Best Buy

Best Buy Employee Reviews

Canada2,601 reviews
Found 2,601 reviews matching the search
Worked for a month as a PT Seasonal associate at Etobicoke location. Had to leave as I wanted to move out of province. Learnt pretty quickly and was able to be a top performer w.r.t. NPS in less than a month. My Manager was nice and the Store Manager was great as well. Management is nice in here, although some teammates especially the Desi ones can be a bit of pain in the butt at times. There was no commission so that sucked as the wage was minimum. Nice place to learn and grow if you can stay with the Company for long. Overall a decent experience
Pros
Management, Growth potential, So many things to learn
Cons
No commission, teammates at times
Amazing company to work for with a great work life balance. The company also has very strong values and truly cares for their employees. COVID -19 was handled very well and protected all employees
Le stage chez Vidéotron est une expérience que je ne souhaite pas refaire. On apprend pas grande chose. Toujours les mêmes tâches soit installer Windows 10 ou mac office sur les ordinateurs des clients.
Le stagiaire n'a pas le droit de parler aux clients donc côté service à la clientèle on apprend absolument rien.
Pros
Aucun
Cons
Tout
Ensuring to down stock products onto the main floor.

Making sure we are helping the customers and that they are number one priority.

Performing an inventory count.
My time at BBY was my favourite job I’ve held. It’s like a family there. Although you aren’t going to like everyone the GM is amazing and truly cares about his employees. There’s lots of room for advancement and management is understanding of family/medical responsibilities.
Pros
Fun, friendly management, cares about employees
Cons
Strict availability, pay could be better
I was only there for seasonal but it was a great time! Lots of fun, great co-workers, and you get to be around and talk about tech all day where can you go wrong?
I was hired as full time, and as in my second week I started to only get part time hours...definitely not sustainable, for Adult, mostly for students.
Pros
Easy going environment....
Cons
Poor pay
When I worked at BBY, I had really good experiences. I came out as trans, and my managers made efforts to use my right pronouns and preferred name. As well as they put time and effort into learning about LGBTQ+ inclusiveness in the company, and their own lives. It was amazing. They were very inclusive and i was thankful for that.
Pros
Inclusiveness, friendly
Cons
Ambiance de travail génial pour les gens qui aiment faire de la vente. Quotas mensuel de vente obligatoire pour gardé son emploi et ce sans aucune commission, bonis ou autre rémunération que le salaire minimum.
Pros
Esprit d'équipe, horaire flexible
Cons
Pression de vente, salaire
Collegiate cultural is both good & bad. Upbeat vibe and energy, but cliquey and short-term focused. It took a handful of years to figure out existing limited search tool on ecommerce website. Siloed, does not walk the talk. Competes on cheap prices, not solid service. Annual revolving door of layoffs partly represents management 180-degree turns.
Pros
decent PCs for work
Cons
180 degree turns, cliquey, siloed, annual layoffs
Over all was a fun work place
The meetings were helpful

The pay was fair

The managers were nice

The store was clean

Advancement was great

Training was fun
Pros
Fair pay
Cons
Hard to make life plans
Bestbuy is a great Job if you're young and fresh out of high school, or you have aspirations of climbing to the top of the food chain. If you're a part timer in college or uni not so much, it pays little over minimum. The good part about the job is that management is pretty decent, i've left a lot of jobs due to terrible managers, most of the managers and supervisors are nice or fair. Discounts are nice too. Shifts are almost always available because people are always calling in. The worst part about Bestbuy is the constant push for sales and numbers. You can put up ridiculous sales and all you're going to get is a high five. Even the store itself can do better sales than the year before and you wont see an extra dime because of it, but don't worry cause the managers above you will enjoy bonuses because of your hard work. You can be a part timer at bestbuy for years and a seasonal can join the work force and be 25-50 cents behind you in pay. They don't reward experience or performance, all part timers to them are replaceable. In the end you will feel slighted by the job.
Pros
Discounts, friendly staff, extra shifts
Cons
Pay structure, Annoying sales push, The job doesnt value performance/experience
Good place to learn about technology and helping your customers how you can make their life easier using tech. Diversity is great. Most enjoyable part of work is monthly events held in store and outside.
Great part time job but too many targets. Overall great
management was difficult to work with at times

some great management as well but mostly not so much

stressful sometimes

most part was fun and easy work
Pros
good balance for studies and work
Cons
no 15 min breaks, sressful targets at times
I came in to this job with high expectations, maybe higher than they should have been. To start off, I did my interview and had an offer of employment on my drive back home. The job is to test product returns and repackage them for sale. No personal electronics can be brought inside. You must leave your phone in your locker. My phone was actually stolen from my locker and they did very little to solve or rectify the problem. Management is probably the worst aspect. They will tell you to do one thing, then get mad at you for doing it the next day. No one gives you any praise for exceeding your productivity targets, but if there is one day where you don't get 100%, they're on your case. The micromanagement is awful, supervisors will come and tell you how to do your job like you don't work there. Very few people of the management team trust and listen to you. Supervisors will come to you and ask for your opinion, but don't actually listen or take what you say. Complaints to management are addressed for a week at most, then go back to regular the following week.The wifi is fairly unreliable. In fact, management said us, the workers, were using too much bandwidth from streaming music all day. None of my location followed or encouraged any company values. It's 2020, why am I forced to use a Samsung Galaxy S5 as my "tester phone"? Why do they use inventory software from 1995? Why do we hire people with no technical background and who can't lift 50 lbs? People that go above and beyond get paid the exact same as people that coast along. A lot of the workers are very lazy. Often your - more...
Pros
Best Buy Discount
Cons
Micromanagement, poor compensation, dull atmosphere, unhygienic, stressful
There's no commission. Since there's no commission, there shouldn't be any stress, right? Wrong! There is a crazy amount of pressure being put on the sales staff, even though there is no profit that comes off the sale. Combine that, with a demanding GM, it makes for a hard place to enjoy work. Interacting with people, and developing sales experience was my biggest take away. The most enjoyable part of this job is talking with friends when things are slow. I did also very much enjoy collaborating with co-workers in sales that were substantial.
Pros
Fun to work with friends
Cons
Bad management
Good job, I enjoyed working there for the two and a half years I stayed. If you are serious about full time employment then this is a great starting place to get yourself adjusted with the retail sales game.
I hate working at best buy, the one near my house to be specific. First reason is that when you first start you don't learn about the department or the products that you'll be selling. The management expects you learn on your own or shadow someone. When I first started I asked few of my managers to help me out with certain things, but they directed me to someone else. Really didn't felt valued at that time. It has been more than a year now and I still feel like an outsider. Moreover, talking about management, I would also like to include their scheduling. Being a student, my availability is Friday and the weekends; however, the team leads would always schedule me for more than 3 days, and it has been constant for a long time now.
Pros
Opportunities to learn about new tech
Cons
Bad hours, work stress, peer pressure, competition, bad workplace environment
fun place to work at, competitive yet collaborative nature of the job. You learn a lot about your department and you make some cool friends! When you know about the product knowledge, job is super easy
Pros
lots of hours, fun
Cons
long hours, can be place of gossip
Working for Best Buy was such a positive experience in my life. I started when I was 18, and decided to dip my feet in something new at 23. Within that time with Best Buy I held numerous roles. Starting off as a Part time Customer service associate, leading quickly into store leadership and eventually corporate. I made lifelong friends and would recommend working for Best Buy to anyone. The culture, the people. It feels like home.
I was trained for 2 days then thrown into a swarm of people with no management help. I had fun with the other employees and got to like them quickly but it was pretty depressing and if you’re seasonal I wouldn’t recommend it
Pros
Fun
Cons
Management and training