Bissell Centre Employee Reviews

Great relation building
Complex Support Worker-24/7 MAP (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 April 2018
Typical day to day work will be meeting with clients to assess their housing needs and refer them to all other resources they require, we responded to on call crisis to deviate the work load off emergency first respond teams
Stressfull but fun.
Essential Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 December 2017
It is a very comfortable place, if you are used to that setting. The people were very helpful with any questions or issues that arose.

I enjoyed working with street outreach and people less fortunate than I am.
Pros
Gave me the skills I needed to succeed with my future employment adventures.
Cons
There was no real support for personal needs.
Non-profit with innovative programs that serves an amazing community
FASD Program (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 November 2017
Bissell Centre has it's pros and cons as an agency but nothing negative can be said about the clients that access their various programs. Bissell Centre has had some amazing social workers and support workers throughout the years, but as an agency it needs to work on appreciating the good workers it has and reducing employee turnover by making it worthwhile to stick around. Great place to learn about the field.....
Awesome
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Hope, BC20 July 2017
Great Team! Awesome PLace to work I highly recommend it to at least start your career. Caring managers and professional attitudes. I thoroughly enjoy my time here. The staff and clients are what make up for the low wage. Welcome to Social Work
knowledgeable
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 March 2017
Outstanding client care and excellent diversity. I became very knowledgeable on the homelessness of the community and grew a much more respect for others.
Flagging
community particaption/ drop in (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 February 2017
I worked for panhandle production summer of 2014 and 2015. It was a challenging job, due to the labour but I very much enjoyed working for them. Its only a summer job, but a great one. As a flagger my team and I would set up rope to measure off the distance for the flags to go in the ground. marking the individual campsites for each trailer.
i enjoyed working here. i liked the various jobs.
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 January 2017
working here was very fitting for me. employers were very understanding and caring. alot of variety of jobs. staff are very helpful. you bget a luch a bus ticket with a map to getvthere if i neede one. work gloves are provided. and i got paid cash at the end of the assigned job. due to current health restrictions i can no longer do streneous jobs. so this has me limited. but i am looking for a type of employment and still be an asset.
Pros
alot to offer
Cons
none i can think of.
Faciliated Training Sessions
Occupation Health and Safety Trainer (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 June 2015
Facilitated Flag Training to 10 students. I will be going back to train another 10 students.

The best part was the interaction with the students. This was an open book exam and a couple students mentioned that they did not need to open their book.
Was a good way to make money at the time
Casual Labourer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 February 2015
I find working for the casual program to be satisfactory. I have benefited from both the work opportunities and the additional supports that are available through the employment staff
Supportive team member, independent, creative thicker, nonjudgmental,
Follow Up Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 January 2015
Self directed Schedule, Many opportunities for learning & advancement, amazing team & management, very rewarding.

Challenges: balance of administrative duties - client support services
compensation
Supportive work culture and Employers
Complex Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 November 2014
Fast-paced, flexible work. Long hours. Very rewarding and fulfilling.
Being able to help people no matter what their situation is.
Resource Worker-Intake Supports (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta17 June 2014
Each day I have the opportunity to help the homeless or low income families with basic needs up to housing.
The hardest part of the job is now trying to help someone who is under the influence and when they do not get exactly what they want some can become violent.
The enjoyable part of the job is when you have helped someone and years later you see them and they are doing fine.
Pros
Helping
Cons
Violence
Gives the opportunity to help people in need
INTAKE WORKER (Current Employee) –  Edmonton15 December 2013
It is a productive and fun place to work. I meet all kinds of people everyday. The work atmosphere is also open communication type of work.