Bethany Care Society

Bethany Care Society Management reviews

Canada82 reviews
I enjoyed working at Bethany. I loved working with the residents. Other staff could be competitive. Management had their favourites. Wages were great. Overall it was pleasant to work there.
13 April 2020
Hello,
Thank you so much for your positive review. We are glad you had an overall pleasant experience!
Toxic CEO with zero people skills. Managers, administrators and staff are nothing but dispensable soldiers. No matter how desperate you are for a job, if you value your mental health, I would not recommend working here.
Pros
Leave of absence program
29 June 2020
Thank you for reaching out to us. We would like to learn more about your specific situation. Please contact Jillian.Palbom@Bethanyseniors.com with details of your experience and we’ll follow up with you directly.
It has a great management and workplace. Organized, clean environment relax site and great nice people. Working schedules are proper and reasonable. It was a challenging job but it was enjoyable and I gained so much knowledge for caring elderly with dementia.
7 January 2020
Thank you for your review! We are so glad to hear that you gained so much knowledge in caring for the elderly with dementia. That's great that you found Bethany to be a reasonable and organized environment to work in and that your coworkers were a nice group to work with!
Bethany is a place like a home we Care, We work hard & We love residents. Bethany have a good vision and mission and the management excellent. Bethany is the place you work with a good heart and peace.
24 December 2019
Thank you so much for your review! We are happy to know that you are part of an awesome team at Bethany Riverview. We are so glad to hear that you feel that your work environment feels like home and that your group lives out the Bethany mission and values!
Positive and supportive leadership team. Management is extremely resident-Centered and this is demonstrated in the care that the residents receive. Wonderful place to work
12 December 2019
Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback. Our employees at Bethany strive for Service Excellence and are committed to supporting residents in a safe, comfortable and secure environment.
Very poor morale. Toxic management. Not supportive, critical. Do more with less mentality. Wages and benefits are decent.
In summary, get a job elsewhere if possible.
13 November 2019
We would like to apologize for your negative experience at Bethany. Thank you for leaving a review and reaching out to us. We’d like to learn more about your specific situation. Can you please contact Lisa Watson, Vice President and Chief People Officer at: lisa.watson@bethanyseniors.com with details of your experience and we’ll follow up with you directly.
I recommend for anybody who is interested to work in Bethany Care Society. the residents are awesome as well as staff members, especially management. the environment working there is like home.
24 October 2019
Thank you so much for your positive review! Working with seniors is very rewarding and we are glad you recommend working here. We are happy to know that you are part of an awesome team that gives excellent care to our residents. It’s so good to hear that you feel that your work environment feels like home!
Not a good place to work, management allows bullies to do what they want, management picks favourites, and there is absolutely no support for HCAs. Poor work environment, staff force residents up and to eat daily. Would never recommend to anyone
I have worked at Bethany Calgary for over 20 years and have seen a lot changes in my time but the last few years have been pure chaos. Layoffs, FTE cuts, hiring freezes, working short staffed all with resident cases continuing to get more complex. The worst is the treatment of staff by the site Adminstrator. Staff are publically berated, humiliated and spoken to like we know nothing. I know many staff have reached out to head office about their concerns of bullying and disrespectful treatment from management, but nothing gets done. They would rather protect dysfunctional managers than listen to the people who actually care for the residents.
In the year and a half that new Administrator has been in place, she has driven out almost entire site management team, some of them having been at Bethany for over 20 years. We used to have Care Service Managers that were inspirational and motivating, they cared the residents and staff. Now we have inexperienced managers and its the residents who suffer from the loss od experience, knowledge and wisdom.

It is truly sad what is happening at Bethany.
10 September 2019
A CEO that openly expresses contempt for the people who work there has created a culture of fear and intimidation that runs throughout the entire organization. A lot of really good people have either left or been fired. Little acknowledgement of success but exaggerated reaction to mistakes (real or perceived). Speaking up will get you fired. If you’re a healthcare professional you may find it a good job but if you’re a manager or administrator you are advised to avoid.
Bethany's senior leadership displays as much respect to its employees as feudal lords ruling over the peasants. Turnover is rampant (from both resignations and terminations) and the result of a culture of intimidation, fear and blame that trickles down from the top.
Under staff, poor support from the management, keep asking for extra staff but will not give us. Hard to swap shifts, hard to file overtime, hard to ask for vacation days.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Too heavy work load
Organization controlled with threats and intimidation directly from senior leadership. Head office routinely fires non-unionized admin. staff annually to maintain fear.

This creates a terrible place to come each day. People just disappear and everyone is too afraid to comment.

Best advice stay away it's not worth it.
Pros
Cons
Intimidation, fear and threats on daily basis
I loved working at Bethany Care Society!
We were having issues with an extremely aggressive resident in the locked unit who jeopardized self, resident and staff safety. I, along with other nurses, worked hard encouraging staff to chart on all behaviours in order to get this resident a psychiatric evaluation.
I had the opportunity to present all the issues we were having on the unit to management alongside the support of one the family and of one of the house doctors, which got the process rolling to get the proper help this resident needed. I felt that management was supportive with ensuring we had a safe working environment and a safe home for the residents. I am proud to have been an LPN at this location in Sylvan Lake, AB!
Do yourself a favour and don't work for this place. Poor management, disorganized and constantly changing things to try to make things "function" better. Poor and unrealistic nursing ratios and low morale with unhappy staff. Constant short staffing issues with staff already spread to thin when fully staffed. Not worth the money or the headaches.
Pros
Some decent colleagues
Cons
Too many to list
Poor, poor place to work.
Management at all levels is poor but especially management out of corporate office. They don't support their staff. They talk the talk but they don't know how to walk it. Workloads are overwhelming and there's no support to you. Everything is a priority to them and it's not a realistic or healthy work environment. Next to no resources available to you, everything falls on your lap. Many new initiatives that they want rolled out over night. Roll outs are poor, they push things out without having buy in, organization, plans etc.
No trust, no autonomy, no independence. Micromanaging, accusations and gossip is how this company runs.

Just do. not. work. here. Until they have a huge shift of people starting from the top, nothing will change.
Pros
wages are decent, but they have to be for how much work they pile on top of you or people would never stay, Most staff are truly there for the residents. Longevity of floor staff members.
Cons
upper management, workload, no work life balance
I was "let go" in a very sudden and immediate way. Made to feel like a criminal. Not sure what I did to be treated so terribly. Would have expected more from a faith-based organization. Run, don't walk, the other way if you're thinking of applying.
Processing orders from unit clerks, and sites.
Working with vendors to meet deadlines.

Contract creation and vendor management
Data entry
Inventory

Minor IT support

Processing invoices

I have learned that how to deal with difficult people due to a course I took - Effective Work Place communication.

Contract Management and Vendor Relations.

The work place Culture - Hierarchy Culture
Pros
Knowing that your work actually helps people, sometimes free lunches.
Cons
difficult people, but that is every where
The days are busy, like all places in health care. You have the typical resident to Nurse ratio. They are always implementing new programs and processes and theres a new policy every time you turn around. The last few years theyve been moving away from paper with their electronic charting, electronic medication admin program. Nursing assessments are slowly changing to electronic also. HCAs have too much charting in their POC program and often complete charting on their breaks or rush to finish up at end of their shift it seems.

There are A LOT of emails from top of the organization, newsletters and updates, which made it very difficult to stay on top of what was happening at your own site, emails from people in Calgary youve never met, and likely never would.
There are always announcements that someone has left or a new manager or executive or leader of some department you didn't know existed had been added. Seems very, very, top heavy and low insight that to improve the care being provided at the front line level those at an executive level shouldn't be so excessive. It doesnt seem that the Calgary leads realize with a happy front line staff, not those that literally run from one task to the next, youll have happier residents and families. All of the Bethany website pictures show people from Calgary, like its the only site that exists or at least the only important site, and they have rural sites with people that have worked there for years.

Bethany has some great supports in place, chaplain, social work, and a good recreation program that you can also go to when you
 - more...
Pros
Great resident care, Good teams, Good Supports
Cons
Same as all care facilitiies, never enough staff. Good luck getting any help with HR things, there used to be someone at the site, but now its in Calgary, Used to have scheduler, now its in Calgary and scheduling is computerized. Union protects lazy people
It is a good employer to work to. It is pleasant work environment. Good benefits and they support professional growth. I wish the company look into adding more frontline staff instead of cutting as it does affect the quality of care to residents.
I loved my job at the Bethany Care society. It was unfortunate that the management did not treat staff accordingly. I felt belittled when I was coming into work and constantly picked on in the unit a1. I finally had enough and decided to take my skills elsewhere.

I miss the rest of the staff I worked with and the residents dearly but I knew it was my time to go.