Bison Transport
Information from Bison Transport:

Bison Transport Employee Reviews

Canada132 reviews
Good if you are starting to become a Professional Driver
There selection criteria is very stressful and a success rate of 2% intake.
The Trainers are veteran truck drivers, and provide very confusing instructions for the same process, Ie that is how they would tackle an specific task and if you several trainers with different methods you set up for failure.

In classroom sessions were great, easy to understand, and about 60 Online courses to complete over 3 days.

For the first 2 years on the job, you will not get promoted and have limited routes as Team Driver, then sole.

Good benefits and safety bonus
Not a good company to work for
Kept trying to use you as cheap labour. constantly getting you to do city and regional work for long haul rates. Changing loads at last minute. Constantly deducting waiting time from you
Better off collecting empty cans.
Garbage pay at $0.40/mile, and garbage equipment. Dash lit up like Christmas tree with warning lights, not to mention removing four full bags of garbage from bunk area. A homeless person would be grossed out at the thought of sleeping in that bunk. Honestly, any driver can find better than these clowns.
Pencil pusher heavy
Pencil pusher heavy simply means there are more people making decisions then there needs to be, they are so overstaffed with people looking around to justify why they are even their. Your dispatcher cannot make a decision without talking to his boss. And so it goes.

PROS: Paid every Friday.

Free BBQ's in the summer.

CONS: Free BBQs in the summer only. Unhealthy food.

Slow trucks.

Paid weekly & very weakly.

Computers in the trucks telling the office that your a high-risk driver even though I have 6 years safe driving awards from Bison not to mention other companies I have worked for.

Before you leave on a trip, after your pre-trip you need to reply to no less the 3 to 8 satellite messages. Oh and don't forget if your trailer is equipped with air deflectors on the back, open them up.

If you are in your own assigned unit, don't leave anything of value when you're at home doing your reset, they will use your truck and there are thieves and barn animals that will drive your unit when you are not.

BOTTOM LINE from where I sit, Bison would be a good driving career if they didn't rely so heavily on technology that they think is making them one of the safest fleets on the highway. Ever notice the "YOUR SAFE WITH ME" campaign is long gone, wonder why. 🤔
Low pay
Although they have performance Bonuses, they are just that bonuses. They will take it away if anything happens. And they are paid quarterly,
doesn't really help paying regular bills. That being said after 11 years we've had 2 base rate increases $0.02/mile in 2016 and a $0.01/per mile in 2018. In 11 years that works out to about an 8.1% increase, compared to a cost of living increase of about 17.5% for the same period. They wonder why it's hard to get drivers.
Awful company with no pay
For the amount of work they expect out of you. The pay sure sucks. $32,000/ YEAR. What is that supposed to cover? No benefits, no savings plans ie pension. Nothing. The management is horrible. Constant pressure and micromanaging. I would run from this place. Not worth the street for the peanuts they pay. That's why they hire a bunch of entry level kids.
DĂ©jĂ
A été très bonne compagnie mais ils y a des relâchements
Horrible Company
40 cents per mile to run in Canada
The most underpaid drivers on Hwy 17.

Children planning loads in Mississauga and 6 figure management sharing cookies in the lunch room.
All good
Had a good dispatcher. I wanted lots of USA miles , I got it. He did best he could to give me home time when I asked. The pay at Bison was at or near the top of the long haul industry out of Winnipeg. I now live in Vancouver island and could work for Bison again for the right dispatcher . If he would cater to my needs, I could do the same for him
Depends on the staff
Most of the staff were very friendly but there were the problem ones who didn't care about the drivers. They were always assuming the worse and acting that way towards drivers.
Inexperienced and poor staff
Big wall between office staff and drivers. Office staff don’t even wanna talk to drivers. They think they are different but actually they are loonies because Planners, Managers, dispatchers don’t know the ABC of trucking but they like to command drivers. NO RESPECT AT ALL FOR DRIVERS
Great team enviroment
Difficult industry. Takes an experienced team of professionals to navigate the ebs and flows of daily business. Communication and problem solving key to success.
No work life balance
They expect you to work at insane hours of the day. Starting at 1-3am to be ontime for the switch got to be a little much. They had really bad trailers lots of them with cracked frames and constant light problems.
20 March 2020
Hi there, thanks for taking some time to leave your feedback. We definitely take pride in our equipment, so it is unfortunate that you had this experience. We'd be happy to further discuss any concerns that you had. Give us a call 1-800-462-4766
I can honestly and openly say management gave me a warm welcome and respect as a mechanic at bison ..Hats off to bissmis management .t
I've been employed here since Jan 2020..So far everyone that I worked is in a positive mode with exception of one two. HR is a real deal, Looked after my issue right away .. Shop management very profesional in handling my issues and fellow mechanics. I can't thank them enough in making my transition to my new home ...pleasant and fun..Thank you again and again !!!!!
20 March 2020
Thanks for your feedback! We appreciate you taking the time to leave us your comments.
Was an ok Company to work for.
Long days or 12 hour shifts, 4 on 4 off. Co workers were all nice, friendly and professional. Wage was poor for the amount of hours worked and how much work you had to do. Never once received a raise or had a review which played a massive role in why I left working at Bison and moved on to another trucking company. Was a good move.
20 March 2020
We are a 24/7 business and so we appreciate the modified shifts that people work to ensure freight keeps moving. We will definitely share your comments about wage with the appropriate departments. Thanks for your feedback!
Great Company, Exceptional Culture
Fast-paced environment - very team-oriented. Bison has a workplace culture as very few companies have. Very friendly staff, management, and team are always willing to mentor and help you when needed. The workload can be heavy at times like everywhere else but very rewarding once the job is done. Highly recommend
18 February 2020
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We definitely expect a lot out of people for the workload but that is balanced with a great culture that supports collaboration!
My time at Bison I was able to advance my career. Lots of in house courses and support. Management team in each department is varied from very senior to less senior. Each day has it's own challenges to overcome which is the exciting part. That motivation was enjoyable. The culture is good as team work team is stressed and learning encouraged and promoted.
10 February 2020
We have a great team of people that support our goals and glad you felt that way while working for us! Our internal learning programs are constantly evolving and promote growth and advancement opportunities for our team. Best of luck in your next role!
Great company if you're looking for a career in driving
Great people
Very flexible schedules

Many options to choose from

Excellent equipment

On-site maintenance shop

Standard pay rates with many opportunities for extras
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
10 February 2020
Thanks so much for your feedback. We hope you have continued success in your career!
Don`t waste your time if they where good place to work nobody will quit
Very nice presentation big words you think that`s it you will retire form Bison that`s only in the beginning they hire on peak season they will make more money than they will invest on you to hire you , low pay they won`t pay your extra work and delays and hook and drops they just forget. Pay for the effort you punting in is not worth it. When they are busy will force dispatch you even they see you don`t have the hours and when are slow will keep promising you loads and keep you on call. Tide dispatch poor planing and the company trucks are speed limited at 100 KM/H very dangerous if you need to pass and the passing lane finish .
I can`t understand how they can buy and keep parked the equipment (New trucks) They think that will reduce accidents but every month you see on the herd new accidents. Accident will be prevented hiring and paying DRIVERS not "steering holders" and "throttle pushers" as they have only automatics
Pros
none as you can pay the bills with words and promises
Cons
everything else
17 January 2020
Hi there. Thanks for taking some time to leave your feedback. Our team would be happy to discuss some of your concerns further, if you are able to speak with your Fleet Manager or other Leader in the business. Alternatively, you can give us a call 1-800-462-4766.
Good company
I work for them in nightshift, good equipment, clean truck with road assistance. Friendly dispatcher team. Not dispatcher forced. In time paycheck, without errors.
Overall a nice experience, but for me was difficult to continue on night shift.
17 January 2020
We appreciate you taking some time to leave us your comments and experience. Unfortunate that the shift didn't work out for you. Good luck in your next position!
Productive and fast pace
Overall working at Bison Transport teaches you how to manage your time, also how to multitask between email phone calls walk-in clients and manage shop work schedule.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bison Transport. Our community is ready to answer.