Best Western

Best Western Employee Reviews

I just loved working with everyone at Best Western Hotels the staff were friendly and helpful 👍 best experience.. management is easy to work with .
The time constraint of 15 minutes per room on cleaning for housekeeping and minute by minute tracking set an unrealistic and gruelling pace and I was often dissatisfied with my work because I was rushed. Further, unclear and conflicting schedules which we received on a weekly basis, often the day before the week was over, left me unable to plan a social life outside of work. Management made little to no effort to correct these oversights or improve policies to make the environment better, but my coworkers did their best to help each other when possible.
Pros
sometimes we got tips
Cons
unrealistic expectations for physical labour
Nonexistent management makes for a terrible place to work. Also there are no standards for cleaning and/or sanitizing!!! Don’t be fooled by the lobby and main area, behind the scenes the kitchen is filthy and never cleaned properly.
Pros
Some great coworkers
Cons
No management
The owners are very rude, they micro manage and watch the cameras all day and night from home then call the front desk and complain about things... 20 year old manager “owners son” has zero hotel experience and makes out with the blonde bartender during work hours!!! It’s crazy there... do not ever work there
Cons
Owners are crazy people
When I was there management aweful as soon as they saw you might get your rooms list done early even just half an hour before clock out boom 4 more room you have to clean cus they already booked customers in those dirty rooms(btw this is in 2020 covid year). Love to overwork there housekeeper till they quit and high i mean HIGH staff turn over rate. They love to work you 6 days a week 8 hours a day and they're so shorty on Housekeeping that you'll probably be called in on one of your 2 days off which are also spread apart through out the week.
Pros
Ummmm
Cons
Loooong hours
As part time maintenance I was taken advantage of to feel like I had to cover everyone else who was off or called in sick. Was run ragged. Certain worker would sleep in rooms while doing his work and never got punished (because of skin color) even though using key card to gain access, also showing up late was ok for that worker as well.Some front desk workers were rude to me as well and seem entitled.
Cons
Staggered hours
If you're a robot that will dedicate your life to the hotel, or a student working part time, you'll be fine. Otherwise, go elsewhere, the workplace ethic of the full time staff there is barely human, and the (absentee) owner's business ethic will make you question life itself. Be careful what you say to whom, it WILL be used against you. But if you're fine minding your own business and doing the daily tasks for about an hour, and spending the remaining 7 hours doing barely anything you'll be fine.Great support staff, housemen (a.k.a. janitors), maintenance people, and the housekeeping are fantastic people that you'll WANT to be friends with. Barely got to get to know the rest of the front desk staff as I basically worked alone my entire (relatively short) time there.Management disapproves of independent minded people that would rather know why certain things are done the way they are, instead of doing them blindly. Also, the Accountant/Front Desk Manager barely works during the daytime, so good luck getting feedback from the only person that can tell you if you make mistakes. Hardest part is the dead time, you'll literally sit there for hours doing nothing at times, you'll yearn for the times where 15 people show up at the same time.Best part however is when people feel valued by you due to the nature of your good service, seeing your name appear in reviews will make your day. And like mentioned above, DON'T OPEN UP TO PEOPLE WITH YOUR SAME JOB TITLE, some people actually arrive early with the specific intention to talk with management about what goes on behind their - more...
Pros
Great support staff that will make your day so much better
Cons
Terrible relations between management and staffing. You have no value there as an employee, you're a meaningless cog.
Hotel Property has alot of value for the guest. Management of Pomeroy Lodging that owns this hotel location is the biggest down fault for the brand.
Pros
Nice Hotel Property
Cons
Poor Upper Management
Lots of responsibility for the pay. work alone at night with minimal security. Felt safe until a co worker was robbed. Guest can be rude. Regular quests are great
Pros
Lots of variety nice managers
Cons
Open 24/7 365 days a year
I love working at this place, they are very cooperative, and motivating.The culture is diverse and they provide high standards of cleanliness to the guests. Just have to work in fast paced environment. Most interesting part is working in teams.
Pros
Discount on lunch, flexibility with shifts
Cons
Extremely fast paced environment
Fast paced on certain days, pay could be better in Quebec. Family friendly, fair prices, amazing work ethic. Definitely miss working at this company as a receptionist.
Pros
Get to see and know other cultures that walk through their doors everyday. Very happy environment.
Cons
Pay should be higher for bilingual workers.
The management is incredibly poor. In unionized departments it's nearly impossible to get fired for being incompetent which gives little incentive to hard working individuals. You will be worked harder than a slave and given very little recognition for it.Some unions are practically useless in challenging management and can do nothing about the "management has the right to manage" clause which seems to be the ultimate overriding clause that can be used at any time for any reason. This gives absolute control to management and removes the illusion that you are somehow protected by the union.The organization is run as a tyranny and anyone who does not fall in line gets threatened with "insubordination" which will be used as a reason to dismiss you. If you ever even verbalize the words "discrimination" or "harassment" you are irrevocably put on a black-list that will make your life very difficult.
Worked for hospitality for several years its a stressful job when you love it’s fun time flies when it busy. If you got some good attitude people it fun to work ..
Pros
If you know the job it easy to rock n roll
Cons
Politics
I love working there. There is always room for advancement if you put the effort in. Pay is good plus benefits and monthly bonuses, and a RRSP match program. I have been there going on 3 years now. Most of our staff has been there 10 plus years, including janitorial 30 years. People stay because it is a great place to work!!
I worked here for 6 months and the owner of the hotel is not at all a hood employer. I would not recommend anyone to work here. None of the employees were happy and left the job. Every month they hire new employees and fire them in next 2-3 months, they like to take salaries of their employees as well
Cons
It was fast pas very busy keeping up with doing my job to get to know new people have to wear proper clothing i learned to use different tools
Pros
1 free meal
Cons
After many years being subjected to management that did not value nor respect my work ethic, time management or any of my important skills (transferable or otherwise), my employment with Best Western ended that. Even though the pay is low, I am treated as part of the team, valued for my skills and work ethic and respected everyday by an incredible supervisor.
Pros
Awesome managment, flexible and fair scheduling, good hours
Cons
Pay is typical minimum wage which is a con for most people doing essential jobs
I liked working here but I guess I could not keep up and like I said there where maybe 3 manager that where nice one was not nice and one was awesome
Pros
Nicepeoplefor the most part vacation pay
Cons
Long hours for littlepay and well it was like being in highschool with the gossipthat goes on there
Very good place to work. Everyone is kind and polite to one another. There is always help available if needed. Good benefits and hours available. Enjoyable work environment.
Not a bad place to work by any means. Good co-workers and solid Management. Tools provided for some of the work could be better but that goes for almost every place that provides tools for its workers.
Overall it's a fun place to work, it keeps you busy until the time you leave. The opportunity to work alone is another aspect. If you like people this is the place to be.
  1. Employee reviews