BGC Partners Employee Reviews

Working at brookshires store 10/super1
Brookshires/super1 (Former Employee) –  Marshall, TX11 August 2018
Loved my job it is a wonderful place to work if you are a college student. I wish they moved people up in the company more often i ask two times for a hirer position
Cons
Very short breaks, not very many raises
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Havelock Road5 August 2018
Offical Secret Act

Working alone and reporting only to the assistant director of the department.
Book appointment to interview clients, most conference calls liaising with International Corporations usually Head of Department Senior Management, my role after the interview is to write up the report regarding the organisation
The hardest bit is to secure an appointment
The most enjoyable part is when I get the job done
Learned a great deal about what's happening in Singapore.
Pros
Working alone with no disturbances.Get to know many corparations.
Cons
Time not enough.
great team work with financial gain
money broker (Former Employee) –  London12 September 2018
would be. starting. early around 7.00am finishing. around 5.00pm
learned. all about the. financial markets, great. team work hard working hardest part of the. job was getting. up at. around 5.00am and. the. late. evenings most. enjoyable was when the. market was. busy and the. social entertainment
Brokerage House
SENIOR US TREASURY BOND BROKER (Current Employee) –  New York, NY24 October 2018
Typical day at work is 6:45am-5pm and entertain customers a few times per month. It can be an exciting and fast-paced environment. The job requires long hours and very quick decision making abilities.
Poor Managment
Junior Global IT Finance Analyst (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NY2 March 2018
They are not concerned with building a succeful business. They downgrade systems, demote managers to cut salary costs, have tons of temps but have them work as full time, not the place you want to be.
Pros
Non
Cons
Nearly Everything
Fun Place to work at
Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NY13 October 2018
Great place to meet people and have fun at work. Culture is usually intense, due to the trading floor. People are usually friendly to work with. Every year they have Charity Day during 9/11
Fast
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Whitney, TX12 November 2018
Full of smiles. And a fun working environment. Always clean and neat. Full of amazing people very small town. Almost everyone knows everyone so it feels like home.
Pros
Amazing managers
Develop a "Thick Skin" for Corporate Careers
Broker (Former Employee) –  New York, NY16 April 2013
BGC Partners is a learning lesson. The culture is centered on closing deals with little time spent on company morale. BGC has high employee turnover. Individuals learn very quickly in this "sink or swim" environment.

You are part of a team whose sole responsibility is raising the bottom line. Management will do everything they can to maintain this perspective.

Salary raises are hard to come by, unless you are showing activity in a job search outside of the company. If you want to get ahead, you have to manage the company like you would a client in order to close a deal.

The hardest part of the job is balancing your work like with your private life; separating the way people act in the office from the way people act in everyday life.

The best part of the job, is closing the deal when your back is against the wall. You develop a "thick skin" that serves as a protective attribute for your future pursuits.
Pros
fast paced, learning environment
Cons
work-life balance, morale, raise procedures, company contract
Management is very poor
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TN10 May 2018
Management is very poor. No one cares about your advancement or how hard you work, it's a man's world in this Memphis office. Such a sexist leader, it is awful.
Pros
new office
Cons
management
Great place.
FX Broker (Former Employee) –  London7 September 2018
Great place and great people. Very knowledgeable and professional in what they do. Whilst doing my work experience I learned a huge amount about capital markets.
Sale traders have a lot of freedom and initiative to drum up business
Global Macro Sales (Former Employee) –  New York, NY14 July 2018
Very flexible working hour as sales trader earns 50% of what you harvest in the market place. Friendly and congenial place to work. The office is conveniently located in Jersey City.
Pros
Allow personal initiatives and independence
Cons
overly regulated iwth compliances
Not a place for young talent
Dev Customer Support (Current Employee) –  New York, NY12 July 2016
A lot of senior folks with many years invested in the firm have a lot of knowledge but everything is run old-school. Management is unprofessional and there is little to no room for advancement.

Technology is very poor. Systems go down all the time and most of us do not even have functioning (or any) laptops/cell phones.

The benefits are average to below average. Again, if you have no other options then BGC is a stable choice. However, if you are qualified to go elsewhere, please do.
Great place to learn
Project Administrator (Current Employee) –  New York, NY24 June 2018
Great place to grow. Fast-paced environment and team based culture, things get done quick. Overall company takes care of their employees very well. Would recommend.
Get experience and move on
Production Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NY8 July 2013
Very good with having a regular nine hour work day. Ability to learn what you would like to though many areas are proprietary applications with poor documentation. I have had set skills since we were bought by BGC but forward looking I would have to say it is stale. Management is not very good from the higher ups on down. Zero leadership, really. All moves in the firm are parallel. Co workers tend to be un helpful as in my group everyone is fearful of losing their job and job security is their focus, not being helpful and yes, the business does suffer from this. The hardest part of my job is usually dealing with unhelpful people. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to deal with people I have dealt with for quite some time and everyone knows me from being there so long.
Pros
No micro management, work/life balance
Cons
Unhelpful co workers, in experienced managers
rather not
Fixed Income Broker - Asian Credit (Former Employee) –  Hong Kong, HK27 March 2018
Negative reviews seen here - are from a very different time that's before the reorganisation in the first quarter of 2017. In those times, highly driven sales individuals were paid really well - but this sometimes could be at the expense of teamwork and morale.
Productive but not enough staff
Market Data Administrator (Current Employee) –  New York, NY26 December 2017
I work from 8:00 to 4:30 my job is enjoyable, but we are so under staff, that there is too much work for one employee to do. The most enjoyable part of my job is the coworkers I work with as they have taught me a lot for the past year I've been there and I enjoy working with them.
Great internship, learned a lot
Summer Technology Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NY10 March 2017
I interned for 9 weeks in the IT department of BGC Partners, and I loved every minute of it. The employees understood we were there to learn and gain experience, and they made sure to assign interns meaningful work. My boss was fantastic...even if he was busy (which he often was) he made time to talk to me and answer any questions I had. Every one I worked with was friendly, incredibly smart, and genuinely wanted to help us interns have a great time at BGC. The company stresses the importance of communication and good working relationships, and it really showed during my time there. Additionally, while I worked in financial tech I was more interested in financial legal/compliance as a career, so my supervisors set up a meeting for me with their compliance department so I could learn more about that field. I definitely recommend this internship to any college student with even a mild interest in finance or technology.
Productive and competitive work place
Broker (Current Employee) –  London, ENG27 September 2015
- A typical day at work would start at 6.30 AM before the market opens - reading the news on the way to the office and once inside I turn on my terminals and start chatting with the customers to find out if they are watching any particular product and then when the market opens it is a non stop busy day till 5.30.

- I learned a lot from BGC experience on a personal level : watching carefully listening and taking initiative were the key skills I developed with BGC.

- Management team at BGC are professionals hard workers and very competent.

-My co-workers were all professionals and I learned a lot from them.

- The hardest part of the job is during those days when the market is quiet and we have to find new trade ideas

- The most enjoyable part of the job is by far the adrenalin during trading
Pros
Great company that push the employees to always perform better
Financial Intern
Financial Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NY8 December 2017
This was a good experience to learn how the business world worked. Helped teach me about the financial markets and Bloomberg. All of the employees were very helpful and willing to help me throughout the internship.
Bgc
Oil Derivatives Swaps Broker (Former Employee) –  London, ENG29 September 2014
A typical day would be to source new clients whilst reviewing the markets, then I would contact the existing clients to update them about our view of the market. I would then work the market all day to find markets for the traders, I would also execute on behalf of the traders in the platts window.

I learnt how to function under allot of pressure ,in a very fast pace and demanding environment, I also learnt how to handle rejection from traders that do not reply to calls and IM's.
It was such an amazing experience to talk daily to such well accomplished and educated traders and provide them with information that helped them trade and with the markets they needed.

Management was great, no issues.

My co-workers where patience and experienced and very internationally so I was exposed to allot.They where also allot of fun.
The hardest part of the job was the reject by traders who had a bad day and would take it out on me.
Pros
I loved developing and maintaining new and existing clients
Cons
Traders random negative attitude