Best Buy

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Used to be a great place to work until new leadership ruined it

Good benefits, poor wageNever enough employees to work due to unwillingness to hire full timersEmployees get abused by customers with little accountabilityNo career advancement and lots of favoritismEven on your days off you could never truly escape the companyNo training at all for new employees

Pros

Great health coverage Awesome colleagues

Cons

Poor wage No training Customer abuse No career advancement

Exciting and Competitive Place to Work

Best Buy Canada HQ is exciting and competitive place to work. It's filled with high performing, and interesting colleagues that helped me learn on the job and grow my career.I had the most fun working at Best Buy than I have had in my career so far. The team there is fantastic and filled with high performers, and overall great people. It can be stressful at times due to the nature of any retail business, but it certainly pays off if you're a competitive, results driven person.I felt the work/life balance was excellent and although sometimes I was expected to work late once a week to complete time critical weekly tasks, my team and manager was flexible on my working hours so long as the end results were there.Standards are high and there is pressure to meet results - especially if you have defined sales or marketing budgets to work with. But I've found the goals and compensation fair for the roles I've held here.I hope this review helps with your career hunting. All the best.

Pros

Excellent colleagues, exciting environment, discounts and special access to new products

Cons

Competitive industry, long hours during peak season, expectation to work late to complete time sensitive tasks/projects

Never had a good manager

Its okay if you like tech stuff. Hard to advance as most positions get filler very quickly. the management kept getting turned around. the general manager at my store was pretty good though he never cared enough to talk to anyone unless there was some sort of problem though.

Loved it good place to work. Back in 2011. Good times and great people.

There's not much I could say but tell you it was indeed a pleasure being with the company for the four years I stayed. Incredible team and just loads of fun. Get the service plan y'all.

Push, mislead, and pressure the customer to buy like you're on commission. But you're not on commission!

Great for people that have no life outside of work. Soul crushing management, no regard for family. Expect minimum sales expectations based on your hours. If you don't make your targets management would rather discipline than assist. Employees are expected to figure everything out on their own. Training is focused on not getting sued and pushing extended warranties and expensive in home services on every sale. Expect to be questioned regularly on why the customer didn't take "protection". Above average employees can enjoy a 15-25 CENT raise every year if targets are met.

Pros

See the latest tech first. Get to play with everything on display, Staff discount is great on accessories, special discounts monthly for new product launches, Crazy discounts on mattresses and furniture, fun in the beginning, Fellow staff are great

Cons

Store leader micro manages the entire store, never deals with customer issues directly, Expects staff to resolve then you get written up for helping the customer, Low pay for high expectations, Female staff are expected to work customer service getting yelled at, or as a cashier, Less than 1% females are leadership or Floor sales staff

Good place to start

I am an international student and this was my first job. I started working with bestbuy warehouse in October as a Warehouse Associate. The work culture is relaxed and the work is repetitive.

Great Discounts, Horrible Managment

The job itself is a standard retail gig. The issues with this particular location lead back to the current managerial staff in place. During my time at this location I saw many instances of senior level staff either not leading by example or blatantly lying to lower level employees without any repercussions. The General Manager at this location plays favorites and advancement only seems to be reserved for "Chosen" employees.

Pros

Staff Discounts are great.

Cons

Rampant Favoritism

just testing and loading

we are not doing the job for the position they hire. They hire with one position and make us to do different work which is something that makes us feel why they hire for this position as product tester

Amazing Work place !

I worked there only for couple of weeks and had the best experience of my life . Team lead TJ is an amazing person and everyone in mobile team. Loved working there.I left because I got the job in my field and honestly regret it.

Pros

Great environment /work life balance/perks of discounted electronics and million other.

Really fun and relaxed

I really enjoyed working at best buy, I had great coworkers and what I thought was great management.Close to the end of my seasonal contract I was laid off and told they couldn't keep anyone from my department, I find out they kept everyone but me.I would be have completely okay if they were honest. Was even told they would contact me with any open positions, didn't end up happening.

Pros

Discount is good

Cons

Long hours, breaks suck, management lies to you

Good company

Worked in the retail store while i was in school. Very good experience and fun. Christmas parties were always fun and so were the fundraising events every year.

Pros

Company parties, funraisers

Cons

Politics

Great Culture

Team environment have had opportunity to learn and grow career wise. Fair pay and good benefits. Inclusive and friendly people. Opportunities to grow

good job to learn about sales

Had a good supervisor who taught me how to do a sales pitch. Helped me to develop skills in understanding customer needs and cater them. The only downside is that my tenure was seasonal.

IT support

Did a contract and was way over qualified for the job. What they thought was supposed to take a year took me 7 months. IT manager is selfish never said I did a good job even though I completed the project in a timely manner. After I completed the project I was hired to do, I did have a lot of sick days. Not one time did the IT manager give any warnings or have me sign any documents to say if you take this many sick days on your project you will be terminated. IT department at CHQ is strange and if you like working for a selfish manager then apply. I did use there staff discount and bought a TV, Microwave and toaster. But there staff discount is not that good. There IT department is very disorganized and they even had expensive lap tops go missing. IT manager should be on top of this, IT equipment should never go missing and he should of made sure all the equipment was counted. Best Buy is smoke and mirrors a lot of corporate kool-aid and if you love that stuff Best Buy is the company for you, but for me Best Buy was a very strange experience and I would never work for Best Buy again.

Pros

Staff discount free stuff laid back

Cons

IT manager

Terrible Managment

The experience I had with bestbuy was relatively okay. However the pay was as little as possible and there was no room for promotion or advancement in pay. Often times management would have a very clear disdain for specific employees. If I was ever having a problem and tried to contact the head manager of my store they would NEVER reply. I mean that. They never replied to any request I made to them or any contact, regardless of situation. Upon seeking a reference I have been declined without reason given, as well. Something about the management structure is just bizarre at the location I worked at. Either way its clear that those promoted to store admin. positions need to be borderline sociopaths in order to attain those positions.

Pros

A rare small discount on something, relatively lax work environment

Cons

Job Security Non-existent, Outside hiring instead of promotions (No room for growth), Bottom line driven management with little respect for employees, Often in the dark on issues with blank stares / no answers from management when remote contacted

Great workplace good people

Like all retail work it's not always the best work you will ever do in your career. That being said the team at the Moncton Best Buy location were great. They know what they are doing, have cultivated a great work atmosphere and if you apply yourself there will always be chances for advancement.

Pros

Staff discount

work from home chat agent

I worked here for 5 years. The only good thing is that you get to work from home and the discounts. Managers pick favorites and the only way to get a head is to be on of their favorites. Most time promotions are give to either friends or spouses of the managers. Very unfair work environment.

Pros

work from home

Cons

everything else

Fun place, good company culture, I like my team

It is a good place to work, can learn a lot of things, improve sales skills, customer service skills. The managers are all helpful and patient! I feel happy for my work.

Incredible work experience with excellent management

The Best Buy I worked at in Dartmouth Nova Scotia was incredible. The time I spent there was some of the best years of my life. Management is excellent and they are always on your side. Clientele can be a challenge sometimes but that would come with any retail job. If you want to work there I would recommend it.

Pros

Management, coworkers, workplace culture

Cons

Clientele and overly numbers focused

Decent place to work, easy job in a hard setting, low wage

Do not need much to join the In-Home Field Agents team, the most important requirement is a G-class driver's license, being able to carry loads up to 50 lbs., willing to learn, being decent to people, and be able to drive 3 - 6 hours a day. The work mostly consists of mounting and installation of TVs, smart home devices, and if you are good with computers some computer troubleshooting and networking. Initially, do not need to know anything, there are training sessions as well as on-site training. The starting wage is something between 14.5 up to 16.5, and will not go up that much other than on very special circumstances. On the other hand, the benefits are actually good, CPP match, employee discount, health and dental, RRSP, etc. The shift usually starts before the store opens and it ends before the store closes, overtime is not unusual due to the nature of the work, you will end up with a lot of nights coming back after the store is fully closed and even managers are home. Working on weekends and holidays is not mandatory, but management expects it like any other job in retail, you should consider working at least one day at weekends.Company culture on paper is great but in practice, a lot is being missed. Managers are a little indifferent about people's performance, more effort and dedication do not necessarily mean faster promotion or better pay, and most of the time not even a thank you, on the other hand, they are also as careless with discipline as well, people who are slacking off are not facing proper consequences, which might be attractive to certain applicants. -

Horrible place to work

The job itself was ridiculously easy but the work atmosphere was terrible and management was insufferable. No job security and was lured in with false promises.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Best Buy. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Best Buy with