BIS Training Solutions Employee Reviews

Fast paced culture with success as a key driver
Business Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB22 April 2019
BIS is a place where the leadership fosters an environment of success. The team is loaded with vibrant people who excel at what they do and aren't afraid to have fun doing it.
Pros
Professional and fast paced, oppertunity to interact with business of all types, Leadership gives the freedom and flexibility to get the job done in the best way possible.
An amazing place to work, learn and grow!
Client Development (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB20 April 2019
Since I started with BIS Training, I was welcomed with open arms not only by Management but by everyone in the company. The Management group not only cares about your work, but you as an individual. They encourage career growth and offer you the opportunity to take training that will better yourself as an individual and your role within the company. They brought in an external consultant for a personal growth seminar to work with the entire team. The company does little things like have a monthly lunch brought into the office to celebrate birthdays and company anniversaries, I have never in my 20 year career experienced that. I also realized that the average person has been their 5+ years which blew me away as that is unheard of in today’s corporate culture. Great place to work and more importantly great people!
Pros
Great Management, Monthly work celebrations, on going Training both internal and external
Cons
No cons
One of the best places to work
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB20 April 2019
I have been working with the BIS team for a number of years and the growth of the company is exceptional. Many of the existing customers are recommending BIS to other companies based on our software and our service being exceptional.

It's incredible to see the change that has happened in the recent years.

The overall team is exceptional. Each year we seem to be adding on many many new team members and they are all amazing people and they are great to work with. Each of the BIS team members seems to be extremely smart, talented and very humble. Everyone there is willing to jump in an help anyone else out when they need help. We recently launched a new eCommerce store interface and it seemed liked everyone jumped into help. Then we launched a new accounting software and team members from customer experience started working in the accounting area to help. It's a very collaborative environment.

BIS is still a small company but it's growing at an exceptional rate, even though they have no marketing and very little advertising. It's a very exciting place to work and it will be amazing to see where it goes in the next 5 years.
Pros
collaborative, family atmosphere, great people to work with and a very exciting future
Cons
No advertising or marketing
A fun atmosphere focused on customer service
Business Development (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 December 2018
Great company! A great work environment.

They had realistic expectations. I worked with a great team. They truly believe in having their employees succeed and provide additional training if needed.They understood work-life balance and allowed sufficient time to complete projects.

They work hard but also know how to have fun. Most everyone is pretty helpful in helping you when you have questions. It's a great place to work!

Management is good about leaving people alone and letting them do their jobs without micromanagement. However, if you have questions that need answered the response time is very quick. Monday morning team meetings ensure proper communication across the company. It's a fast paced environment so you need to listen and learn constantly to keep up with the positive changes being made.

Benefits are good. Management also did an excellent job providing clear instructions and on boarding to new employees.

They treat you always with dignity and respect and I got out of the job what I put into it.

If you are looking for a challenging and rewarded business development role, I recommend BIS.
Pros
Team Events
Cons
Need to be able to multi task
21 January 2019

Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your time at BIS. We strive to encourage a positive work life balance, constructive team support, and worker autonomy.

Puts its people, not its bottom line, first
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB20 November 2018
Pros
- Amazing culture and an amazing network of people willing to help and teach you
- Insightful and helpful peers or associates makes your time at the company more interesting and progressive
- Relaxed and productive atmosphere
- The owners in the organization care about the employees
- Flexible work structure (start/end time, work on weekends)
- Pay is pretty decent for an entry-level position
- Small company, has more of a family feel to it
- Weekly meetings with other employees since communication is always something that is trying to be improved on
- Always made to feel that you are a part of the structure and have the immediate support of your peers and management
- Exciting to be a part of something that could disrupt an industry, and working to make something grow to new heights is empowering
- Positive reinforcement is being provided to employees more
- Fun aspects incorporated into the office, things like birthday celebrations, anniversary lunches, and fun team outings
- Employees keep things in perspective, have fun, and laugh
- Employees are not afraid to suggest ideas to improve the work processes, thus benefiting everyone in the organization in return
Cons
- There is a lot of information but it still needs to be organized in a way that is easy to find and access
- In a state on constant change. The desire to be innovative can be too disruptive and moves to fast
- The owners don’t have a clear vision of where the company needs to go to continue being successful
- The company needs to ensure that they have
  more... the right leader within the organization who knows how to lead and inspire, not just the owner taking on all management
- Lots of turnover with employees which sometimes leave a large workload on long-term staff

Advice to Management
- Take care of your employees and the employees will take care of your business!
- Improve internal communication so everyone can be carried along on the happenings within the company.
21 January 2019

Thank you for your considerate and detailed review. At BIS we continually strive to create a fun, challenging, inclusive and open work environment. We are committed to addressing situations and issues that may arise within a fast growing company and we appreciate your input and overall recommendations.

Fast-paced, growth-oriented company; a great team to work and grow with!
Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 November 2018
Hands down, BIS is the best company I have ever worked for. I joined the team as employee number 3 in a sales support position when the company had a handful of clients and was still trying to find its niche. Since then, the team has grown to 15 hard-working employees providing industry-leading health and safety technology solutions to thousands of companies around the world.

A typical work day at BIS is fast-paced, collaborative, and exciting. Although the company is almost 13 years old, it has the atmosphere of a start-up. There is an almost palpable air of excitement and anticipation as momentum builds between every milestone and achievement. This makes BIS an ideal place to work for someone who wants to get in at the ground-floor and make a lasting mark.

The management style at BIS is performance & feedback driven, growth-oriented, and flexible. Time and time again, they have demonstrated a willingness to invest in staff, providing the support and resources necessary to ensure team members occupy the position best suited for their strengths, interests and career goals.

BIS is a great place to work for solutions-oriented self-starters that excel in fast-paced environments, and possess a willingness to meet challenges by working collaboratively with a tight knit team. If this sounds like you, you too might find employment at BIS to be challenging, rewarding, and full of opportunity for personal and professional growth.
Pros
Great Team, Excellent Management, Great Compensation, Fun place to work, great team building events and outings
Cons
Challenging work, Very little corporate structure/hierarchy
19 November 2018

Thank you for your positive feedback. We pride ourselves on our great team, great culture and innovative solutions and we are excited about our continued growth and company development.

Don't waste your time
sales (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB9 November 2018
It's all about "the fit" here.

But eventually, either you'll get disgusted at the overbearing, over-controlling management and run screaming for the exit or they'll find a trumped up reason to get rid of you.

Think I'm joking? Over half the company has left and replacements hired within a year. And there are only around 15 people there to begin with. You literally hear the Darth Vader theme begin playing in the background when the owner arrives every day.

It's sad that such a great product is owned by such a mis-managed company.
19 November 2018

We are very sorry to hear you feel this way. We genuinely care about our team, and have taken steps to encourage employee autonomy and promote long-term retention.

Job With Constant Opportunity for Growth
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB7 November 2018
The staff has a younger demographic which is great as the company is based around a rapid development schedule, and keeping up is key to the business. It's a fast paced, all out type of environment that keeps you on your toes.

As the company is growing quickly, you will be pushed outside your comfort zone but with fantastic team members in place you can ask questions and bounce ideas off of everyone for support. This really pushes growth on an individual level when you are open to learn.

There is definitely a need for flexibility and personal time management/prioritization as tasks come through at a high rate and you are expected to make individualized decisions about your workflow, but the time flies by and you definitely feel accomplished at the end of the day.

The workplace culture is great, we have fun and work hard and there are many team building activities to join in on. Staff are friendly, helpful, and friendships often extend out of work hours.

The management are open to feedback and I have personally voiced many issues/concerns with them in the past and had them addressed in a timely and appropriate fashion. Feedback is a two way street in the office and they ask for honesty and clarity just as they give it to staff. I feel no hesitation giving feedback and do so without fear of negative consequences. The business works best when we all critically think about decisions and work to find the best overall solution, and it's a principle we have built on. In the past they may have not seemed as open to this feedback but present-day criticisms of management
  more... are openly discussed in meetings with all staff instead of on a one-on-one basis which I greatly appreciate.

The hardest part of the job for me is organizational skill - keeping up with the different tasks and timelines can be a challenge but it's one that is supported via software implementation and suggested time management methods.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the diversity of tasks, doing the same thing every day is boring and I'm constantly challenged and pushed to get better and learn. The environment is geared towards learning and development and I feel like I'm constantly able to improve and diversify my skill-set. The product is great, very diverse and solves many large scale problems for huge organizations cheaply and quickly and it's exciting to present it to people and implement for them.

Overall it's a great place to work, I have no fear over job security and I love coming to work every day - something I can't say about previous jobs I've had. I never watch the clock tick down, I'm usually racing to beat it by the end of the day and the people here truly make the team great.
Pros
Great Co-workers, Great Culture, Learning Environment, Collaborative
Cons
Must receive critical feedback well, Must be able to multi-task
19 November 2018

Thank your for your thoughtful review. We appreciate the consideration given in your feedback regarding our culture and work environment as well as your suggestions for potential improvements.

So much potential...
Sales/Marketing (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB10 October 2018
It honestly pains me to write this review as this company has the ability to be one of the best places to work I have ever seen, but the shortfalls make if one of the worst.

BIS has a built a great product and it was easily marketable. There are many great opportunities to grow the business and the clients loved the services we delivered. I had the pleasure of working with some of the best coworkers I have ever had. Unfortunately these are brilliant minds with skills that are wasted here.

All the culture falls apart at the ownership level. This is a very small 'mom and pop' business. The owners are at a point in their growth where they need to start utilizing the skills of the team they have in place, delegating more control of the day-to-day activities, and using the experience of the team in place to grow upon their ideas. They preach culture, and a flat organizational hierarchy with no job titles to try to bring everyone together collaboratively with models influenced by other organizations in the tech industry.

In practice they treat their team like assistants, with little to no autonomy, or opportunity to bring feedback to the table. Positive or negative. If your skills, attitude, personality, feedback, or suggestions do not match the owners vision perfectly you will be seen as negative and terminated without cause in short order. In less than a year I witnessed the company turn over 10 employees. There was only 12 full time employees at most. The attitude of the owners is to 'roll the dice' and 'see where they land' with minimal onboarding and delegation. This
  more... is a recipe for failure. They are hyper sensitive to type A personalities and constructive criticism. This is opposite to the culture they preach. Combine this with marketing initiatives, web design, and PR that is straight out of the mid-2000s, and they have a serious ceiling to break through before seeing real growth.

The end result is a culture where everyone is scared to be themselves or say anything that could be construed as negative for fear of being terminated. The atmosphere resembles Darth Vader walking around and everyone is too scared to say or do anything. Unfortunately the only thing getting choked at this company is the employee retention and growth potential.
Pros
Amazing team of coworkers. Flexible schedule. Team building events.
Cons
Brutal micromanagement. Zero job security.
15 November 2018

Thank you for the feedback and kind words regarding our product and its marketability, the level of client satisfaction achieved via the service we deliver, the company’s many growth opportunities, and last, but in no way least, our incredible team members.

We are very sorry to learn how you felt during your time with us. We have made and continue to make improvements to develop our management strategy through a variety of means including encouraging open communication and constructive feedback from our team. As a company, we are discussing and addressing concerns in an open and collaborative environment and are implementing measures to ensure employee autonomy, creativity, job security, openness and feedback.

Felt like my abilities were used to their advantage
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB26 April 2014
I was hired as a project manager, given all these promises of being a good job. Helped them with a major project that they had a deadline for and when it was over, they let me go. They made up excuses for why they had to let me know. The company wants to grow bigger but the management is not ready for that. They are so used to being a small business, they are not letting anyone help us help.
I would not recommend this company to anyone looking for a stable, reliable job.
Pros
Decent salary and hours
Cons
Control freak management
19 November 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We take your concerns very seriously, and we appreciate your comments as they help us in our continual effort to grow and improve our organization.
We apologize for your negative experience during your time with the company. We have made and are continuing to make advancements to develop our management strategy and team to ensure our employees feel secure and well supported in their job tasks.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BIS Training Solutions. Our community is ready to answer.

BIS Training Solutions Reviews by Location