Best Buy

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

The best part of this job is the staff, easy to form genuine friendships here. Overall, an alright place to work, especially for retail.

I have made lots of friends here and gained lots of great experience. Your safety and well being is prioritized by management, especially in the times we are living in.

Exciting and Competitive Place to Work

Best Buy Canada HQ is exciting and competitive place to work. It's filled with high performing, and interesting colleagues that helped me learn on the job and grow my career.I had the most fun working at Best Buy than I have had in my career so far. The team there is fantastic and filled with high performers, and overall great people. It can be stressful at times due to the nature of any retail business, but it certainly pays off if you're a competitive, results driven person.I felt the work/life balance was excellent and although sometimes I was expected to work late once a week to complete time critical weekly tasks, my team and manager was flexible on my working hours so long as the end results were there.Standards are high and there is pressure to meet results - especially if you have defined sales or marketing budgets to work with. But I've found the goals and compensation fair for the roles I've held here.I hope this review helps with your career hunting. All the best.

Pros

Excellent colleagues, exciting environment, discounts and special access to new products

Cons

Competitive industry, long hours during peak season, expectation to work late to complete time sensitive tasks/projects

I work with great people! There are some favoritism and not a place to grow.

The leadership is a joke ,there are not opportunities to grow ,it doesn't matter how hard people work. Multi-tasking job and not enough pay. Horrible by week squedules. Difficult to make a good balance life.

Pros

Employees discounts

Fun place to work

It's a nice place to work. Colleagues are great. A lot of fun. Strongly recommend working there, particularly for fresh graduates. Benefits are also good, including dental plan,

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Good place to work because of the people

Working there was an interesting experience. The training you receive and the people you work with are the best part but they push you to meet your numbers very hard, especially for Geek Squad even when you're not making commission. Pay wasn't up to par for the amount they expected of sales associates atleast for me.

just testing and loading

we are not doing the job for the position they hire. They hire with one position and make us to do different work which is something that makes us feel why they hire for this position as product tester

The worst retail job I have ever worked.

I thought Best Buy would genuinely be one of the better retailers to work for. Especially seeing them on top ranked companies to work for. And Geek Squad sounded like a good fit given I had a similar background. And maybe it was just my store but this place lives and breathes on drama happening. The work culture is extremely toxic and there is a lot of work place bullying happening. That and general disorganization on part of management to where I didn't have necessary logins to do my job effectively for my entire time there. There's also a lot of turn over I noticed just even in my first two weeks. Either people leaving for better paying jobs or just transferring to different stores. Management is also very much "the customer is always right, the employee is always wrong." And you will be treated like you are of lesser intelligence, regardless of experience.As for job perks? There isn't a lot of them to be honest. I can't comment on the medical/dental benefits, but the employee discount is nonexistent. Select products you have to pay the same as the customers. I get we're in a pandemic and things like consoles and computers are hard to come by. But this doesn't give me incentive to work harder. Find better opportunities elsewhere, it will be more worthwhile.

Pros

Some nice coworkers. That's it!

Cons

The entire experience.

Amazing Work place !

I worked there only for couple of weeks and had the best experience of my life . Team lead TJ is an amazing person and everyone in mobile team. Loved working there.I left because I got the job in my field and honestly regret it.

Pros

Great environment /work life balance/perks of discounted electronics and million other.

Really fun and relaxed

I really enjoyed working at best buy, I had great coworkers and what I thought was great management.Close to the end of my seasonal contract I was laid off and told they couldn't keep anyone from my department, I find out they kept everyone but me.I would be have completely okay if they were honest. Was even told they would contact me with any open positions, didn't end up happening.

Pros

Discount is good

Cons

Long hours, breaks suck, management lies to you

Great Culture

Team environment have had opportunity to learn and grow career wise. Fair pay and good benefits. Inclusive and friendly people. Opportunities to grow

This was an enjoyable place to work. I gained a lot of sales knowledge and experience and was always supported when I expressed interest in learning something new. Favouritism is definitely prevalent here, but you'll be hard-pressed to find somewhere where it isn't. The workplace culture was great, many people become genuine friends which made work fun to come in to every day. If you're looking to get sales experience, this is a great place to start.

No quality family life

Walk away. If you want to maintain your goals just walk away. Family time means nothing to them regardless of how much time and energy you spend on fixing a problem.

The corworkers are the only redeeming quality

Overworked and underpaid is how i moved up quick but if you dont sacrifice your sanity you will be stuck. Targets are unrealistic and disconnected from the reality of today's economy. Half your crucial systems will be down at any given time. If you want the experience of retail and make some great friends, this will do. But long term you may need therapy.

Pros

Employee discount, coworkers are nice

Cons

Long hours, erratic schedules, poor communication

Feels like rock bottom

The managers and supervisors don't educate you about 99% of the products you sell so it just feels like you are walking around blindly here disappointing customers with your lack of product knowledge. The hours are long and often stressful, and you are expected to be a guru of product knowledge and deal with bs customers for absolute minimum wage. The breaks are short and most often late (and unpaid) because you aren't allowed to go on break until you are done helping the current customer.. and the worst part is that when you are walking towards the break room, ANOTHER CUSTOMER STOPS YOU AND ASKS YOU ABOUT A PRODUCT YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT.

Pros

Coworkers

Cons

Long hours, Minimum wage, Absolutely everything

Profuctive and fun workplace

Very open and honest people and very easygoing way of doing things they have great communication skills and try their best to make your move into their group quite warm

Part time job

I worked here for a few months during the holiday period. Very busy and hectic. Management is busy doing their own thing to be helpful. Everyone else is either new or think too highly of themselves to help new hires.

Disorganized with pressure sales and no work/life balance

The first red flag was being asked to be in a group chat that wasn't about covering shifts or growing relationships - but to provide training information and cover topics that employees should be paid to review. I was also asked to do some of my very unhelpful training material at home, unpaid. When I asked why I was told "it will save time."There is little to no respect of work/life balance, you will be expected to perform pressure sales, and the training was incredibly unorganized.

Pros

Health benefits

Cons

pressure sales, unorganized, unfriendly

Decent place to work, easy job in a hard setting, low wage

Do not need much to join the In-Home Field Agents team, the most important requirement is a G-class driver's license, being able to carry loads up to 50 lbs., willing to learn, being decent to people, and be able to drive 3 - 6 hours a day. The work mostly consists of mounting and installation of TVs, smart home devices, and if you are good with computers some computer troubleshooting and networking. Initially, do not need to know anything, there are training sessions as well as on-site training. The starting wage is something between 14.5 up to 16.5, and will not go up that much other than on very special circumstances. On the other hand, the benefits are actually good, CPP match, employee discount, health and dental, RRSP, etc. The shift usually starts before the store opens and it ends before the store closes, overtime is not unusual due to the nature of the work, you will end up with a lot of nights coming back after the store is fully closed and even managers are home. Working on weekends and holidays is not mandatory, but management expects it like any other job in retail, you should consider working at least one day at weekends.Company culture on paper is great but in practice, a lot is being missed. Managers are a little indifferent about people's performance, more effort and dedication do not necessarily mean faster promotion or better pay, and most of the time not even a thank you, on the other hand, they are also as careless with discipline as well, people who are slacking off are not facing proper consequences, which might be attractive to certain applicants. -

not a good place to work

Not satisfied at all management is not good No respect for the people who have been working longer if you work you should get more respect but we feel unsecure we do not know when is our last day if we are not a good worker why we are there for so many year

It was both good and bad

I worked there and did tons of floor work as well as got recruited into helping geeksquad with on the road jobs too. I did everything I was asked to do and when I was struggling it was likely for zero training I received. I had to teach myself tons of things but when something went wrong I would be blamed when it wasn’t my fault I was thrown into the deep and put on the spot. I enjoyed the job once geeksquad got involved because it wasn’t hard to learn that job, and as I felt like I was doing well for the first time, I get let go. They really played with my confidence and I wish I was still working there but I also wish I had been treated a bit more fairly.

Pros

Free lunch occasionally, friendly workers, nice environment

Cons

Long hours, short breaks, bad management

Great management but start out at minimum wage and not many full-time positions.

Great management everyone is very friendly and management is on your side in customer disputes. Start out at minimum wage with opportunity for increase on anniversary of hire date. Not many full-time positions only a few per-department aside from managers. Most departments have a group chat so most days it felt a bit difficult to get that disconnect on your days off unless you turned off notifications.

Pros

Employee Discount

Cons

Holiday time is rough especially big sales days like boxing day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Best Buy. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Best Buy with