Bier Markt Employee Reviews

Upmarket brasserie with 150+ brands of beer, plus dancing & a Belgian menu of seasonal fare.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 August 2019
Responsibilities included the usual seating of guests, controlling the flow of the restaurant and organizing the flow of server sections. I would also assist managers in creating floor plans for the evenings ahead, and planning/organizing larger parties (400+ people)
Avoid like the plague.
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Montreal5 August 2019
Awful un-ventilated prep area, line without fully functioning hood system, distant chef team, far too much prep for a shoe string staff of two prep cooks, maybe. Unrealistic expectations for not enough money not to mention the garbage you're expected to make without time for love or nuance. If you want to REALLY cook ACTUAL food, avoid these corporate dumpsters and find a REAL restaurant.
Incompetent Management, Health Issues
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 July 2019
No chance of pay increases. Flagrant health and safety violations. Management out of touch and promote their friends. Horrible communication between managers and staff.
Great Place
Operating Partner (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON19 June 2019
Spent a lifetime here.Live to work culture was one star, but perks and wage were competitive. Really honed my skills in the trade here. GM's held to a high standard.
Pros
comp.
Cons
culture
Great company weird location
Cocktail Waitress (Current Employee) –  Don Mills, ON18 June 2019
This specific location falls short of the others, the general ambiance isn't the same and staff that are hired aren't particularily compatible with one another.

Bierk Markt has an extensive training which is awesome! we learn so much and really have the opportunity to sell something we have all fallen in love with.I've always appreciated that about this company.

I would say Cliqueyness is a big deal.. but I dont even think the people inside the cliques really like each other all that much either.

Management is extremely passive aggressive and not very conversational.
very fun
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 June 2019
its my first time i work and learn a lot about my self. long hours that didn't feel like i'm working always helps me. i will never forget my time with them.
Fun Job
Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 May 2019
Very easy going place with friendly staff. Loved the atmosphere. Did not have a lot of responsibility as the place was very laid back. Kind management.
Pros
Good Hours
Coworker Relations
Dishwasher and Food Preparation (Former Employee) –  Don Mills, ON23 February 2019
My coworkers were good people, however, they constantly performed below what I believe to be an ethical work standard, and took many shortcuts which led to poor overall performance.
Pros
Free lunches from the cooks
Cons
Long hours, which once ran up to 13 hours straight.
Prime, before acquisition and consolidation into Cara was a wonderful and progressive employer.
Operator (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON29 December 2018
Prime was a fantastic company with a heart and concern for its employees, right from the owners/partners down.
Once assimilated into Cara(now Recipe), that small company care and concern for individuals was pushed aside in the name of profitability.
Cara's Sr Leadership are prolific profiteers and provide a fast paced, progressive and business forward environment for hard workers(think 70+ hour work weeks) to learn and thrive.
Only the sharpest, hardest working and thick skinned applicants should apply at Cara/Recipe.
Luck!
Pros
Fast paced, progressive, great learning environment, CEO/CFO are brilliant
Cons
Sweat shop, unforgiving environment, not a true Hospitality Company, not Guest focused. All about making a profit at all cost...mostly on the backs of employees
Amazing Learning Culture
Bartender/Server, Manager (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL18 December 2018
Bier Markt and their corporate team are amazing and going above and beyond to provide learning opportunities in all stages of career development!

From front of house, back of house and management they remember every name, and are always willing to answer questions.

An amazing culture in every way! I would highly recommend joining the team!
Pros
Team building, Mentorship, Free Webinars, Free Prud H'omme, Great Benefits
Great Team
Waitress/Server (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 October 2018
Amazing manager who took a genuine interest in helping you succeed in all goals. whether to advance the company, or as a person. Friendly team, great atmosphere always busy
Pros
Always busy / great money
Cons
tourist driven
So much fun and a great place to really learn how to become a successful server
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 September 2018
They offered many courses on beers and wine.
My position as a hostess was the first time I had to learn how to set the place up, where to put parties and how to staff them,
Love it!
Server (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 August 2018
Such a great place to work. Love the people I work with, including the managers who are all super cool, supportive and want to see you do well and make money.
Bier Markt
Fryer Cook (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 August 2018
Its a scratch restaurant in a high volume fast service. Everyday we had team meetings before and after each shifts. We worked in a very corporate policy on culinary.
Pros
Amazing pay and benifits
Cons
Long hours do to under staff.
friendly and helpful environment
Line Cook and Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 August 2018
I never faced any difficulty working at bier markt because everyone is nice and helping , they helped me whenever i need them at my station . This is my best workplace ever.
Corporate Kitchen
Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 July 2018
Poor management, left alone with no supervision from chefs forcing you to fend for yourself. Learned a lot by cooking alone. Casual fine dining menu with large dining room and patio.
Pros
free meals
Cons
long hours with no back-up
Hard Work Pays Off, If You Know The Right People
Manager (Current Employee) –  Ontario28 June 2018
Consistently changing priorities adapting to a varying degree of workforce and clientele needs.
Strengthened labour management and improved profitability through service standards and staffing control.
Management team is extremely hands-on and supportive.
Workplace environment is high stress and it's difficult to keep up.
Most difficult part is priority management - everything is number one priority; multiple things on the go simultaneously.
Most enjoyable - team members breaking performance barriers providing an above and beyond experience for customer base.
Pros
Free meals, ability to maximize job tasks in limited amount of time
Cons
Unusual, long hours. Lower than average support from home office.
stressful
Dish Washer/ Food Prepper May (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 April 2018
This job required man things to do at once, was not at one place at one time. Had to move around alot and work alot of hours even if it was not on my schedule
Pros
- Free beer and Food
Cons
- Limited lunch breaks or none
Tyrannical sous chef
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 April 2018
While I'm sure this has changed by now, the sous chef at the time was a petty tyrant with a real mean streak that upper management quietly tolerated. rest of the staff was a good group, but being tied to corporate culture made for a stale environment.
Okay place to work, but not permanently.
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL6 February 2018
A typical dish washing day is as basic as it sounds; clean dishes/cutlery, keep the dish pit clean. It was not a hard job, but the promise of advancement early in my hiring, did not come through. I also felt belittled for my job title as "dishwasher", people seemed to think less of me at times. One manager in particular seemed to hold a grudge against me, also further reducing my hopes for advancement, but besides that manager, everyone else is fantastic to work under.
Pros
Not a difficult job
Cons
Felt belittled by job/no advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bier Markt. Our community is ready to answer.