Best Buy Employee Review

CSR: Enjoyable for a casual job.
Customer Service Representative 2 (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 July 2012
Best Buy was a very enjoyable place to work, but like most jobs of a similar calibre, what made it most enjoyable were the people you work with, not necessarily the job itself. However, I liked being around customers and providing the very best I could for them, and making sure they leave the store with a smile on their face and confidence that someone strived to provide excellent service, tailored for them.

Most people think Customer Service Reps get yelled at constantly all day by customers, but it's quite the contrary. That being said, however, this is also what I found to be the hardest part of being a CSR at Best Buy, especially without having any seniority within the department, because customers would always demand to talk to a "higher power", which left me feeling like I couldn't do my job without "backup" from management.

In my experience, each person with the title of either "department senior", "supervisor" or "manager" were very conniving, unfair, untrustworthy, conceited, and weren't team players. They pushed a lot of their own responsibilities down onto employees lower than them in the company hierarchy, leaving those employees swamped with work (that wasn't even theirs) every day they would come into work. Management will try to take advantage of you in any way they can. Again, it's the people you work with on the front lines (not those who sit in the back office all day) who make working much much more bearable and enjoyable for you. Furthermore, employees were rarely praised for good performance, but instead docked for simple mistakes or realistically small
  more... issues. (I was fired for being short 10 dollars from my till; I have ADD and anxiety problems so counting cash in front of customers was hard for me)

If you are looking a retail company to move up into a management position, Best Buy will provide many opportunities for you. Within less than one year, I saw a CSR move up to an Operations Manager, and many others change positions and gain promotions with ease. I got offered a few supervisor positions at age 18. This is due to a high turnover rate, but if you are even slightly committed, I would say advancement is easy at Best Buy.

Best Buy is a decent place for students, or part timers to find employment. If retail is where you want to go with your life, Best Buy is a very good starting block, either way.
Pros
laid back environment, decent pay, employee discount, opportunities to move up and around the company.
Cons
poor management morals, possibly repetitive/boring work.

Other Best Buy Employee Reviews

top company excellent culture
Home Solutions Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 December 2019
top company excellent culture like minded people
they take care of employees very professional and giving line management salary an issue as Vancouver is expensive but ample growth chance
Pros
nice employee discounts
Cons
salary
Productive but fun
Product Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC10 December 2019
Best place I have worked at to date. Made lots of friends through working with Best Buy and got the opportunity to grow with the company. From working with the company I got the chance to learn new skills that I can use for other jobs.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Best Buy. Our community is ready to answer.

58.9K