Best Buy

• Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Fun place to work

I enjoyed working here, it was commission based future shop at the time however still fun great culture and learn a lot about new and exciting gadgets and products, oh and GREAT discounts for employees especially accessories

Pros

Discounts

Cons

Standing all day

Questionable management, boring repetitive tasks, good work environment

Product testing is easy and anyone can do it. You don't need to have any tech experience whatsoever. It's very boring and monotonous. Some room to move to repair laptops, data recovery, etc. Pay is ok for what it is but not great. Product testers are the lowest on the food chain and are not treated the best by management. There is a very high turnover rate and most other product testers did not see their 6month contract extended. Management would rather let and hire a new employee and train them all over again than renew an employee that has been trained and has already worked there for 6 months. The work culture at the depot is good and enjoyed working with my colleagues.

Pros

Best buy discount, working with great hard-working colleagues

Cons

Boring, monotonous, incompetent management

Culture needs work

Burnout is common, departments fight with each other so there's no sense of collaboration. It's very political and antagonistic, so you have to be caerful about what you say to anybody. I use my stories and experiences from Best Buy as examples of what a company shouldn't do.

Pros

Nationwide, recognizable brand

Cons

Culture, management, tools

Exciting and Competitive Place to Work

Best Buy Canada HQ is exciting and competitive place to work. It's filled with high performing, and interesting colleagues that helped me learn on the job and grow my career.I had the most fun working at Best Buy than I have had in my career so far. The team there is fantastic and filled with high performers, and overall great people. It can be stressful at times due to the nature of any retail business, but it certainly pays off if you're a competitive, results driven person.I felt the work/life balance was excellent and although sometimes I was expected to work late once a week to complete time critical weekly tasks, my team and manager was flexible on my working hours so long as the end results were there.Standards are high and there is pressure to meet results - especially if you have defined sales or marketing budgets to work with. But I've found the goals and compensation fair for the roles I've held here.I hope this review helps with your career hunting. All the best.

Pros

Excellent colleagues, exciting environment, discounts and special access to new products

Cons

Competitive industry, long hours during peak season, expectation to work late to complete time sensitive tasks/projects

Loved it good place to work. Back in 2011. Good times and great people.

There's not much I could say but tell you it was indeed a pleasure being with the company for the four years I stayed. Incredible team and just loads of fun. Get the service plan y'all.

Management is awful. Work life is worse.

Post COVID 19 this location fell apart.Management no longer cared about you nor the customers happiness only their wallets.You will be told not to apply to certain positions. As they have already made their decisions before giving any associates the ability to apply for them.Your mental health will not matter to the company in the slightest here. They state mental health matters. Though after a trip to the hospital for a mental health emergency I was written up for being late.I beg you not to work at this store.

Pros

The people I have met.

Cons

Management was terrible, Forcing to sell bad services without employee compensation or commission, Low pay, Hyper competitive environment

Amazing co workers and a great way to learn about tech

Great place to work, good management. Customers can be difficult sometimes but everyone is very supportive.

Pros

Fun environment and coworkers

Cons

Pay and customers

it was fun and fast-paced.

Job experience greatly varies by management team but I had a great time when I worked there. It is a great place to work when you are a student as they are quite flexible with the hours.

Pros

Culture, co-workers were nice and discount is nice

Cons

Management can be hard on the workers

Good place to start

I am an international student and this was my first job. I started working with bestbuy warehouse in October as a Warehouse Associate. The work culture is relaxed and the work is repetitive.

The worst retail job I have ever worked.

I thought Best Buy would genuinely be one of the better retailers to work for. Especially seeing them on top ranked companies to work for. And Geek Squad sounded like a good fit given I had a similar background. And maybe it was just my store but this place lives and breathes on drama happening. The work culture is extremely toxic and there is a lot of work place bullying happening. That and general disorganization on part of management to where I didn't have necessary logins to do my job effectively for my entire time there. There's also a lot of turn over I noticed just even in my first two weeks. Either people leaving for better paying jobs or just transferring to different stores. Management is also very much "the customer is always right, the employee is always wrong." And you will be treated like you are of lesser intelligence, regardless of experience.As for job perks? There isn't a lot of them to be honest. I can't comment on the medical/dental benefits, but the employee discount is nonexistent. Select products you have to pay the same as the customers. I get we're in a pandemic and things like consoles and computers are hard to come by. But this doesn't give me incentive to work harder. Find better opportunities elsewhere, it will be more worthwhile.

Pros

Some nice coworkers. That's it!

Cons

The entire experience.

Good company

Worked in the retail store while i was in school. Very good experience and fun. Christmas parties were always fun and so were the fundraising events every year.

Pros

Company parties, funraisers

Cons

Politics

This was an enjoyable place to work. I gained a lot of sales knowledge and experience and was always supported when I expressed interest in learning something new. Favouritism is definitely prevalent here, but you'll be hard-pressed to find somewhere where it isn't. The workplace culture was great, many people become genuine friends which made work fun to come in to every day. If you're looking to get sales experience, this is a great place to start.

Unprofessional boring illiterate and spoiled management

Hindi Punjabi speaking associates and managers.Kissass culture. That’s how they promote people.If you are college or university educated don’t waste your time in this embarrassing place.

Pros

Spoon feeding type of jobs

Cons

Deal with stupid leaders embarrassingly unprofessional and no knowledge of subject

Company is amazing, Newmarket store is toxic trashheap

Amazing company to work for, fair pay, great benifits, when I first started there it felt like a second home. However, with time, the store I worked at had a very toxic management system that made it grade school feeling and def favorites were played.

Pros

Paid fair, company culture is amazing

Cons

Management at the store I worked at were toxic and played favorites, enjoyed gas lighting employees

Great environment to work at

I would work there again if I could. The staff and co workers are amazing helpers , there’s defiantly a lot to learn from working at Best Buy, you will love working there.

Great workplace good people

Like all retail work it's not always the best work you will ever do in your career. That being said the team at the Moncton Best Buy location were great. They know what they are doing, have cultivated a great work atmosphere and if you apply yourself there will always be chances for advancement.

Pros

Staff discount

Fun, stress-free place to work

Working here is a fun, stress-free and learning experience. Great colleagues, jovial and casual atmosphere, and you enjoy customer interactions. You also get to learn about the new tech in the industry and some cool employee discounts. Focus is on employee behaviors rather than outcomes. The flexibility of time is also another great aspect, and management generally speaking is accommodating. The company in general takes care of it's employees very well and the culture is great.Here's the downside - the pay. Don't expect to get paid well unless you are at a high position - Sales Lead and above. Considering the work you put in and the skills you bring to the table, there really are other type of jobs that will pay you better. Growth isn't very easy either - the culture is to help people grow, but that can depend on whether you are in the good books of your superiors.However, it's full marks for company culture and work atmosphere.

Pros

Flexible schedule, Great colleagues, Fun atmosphere

Cons

Pay, Growth will take time

Incredible work experience with excellent management

The Best Buy I worked at in Dartmouth Nova Scotia was incredible. The time I spent there was some of the best years of my life. Management is excellent and they are always on your side. Clientele can be a challenge sometimes but that would come with any retail job. If you want to work there I would recommend it.

Pros

Management, coworkers, workplace culture

Cons

Clientele and overly numbers focused

Decent place to work, easy job in a hard setting, low wage

Do not need much to join the In-Home Field Agents team, the most important requirement is a G-class driver's license, being able to carry loads up to 50 lbs., willing to learn, being decent to people, and be able to drive 3 - 6 hours a day. The work mostly consists of mounting and installation of TVs, smart home devices, and if you are good with computers some computer troubleshooting and networking. Initially, do not need to know anything, there are training sessions as well as on-site training. The starting wage is something between 14.5 up to 16.5, and will not go up that much other than on very special circumstances. On the other hand, the benefits are actually good, CPP match, employee discount, health and dental, RRSP, etc. The shift usually starts before the store opens and it ends before the store closes, overtime is not unusual due to the nature of the work, you will end up with a lot of nights coming back after the store is fully closed and even managers are home. Working on weekends and holidays is not mandatory, but management expects it like any other job in retail, you should consider working at least one day at weekends.Company culture on paper is great but in practice, a lot is being missed. Managers are a little indifferent about people's performance, more effort and dedication do not necessarily mean faster promotion or better pay, and most of the time not even a thank you, on the other hand, they are also as careless with discipline as well, people who are slacking off are not facing proper consequences, which might be attractive to certain applicants. -

Decent summer job

Worked in the photo department over the summer and almost stayed on full time but the pay wasn't great at the time. Company culture was very collaborative and fun, work environment was very engaging.

Pros

nice break room, good staff, knowledgeable managers

Cons

pay, uniform

Bad management

The title says it all. I like working there but they tend to not listen to any of their employees... thus making it hard to work there. But I love my coworkers and it’s a great environment to work in, just needs better management.

Pros

Nice environment great coworkers

Cons

Bad management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Best Buy. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Best Buy with