Best Buy

Best Buy Management reviews

Canada2,732 reviews

Clear

Found 1,163 reviews matching the searchSee all 32,218 reviews

Used to be a great place to work until new leadership ruined it

Good benefits, poor wageNever enough employees to work due to unwillingness to hire full timersEmployees get abused by customers with little accountabilityNo career advancement and lots of favoritismEven on your days off you could never truly escape the companyNo training at all for new employees

Pros

Great health coverage Awesome colleagues

Cons

Poor wage No training Customer abuse No career advancement

It was an ok workplace with a high tempered manager.

It was an overall good job either than the fact that I got yelled at for taking home an IPhone 13 for my mom, that they said was free since I worked there for 19 years.

Pros

Well payed

Cons

Bad management

Great working environment with

Relaxed dependable coworkers who helped me learn and get a handle of my duties quickly. I felt very comfortable and content to go work after only a few weeks. I enjoyed interacting with the customers and helping them find what products worked best for their needs. Management was always easy to work with.

Pros

Free food whenever there was a very difficult day, Hub area with Nintendo switch and snack bar - very affordable, Dependable upper management that dealt with matters appropriately and positively

Cons

Hours can be very strenuous, EX: 4am-12pm however management is very willing to swap you to a later shift, If you are not an independent worker it will be difficult to fill time, Very customer oriented have to be energetic for most of the shift

Questionable management, boring repetitive tasks, good work environment

Product testing is easy and anyone can do it. You don't need to have any tech experience whatsoever. It's very boring and monotonous. Some room to move to repair laptops, data recovery, etc. Pay is ok for what it is but not great. Product testers are the lowest on the food chain and are not treated the best by management. There is a very high turnover rate and most other product testers did not see their 6month contract extended. Management would rather let and hire a new employee and train them all over again than renew an employee that has been trained and has already worked there for 6 months. The work culture at the depot is good and enjoyed working with my colleagues.

Pros

Best buy discount, working with great hard-working colleagues

Cons

Boring, monotonous, incompetent management

Culture needs work

Burnout is common, departments fight with each other so there's no sense of collaboration. It's very political and antagonistic, so you have to be caerful about what you say to anybody. I use my stories and experiences from Best Buy as examples of what a company shouldn't do.

Pros

Nationwide, recognizable brand

Cons

Culture, management, tools

Fantastic place to be in

Great fantastic place loves working there I mean get to work with the latest tech duh!!! One thing I wasn’t a fan of is how the management pushes that warranty ugh

Good place to start and just get some experience with communication

Good place to start and just get some experience with communicationYou have to be quick witted and be able to provide the services that the customer you are helping can benefit from Management and team is very approachable and helpful

Pros

Bestbuy Discount

Cons

Lack of training for specific products

Great lunchrooms and storage for employees and always friendly co-workers

Everyone is super nice and understanding. Management is flexible and will adjust according to your schedule upon hiring. I enjoyed my time here and everyone working together in your department is like a small family.

Pros

Free lunches at times, good staff/management

Cons

Frustrating customers.

A dime a dozen job

There’s nothing special about this place. Not much better or worse than my previous retail positions. Some people care some people don’t, just get through your shifts and you’ll be fine.

Never had a good manager

Its okay if you like tech stuff. Hard to advance as most positions get filler very quickly. the management kept getting turned around. the general manager at my store was pretty good though he never cared enough to talk to anyone unless there was some sort of problem though.

Management changes made the store go downhill. Fun co-workers and easy tasks other than that.

After getting new management the store went downhill, no proper training was given so the older employees would have to do the job of more than one person. The company overall is slow in communicating changes to the employees. It used to be a fun environment to work in before.

Management is awful. Work life is worse.

Post COVID 19 this location fell apart.Management no longer cared about you nor the customers happiness only their wallets.You will be told not to apply to certain positions. As they have already made their decisions before giving any associates the ability to apply for them.Your mental health will not matter to the company in the slightest here. They state mental health matters. Though after a trip to the hospital for a mental health emergency I was written up for being late.I beg you not to work at this store.

Pros

The people I have met.

Cons

Management was terrible, Forcing to sell bad services without employee compensation or commission, Low pay, Hyper competitive environment

The best part of this job is the staff, easy to form genuine friendships here. Overall, an alright place to work, especially for retail.

I have made lots of friends here and gained lots of great experience. Your safety and well being is prioritized by management, especially in the times we are living in.

Amazing co workers and a great way to learn about tech

Great place to work, good management. Customers can be difficult sometimes but everyone is very supportive.

Pros

Fun environment and coworkers

Cons

Pay and customers

it was fun and fast-paced.

Job experience greatly varies by management team but I had a great time when I worked there. It is a great place to work when you are a student as they are quite flexible with the hours.

Pros

Culture, co-workers were nice and discount is nice

Cons

Management can be hard on the workers

Push, mislead, and pressure the customer to buy like you're on commission. But you're not on commission!

Great for people that have no life outside of work. Soul crushing management, no regard for family. Expect minimum sales expectations based on your hours. If you don't make your targets management would rather discipline than assist. Employees are expected to figure everything out on their own. Training is focused on not getting sued and pushing extended warranties and expensive in home services on every sale. Expect to be questioned regularly on why the customer didn't take "protection". Above average employees can enjoy a 15-25 CENT raise every year if targets are met.

Pros

See the latest tech first. Get to play with everything on display, Staff discount is great on accessories, special discounts monthly for new product launches, Crazy discounts on mattresses and furniture, fun in the beginning, Fellow staff are great

Cons

Store leader micro manages the entire store, never deals with customer issues directly, Expects staff to resolve then you get written up for helping the customer, Low pay for high expectations, Female staff are expected to work customer service getting yelled at, or as a cashier, Less than 1% females are leadership or Floor sales staff

Great Discounts, Horrible Managment

The job itself is a standard retail gig. The issues with this particular location lead back to the current managerial staff in place. During my time at this location I saw many instances of senior level staff either not leading by example or blatantly lying to lower level employees without any repercussions. The General Manager at this location plays favorites and advancement only seems to be reserved for "Chosen" employees.

Pros

Staff Discounts are great.

Cons

Rampant Favoritism

The worst retail job I have ever worked.

I thought Best Buy would genuinely be one of the better retailers to work for. Especially seeing them on top ranked companies to work for. And Geek Squad sounded like a good fit given I had a similar background. And maybe it was just my store but this place lives and breathes on drama happening. The work culture is extremely toxic and there is a lot of work place bullying happening. That and general disorganization on part of management to where I didn't have necessary logins to do my job effectively for my entire time there. There's also a lot of turn over I noticed just even in my first two weeks. Either people leaving for better paying jobs or just transferring to different stores. Management is also very much "the customer is always right, the employee is always wrong." And you will be treated like you are of lesser intelligence, regardless of experience.As for job perks? There isn't a lot of them to be honest. I can't comment on the medical/dental benefits, but the employee discount is nonexistent. Select products you have to pay the same as the customers. I get we're in a pandemic and things like consoles and computers are hard to come by. But this doesn't give me incentive to work harder. Find better opportunities elsewhere, it will be more worthwhile.

Pros

Some nice coworkers. That's it!

Cons

The entire experience.

Really fun and relaxed

I really enjoyed working at best buy, I had great coworkers and what I thought was great management.Close to the end of my seasonal contract I was laid off and told they couldn't keep anyone from my department, I find out they kept everyone but me.I would be have completely okay if they were honest. Was even told they would contact me with any open positions, didn't end up happening.

Pros

Discount is good

Cons

Long hours, breaks suck, management lies to you

Collaborative work place

An opportunity to learn about the new technology in the market. The interactions with the customers help us to build up our confidence. A fun,supportive and collaborative work environment. The management is always available to help us out.

Pros

Employee benefits

Cons

Tiring on sale days

Pretty decent

Aside from management not being able to do their jobs properly they were good people. I learned a lot about different products and I got to meet wonderful individuals. Pay could be better cause you are potentially selling products that are worth thousands of dollars just to get paid $15 a hour for it.

Pros

Good co workers, product knowledge

Cons

Management, pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Best Buy. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Best Buy with