BGI Retail Inc.

BGI Retail Inc. Employee Reviews

There was a lot of work with their primary client while I was there, that unfortunately dried up because of COVID. The work was relatively easy, but some of the instructions could get muddled by differing opinions on how it should be done. Everyone was encouraged to help and answer questions for less experienced team members.
Pros
Work place events, easy work
Cons
Poor communication
Everyone works well together to execute project deadlines and overall quality. Management does not micromanage and is supportive of each individual to ensure they succeed.
13 April 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback!
The company is organized but the salary is a not competitive to industry standards. I was offered a raise and then the offer was taken away a week later. I would recommend that people with experience in this industry do not bother applying for a job at this company.
Pros
Cons
Low salary
It seemed like a good place to work at first, but as time went on it was clear that the company itself was plagued by issues with bloated, ineffectual upper management. There were managers for managers for managers, all wanting something different and going behind the backs of others managers to get things done. Communication was a joke and my main concern was looking out for myself, because at the end of the day everyone was looking to point the finger when things inevitably went wrong. The issue of management is ingrained into the company itself because it starts from the very top. An email that was accidently sent to the whole company spoke of "cutting out all the dead wood" just before Christmas, spoke to the disregard and ultimate lack of humanity shown for BGI's employees. The close people I worked with were all great, helpful and friendly, but with the management issues, a clear divide was made in an "us vs them" dichotomy. Also, raises are non existent company wide.
Pros
Occasional free lunch, RRSP matching
Cons
Bad management, no raises, expectation of overtime, revolving door, etc
All the big jobs are gone. Just small one off job not steady work. They let to many people go and are hurt. The next sign they are going to make is for themselves and it will say closed.
Pros
Cons
No work. Low pay.
I worked for BGI for nearly 3 years. I lost my job due to Covid and the apparent cancellation of the project we worked on. Reality was they found an opportunity to clean house and they took it. The place is okay if you can keep your business to yourself. Upper management and senior staff have very free tongues when it comes to passing around confidential information for gossip. Thoroughly disappointed with my experience.
13 April 2021
We are sorry that was your experience. Covid affected a lot of employers in that they had to make some difficult business decisions. We (the People Team) would have appreciated the opportunity to address your specific concerns while you were still an employee.
Interviewed for a job, placed me in a completely different department. Upper management regularly sticks their nose into things when they have zero clue. The drafters don't understand what they are designing so drawing errors are very common. There is a toxic work environment and many of the people are quite hostile to each other. Lot's of overtime though
Pros
Free pizza days
Cons
Long hours, poor management
They keep hiring and then firing people all the time....dont they realize people have families and responsibilities? Very busy, fast paced place to work. Extremely disorganized so we all end up fighting each other for stuff to complete our work Management doesn’t admit when they are wrong, always a blame game at this place. Cover your butt skills are very valuable.
A very promising company with tons of opportunity for business growth. Working on a culture change and hopefully that will come about and senior management will realize that employees make the company and value them.
13 April 2021
Thank you making time to submit a review from the time you were with BGI Retail Inc. The company has grown significantly and continues to do so. We are excited about the future and the strides we are making. Our company does value its employees and looks to hire from within and provide internal growth opportunities.
It would be a good place to work if they had less office personal. The only reason I say this is because with all office staff no wonder the actual worker gets paid nothing.
You’re either in or your out. There is no in between. No job security. They get temps in the office and don’t train them at all expect them to “figure it out”. Main client is Home Depot, without them BGi wouldn’t exist. That client leaves and everyone is out of a job.
Terribly organized and management doesn't seem to know what they're doing. No room to grow and they hardly ever do reviews and give raises out so you are stuck making terrible wages. Management doesn't care about its employees either
You'll be working quietly and independently on the most basic tasks of placing icons on building plans. Also, expect to be spending a lot of time using Microsoft Excel. Talking and asking for help is looked down upon. Management is the poorest factor. Hardest part of the job is sitting for 8 hours nonstop doing repetitive work. Hard on your back and your mental health. There is nothing enjoyable about working here. Pay is a couple dollars more then minimum wage. Employment is short lived. People get let go constantly and you will know as an email is sent to everyone to let you know was recently fired. BGI has 3 indeed accounts and does this to hide the bad reviews. BGI Retail Inc., BGI Graphics Inc. and BGI Retail.
Wish my contract didnt end. Worked in the SRW!! Highly recommended establishment to begin your career!! Fast Paced Job but thoroughly explained. Wish I could name names because this individual who runs the SRW Department was the reason I loved my job (placement) so much.
Very welcoming place. Had a great manager. Most People were very friendly and helpful. Training could be better. Was a safe environment. I enjoyed working there.
Pros
Early Friday's
Cons
Poor training
The pay and benefits were good but it was frustrating to work there because of the inefficient work flow. I had to redo a lot of my work because of incomplete or wrong information that was given to me. They have some new management now so hopefully things will improve.
Very large building to work in. Each day was jammed full with all the work needing to get completed. Each person would fight for their own items to get completed ASAP. Very unlikely to get any raise worth the time they would ask you to work.
Pros
Occational free lunch
Cons
Very long hours
Upper management does not give out raises.. period! Culture is trying to improve to a family feel but will always have that blame someone else mentality often found in big companies.
Pros
Good benefits, good tools and decent workers
Cons
Salary/ Hourly Rate, always promising never delivering
Cons: 1) One main customer (American), if they go away the company will be devastated 2) No HR, back to the 70's/80's management style. One day the person beside you is there, the next they are gone 3) No raises, low pay. No fun ! 4) No trust in the senior management, they tell you what you want to hear, always a double standard 5) CYA, CYA 6) President is a little tyrant Pros: Some company events (very poorly ran) New buildings and equipment
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Job security, don't feel valued
I enjoy working at BGI because of the uniqueness of the work we do and the people I work with. Leadership is very flexible and understanding of personal issues. I enjoy seeing our work in Retailers across North America.
Pros
Fast paced, growing, interesting, flexible leadership
Cons
Sometimes pace can be intimidating
Direct manager is easy to work with and very understanding about personal matters. Working a straight day shift with half hour lunch and my own bench to work at.
  1. Employee reviews