Bison Transport Employee Reviews

A Great Place to Work
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 November 2018
Making the choice to start at a new company can be difficult. But if that company is Bison Transport, I would recommend you to say yes! Over the years, they have focused on Company Culture and having a positive environment. From free BBQs in the summer, to company baseball teams, to Pictionary Challenges. Day to day, it is a fast paced environment, but then you can quickly see rewards for your efforts. Focus has been put on training, so you don't need transportation experience. Management is continuously looking for ways to implement efficiencies and new technology, as well as ways to coach people for advancement. Over the years, I have been given several different opportunities to continue to grow myself and my career. Each day holds a new challenge, which makes it exciting each and every day!
Worst company
Long Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 November 2018
Worst company. Very low salary for more work. They say in orientation that we care about drivers but truth is that they just care about loads. Just think twice before join
Great company culture!
Office Staff (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 November 2018
Great place to work! Free parking, BBQ's every Wednesday in the summer and a variety of benefit packages available to employees. It's clear that morale is important to them.

Management has a great open door policy and is always very receptive when approached.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
Heavy workloads
flexible
Maintenance Coordinator and Parts Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 November 2018
there are modified shifts and regular hours as well so very accommodating for everyone. If a shift doesnt fit your life style the will work with you to make sure it works in most cases
Love it!
Compant driver. ICi (Current Employee) –  Based in Kelowna BC2 November 2018
They care about safety. Given some input and was given the opportunity to advance. Now an ICI. Easy communication. Not treated like a number. Home every week.
Pros
Safety. Open door policy to talk to managment.
Cons
Down time pay capped at 6 hours. Base rate low.
Life changing career
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 November 2018
I’m a company driver at Bison been at the company for over 5 years. I feel fortunate to work for a company that has made it easy for me to experience life on the road. No matter what job you do there will always be ups and downs. Bison has up to date equipment and makes sure their drivers are comfortable , with having trucks equipped with apu’s, inverters, fridges. I feel honoured to had been given a new truck to use to make my living. All I have to do is drive. I have worked for other companies and since I came to Bison my life has not been the same. Every driver has the right to decide when their out there on the road,but when your company stands behind your decision fully speak volumes to me. There is no need to worry there are no repercussions with your decision.
Pros
Right to decide
I am an owner operator
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 November 2018
This company is just amazing honestly they have a lovely system setup to provide many dedicated runs and they do anything possible to bring you back home on promised days, pta/eta is just a wonderful system so when you leave for an destination you enter estimated time of arrival (ETA) & PTA is for when is the possible time of availability which means you will have a load assigned hours ahead before your ready to begin your trip, and a great thing about that it's all available online on your phone app you can see where your picking up from and where you are delivering to for some advanced homework & preparing , along with many other options to browse for such as pay rate, more job opportunities, your performance, pre plans, book time off, etc-etc , this company is dedicated to provide consistent miles and for those whom are company drivers they offer phenomenal units equipped with parksmart system which will keep you warm in winter and cool in hot temperatures, I have worked for several false promising companies in the past but here in bison its all worth it .another very hellful program they offer, is called ( RIGHT TO DECIDE) for instance ; if you are not feeling safe to drive wether you are fatigued , sick or feel unsafe to continue due to harsh weather conditions they want you to just pull over to an safe spot and inform dispatch that you are using right to decide and only continue when safe to do so , NOBODY will push you to drive it's your call ,you feel supported instead of being enforced , it also pays well to deliver at customers and to pickup from customers aswell  more... , bc/ab night driving premium , they earn you a dollar a mile or more if your an owner opp and if company driver on average drivers are earning 55 to 60 cents a miles but it can only happen if you choose to come on board and give bison a chance " I just love it here " they treat there drivers with tremendous amount of respect and care , I hope to never leave this company. GILM05

PROS:
""Pay earnings , work environment, up to date fleet with amazing maintenance program , less downtime, consistent miles, variety of runs options to choose from , they care , right to decide program & awesome showers, work out gym in most terminals, $20 a truck wash and many repair parts discounts , schedule work with regular days off , proper body rest no pushing or rushing"
Pros
Amazing work place
Cons
Strict safety regulations
Dynamic work that is very rewarding
Ops (Current Employee) –  Canada16 October 2018
I love coming to work each day and participating with multiple teams to solve complex problems, in real time. There are not many work environment's out there that match what it takes to move goods. Transportation is fast paced and requires an energy to match, Bison does a great job hiring those that thrive in solving problems and supporting team members.
Pros
Impactful work, see results immediatley
Cons
May be a con to others, pace of work and transactions is high.
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 October 2018
The company prides itself on innovation and continuous improvement. This translates to new opportunities to learn and advance in your career. Environment can be busy and chaotic but they balance that with fun activities during lunch, onsite fitness facilities and lots of free lunches! Would recommend Bison to anyone that is looking for diverse work with opportunities to expand your learning.
Pros
Free lunches, onsite gym, investment in education
Good Job, Bad Pay
Safety and Compliance Representative (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 October 2018
I really enjoy working at Bison Transportation, however, the salary is fairly low, with not much room for advancement. I would recommend this job to someone who has just gotten out of school.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Bad compensation
Many opportunities to learn and advance
Logistics (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 September 2018
Clean and modern workplace and facility. Great air conditioning in the summer. A number of coworker events that are fun to take part in. The turnover is typical within the transportation industry. Seeing a general turnover every couple years in some departments, and quicker in others. There is quite a bit of growth in some departments as well. This creates a lot of opportunity to improve your career and skillsets. One thing that I noticed is that management is very encouraging of trying to keep good people within the business. If you're not happy with the current role, they will actively assist you in finding something that fits. Creates a great scenario of learning new skills and upward mobility. I've always been treated fairly, and look forward to continue to develop my career at Bison.
Pros
BBQ lunches, onsite gym, free coffee
Cons
Can be long hours when things go wrong
Company culture is amazing
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 September 2018
Working at Bison has been a rewarding experience. I have been given opportunities to grow and advance in my career. The people that work there are like family and the support employees give each other makes me want to go to work every day. Transportation is a fast paced and sometimes stressful environment, but Bison puts on fun events like a truck pull, office BINGO games and popsicle days in the summer to reward staff for their hard work. I would recommend a career at Bison!
Pros
Collaborative environment, friendly staff
Cons
No public transit
Great Place to work
Administration (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg18 September 2018
Walking into Bison you will always see two things. People hard at work and smiling faces. The days aren't always easy but the teamwork and culture in the building is amazing. Management is there to help grow their employees and truly do want to see them succeed! Bison likes to celebrate it's people no matter how big or small the accomplishment. Drivers, techs, office staff are all equally valued employees which is very refreshing to see.
Pros
Culture, free lunches, on site fitness facility
Well managed transportation company
Long Combination Vehicle Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 August 2018
Well managed company. Good culture that emphasizes safety. Fast paced workplace. Limited opportunities for advancement. Decent pay and benefits for employees..
Pros
Well managed.
Cons
Limited opportunities for advancement.
Mixed opinion
Student (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 August 2018
Work culture is fine overall with free lunch on wednesday in the summer. Don't know about benefits since summer students don't get them. Pay was very low and from what I hear from others it is low for regular employees too. Culture is not a good excuse to pay low.
Pros
Free lunch once a week, nice people to work with
Cons
9 hour days, bad pay
Great place to work!
Operations (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, Manitoba17 July 2018
Bison offers many opportunities to challenge yourself, grow as an individual and make a valued contribution to a progressive company.

If you're looking for a company that invests in career development and cares about their people, this is it!
Pros
Free lunches, wellness focused, advancement opportunities, good shifts
Nice Place to work
Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 July 2018
Good cultural workplace to work with nice management.
5days/10hrs shift with 3 days off. Friendly environment with awesome service manager and staff. Like the experience there!
Pros
Friendly work environment
Cons
long shift hour
No life work balance
Long Haul Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 May 2018
You basically make minimum wage. During winter time there are days you will make less than 10$ an hour. Home time - forget about it. Nobody cares that you have planned something or have appointment. Waste of time.
Pros
Free coffee at terminals
Cons
No life
fun environment at times, long hours
LOGISTICS COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 March 2018
enjoy the culture
expected long hours with little in return to feel appreciated
free lunches
gym on site
lack of advancement or training to advance
low salary and minimal salary increases
Good Company
Planner/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 February 2018
I liked working at this company most of people i worked with
were knowledgeable and and we made a great team. Found the hours of work were long due to my day starting early and having to wait for other people who started later to complete their work so i could complete mine
Pros
Good co workers
Cons
long days and some weekend work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bison Transport. Our community is ready to answer.