Birkdale Place Retirement Community Employee Reviews

2.3Job Security & Advancement
Would not recommend.
Server (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON14 April 2019
Working here as a server was terrible. Serving the residents was fine, quite fast-paced but you get used to it. It was easy to get to know the residents and bond with them. My role was a server, not kitchen staff. After dinner, I was expected to, with the help of one other staff member, wash all dishes from over 120 residents and then put away, clean all of the dining room tables, set all of the tables for breakfast the next morning, sweep and mop the kitchen, set the kitchen up for breakfast. By the time the servers had cleared the tables and this whole process could begin you only had about an hour or an hour and a half to complete everything stated above. I should also add that the setting up of the dining room could not be started until the dishes had been completed. Majority of the time we never finished on time and would stay 30mins-45mins overtime just for these tasks to be completed, which we were never paid for. Even when the lack of pay was brought up, I was ignored. You're given no breaks and expected to do a ton of physical labour that is NOT worth $14/hour. Also, when hired, I mentioned I would be on vacation from x to x and was told that was fine. When it came closer to the date, I was told I had to get these shifts covered. Which was nearly impossible considering there was only about 6 servers working there. Overall, I would not recommend working here as a server/ "hostess", they need more staffing for the amount of tasks that need to be completed to close the kitchen.
Pros
Friendly Residents
Cons
Pay, No breaks, Overtime
Poor Work Enviornment
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON19 July 2018
Preferential treatment to some staff, was never given full time hours, no benefits, no work life balance, always enjoyed the patients, spending time with each one.
Volunteer
Discussion Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON27 March 2017
Very fun place to get high school volunteer hours! Worked every saturday for the whole summer with a max of 3 hours each day. Everyone is super nice and friendly.
Pros
Easy hours
Cons
No lunch break