Best Buy Employee Reviews

lies
GeekSquad Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 February 2018
cheating the customer and giving them false information for them to buy their warranties.
was not a place were I could learn as it was a downgrade from my qualification and it was just about telling lies to take customers money and not the honest trust to earn their business
Pros
staff discount
Cons
very little pay for the work
Good place to start/earn essential retail experience
SENIOR SALES TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC21 February 2018
Best Buy was once a great company but in the recent times seems to have lost a step. The business model is outdated and needs changing with new and innovative thinking.
was a good part time job
Cashier/sales (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB20 February 2018
was a good part time job overall, but you are not promised hours, and they over staff a ton. resulting in less hours for everyone else. i enjoyed my time there but since i left it has gotten worse
Pros
discount on products
Cons
the hours suck
Chq
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 February 2018
One of the worst companies I've ever worked for. they do not care about what their employee ideas are. Everything is top down. Managers do not care how their ideas implicate your job, even if its in a negative way.

Best Buy CHQ pays way under market across all departments, especially in IT. They have annual lay offs and will continue to do so. Only thing great about this place is the discounts you get. However, sometimes its not even that great, you might find better pricing on Amazon.

Save yourself the time and headache and just apply anywhere else but CHQ Best Buy, especially if you are in Software Development. They tell you its an agile environment, but it is really waterfall. You will not be able to grow your skills as a developer. Look at their website, everything looks the same for years.
Pros
discounts
Cons
managers.
its ok
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 February 2018
its ok when you are in school and you need work but if you think this is life long job then you are mistaken. learn and move on....!! nothing too special. good co workers
Pros
none; its a job that will help you survive
Cons
its a minumum wage job and they expect too much
Management plays favourites
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON15 February 2018
The culture and environment is absolutely amazing! But it is very clear to see that management has favourites when it comes to shifts. There is almost like a clique like environment with management and some employees. The pay could have also been better. Other than that it's an amazing place to work!
Pros
Gorgeous staff room, Fun environment, Easy job
Cons
Cliquey, Management playing favourites, Low pay.
Review about Best Buy
IT Support Technician (Part Time) (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC13 February 2018
I've been working in this company about 3 months. I really love the environment and the management. we are like a family and we have a same goal. we all try to achieve that and help each other.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 February 2018
This was a great company to work for enjoyed the atmosphere lots of fun with the colleagues and working with electronic was great and all the video games .
Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 February 2018
Great place to work at for part time. Corporate culture is very good as well. Management is not bad. I loved helping people out and making sure they found the best fit product for them.
i really did like working there...
Sales (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON13 February 2018
My hours were drastically cut, and i cant afford to wait around there anymore and see if they go back up. the people who run the store are great, my coworkers were amazing. the energy was unbelievable.
good company
front cash lanes and customer service desk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 February 2018
good retail store. I enjoyed working here but the hours were not great. I worked every weekend but overall they treated me very well and i learned a lot that served me well.
Pros
discounts
Cons
schedule. no work life balance
Sales - Adult toy store
Connected Solutions Senior (Current Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON12 February 2018
Work 8.5 hour shifts with one break
Friendly work environment
Great benefits
Variety of training options - with little time to complete
Customer service - sales
Pros
training, benefits, discounts, friendly team atmosphere
Cons
Under staffed, high school atmosphere
Okay Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 February 2018
Good job to have has as a student. Not much room for growth. Managers pick favorites and lots of miscommunication. Great discounts on games and electronics.
Horrible Management
Mobile Sales Expert (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 February 2018
Horrible Management. They make you sell warranties and products even if the customer doesnt need it.
Unethical at times.
GM was just flat out a horrible leader.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Managers, Pay, Terrible work culture
All and all meh
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB10 February 2018
to be honest its actually a great place to work and the values the company says they want to project seems legit and they do seem to care but all and all the people i worked with ended up spoiling it for me for how i felt about working there.
Pros
hubfood, decentpay, easywork, friendlystaff.companythatcares
Cons
nohours, clicks, favoriteisum, badmanagment, badpay
Commission not commission
Connected Solutions Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ON9 February 2018
the day starts with me clocking in whenever I'm supposed to. then i have to go to the back room and grab a clipboard that they pretty much force you to use to sell geek squad services. they say best buy is not commission in terms of product sales but its commission in terms of geek squad services. whether that be geek squad protection or geek squad home memberships. they also want you to always try to attach accessories to each sale. I'll admit the people are great and they have events for the employees and such but the geek squad is being shoved down the employees and the customers throats.
Good experience but unrewarding.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON9 February 2018
Learned about the electronic and technology industry. Was able to develop my customer service skills and learn different sales tactics. There were decent employee discounts on products. The amount of work I put in to make money for the company was overlooked and unappreciated. With no commission incentives , most employees lack interest to go above and beyond there sales goals.
Pros
Employee Discounts
Cons
Lack of incestives
They can really do better
Training Captain / Home Theater Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON8 February 2018
Sure, it can be faun and neat job. The pay? NOT GOOD. For al the wealth of info that we possessed while working there, we sometimes even trumped the "pros" of home theater/cell phones/computers. A lot of customers wondered why we all didn't work in higher paying jobs. How can we if those places don't look at your resume seriously? They think we're minors at any age. Best Buy shoots themselves in the foot here.

The managers are good, until the big wigs come in. Then, most of them are all too keen at pleasing the CEO's. I'm glad at least four of the many diferent managers I worked with weren't brown nosers. They complied with their duties, yet they knew and expressed about that there are better ways to deal with certain aspects of the company. So, my hats off to those four or five that did want better things.

Wish I had went to college and had a better job. This wasn't a good job. Even though it suited me to a tee.
Pros
Customer interactions, staff, some fun memories
Cons
Bad pay (we were worth a lot more than they paid), uninteresting policies that didn't help customers needs enough
Productive workplace
Sales Supervisor Home Solutions (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC7 February 2018
Very busy workplace with not so good management. Pay was horrible but benefits were ok. Would not recommend working there. Company knows about the problems but are not willing to do anything about them.
Slow and exhausting days
associate (Current Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC7 February 2018
Best buy is a great place to work for the most part. Sometime you have days where no one walks into the store and it becomes a very long day. Overall a retail job is great to have in your belt.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
long days

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Best Buy. Our community is ready to answer.

55.8K