can lead to other positions within Bissell centre.
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
hours
Unhealthy work environment due to human resource issues. Training is excellent but management is not supportive of frontline staff. Frequent turnover and lack of job security is what makes Bissel a stepping stone to greater employment opportunities with other inner city agencies. Not long term employment.
They are there for the community and the families that use the services. friendly faces and easy commute to work. some really great individuals working there,
Great work/life balance, lots of learning opportunities, good workmates and nice atmosphere. Supportive management and good place to improve on care giving.
Eveyday I learn new things, good place to work with respectful people. Everything organized and everyone works collaboratively and help full each other.
my experience , lots of extra hours,, benefits after 3 months, dental after 6 months. Management is really tough, you need to be on guard, thus making work not fun. Catch you doing wrong environment.
Pros
lot of staff turn over
Cons
poor salary
Job required to work with community members in active addictions,homelessness, concurrent disorders and health concerns.High stress work environment. Although rewarding. Low wages excellent benefits. management very supportive!
Pros
excellent co-staff
Cons
high stress
Typical day to day work will be meeting with clients to assess their housing needs and refer them to all other resources they require, we responded to on call crisis to deviate the work load off emergency first respond teams
Great place to work with a positive and exciting atmosphere. I met so many great individuals in which I had the privilege of working with. Such a rewarding job.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Stressful
It is a very comfortable place, if you are used to that setting. The people were very helpful with any questions or issues that arose. I enjoyed working with street outreach and people less fortunate than I am.
Pros
Gave me the skills I needed to succeed with my future employment adventures.
Cons
There was no real support for personal needs.
Bissell Centre has it's pros and cons as an agency but nothing negative can be said about the clients that access their various programs. Bissell Centre has had some amazing social workers and support workers throughout the years, but as an agency it needs to work on appreciating the good workers it has and reducing employee turnover by making it worthwhile to stick around. Great place to learn about the field.....
Great Team! Awesome PLace to work I highly recommend it to at least start your career. Caring managers and professional attitudes. I thoroughly enjoy my time here. The staff and clients are what make up for the low wage. Welcome to Social Work
Outstanding client care and excellent diversity. I became very knowledgeable on the homelessness of the community and grew a much more respect for others.
I worked for panhandle production summer of 2014 and 2015. It was a challenging job, due to the labour but I very much enjoyed working for them. Its only a summer job, but a great one. As a flagger my team and I would set up rope to measure off the distance for the flags to go in the ground. marking the individual campsites for each trailer.
working here was very fitting for me. employers were very understanding and caring. alot of variety of jobs. staff are very helpful. you bget a luch a bus ticket with a map to getvthere if i neede one. work gloves are provided. and i got paid cash at the end of the assigned job. due to current health restrictions i can no longer do streneous jobs. so this has me limited. but i am looking for a type of employment and still be an asset.
Pros
alot to offer
Cons
none i can think of.
Facilitated Flag Training to 10 students. I will be going back to train another 10 students. The best part was the interaction with the students. This was an open book exam and a couple students mentioned that they did not need to open their book.