Best Buy

Canada2,732 reviews

Clear
3.5Pay & benefits

Found 672 reviews matching the searchSee all 32,218 reviews

Used to be a great place to work until new leadership ruined it

Good benefits, poor wageNever enough employees to work due to unwillingness to hire full timersEmployees get abused by customers with little accountabilityNo career advancement and lots of favoritismEven on your days off you could never truly escape the companyNo training at all for new employees

Pros

Great health coverage Awesome colleagues

Cons

Poor wage No training Customer abuse No career advancement

It was an ok workplace with a high tempered manager.

It was an overall good job either than the fact that I got yelled at for taking home an IPhone 13 for my mom, that they said was free since I worked there for 19 years.

Pros

Well payed

Cons

Bad management

Alright for retail.

This job really depends on your managers. Some are okay,most are not great. Pay is basically minimum wage, you can’t take any time off around christmas.

Good job for part timer

I worked in high school, it was a fine amount of hours and the pay was standard minimum wage. Managment and other coworkers were really friendly and helpful in my location

Pros

Good, friendly coworks/managment.

Cons

Can get very busy ver quickly.

Worked as a general labor doing order picking. Very easy.

It was a seasonal job. When there’s no work they will send you home. So not guaranteed 40 hours.

Questionable management, boring repetitive tasks, good work environment

Product testing is easy and anyone can do it. You don't need to have any tech experience whatsoever. It's very boring and monotonous. Some room to move to repair laptops, data recovery, etc. Pay is ok for what it is but not great. Product testers are the lowest on the food chain and are not treated the best by management. There is a very high turnover rate and most other product testers did not see their 6month contract extended. Management would rather let and hire a new employee and train them all over again than renew an employee that has been trained and has already worked there for 6 months. The work culture at the depot is good and enjoyed working with my colleagues.

Pros

Best buy discount, working with great hard-working colleagues

Cons

Boring, monotonous, incompetent management

Exciting and Competitive Place to Work

Best Buy Canada HQ is exciting and competitive place to work. It's filled with high performing, and interesting colleagues that helped me learn on the job and grow my career.I had the most fun working at Best Buy than I have had in my career so far. The team there is fantastic and filled with high performers, and overall great people. It can be stressful at times due to the nature of any retail business, but it certainly pays off if you're a competitive, results driven person.I felt the work/life balance was excellent and although sometimes I was expected to work late once a week to complete time critical weekly tasks, my team and manager was flexible on my working hours so long as the end results were there.Standards are high and there is pressure to meet results - especially if you have defined sales or marketing budgets to work with. But I've found the goals and compensation fair for the roles I've held here.I hope this review helps with your career hunting. All the best.

Pros

Excellent colleagues, exciting environment, discounts and special access to new products

Cons

Competitive industry, long hours during peak season, expectation to work late to complete time sensitive tasks/projects

Team was good, Leadership is very good and approachable. It was an awesome experience working in best buy. I worked for around 1 year and it was Employee discounts :)

Pros

Nice cafeteria, and free shuttle from Metrotown.

Great lunchrooms and storage for employees and always friendly co-workers

Everyone is super nice and understanding. Management is flexible and will adjust according to your schedule upon hiring. I enjoyed my time here and everyone working together in your department is like a small family.

Pros

Free lunches at times, good staff/management

Cons

Frustrating customers.

It was good

It's a good part-time job to have cause benefits was applicable to part timers and the hours were pretty flexible but not the best. Depends on manager and location as well

Management is awful. Work life is worse.

Post COVID 19 this location fell apart.Management no longer cared about you nor the customers happiness only their wallets.You will be told not to apply to certain positions. As they have already made their decisions before giving any associates the ability to apply for them.Your mental health will not matter to the company in the slightest here. They state mental health matters. Though after a trip to the hospital for a mental health emergency I was written up for being late.I beg you not to work at this store.

Pros

The people I have met.

Cons

Management was terrible, Forcing to sell bad services without employee compensation or commission, Low pay, Hyper competitive environment

Fun place to work

It's a nice place to work. Colleagues are great. A lot of fun. Strongly recommend working there, particularly for fresh graduates. Benefits are also good, including dental plan,

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Push, mislead, and pressure the customer to buy like you're on commission. But you're not on commission!

Great for people that have no life outside of work. Soul crushing management, no regard for family. Expect minimum sales expectations based on your hours. If you don't make your targets management would rather discipline than assist. Employees are expected to figure everything out on their own. Training is focused on not getting sued and pushing extended warranties and expensive in home services on every sale. Expect to be questioned regularly on why the customer didn't take "protection". Above average employees can enjoy a 15-25 CENT raise every year if targets are met.

Pros

See the latest tech first. Get to play with everything on display, Staff discount is great on accessories, special discounts monthly for new product launches, Crazy discounts on mattresses and furniture, fun in the beginning, Fellow staff are great

Cons

Store leader micro manages the entire store, never deals with customer issues directly, Expects staff to resolve then you get written up for helping the customer, Low pay for high expectations, Female staff are expected to work customer service getting yelled at, or as a cashier, Less than 1% females are leadership or Floor sales staff

Good place to work because of the people

Working there was an interesting experience. The training you receive and the people you work with are the best part but they push you to meet your numbers very hard, especially for Geek Squad even when you're not making commission. Pay wasn't up to par for the amount they expected of sales associates atleast for me.

The worst retail job I have ever worked.

I thought Best Buy would genuinely be one of the better retailers to work for. Especially seeing them on top ranked companies to work for. And Geek Squad sounded like a good fit given I had a similar background. And maybe it was just my store but this place lives and breathes on drama happening. The work culture is extremely toxic and there is a lot of work place bullying happening. That and general disorganization on part of management to where I didn't have necessary logins to do my job effectively for my entire time there. There's also a lot of turn over I noticed just even in my first two weeks. Either people leaving for better paying jobs or just transferring to different stores. Management is also very much "the customer is always right, the employee is always wrong." And you will be treated like you are of lesser intelligence, regardless of experience.As for job perks? There isn't a lot of them to be honest. I can't comment on the medical/dental benefits, but the employee discount is nonexistent. Select products you have to pay the same as the customers. I get we're in a pandemic and things like consoles and computers are hard to come by. But this doesn't give me incentive to work harder. Find better opportunities elsewhere, it will be more worthwhile.

Pros

Some nice coworkers. That's it!

Cons

The entire experience.

Collaborative work place

An opportunity to learn about the new technology in the market. The interactions with the customers help us to build up our confidence. A fun,supportive and collaborative work environment. The management is always available to help us out.

Pros

Employee benefits

Cons

Tiring on sale days

Good company

Worked in the retail store while i was in school. Very good experience and fun. Christmas parties were always fun and so were the fundraising events every year.

Pros

Company parties, funraisers

Cons

Politics

Great Culture

Team environment have had opportunity to learn and grow career wise. Fair pay and good benefits. Inclusive and friendly people. Opportunities to grow

Decent part time job

Awesome people to work with, decent part time job for anyone in school. Can get busy during the crazy sale tomes of the year. Not very flexible with hours

Pretty decent

Aside from management not being able to do their jobs properly they were good people. I learned a lot about different products and I got to meet wonderful individuals. Pay could be better cause you are potentially selling products that are worth thousands of dollars just to get paid $15 a hour for it.

Pros

Good co workers, product knowledge

Cons

Management, pay

The corworkers are the only redeeming quality

Overworked and underpaid is how i moved up quick but if you dont sacrifice your sanity you will be stuck. Targets are unrealistic and disconnected from the reality of today's economy. Half your crucial systems will be down at any given time. If you want the experience of retail and make some great friends, this will do. But long term you may need therapy.

Pros

Employee discount, coworkers are nice

Cons

Long hours, erratic schedules, poor communication

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Best Buy. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Best Buy with