Big Freight Systems

Big Freight Systems Employee Reviews

Canada38 reviews
good place to work
enjoyed working for this company but choose to work in a northern location for better money and experience in the mining field.Hard to make a living on lower wage as prices go up but wages don't very often
Pros
nice people to work for
Cons
wage
Very good
I really enjoyed my time with bfs there was plenty of work, always were able to accommodate me to get home when needed , very friendly staff very good equipment, well maintained many opportunities to make a good living, if not for personal issues I would still be there? Thanks bfs
If your semi retired
If your semi retired and want to get paid a little to travel. Then this is for you. Or if your a new driver and need experience and have no Bill's, live at home. Perfect.
Not a good place to work
The Company went from two brothers owning it to one shortly after I started. The brother that took over as CEO/President turned out to be a micro manager who was always standing over your shoulder and raising the commission numbers so he paid less commission. The worst work experience I have ever had.
Excellent company for OTR drivers
Big Freight was a great place to work. I was given a dedicated Dispatcher that always worked with me to keep my wheels turning and to get me where I needed to be when I needed to be there.

Lots of miles. Mostly flatbed, but they offer other divisions like specialized van loads and glass hauling trailers.

I enjoyed my time working at Big Freight
Bon
Tres bonne compagnie pour travailler pour. il vont faire leur possible pour vous ramener chez vous a temps et pour le temps off il le respect.
Great place to work.
Like mostly every trucking company there are a couple of dispatchers that actually believe that you and the truck are their personal property. Other that that it's a great place to work. Management is great. Equipment is new. Pay is great. Home time is great. I'd go back, if they would take me back, if I was to ever go back to highway driving.
Pros
Equipment, pay, home time
Cons
A couple of arrogant dispatchers.
Terrible company, just terrible
20 years of trucking and this was by far the worst I've ever driven for. I was offered a scheduled run from Alberta to Tacoma WA Monday to Friday. Well that never happened the first week they had me running flatbeds around Alberta then tried to make me run a load to Oregon on a Friday knowing they could not get me a reload till the following Monday. Needless to say that was enough for me to see what they were like!. Bunch of no good liars.
Pros
Not a ONE!
Cons
Low pay, trucks are governed below safe highway speeds, shop staff are just ignorant, trainer was a lazy useless piece of work, recutier was a liar, hotel you stay in is in the middle of nowhere, they expect you to not run your truck at night in the middle of winter at -40, still way too much to list
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Big Freight Systems?
Got to drive new side by sides every day ,
I found office staff excellent to work with. Aa a driver the my fleet manager was always available when needed. I wish the pay was better would still be working there if it was
Overall well rounded company
I have been working for Big Freight Systems for 1.5 years. I feel that I have a lot of guidance and support when I need it, but am also trusted to work independently.

There are a lot of good bonuses and incentives to work here, barbecues, lunches, golf tournaments, nice Christmas parties etc. The staff is friendly and the communication is good as long as employees do not have too much work-load on their plates.

The staff within the office is always actively meeting and making initiatives to make this a better employer for both the professional drivers as well as the team within the office. It is always a work in progress, but I do feel that as a whole, if there are any issues, they are worked to be resolved with proper communication. They also do a good job to promote from within, and are flexible with life changes that drivers face and try to accommodate as best as they can.

I recommend the company, as I do not see many downfalls to working here.
Pros
Nice people, great support, lunches/BBQ, in house Gym
Cons
The typical stresses and pressure of the Transport Industry
Hard work
Unsafe climbing on top of cages to roll out tarps to cover product. They make u tarp in orientation. Not very well planned or organized with trips. 2 trucks showed up at 1 location for same load in Illinois. Shop not friendly at all.shop foreman is not driver friendly at all. I dont recommend this company unless your a new driver. Promised lease program and that never happened.
Pros
Bbq.newfoundland trips
Cons
Have to work extremely hard for your money
good people
was a great place to work till the son took over,good equipment ,good shop,canadian people people are great,loved canada,wasnt really paid the best but the people were great
Stay away
Do not work for this company planning dept sucks watch your back pay is low for what your doing pay roll is always shorting hrs no 24 hr dispatch lots of BROWN NOSEING cameras in cab watching drivers
operations rotten to the core
The turnover in the office and on the fleet in the last 2 years has to be unmatched in the industry. Not something to be proud of. I have worked twice for BFS, the first time was bad but I had heard they really turned around the company after entire new leadership was brought in a few years ago. All those people are gone within a couple years. I fleet managed and there was a lot of favoritism to drivers who brought "goodies" for the planner and it was well known. It didn't change when I came back and the shop and ops leader were already gone. I lasted under a year this time
Pros
Reno's done to office and was nicer my 2nd time in office
Cons
no overtime but expected to work extra and bad management
Not a great work experience
Yard workers don't get an increase after 3 mths. Management is horrible communicating expectations. Yard staff treated as unimportant. Unmaintained equipment.
Pros
Non
Cons
Always a struggle
High turnover
When i worked them, it was a revolving door, unsafer and poor safety culture, telling you to tarp when there wasnt a need. No training on harnesses and the dangers of if you fell. Realy low pay, and they think its the best thing since apple pie. Complain at you if you use any other fuel stations then flying j's

promise you bonuses but the fuel and all that go out the window, which is bs
Pros
get you own truck
Cons
never replace the beds after the previous driver was in there which is nasty
Transporation warehouse
Computer work and customer service.

Data entry, label making, phone interaction with companies

Time management skills and communication.

Very enjoyable to work
Easy going, low pay
An easy going company to work for, with some very nice ( if you like automatic ) trucks & getting some even better trucks in the near future, but hard to make a living.

Paid on a millage basis with a $20 flat rate fee for drops may work O.K. in the wide open prairies, but is no good on the west coast with two border crossings a day factored in. When calculated I averaged less than $15 an hour based on mileage pay running the busy I-5 to Tacoma.

I would suggest that all work west of Chilliwack, B.C.anything on Vancouver Island & anything down I-5 as far as Portland, Oregon needs to paid on an hourly basis, as it is heavy traffic all the way. Most companies than run these areas do pay hourly. As I said the millage rate works in the prairies, but not on the west coast.

Also the flat rate of $20 per drop makes no sense, as I would get $20 to unload one Polaris ATV which takes about half an hour & still only get the same $20 flat rate to unload six or seven ATV's which can take about two hours.
Pros
Nice trucks & easy going to work for.
Cons
Low pay when you figure all the hours
Interesting destinations, steady work with well maintained equipment. Well planned runs with good home time. Family style work place with showers and Driver’s lounge at main terminal
Great Experience
I worked at BFS for 4 years and enjoyed my time driving for them. I was given the ability to haul both flat-bed and dry-van trailers and switch between Regional and OTR lanes as I requested.
Big Freight has lots of miles to offer and runs new and well maintained equipment.
Worst Company
The company has good equipment but the staff are terrible,especially some few dispatch managers,too ignorant and very selfish,liars and non sympathetic,especially when you are injured at your work place.And working with this company you should agree to be mistreated like those foreigners who were brought from Eastern Asia, paid very poorly and mistreated by those Morons at Big Frieght.
Pros
Non