Best Buy Employee Reviews in Grande Prairie, AB

Found 29 reviews matching the search See all 26,811 reviews
fun workplace
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB1 July 2019
best buy was a great workplace with great management. it was a easy but at times was stressful. they have great employees that always left the customer satisfied.
Fun coworkers, ridiculous management
Senior Sales, Training, & Product (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB17 April 2019
Try not to be here for long, as you won't advance easily. Pay raises are minimal and you will get a pat on the back for working hard, but no more. Management cannot seem to keep hard working employees, I hire turnover is the result.
Pros
Cool coworkers, fun learning about tech
Cons
Poor management, low pay
Productive and Fun
Computer Support Agent (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB3 April 2019
They were a great place to work with! My fellow employees were the best thing about working at Best Buy. They also paid competitively at the time. One down side was that they required me to be available 5 days of the week while I was still in school.
I enjoyed what I learned
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB21 December 2018
Working at Best Buy was a good learning experience. However the management was poor and employees concerns were not taken seriously. Employees were not given the opportunities they deserved.
Pros
Good learning
Cons
Productive work environment, friendly and easy-going staff.
Product Process Specialist (Certified) (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB14 November 2018
I worked at Best Buy Store 986 for about 4 months before I moved away for University, it was a good experience, and I seriously considered transferring to another location in Edmonton if my course schedule was lighter. However, some of the management is very prejudice towards specific employees/departments.
Pros
Amazing benefit programs/discounts
Cons
Sore feet from steel toes.
It was alright.
Cell Shop Sales (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB10 October 2018
After the closure of all Future Shop locations in Canada, I found myself out of work. After a brief period on Employment Insurance, I found employment with Best Buy Canada for the exact position I held at Future Shop. Because they were the same company, I had already all of the necessary experience and knowledge to be a gainful employee and team member. I did not find the experience to be equivalent however; an over-bearing management system and lack of commission on sales lead me to find work elsewhere.
Pros
Easy-to-learn sales positions and flexibility on hours.
Cons
Lack of available hours and pressure to sell without incentive.
Good and well mannered employer
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB9 October 2018
I worked at best buy for roughly about 6 months, depending your role day to day work is usually very costumer oriented.You learn lots about the consumer technological needs.
Fun place to work be better if you made commission
Mobile Lead (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB17 August 2018
Fun place to work with tech and inform the public on how to use their phone. If this job was based on a commission style payment structure I would not have left.
Great Discount and fun team members, bad GM who takes out he/she's bad days on the staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB20 July 2018
Worked here for a year doing all sorts of different departments and got one raise during that one year. Employee discount is great if you need some new tech, and for the most part most team members are extrememly knowlegeable and very friendly. Some members of managment prone to favoritism including the GM. GM also basically walks the floor with a bad attitude, being aggressive towards sales staff and customer service staff about not doing something or other, almost like he/she was out to find something to get mad about. Also consistently took personal calls while on the floor all the while scolding employees for being on their own phones. Some of the supervisors are really nice, and it can be a fun place to work at times, but the managment team is a bit too much for it to be worth it. Also you will be constantly hassled about selling "service plans" (warranties) and in store services, all the while not matter how hard you try you will still be asked about it relelntessly, and even blasted with a reminder every few hours about sales targets. Which by the way doesnt affect your own paycheck because its non commision with all the pressure of a commision position. Oh and random hours posted only 2 or sometimes 1 week in advance, making it hard to schedule your life as well as you will never get black friday or boxing day off, or christmas eve let alone the days before christmas.
Pros
Employee Discount, Other Employees outside of leadership
Cons
Gm, Random Hours, Unpaid 30 min Lunch, Pay, sales pressure
Difficult management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB4 June 2018
The best part of my job was the peers I worked with. We tried to motivate, train and be supportive of one another and help each other achieve our best. While the coworkers were enthusiastic and welcoming the management were demanding, judgmental, and not understanding.
Pros
great peer support
Cons
differing management styles.
Fun and productive work place
Operations Product Process Manager (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB6 April 2018
Excellent team engagement and growth opportunities;
A typical days has theme and it well structured;
Culture of work is engaging and goal oriented;
Focused approach towards problem solving and team engagement
best place to work
Microsoft Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB18 December 2017
Best place to work and good work environment. Mangers are always their to listen your problem and solve them immediately. Good opportunities for good future.
Friendly team atmosphere
PRODUCT PROCESS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB4 October 2017
Working here was alright, not the best place to be employed in my opinion. The staff are all very kind and friendly but some of them really lack the ability to teach. Overall I did not feel valued or needed at the time I worked at Best Buy.
Advancement nonexistent
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB1 September 2017
Benefits almost balance out the below average wages for similar work(and lack of commission) but that many people spend six or seven years in an entry level position is offset painfully by the tendency to try and get rid of people who can be easily replaced by cheaper New hires in their same role
Culture and people good, oversight lacking
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB1 September 2017
The geek squad culture was great at the time of my working there, and I quit mostly because that was being compromised because the management of the Best Buy we were in were over-managing us and causing a significant amount of stress and strain to staff and customers alike
Management, pay,and job duties are terrible. only redeeming factor is from aside the GM the people are friendly.
Sales Associate in the Computer Department (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB13 July 2017
A day of the salesman will start off by grabbing a clipboard and walking around making sure customers are being helped. When its dead (the entire summer) you clean, we have janitors but they'll make you clean instead. Majority of my coworkers are friendly most actually being high school students because no one with any actual experience on how a business should be ran lasts long. The General manager frequently engages in shady business practices such as forcing people to quiet by cutting hours down or just flat out saying i accept your resignation, most are too fed up or afraid to fight it. also if your a student expect to be paid far less than even a newer untrained regular employee, full time or not.
Pros
Friendly people.
Cons
Everything else.
Cool people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB7 December 2016
I met lots of cool people there.
It is a younger work force, and I started out with an older crew, so it was a big change. Sometimes it does feel like you are babysitting and they can make pretty big mistakes that are hard to fix.
Management was my biggest issue, they did not make great decisions for the long term of the buisness, and we're not good leaders. They would push blame to their employees, as well as not helping with creating solutions, just pushing it off to others.
I did meet some cool people though and I did enjoy what I did day to day as a home theatre installer.
Pros
Fast paced sales floor
Cons
Long holiday season, management
okay starter job
CUSTOMER SERVICE/SALES (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB4 December 2016
Not a bad place to work. Not a lot of opportunity unless you want to relocate. Lots of employees come and go here it seemed.
Pros
customer interaction
Cons
benefits, hours
could have been worse
Product Processing Specialist/loss prevention (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB8 June 2016
I worked at bestbuy a while ago, it was an alright job, I made lots of friends at work and got along well with most of the management. I worked in the warehouse, which was enjoyable for me because I mostly worked nights, usually quite independently since most of the warehouse work was done in the morning. I spent a lot of time alphabetizing dvds, stocking product, and sometimes working the door, doing security. I found the work itself to be easy but not so mindless that I got really bored. One of the things I really didn't like was the way the management was set up, I found there to be way too many levels of management, supervisors, team leads, managers, assistant managers, its like they were trying really hard to make people feel important but it ended up being confusing and often kind of patronizing, I was lucky to work nights, when I did have a dayshift I often felt like I was being micromanaged, half the time by more than one person telling me to do different things and never really communicating with each other. The job culture was a little too aggressive for my liking as well, I remember being sick with a sore throat one saturday morning and getting yelled at in front of everybody because I didn't participate in the morning cheer (which I thought was kind of stupid anyway, to be honest). Lastly, I had a friend who worked in the future shop warehouse at around the same time, at future shop, the warehouse people wore plain black polo shirts so customers would know they weren't salespeople, but at bestbuy the only thing separating us from the salespeople was that we were  more... allowed to wear black pants. Obviously customers barely even noticed that and assumed we were salespeople, I was never trained in sales, I didn't want to do sales, and when they hired me I was open about the fact that I don't know very much about technology, but often when it was busy I was expected to do the job of a salesperson when asked for help by people, and I found that to be really stressful and unfair, especially considering they knew I was unable to give informed answers to majority of people's questions and they never bothered to give me any training in that regard.  less
Pros
Good co-workers, decent hours, easy work
Cons
Too much management, aggressive job culture, ruins christmas
Fun work Enviorment
Connected Solution Specialist (Co-op) (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB21 April 2016
co-workers are so friendly and helpful . love to work in such kind of enviorment. Pay rate is not upto mark. i have learned a lot about existing and new electronics technologies coming out in market.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Best Buy. Our community is ready to answer.

58.8K