Bird Construction

Bird Construction Employee Reviews

Canada97 reviews
great place to work
lots of work
great crew to work with very easy going

good paying company

very well organized and great managment team

quality employees that are very willing to teach
Good company some supervisor issues
Enjoyed working for Bird. Made quite a few friends that I still keep in touch with. Worked with some great supervisors as well as couple of not so good but then that's my personal opinion.
Great teamwork
Great company to work for, they really make you feel like a part of the family. Great team to help you in any direction from Safety Officers, to Site Coordinators. This company really sets you up for success.
Good First Job
I worked as a project coordinator at Bird for the Ontario Industrial Division. Lots of work, long hours and remote locations but a good experience to have. Learned a lot and if you're willing to work hard you will succeed. Found some great mentors there but some other coworkers are focused on politics. Management could be better in order to retain talent. Sometimes what one manager might tell you would be different from another. Overall though it's a good place to earn your stripes.
Great People, Good Culture, not so great when looking for projects
In my 9 years with Bird, I was treated with respect. I did find that they did care about their employees to an extent. The job work/ life balance was not at it's best. The benefits were standard, there was room for advancement when the times were good. Safety was not at its premium but they were working on it. Bird was finally taking the "thinking out of the box" approach when it comes to different styles of construction. I do hope the best for them in these trying times.
Pros
Room for advancement
Cons
work/ life balance was a awful thing if you were a carpenter, they tend to cater more to the office personal than to the field worker.
Was a great environment to work in and the employees were also great people to be working side buy side
Working with power tools and using your hand tools flowing through with all the safty cods that you have to ensure to get the job done safe and efficient. Whims and core safty requirements are also required beforehand and mad shure thay are being flowed by the job I being cared on through the day and if anything changes you must have it rotten down as the taskes are evloving with the development in the taskes at hand
I enjoyed my time at Bird Construction and was given yearly raises based on my performance. They were pretty flexible with work/life balance and most of the managers were personable and wanted to help you succeed.
Bird Construction is excellent
Bird construction was good company. All personnel are in good behaviour and they follow all safety rules and regulations. I recommend Bird Construction a good company.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Bird Construction?
Bunch of old women spreading rumors
At first everything was great, no problems, people were cooperative and friendly. Then one of the foreman heard a rumor from PCL that i was a homosexual. This was false and should've of mattered anyway. After the rumor spread throughout the job i was cast out and banished to work alone. Workers would shun me and talk down to me in a condescending manor. I quit, and found a great company to work for. I would not recommend anyone work with this lousy bunch of racist, homophobic people. Stay away at all cost.
Did not support material management
They were a good company with great people. Pay was not good. And material management was not a high priority for them. Without proper front end loading of your materials department you will make it harder to operate.
productive and fast paced.
good atmospheer , good safety meetings. overall top rate to work for. no problems with daily and weekly reports and very co-operative sub trades and followed all directions to complete the job.
Good job to work when there is work! The crew I was working with were good guys very helpful and willing to teach you new skills! Downfall is they look to save money and lay off employees as soon as they can
This company is not to be trusted. Go with your gut when taking a job offer.
I would only recommend this company to work as a CSO if you want to be treated as a laborer and not get utilized for your safety knowledge and or skills.
Good place to work.
Good place to work. It is a good team. Even if it is a national company, you can feel it has strong local ties. They are reasonable. I would recommend this company.
High Safety Culture
Worked at 2 different job sites, well respected at the first, not so much at the second, different management styles.

Had a great site super at 2nd job site, always had my back and received a $5/hr raise.

Not every site has the same mentality, or code.
Very exceptable working conditions and lodging camps were great.
Completely looked after all my needs, have no complaints. I worked on the Suncor project in Fort Hills. Did my work and what I was asked to do, volunteered my time over Christmas so others could go home to families. Stressful at times but where isn’t. Relaxed and got the work done. Totally enjoyed my experience with Bird. Any issues were third party related. Would really enjoy another opportunity to work with Bird!heavy equipment operator. We were looked after and placed in good camps
Good people to work with, management is inexperienced
Field staff were great to work with, but the management is inexperienced with dealing with larger projects. Out of touch with innovation or forward-thinking methods
Away from home for long periods
They are a time and material contractor only on their industrial division
Lots of nepotism in their management ranks

Bid a lot of their work on assumed specifications, not actual and or historical data

Bird has a good safety program, depending on which supervisor you work for.
Pros
Cons
long hours, away from home for long periods of time
Good management, nice working condition.
Work at B.C Fernie, work with productive people and the management give importance to your well being as a worker.
They value workmanship,support and enhance your

skills and safety is one of the top priority.
Pros
living of allowance
Cons
10 hrs a day
I work there for many years
I work at bird construction for many years all the supervision were good they treat people fair there always room for advancement money was good work was hard but rewarding work started slowing down so I went to Keeyask
Pros
Always called back
Cons
Long time away from home
Good staff, difficult/too much management
I had negative experiences with my department being poorly organized and over-or-sporadically managed during the 7 months I worked there.

I was yelled at and sworn at by a manager there over hearsay and quit.
Pros
Good wages, decent team, lots of perks
Cons
Difficult management situations
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bird Construction. Our community is ready to answer.