Bethany Care Society

Bethany Care Society Employee Reviews

Canada81 reviews
Hard work, nice co-workers, bad administrator
I enjoy my residents and the staff I work with - I have been there many years and many managers have left and new ones arrived. They will all soon leave too because the head manager is very hard to be at work for. If you just stay on your unit and ignore her then you will be fine. She is negative and mean and talks about other people a lot. BUT you will like caring for your residents that live here and you will like the staff you work with. Our building is very old too but its okay. We smile a lot and help each other - we are hoping that the big boss gets another job somewhere else and then everyone will be happy again.
15 May 2020
Hello, thank you for reaching out with your review and your service at Bethany. We’d like to learn more about your specific situation. Please contact Jillian.Palbom@Bethanyseniors.com with details of your experience and we’ll follow up with you directly.
N/a
I enjoyed working at Bethany. I loved working with the residents. Other staff could be competitive. Management had their favourites. Wages were great. Overall it was pleasant to work there.
13 April 2020
Hello,
Thank you so much for your positive review. We are glad you had an overall pleasant experience!
frendly and very supportive environment, teamwork
It was a pleasure to work for Bethany Care Society in Cochrane. Very supportive and friendly coworkers and administrative staff always offering help or an advise. Excellent team eager to deliver a great care to seniors
20 February 2020
Thank you for your five-star review. We are happy to know that your team at Bethany Cochrane is one full of friendly individuals that deliver great care to our residents.
I loved it here. Rotation work. Good pay. Union. Difficult to get into. Interview process is brutal. I met some of my best friends working here. Very fast paced.
29 January 2020
Thank you for your review. We're happy to know that you loved it here and that you found some awesome friends at Bethany.
A very good place to work for.
Benefits good. Salary is good too and it’s a good place to learn new experiences in the field of health care. This is my first work experience as a health care aide and so far i liked it. I would recommend this facility to a friend or family who would like to apply.
23 January 2020
Thank you so much for your review! We’re glad that your first experience as a health care aide is with us and that you’re learning lots in your field. We sincerely thank you for your recommendation to family and friends.
Challenging job but I had great experienced
It has a great management and workplace. Organized, clean environment relax site and great nice people. Working schedules are proper and reasonable. It was a challenging job but it was enjoyable and I gained so much knowledge for caring elderly with dementia.
7 January 2020
Thank you for your review! We are so glad to hear that you gained so much knowledge in caring for the elderly with dementia. That's great that you found Bethany to be a reasonable and organized environment to work in and that your coworkers were a nice group to work with!
Excellent Company
Bethany is a place like a home we Care, We work hard & We love residents. Bethany have a good vision and mission and the management excellent. Bethany is the place you work with a good heart and peace.
24 December 2019
Thank you so much for your review! We are happy to know that you are part of an awesome team at Bethany Riverview. We are so glad to hear that you feel that your work environment feels like home and that your group lives out the Bethany mission and values!
Positive and supportive leadership team. Management is extremely resident-Centered and this is demonstrated in the care that the residents receive. Wonderful place to work
12 December 2019
Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback. Our employees at Bethany strive for Service Excellence and are committed to supporting residents in a safe, comfortable and secure environment.
Excellent workplace
I worked in the admin office at Bethany Calgary for several months. I enjoyed the job and found it fast-paced and dynamic. During my time there, I found the administrator to be an excellent boss and I appreciated her direct approach to communication. The culture at Bethany is undergoing a much needed change under a new administrator and some of the long-standing staff are having difficulties adjusting. Overall, a great place to work.
12 December 2019
Thank you so much for review. At Bethany Calgary, our culture of caring brings out the best in us, our processes, work and interactions with residents and their families.
A reign of terror
Very toxic work setting. Most people fear the administrator including people who report to her directly. It's just understood that you tell her what she wants to hear. It's very sad to see how this has affected the motivation and enthusiasm of staff. Somebody needs to do something about Bethany Calgary.
9 December 2019
Thank you for leaving a review and reaching out to us. We’d like to learn more about your specific situation. Please contact Lisa Watson, Vice President and Chief People Officer at: lisa.watson@bethanyseniors.com with details of your experience and we’ll follow up with you directly.
Job Security + Learning Experince!
Very good company to work for ,
Learned a lot

Great experience with mentor and seniors

Friendly and helpful staff

Pays you good plus job security

Your hard work is appreciated !

Recommend this place to work .
18 November 2019
Thank you for your review. At Bethany, we strive for Service Excellence, including our student experiences. We’re glad you think we’re a good company to work for and that you learned a lot. We’re happy that you’d recommend this as a place to work and glad you had a great experience with our residents as well as your mentor.
Management at Bethany Airdrie is toxic!
Very poor morale. Toxic management. Not supportive, critical. Do more with less mentality. Wages and benefits are decent.
In summary, get a job elsewhere if possible.
13 November 2019
We would like to apologize for your negative experience at Bethany. Thank you for leaving a review and reaching out to us. We’d like to learn more about your specific situation. Can you please contact Lisa Watson, Vice President and Chief People Officer at: lisa.watson@bethanyseniors.com with details of your experience and we’ll follow up with you directly.
productive and social life style environment, every morning Monday to Friday the resident have music to entertain them
I recommend for anybody who is interested to work in Bethany Care Society. the residents are awesome as well as staff members, especially management. the environment working there is like home.
24 October 2019
Thank you so much for your positive review! Working with seniors is very rewarding and we are glad you recommend working here. We are happy to know that you are part of an awesome team that gives excellent care to our residents. It’s so good to hear that you feel that your work environment feels like home!
Not good
Not a good place to work, management allows bullies to do what they want, management picks favourites, and there is absolutely no support for HCAs. Poor work environment, staff force residents up and to eat daily. Would never recommend to anyone
Serious issues at Bethany Calgary NW
I have worked at Bethany Calgary for over 20 years and have seen a lot changes in my time but the last few years have been pure chaos. Layoffs, FTE cuts, hiring freezes, working short staffed all with resident cases continuing to get more complex. The worst is the treatment of staff by the site Adminstrator. Staff are publically berated, humiliated and spoken to like we know nothing. I know many staff have reached out to head office about their concerns of bullying and disrespectful treatment from management, but nothing gets done. They would rather protect dysfunctional managers than listen to the people who actually care for the residents.
In the year and a half that new Administrator has been in place, she has driven out almost entire site management team, some of them having been at Bethany for over 20 years. We used to have Care Service Managers that were inspirational and motivating, they cared the residents and staff. Now we have inexperienced managers and its the residents who suffer from the loss od experience, knowledge and wisdom.

It is truly sad what is happening at Bethany.
10 September 2019
I’ll give 9/10
I had the best training and learned a lot from nurses and health care aide workers . Wonderful staffing very friendly environment . Thank you again Bethany to give me a opportunity to learn .
Good place to volunteer for resume building and life experience
Generally, the other staff are very kind and helpful. The actual work can be very slow and sometimes there is not much to be done, which results in many people standing around. But it is certainly a good experience and while I wasn't there for too long it gives one a sense of responsibility which is always a good thing.
A poisonous environment and deteriorating
A CEO that openly expresses contempt for the people who work there has created a culture of fear and intimidation that runs throughout the entire organization. A lot of really good people have either left or been fired. Little acknowledgement of success but exaggerated reaction to mistakes (real or perceived). Speaking up will get you fired. If you’re a healthcare professional you may find it a good job but if you’re a manager or administrator you are advised to avoid.
Poor leadership
Bethany's senior leadership displays as much respect to its employees as feudal lords ruling over the peasants. Turnover is rampant (from both resignations and terminations) and the result of a culture of intimidation, fear and blame that trickles down from the top.
Poor Management
Under staff, poor support from the management, keep asking for extra staff but will not give us. Hard to swap shifts, hard to file overtime, hard to ask for vacation days.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Too heavy work load
Poorly Run Organization
Organization controlled with threats and intimidation directly from senior leadership. Head office routinely fires non-unionized admin. staff annually to maintain fear.

This creates a terrible place to come each day. People just disappear and everyone is too afraid to comment.

Best advice stay away it's not worth it.
Pros
Cons
Intimidation, fear and threats on daily basis