Bienenstock Natural Playgrounds Employee Reviews

A fun team
Junior Craftsperson (Current Employee) –  Flamborough, ON4 May 2019
I have found the overall culture to be quite good here. The people are great and look out for each other's safety (within the production crew anyway). People will give each other snacks if they forget food for the day. Things are not always perfectly clean - bathrooms and lunchroom are quite dirty. Organization could be better - sometimes things get left out in the rain or your work needs to be redone. This is frustrating, but I feel the overall work environment makes up for it. I do feel cared for and supported as an employee, and they are always working to improve safety.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
A bit disorganized, cold work conditions in winter
Unprofessional
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Dundas, ON29 March 2019
Extremely unprofessional behavior and attitudes across management. As with any small company, you have to deal with quirky personalities, but some of the attitudes and behaviors here are completely unacceptable. Adequate HR practices need to be implemented before someone gets slapped with a workplace harassment lawsuit.

There were also serious discrepancies in my contract. A lot of shady behavior and false promises, but what else is to be expected with a backyard start up?
Pros
Laid back workplace
Cons
Unprofessional, zero structure, poor environment and attitudes
Good starting pay rate but lots of false bome
Junior craftsman (Former Employee) –  Dundas, ON6 January 2019
When starting this job I was told that they were very busy and there would be lots of work. I was told the hours might go down in the winter come the new year but only down to 35 hours the least. After reading reviews on here I questioned getting laid off and weekend work as I had a newborn on the way. They ensured me that this would not happen and weekends were optional. The weekend part was true and it wasnt mandatory. Most of the workers were very friendly but there were some things that were unorganized. Coming from a woodworking background I was able to do a lot of things without needing to ask for clarification or to be shown more than once how to do things as some was new for me. There were a lot of staff there that didnt have near the experience as me but had been there for a while. Just after christmas I was told that hours would be going down like I was told come the beginning of January because of less work. Come Friday of the first week of January I was told that I was being let go(just before my 3 month probation) because of lack of work. This is what I had questioned in the beginning and was told it wouldn't happen. I was lied to by this company and this shouldn't have happened. I feel like I was just hired on to help get through their busy season and they knew from the start they were letting me go before the 3 months. I feel like they could care less about their employees and what they are doing. They shouldn't do this to anyone let alone knowing I had a newborn coming and had other job opportunities. I gave them a chance and took their word for it and it backfired.  more... Worst of all the boss couldnt even tell me himself I was being let go he made someone else do it!  less
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Working outside, being laid off before the 3 month probation, dirty lunchroom dirty washrooms, unorganized
Manager (Current Employee) –  Dundas, ON7 August 2018
Bienestock Natural playgrounds has given myself a my family a lot, as family run company, the ownership group gives every employee an equal opportunity for professional and personal growth.

You very much in charge for your own destiny, and is great to hire within. Your direct Manager don't see you being ambition as threat more away to support the company.

Pros;
Great culture
Great colleagues
Great benefits
Great way to get paid to see and work all over Canada
Great place to be creative

Cons;
The Canadian weather, you work in the elements
Pros
Great culture Great colleagues Great benefits Great way to get paid to see and work all over Canada
Cons
The Canadian weather, you work in the elements
Don't waste your time!
Road Crew (Former Employee) –  All Over Ontario25 September 2017
Believe this review or take it as a sour ex-employee venting... I could care less. But if you do read this , this is what you can expect working here.

Cons:
12 Hour days with *no overtime* pay,
Disorganized/Untrained Management,
Potential for *mandatory* weekends after a 60 hour week
Lacks direction and organization from leaders
Zero Job security .. leaves you stressed and on edge
High school drama
High turn over, so nobody is experienced and trained
Lies, Lies, Lies
Zero notice to pack up and leave province for a month to work... say no and well.. bye bye job!
Don't talk/joke/vent to other employees, most people are shady snakes and just run to management and tell (True Story)

Pros:
Decent pay
Benefits available
Lots of Hours in Summer
Pretty cool work when things are organized
You feel good about the work you do, as you build cool playgrounds for kids

Honestly, this place has potential, when I started I loved it. People were cool, the work was fun. But after the season got busy, management fell apart, foremans fell apart, people started getting blamed for managements disorganization. More people quit/ got fired than you would even believe if I wrote it down.

Look, if you want a job for the summer that pays well, and you couldn't care less about personal time, drama, shady people or job security... try this place out. I am honestly mad at the disrespect they show their employees and venting here. But everything I said is true, so believe me or don't and apply. Im sure things will get better there.. Lol
Pros
Good Hours and Starting Pay
Cons
Untrained Management, Zero Job Security, Work/Life Balance, Drama/Shady People

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bienenstock Natural Playgrounds. Our community is ready to answer.

2.3