Birks

Birks Employee Reviews

Canada27 reviews
working at Birks was fun at times because I was able to interact with my coworkers and create great memories with them. But Birks is a very old company and if you do not go out of your way to find yourself customers it will be a very hard time to make your sales goal. The pay isn’t that great. The commission isn’t either unless you’re selling their items. Other than that my day consisted of 10 hours of sitting around waiting around for people to come in. Most of the time the people that came in were customers of other employees that I’ve been there for over 30 years. in order to succeed you really have to go out of your way to find yourself clientele, make big sales, and be very business forward.
Pros
One hour breaks
Cons
long shifts, only full time, very slow days
Good place work as the management doesn't follow you around. However, they are not fair sometimes. They support you and provide you with a kitchen full of food.
This company has no structure. No one has any guidelines as to what is needed or being looked at and no guidance is given by upper management. Most teams in the head office are over worked and the sales professionals struggle on a daily to maintain brand image. We have no consistency and this is confusing to all employees.

The only good point is the people are very nice and will help out as much as they can.
Pros
People are nice
Cons
Terrible management
I have been treated unfairly by the Store Director who hid behind the computer screen. She was not professional and did not handle confrontation. Store Director was in a relationship with one of the employees, and this was reported via work anonymous hotline. I don’t care who you’re in a relationship with but you are definitely not leadership material, there was too much favoritisms going on. Regional director was involved and somehow the Store Director found out who was involved, that’s a privacy breach and should have not been tolerated
very handwork and stressful environment.
long hours and letting go a lot of employees that have been working there for a long long time. Trying to adapt.
The company needs to match the up to date practices. the very old system that make the sales process very ineffective and loosing a lot business to competitors.
The company does not care about their employees. That was how I felt. The pay was too low compared to the work load. Impressive poor management at the head office.
Pros
Small discount on the jewerly pieces
Cons
overall poor management
i really enjoyed working at Birks. There are stressful days but the everyone there provides support. You are never left alone to do an impossible task.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Stressful days
Birks was a very good place to work. I had an amazing manager and pretty good colleagues. The company had very good benefits and was constantly updating the employees skills
Was a great place to work to learn and to develop your sales skills. Management at the time was very difficult to work with. Micromanaging to a new level and bad habits to purposely embarrass fellow coworkers.
I have worked at a few other jewelry stores and of all the companies I have worked for I have enjoyed working at Birks the most. The people are friendly and there is room to advance if you want to do so.
Regular sales regular team regular management like everywhere else nothing existing happens unless you sell 50000 ring that same day, like any other retail store
Pros
Benifits
Cons
No team work
I liked working there made nice pay due great commission, Unfortunately I did not had good communication with managment I got kidney stones and was not alowed to use washroom because it was a busy day , had to quit so I could have some sick time at home still ended up spending New Year eve in ER.
Pros
If you try you can make good money
Cons
Unreasonble demands ( like dont use washroom for 8 hours)
The credibility for the store in Chinook location was questionable. Upper management's way of running the place was skeptic, and most of all lacked attentiveness on a daily basis. Some employees were a dear to work with, and were very supportive. However, the hardest part of the job was the management's unrealistic expectations for everybody's role. I enjoyed working for this company only because of the hands on experience with luxury goods, and services. There was opportunity to grow in the company, but because of how management was, I was reluctant on being committed to it.
lovely place to work, management takes care of its staff, historical Canadian company who puts its employees first. great employee perks and goal oriented
Pros
working in high end luxury goods
Cons
very traditional
working environment is nice, some nice jewelries, interesting customers to chat with, salaries are too low for sales person to keep them in long-run
Not your typical retail job. Lots of training provided through out the year. Management will be different from store to store although most Store Directors and Managers are great. Hardest part of the job are the hours and days you will have to work which is a part of retail and selling in general.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Scheduling
Salaire trop bas et chiffre daffaire pour employer pour la vente trop haut si fait pas les chifrre attention... Et pousse pour faire des vente.
Pros
rien
Cons
tous
Great People, proactive and nice to work with. The company has a great corporate strategy and a lot of ambition. Wishing them the best of success.
Management and Corporate office undermines your success. Work environment lacks energy and is terribly negative. No reward for a job well done!!!
Pros
Cons
When you have found another job!!!!
My overall review with the company was good in when I first started with them. When company re-structure that's when a lot change like our benefits and bonuses.
Pros
Advancement with the company
Cons
no bonuses