Bethany Care Society Employee Reviews

Don't work here
Management (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 October 2018
Poor, poor place to work.
Management at all levels is poor but especially management out of corporate office. They don't support their staff. They talk the talk but they don't know how to walk it. Workloads are overwhelming and there's no support to you. Everything is a priority to them and it's not a realistic or healthy work environment. Next to no resources available to you, everything falls on your lap. Many new initiatives that they want rolled out over night. Roll outs are poor, they push things out without having buy in, organization, plans etc.
No trust, no autonomy, no independence. Micromanaging, accusations and gossip is how this company runs.
Just do. not. work. here. Until they have a huge shift of people starting from the top, nothing will change.
Pros
wages are decent, but they have to be for how much work they pile on top of you or people would never stay, Most staff are truly there for the residents. Longevity of floor staff members.
Cons
upper management, workload, no work life balance
treated like garbage
Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 August 2018
I was "let go" in a very sudden and immediate way. Made to feel like a criminal. Not sure what I did to be treated so terribly. Would have expected more from a faith-based organization. Run, don't walk, the other way if you're thinking of applying.
Over all a good place to work
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB25 July 2018
The days are busy, like all places in health care. You have the typical resident to Nurse ratio. They are always implementing new programs and processes and theres a new policy every time you turn around. The last few years theyve been moving away from paper with their electronic charting, electronic medication admin program. Nursing assessments are slowly changing to electronic also. HCAs have too much charting in their POC program and often complete charting on their breaks or rush to finish up at end of their shift it seems.

There are A LOT of emails from top of the organization, newsletters and updates, which made it very difficult to stay on top of what was happening at your own site, emails from people in Calgary youve never met, and likely never would. There are always announcements that someone has left or a new manager or executive or leader of some department you didn't know existed had been added. Seems very, very, top heavy and low insight that to improve the care being provided at the front line level those at an executive level shouldn't be so excessive. It doesnt seem that the Calgary leads realize with a happy front line staff, not those that literally run from one task to the next, youll have happier residents and families. All of the Bethany website pictures show people from Calgary, like its the only site that exists or at least the only important site, and they have rural sites with people that have worked there for years.

Bethany has some great supports in place, chaplain, social work, and a good recreation program that you can also go to when you
  more... have resident problems to solve or things that residents need additional help with. They have a cool student program in place with RDC so at times there are students to help with care, only wish it was all of the time. Bethany CollegeSide has a bus for the residents so not always depending on public transit so that's a big help. The managers are both RNs and seems to care about the residents and staff, they follow up if you take something to them that you are not happy with about new nurses that aren't carrying their weight or aren't following the care plans.
Ive worked at the hospital for a few years and rarely even see the unit managers of the units I worked on, but at CollegeSide you see them all the time, and they are approachable and check in without breathing down your neck. They have a good volunteer team that do lots of nice things for the residents, and they help with feeding or taking residents on outings, walks or other activities. There is a small store that the Volunteer Lead runs that raises money for the residents activities or things for the residents on the units. You can find some cool things there. They have pets for the residents that live on a few of the units and staff can take their Dogs to visit the residents too as long as their pets are pre-approved. The majority of nurses are really great to work with, you have a few lazy nurses that try to pull rank but most are really good and caring and of course I have seen how the union protects the lazy ones and how it affects the good staff when they have to work twice as hard but its only a few and that type of things is everywhere you work in healthcare or not. Overall its a nice place to work if you take the time to get to know everyone and what they do there.
Pros
Great resident care, Good teams, Good Supports
Cons
Same as all care facilitiies, never enough staff. Good luck getting any help with HR things, there used to be someone at the site, but now its in Calgary, Used to have scheduler, now its in Calgary and scheduling is computerized. Union protects lazy people
Employer
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 July 2018
It is a good employer to work to. It is pleasant work environment. Good benefits and they support professional growth. I wish the company look into adding more frontline staff instead of cutting as it does affect the quality of care to residents.
Bethany Care Society supports its employees and empower them to grow and develop. Bethany offers competitive wages and great benefits.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Cochrane, AB19 June 2018
Bethany is an example of a great employer who offers competitive wages and benefits. promotes employees to further grow and develop. Staff and family engagement is valuable at Bethany. Bethany care society has been growing rapidly throughout the last few years.
Difficult.
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB13 June 2018
I didn't care to work here, as many of the workers were jaded and didn't care about compassion. I loved the residents, but I think some of them were misplaced in the open units.
Pros
Very peaceful atrium.
Cons
Rude workers, very little compassion.
I like break time so i could go for fitness to fit for me at job physically.
Building Operator Worker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 May 2018
Bethany Care Society is a great place to work under its set up work culture. I would rate to bethany with 4 star since there is some differences. Bethany is greatly expanding organization.
Working here introduces to a lot more interaction with staff and residents.
Healthcare Aide (Current Employee) –  Didsbury, AB26 April 2018
It is more fun having to work with other staff always in a day to day job. We get to learn more on more skills offered from in-service education programs. We also get to provide care with more clients.
Pros
Fixed hour of work
Cons
Short hours
Great place to work!
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 February 2018
Bethany Corporate was a great place to work. The people are friendly and the workplace culture is great. The workload is not too stressful. Managers are friendly and supportive. Plenty of training is provided.
Pros
Good work life balance, good benefits/compensation
Cons
Small deduction for parking.
productive and fun with table billiard and with atrium
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 February 2018
i learned a lot in the bethany care hillhurst, the surroundings, community, nature and the people their was so good and i cant wait to work their as a Health Care more than a Food Server. thou that their are some residents or clients was aggressive their still good and has a good bonding with their friends, roommate and to their Health Care Provider or Caregiver.

Want to know more about Bethany Care Society?

Ask a question
Great place of work
MAINTENANCE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB29 November 2017
friendly and always willing to lend a hand if needed. The staff are friendly and are there for any type of support that you need. all around i felt that it was a great company
Hardworking, honest, passionate,ability to work in group or invdividual.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, AB8 October 2017
I have been working as a volunteer in Bethany from Aug 2017. I usually go twice a week. I visit residence and assist them in some activities as well as try to get smile on their faces. I have learned a lot from volunteering and gaining experience as well.
Unfortunate
Heath Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB6 September 2017
I loved my job at the Bethany Care society. It was unfortunate that the management did not treat staff accordingly. I felt belittled when I was coming into work and constantly picked on in the unit a1. I finally had enough and decided to take my skills elsewhere.

I miss the rest of the staff I worked with and the residents dearly but I knew it was my time to go.
Fun place to work
PERSONAL CARE AIDE (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 August 2017
Very enjoyable place to work. Found the residents to be witty and keep you on your toes. I looked forward to going to work everyday was very exciting!!
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Losing patients
amazing place to work
Healthcare Aide (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 August 2017
amazing place to work. i have referred people numerous times to my work place. a typical day involves taking care of clients and making sure patients are given the appropriate attention needed
Great people, equity and fairness instilled in culture
Manager of Financial Services / Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 August 2017
Great organization to work for.
Good culture
Good management team
Best part of the day is being part of a team
I learned a tremendous amount, especially from the CFO
Pros
Good opportnity for professional development
Cons
Workplace is very warm and welcoming.
Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 June 2017
I learned helping in moving and out of beds,baths and other specific issues.
Maintain safe,secure and friendly client environment by following Health Care Aide plan.
The hardest part of the job is to leave the resident when your done the practicum.And the most enjoyable part of the job is when i am doing story telling that makes them happy and having a good conversation with my resident.
Decent place, hard work
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, AB, Red Deer, AB19 May 2017
It can be devastating to work with people at end of life and I have a lot of respect for those who work here. There can be sloppiness among health care aides, often due to time restraints and understaffing.
Pros
Great people, great connections
Cons
Long hours, disgusting conditions at times
Fun workplace, friendly staffs and with great managemant
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 April 2017
I learned a lot from this company, from the staffs, nurses and from clients. I learned to handle stressful situations, i learned in documentations and transfering clients using different kinds of mechanical lift. I provide dignity, independence, privacy, preference and client's safety.
staff are friendly and supportive
RAI assessor/LPN (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 February 2017
staff are very welcoming to new hires, teach very well but some nurses are not all that competent making it hard to work with them

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bethany Care Society. Our community is ready to answer.