Bison Transport Employee Reviews

Hard work not lots of pay
Office (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 January 2019
The work it’s self is a lot, very high demand and pressure and not enough pay. Lots of micromanaging which makes it hard to do your work in an effective way.
During reviews any decent pay raise is hard to come by unless you have a manager that is willing to vouch for you, otherwise your lucky if you get something that isn’t a slap in the face.
Some managers there should not have that position as they are not good with working with other people, very rude and condescending. Lots of negative talk that goes around and no appreciation.
Good stepping stone place for office work but to create a career out of it you won’t make it far.
Pros
BBQs in the summer, very cultural
Cons
Not enough pay and not good choices for management
28 January 2019

Thanks for your review and feedback. We appreciate all comments, both positive and constructive. We will be sharing your comments with our team to ensure we are considering all opportunities to improve. Best of luck in your new role!

Strong company
Office (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 November 2018
Bison is a good company to work at in general. They have open door policy so drivers and office personnel can talk to anyone in the office, starting with driver services and ending with Vice President of Operations. Leadership team will always welcome you in their office to talk about any issues, concerns or answer any questions. Bison is very focused on keeping their employees happy and are willing to work with you if you raise any concerns. They offer career opportunities as a lot of people leave Bison and positions become available. They say you must be able to work under pressure to succeed there, but most of work load is very reasonable. You will always feel appreciated for the work you do and hear "thank you" from co-workers and leadership.
Pros
Free BBQ; new equipment; friendly environment; clean office
Cons
Unclear expectations; new policies; office retention: unexperienced new stuff
Good Job, Bad Pay
Safety and Compliance Representative (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 October 2018
I really enjoy working at Bison Transportation, however, the salary is fairly low, with not much room for advancement. I would recommend this job to someone who has just gotten out of school.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Bad compensation
A Great Place to Work
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 November 2018
Making the choice to start at a new company can be difficult. But if that company is Bison Transport, I would recommend you to say yes! Over the years, they have focused on Company Culture and having a positive environment. From free BBQs in the summer, to company baseball teams, to Pictionary Challenges. Day to day, it is a fast paced environment, but then you can quickly see rewards for your efforts. Focus has been put on training, so you don't need transportation experience. Management is continuously looking for ways to implement efficiencies and new technology, as well as ways to coach people for advancement. Over the years, I have been given several different opportunities to continue to grow myself and my career. Each day holds a new challenge, which makes it exciting each and every day!
Many opportunities to learn and advance
Logistics (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 September 2018
Clean and modern workplace and facility. Great air conditioning in the summer. A number of coworker events that are fun to take part in. The turnover is typical within the transportation industry. Seeing a general turnover every couple years in some departments, and quicker in others. There is quite a bit of growth in some departments as well. This creates a lot of opportunity to improve your career and skillsets. One thing that I noticed is that management is very encouraging of trying to keep good people within the business. If you're not happy with the current role, they will actively assist you in finding something that fits. Creates a great scenario of learning new skills and upward mobility. I've always been treated fairly, and look forward to continue to develop my career at Bison.
Pros
BBQ lunches, onsite gym, free coffee
Cons
Can be long hours when things go wrong
Well managed transportation company
Long Combination Vehicle Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 August 2018
Well managed company. Good culture that emphasizes safety. Fast paced workplace. Limited opportunities for advancement. Decent pay and benefits for employees..
Pros
Well managed.
Cons
Limited opportunities for advancement.
Life Changing Career
Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 February 2019
I started at Bison as a Driver but unfortunately was injured on the job. After some negotiations in determining what my restrictions would be, Bison helped me secure a position in the office in the Logistics Department. This injury drastically affected my lifestyle and had the potential to end my career in the transportation industry. They were able to arrange for accommodations to my work station, providing me with a standing desk, and after starting in the office and demonstrating what I knew, I was given a promotion within 4 months. Bison really recognizes your work and you are rewarded appropriately. The work environment is very good, everyone is so friendly and supportive of each other, and management actually appreciates your wo
Worst company
Long Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 November 2018
Worst company. Very low salary for more work. They say in orientation that we care about drivers but truth is that they just care about loads. Just think twice before join
Mixed opinion
Student (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 August 2018
Work culture is fine overall with free lunch on wednesday in the summer. Don't know about benefits since summer students don't get them. Pay was very low and from what I hear from others it is low for regular employees too. Culture is not a good excuse to pay low.
Pros
Free lunch once a week, nice people to work with
Cons
9 hour days, bad pay
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 October 2018
The company prides itself on innovation and continuous improvement. This translates to new opportunities to learn and advance in your career. Environment can be busy and chaotic but they balance that with fun activities during lunch, onsite fitness facilities and lots of free lunches! Would recommend Bison to anyone that is looking for diverse work with opportunities to expand your learning.
Pros
Free lunches, onsite gym, investment in education
Great Diverse Culture
In Cab Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 February 2019
I'm on my 20th year with Bison now.
I have learned lots and advanced my career during this time.
The workplace has a great diverse culture and is a friendly place to work.

The hardest part of the job is weather related, the colder, the tougher it is to do the job.

The best part of the job is the people who work here. You find the odd person a stick in the mud, but the majority of the personal are eager to help and good to work with.
Pros
People I work with
Cons
Cold Weather
Best Company Culture and Work Lift Balance
City Ops (Current Employee) –  Langley17 January 2019
Since joining Bison my stress level has decreased dramatically. It is refreshing to work for a company that cares about it's employees and wants to build them up to be successful. Everyone builds each other up. The level of camaraderie within Bison is out of this world. All the staff are welcoming and friendly. There never is a moment when someone isn't trying to work together to get through daily tasks. Working for a lot of smaller companies for many years fighting my way to learn and make something of myself and always ended up working harder for much less satisfaction and more stress. At the end of the day I can go home and be with my family not worrying about 'what's happening at work' while knowing that today was a good day or a tough day and together we got through it. That's the way it should be with any employer.
28 January 2019

Hi there, thanks for your feedback! We are all in this together and you need the best team to back you! Great to hear that you are feeling supported, challenged and have less stress. 1Bison!

Great Place to work
Administration (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg18 September 2018
Walking into Bison you will always see two things. People hard at work and smiling faces. The days aren't always easy but the teamwork and culture in the building is amazing. Management is there to help grow their employees and truly do want to see them succeed! Bison likes to celebrate it's people no matter how big or small the accomplishment. Drivers, techs, office staff are all equally valued employees which is very refreshing to see.
Pros
Culture, free lunches, on site fitness facility
Culture, Fun and Respectful
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Alberta15 January 2019
I have worked at Bison for 5 years and they truly deliver on what they promote. A diverse, fun and respectful workplace is what you can expect with this company. They understand the value of people and are always working to enhance and maintain our positive culture regardless of what city, department or profession you represent at Bison. If you are thinking of joining our team, I encourage you to take the chance. You will not regret it. You will be surrounded by like minded high performers that work for each other.
28 January 2019

Hi there. Thanks for your comments! It's great to see what a positive experience you have had at Bison. I agree that people are at the forefront of our business and are what makes us so great!

Life changing career
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 November 2018
I’m a company driver at Bison been at the company for over 5 years. I feel fortunate to work for a company that has made it easy for me to experience life on the road. No matter what job you do there will always be ups and downs. Bison has up to date equipment and makes sure their drivers are comfortable , with having trucks equipped with apu’s, inverters, fridges. I feel honoured to had been given a new truck to use to make my living. All I have to do is drive. I have worked for other companies and since I came to Bison my life has not been the same. Every driver has the right to decide when their out there on the road,but when your company stands behind your decision fully speak volumes to me. There is no need to worry there are no repercussions with your decision.
Pros
Right to decide
Company culture is amazing
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 September 2018
Working at Bison has been a rewarding experience. I have been given opportunities to grow and advance in my career. The people that work there are like family and the support employees give each other makes me want to go to work every day. Transportation is a fast paced and sometimes stressful environment, but Bison puts on fun events like a truck pull, office BINGO games and popsicle days in the summer to reward staff for their hard work. I would recommend a career at Bison!
Pros
Collaborative environment, friendly staff
Cons
No public transit
fun environment at times, long hours
LOGISTICS COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 March 2018
enjoy the culture
expected long hours with little in return to feel appreciated
free lunches
gym on site
lack of advancement or training to advance
low salary and minimal salary increases
Worst ever.
Truck Driver - Class 1 (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 December 2017
39cent/mile the benefits you pay for it aprox 75$/week.you are just a number nobody cares off your problem.worst dispatch I ever worked.700-800$ a week.they advertise the schedule runs,but dont even dream about it...Turne over rate probably one of the highest in the industry.just ín Winnipeg terminal every week 8-10 new drivers get training.good company if you like to be on the road 8-10 days and get paid 700-800$.Ohhh..and they will never ever pay waiting Time,even if you wait 24h ín the border becouse they sent you paperwork for wrong broker.and the reset pay is 50$ before tax.horrible....I could continue for days and days.If somebody thinks im an upset former driver,.. I'm not,this is all true...
Pros
Good equipment.
Great company culture!
Office Staff (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 November 2018
Great place to work! Free parking, BBQ's every Wednesday in the summer and a variety of benefit packages available to employees. It's clear that morale is important to them.

Management has a great open door policy and is always very receptive when approached.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
Heavy workloads
fun and respectful place to work
Long Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC21 December 2018
great place to work. Wouldn't of left, had to leave due to personal family reasons. But great safety and management team. Backs their drivers 100% and lots of work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bison Transport. Our community is ready to answer.