Best Version Media Canada

Best Version Media Canada Employee Reviews

Canada15 reviews
Good concept for community-based monthly mgazines but content people are undervalued
Content coordinators are not paid enough for their work. The focus is on securing ads and making money and the content of the magazines is less important. Some magazines are great and that is because of the content people.
Most supportive environment imaginable
I worked with BVM Canada for almost 2 years. It is an AMAZING business. The only reason that I left was that I had personal family issues Those issues were continuous and they interfered with my work. I want to make it explicitly clear that BVM Canada was willing to accommodate me, but I wanted to sort my life out and I sincerely hope to return to them in the future.
BVM Canada provides you with everything you need to succeed right from the get go. Every single day after completing the intensive training there is further elective training that can be taken at no cost. All consumable presentation materials are provided free of charge and mailed directly to you as often as you need them. BVM Canada shares your successes. When you make a sale it is an AMAZING feeling. The only better feeling is when the president announces your name to whole company so everyone can feel the excitement! I have never felt so encouraged, supported, and valued in any other job.

Working with BVM Canada was by far the best employment experience I have ever had!

I am a far better person for having worked there.

If you're considering this as an opportunity, be warned, it takes considerable effort, but if you're willing to learn from your mistakes, follow the program, and sharpen your skills, in very short order you will be on the path to becoming the best version of you that you can be. Beyond that this job can be incredibly lucrative, but you will realize that shortly.

Apply if you're willing to learn and stay positive!
Very difficult to make a living getting magazine up and running
I was very enthuised to work for BVM however, I did not realize the amount of work for little return. You should expect to work 12-15 hours per day (or more) for 6-9 months (or longer). Your savings need to carry you so you need to be willing to PART with your savings as you try to survive the passing mark from associate publisher to publisher...and there is still no guarantee. This is very much like real estate. 5-10% of publishers make lots of money...the rest are starving and the turnover is exceptionally high. It can be done...I saw great success stories but not many success stories.
NOT a pyramid scheme
This company is not a pyramid scheme. This company will change your life. There is a reason it is called Best Version Media; not only is it the best way to reach a targeted market, it is the best way to be the best version of yourself!! Yes you are your own boss and yes you have to work hard at the start to make money and if you dont have a way to cover your bills covered for 1-6 months you should consider whether this is for you. If you can be humble and follow the teachings and the method they have, it will be worth it a 100 times over. Be ready, it forces you to hold yourself accountable and follow through on what you say. The support from management is top notch and they have all been through the ups and downs that all new publishers go through. I just launched my first magazine and it is more than I could have imagined! If you want to challenge yourself and do something that is good for the community, this is the place to be!
Pros
Income growth/Set your own schedule/Advancement opportunities
Cons
You are responsible for your own outcome
Total pyramid scheme. Don’t waste your time on this scam
A scam that will waste your time, money and energy. They require your to shoulder the risk and financial burden while they way for their cut. Their business model is to send out mass adds on job boards, send out a mass emails to show you the video of their lies. They hope to you snag you. They make you think your being personaly contacted. Once just to prove this after I quit , I applied to 3 different “positions “ with them and I was rehired 3 times. If a company isn’t interested in paying salaries or if your using your own transportation they don’t pay for gas then they are not legitimate company. Also under review by better business organization here in my province.
Pros
None!
Cons
A pyramid scheme.
Awesome leadership, Amazing culture
Writing this review is tricky for me, because I did not reach the potential that I know exists in this company, but I don't blame the company for that.
I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with BVM, and I would recommend it to anyone who is willing to stick to the program. Successful publishers in this company must be disciplined, organized, and self aware. There is big money to be made and it can be very rewarding - however, it won't come easily and it will take a LOT of self discipline on your part. Even though the management is there to support you whenever you need it, ultimately you are working for yourself and building YOUR business, since ultimately, you are the one that sets your own schedule and goals. No one will breathe down your neck to make you work, but no one is going to hold your hand either. Its all on you - for better or worse.

If you're a self starter with an entrepreneurial mindset, you can do very well in this company. But its not for everyone.
Pros
Amazing Leadership, Incredible support from management
Cons
Income depends on whether or not your clients pay bills, Print media is a tough sell, getting your foot in the door is #1 hurdle to new business
I love working with BVM. The two reasons why I chose to work with BVM is the culture and the opportunity. The culture is truly what the videos talk about. And the opportunity speaks for itself (although if you are not committed to work hard it might not work for you).

The people are also amazing to work with, and I have never worked in a place where there is so much support. Keep doing what you are doing BVM.
Great atmosphere and income opportunity
I have worked at many companies and it truly is different in a good way. If you don't want a boss and want to be in charge of your your own income levels this is a great company. Work life balance meaning you don't have to work crazy hours to be successful. You don't even have to have sales experience. True it's not an easy job and there is a lot of rejection in sales but what job is easy. The job involves meeting with a lot of local businesses to sell them advertising. It's not rocket science....but you can make a lot of money especially after a year or two.
Pros
Unlimited income, job freedom, work from home; supportive management, awesome leadership. Connect with local business owners.
Cons
You have to be self motivated to sell, and thats not for everyone. Rejection in sales, need to have a thick skin.
Interview fail
After having my phone intevriew resheduled a third time, I requested a face to face as we lived not far from one another. This was also changed twice then finally put back to a phone call interview, I then decided not to bother. This got the "manager/publisher" for Western Canada upset and belligerent. Glad I did not go to work for him.
Company I can see myself for the rest of my life
After learning about BVM it sounded too good to be true at first but I did my due diligence and learned that this company is the real deal for people who have a good strong work ethic and want to work independently. The culture is truly unparalled anywhere else....lots of support and help, but you truly are in charge of your own success. I had never worked on commission before but would now never go back to a limited pay. Also had never sold advertising before but learned very easily and the product is so sellable. Work hard in this company and you will get paid for it!
Pros
High percentage commission, Set your own schedule, In charge of your own pay, Great high quality product, Management is awesome
Cons
If you are lazy you wont do well, You have to be a self starter
The Best Company Culture I have come across in my career.
One of the best opportunities to work in an exciting company with a very bright future, a wonderful supportive management team and tremendous income potential.

A fantastic platform through which to build connections and become part of your local community.
Pros
Tremendous income potential
Cons
100% commission based.
Interesting
BVM operates in a difficult market. They have many successful publishers, and the financial numbers they claim to be making are impressive. Margins would be good but in BVM's market they are often up against a multitude of competitors, many making the same claim of quality, delivery, niche, and community focus.

If you have a head start, say by bringing a portfolio of current valuable print ad clients, you might make it. For a rookie it's a tough sell. 12 months tie ins for ads are an additional obstacle.

You won't get a mock up magazine copy, so you rely on other magazines as examples. Difficult to sell vapourware to cynical customers.
Pros
Nice passionate people, good concept (on paper)
Cons
Difficult startup, barriers to entry
Official response from Best Version Media Canada
11 March 2016
We’re sorry to hear this person didn’t have 100% satisfaction, but we wanted to make a couple of counterpoints:

1. We don’t have a lot competition in the market for the type of magazine we produce. Sure, there are several cheap advertiser-type mailers out there, but our product is vastly different. We produce beautiful high-quality, full color magazines that feature a cover story on a local family. We also have advice columns written by local experts and local business profiles. It’s an excellent way for people to get to know their neighbours. Simply put, our magazines get opened by readers, unlike the junk mail that most people get. Our advertisers love this.

2. You don’t need a large client portfolio from the start to be successful. We give our publishers all of the tools and training they need to be a success right out of the gate.

3. We provide our new publishers with several copies of actual magazines we already have in print when they are meeting with advertisers to open a new magazine. When customers see these actual magazines they know they will be advertising in an attractive, high quality magazine. Why use a mock up when have the real thing to show to advertisers? There’s no mystery as to how good the magazine will look.

4. We encourage you to look at the many 5 star reviews we have received on this and other websites. We think you will be impressed.
Not what I expected
I am sure there are some success stories here, but there are certain flaws with the business model:

1) expectation of a new employee to work for an unknown period of time without pay until they can reach the "baseline".

2) expecting a "publisher" to commit to selling advertisement space on a magazine without knowing who/how/where/ when the articles are produced, pictures are taken etc. which is what they are expected to sell to their customer.

3) unrealistic pricing model where each ad costs $500 per month and has to be signed for 12 month contract which minimizes the number of businesses that are willing to participate (it's a magazine, and not a whole lot of people read those any more). I live in a very upscale neighborhood and I can tell you for sure that 75% of businesses here can not afford to participate in this ad campaign

4) Poor communication from territory manager

I was contacted via email to be interviewed on the phone, and the first interview was conducted 45 minutes late, which the manager apologized for. after the first interview I was left asking myself about a couple of the above mentioned flaws. the second interview on the phone was scheduled and to my surprise the call was made to me an hour earlier than what was expected, at which time I was not available. When I called back the manager seemed to be in a rush, and kept repeating the same thing over and over when I asked clarifying questions regarding the model itself.

Regardless I was left underwhelmed and in awe of how a company like this can grow with this level of communication. I would not
 - more...
Official response from Best Version Media Canada
19 February 2016
This reviewer stated that it is difficult to sell advertising for a magazine that’s not yet in print. Not only is the reviewer wrong, they are dramatically wrong. Every one of our magazines opens this way. It is true, however, that an inexperienced person would have that fear, that we understand. We provide all of our Associate Publishers with sample magazines from a handful of our hundreds of successful magazines already in print that shows clients the beautiful layout and content we have. We work with our Publishers every step of the way to get the magazines into print. This reviewer never even attended our training where all of this is fully explained.

The reviewer stated that not a whole lot of people read magazines anymore. This is not true for our magazines. Our company is growing faster than 99.9% of all companies in North America because of our contemporary approach. Although it may seem counter intuitive in this digital age, micro-targeted magazines are very well received.

Finally, working with BVM is not a “hobby” as our explosive growth in the last few years proves. This is a great opportunity to make an excellent living as our hundreds of successful publishers can attest to.

Best Version Media Public Relations Team
The people are the best part of Best Version Media
Chance to be an entrepreneurial franchise owner without the franchise fees. Freedom to have a life outside of work; however the support of a very large and successful company where you can utilize strengths and cultivate long term relationships, while consistently working towards long term residual income. This is a job you can retire with!

A typical day involves hard work, but nothing good is easy. Cold-calling and referral generation is a necessary part of the job for long term success. Great training as well as ongoing support helps a lot. The daily conference calls help especially for someone with little sales background. If you enjoy community and really creating something from the ground up this is for you.

The best part of BVM is the people all the way from the top to the bottom.
Pros
Work life balance, unlimited $$ opportunity
So much opportunity, so little time!
I have been with BVM for 6 months now and I just can't believe my luck to have stumbled upon this company. I am already making a pretty darn decent income and I am just getting started. The people are like a great big new family that truly cares about your success. They are hands down the nicest , most excited, motivating and encouraging group of people you will ever hope to meet. It is a pretty contagious atmosphere to be a part of. The business is 5 star classy and the magazine concept is the best thing that I have ever seen in print.. This is warm fuzzy touchy feely stuff. Every single person you show it too is wowed and impressed. Even if they can't get involved for whatever reason at the time, most of them want future call backs and its such a great way to meet and connect with the who's who in your community.
The people love it, the businesses love it and I definitely love it. Everyday I am excited to get out of bed. Who can say that!

I am ready to launch my second magazine and give up my real estate license for good. I have finally found my calling! I encourage you to give this a chance. A neighbourhood needs you.

Thanks BVM for this opportunity.
Pros
Real people, fun contests, daily inspiration and motivation, education
Cons
No Cons, just pros.