Birkdale Place Retirement Community

Birkdale Place Retirement Community Employee Reviews

This is one of the best jobs I ever had. Workplace environment is very friendly, all of the residents are lovely individuals, and everyone is very upbeat. Working in the kitchen is pretty fast paced and in order for things to run smoothly you have to be a team player and help out your coworkers if you see them struggling, but everyone is very understanding and does their best to help. Dining staff are very supportive of the cooks and management insures that the work place is friendly, safe, and supportive. This job is perfect for anyone who is willing to be a team player and be part of a community. Management and residents welcome everyone with open arms, and coworkers always have your back when it comes to making sure everything gets done.
Was lied to directly by some associates, as well as management. Not a very trusting environment, poor communication, some associates too insecure and utilitize union for protection. High expectations for team work and commutation, yet rarely reciprocated. Poor coaching from Management, if you brought concerns to Management they were shrugged off, yet as soon as other associates complained they were taken into account. complain
Staff and management is helpful and hard working. Residents are so sweet and friendly. I love working at Birkdale, the environment is amazing!! We do big events almost every 2 weeks which allows for everyone to join in and have fun, giving the residents an amazing experience.
Pros
Free meals, amazing residents
I am a PSW here and I have been working here for over 5 months. The workload expected of me is more than reasonable and I don’t often feel overwhelmed. The residents are very friendly and caring, even the ones I don’t provide direct care for. The work culture is fantastic. When I was first hired, and still to this day, staff have been so kind to me and have made sure that I am comfortable and successful in all that I do. Everyone is so nice. The way that the management team carry themselves makes me proud to work here. They don’t hide behind their desks, rather they are very involved in resident life. They take the time to get to know each resident and treat them so kindly. They also make sure that the residents are having positive experiences and make sure that the residents feel at home here. The managers are also very supportive of staff. They are very approachable and always have your back. They also make the effort to celebrate your hard work and make you feel needed and valued. They have provided me with many opportunities to grow both personally and professionally. I am very happy here and I will always be grateful for my experiences here!
Pros
Friendly residents, positive work environment, excellent managers, staff appreciation, good training
Working here as a server was terrible. Serving the residents was fine, quite fast-paced but you get used to it. It was easy to get to know the residents and bond with them. My role was a server, not kitchen staff. After dinner, I was expected to, with the help of one other staff member, wash all dishes from over 120 residents and then put away, clean all of the dining room tables, set all of the tables for breakfast the next morning, sweep and mop the kitchen, set the kitchen up for breakfast. By the time the servers had cleared the tables and this whole process could begin you only had about an hour or an hour and a half to complete everything stated above. I should also add that the setting up of the dining room could not be started until the dishes had been completed. Majority of the time we never finished on time and would stay 30mins-45mins overtime just for these tasks to be completed, which we were never paid for. Even when the lack of pay was brought up, I was ignored. You're given no breaks and expected to do a ton of physical labour that is NOT worth $14/hour. Also, when hired, I mentioned I would be on vacation from x to x and was told that was fine. When it came closer to the date, I was told I had to get these shifts covered. Which was nearly impossible considering there was only about 6 servers working there. Overall, I would not recommend working here as a server/ "hostess", they need more staffing for the amount of tasks that need to be completed to close the kitchen.
Pros
Friendly Residents
Cons
Pay, No breaks, Overtime
This was the most unorganized place i’ve ever worked. Was a Server in the dinning room, management never had a finish schedule and night staff are hard to work with
Preferential treatment to some staff, was never given full time hours, no benefits, no work life balance, always enjoyed the patients, spending time with each one.
Very fun place to get high school volunteer hours! Worked every saturday for the whole summer with a max of 3 hours each day. Everyone is super nice and friendly.
Pros
Easy hours
Cons
No lunch break