Best Buy

Best Buy Employee Reviews

Canada2,963 reviews

Found 2,963 reviews matching the searchSee all 33,865 reviews
bestbuygeeksalediscountsquadcanadaelectronicsproduct

Encouraging management. I always felt at home whenever I walked into that building. Work was fun, always something new to learn.

Featured review

Best Buy selected this as a representative review
They’re very accepting and have a diverse work crew which is nice to see. I was never looked down upon for my tattoos, piercings, dyed hair. Extremely encouraging staff. I was always acknowledged for my work ethic and achievements. 10/10 would recommend.

Pros

Great benefits, great opportunity to room to move up, friendly staff, amazing environment.

Cons

N/a

Boys club

There seems to be a boys club mentality to senior management. They all stick together no matter how bad they are at their leadership and there is zero accountability if your part of the club. The individuals who work hard every day and show progress and achievements were often looked over for someone who knew someone at senior leadership level.

Cons

Senior Leadership acumen

Insights into Best Buy

• Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Horrible Experience

Stay away from this company, especially Geek Squad. I thought I was being hired for my computer skills in order to perform repairs. It became increasingly obvious that all they cared about was pushing memberships and doing as few repairs as possible. Training was minimal, and I was alone on my 4th day for half the day without proper access to the necessary software. I had to mainly learn from my coworker who had been with the company for ten days. We had no supervisor for my first three to four months. When we finally got one, he came from the sales floor and knew nothing about Geek Squad. He hated his job, was unqualified, and was a needless task master who had no interest in helping us. We had two other supervisors after him that were also unqualified and generally unwilling to do the required work.At the point where I had become the senior most agent with the highest knowledge and skill level in most aspects of the department, I was inexplicably fired, rather than getting a raise/promotion.This employer was without a doubt the worst one I've EVER worked for.

Pros

Good discounts, cool coworkers (minus the managers), occasional goodies/lunches/fun events, decent benefits

Cons

Minimal training, schedules change often and come out late, expectations not properly communicated, will fire employees without rhyme nor reason, extremely low pay for what is expected, skill level is not appreciated

Fun and valued work place

The Coventry location was the best location and it was all due to the general manager Sid. He made sure everyone was valued and worked with everyone strengths. Company is a great place to learn.

Busy environment with great discounts.

Great staff and employees. Very low pay and no commission. Expect very high sales numbers. Discounts on certain products are really good with special rotational items.

Great for starting out

Best Buy does a remarkable job of training associates in each department. They tend to lack in the compensation for sales departments. Good for getting into sales/service!

Great people, Great environment with fun and interesting customers

Best Buy was a great place to work. The fellow associates were top-notch. Management always kept the job light-hearted and fun so long as sales throughout the day were good. The culture was fantastic, looked forward to going in daily as the job, fellow associates, and interaction with customers were fresh and fun every day.

Pros

Associates, Management, Flexible Hours

Cons

Would sometimes get those really difficult customers

Amazing workplace with incredibly supportive work culture and the absolutely phenomenal growth opportunities

Best Buy has truly amazing work culture, with personal development in mind at every level. It leads the pack when it comes to inclusion and diversity. The company truly cares about your growth at every step and its support from staff is absolutely phenomenal. Every shift I was on the floor I was learning something new and developing my personal and collaborative skills.

Pros

Workplace benefits, culture

Great place to start your career but dont stay

Great place to start your career but growth opportunities are limited. learn and experiment sales tactics. you can make mistakes since there is no commission no pressure. but dont get comfortable you wont get anywhere since pay is bad

Teaches you how to sell

Good starter job. Really teaches you how to sell and talk to people. Practice in getting confident sellingGood skills to learn when you're young. Also discount is decent. Depending on the people you work with, it can be a fun place to work.Pro: good stepping stone job to land other jobsCon: There is sales pressure to sell not just the product but their services that they offer. Not good if you dont like to sell or talk to people

Pros

Learning how to sell and talk to people

Cons

Sales pressure and you really have to clean a lot to make things spotless

Forced to sell geek squad protection for shifts

Awful place to work and I've worked at 3 different locations within 3 years. I've seen scare associates that if they don't sell gsp they basically don't get any shifts. Most stores are running at 70% part-time/casual workers so you can imagine the stress to sell to get those shifts. Furthermore, this place is known for empty promises.

Pros

Discounts (wholesale price + 5%)

Cons

No stability with shifts, management sits in SDR while you work your butt off, no bonus because it all goes to management

Good starting job

Would recommend as a first time job, good skills an opportunities. Usually a good management structure. Good discounts and a fun culture and vibe to be apart of

Fun place to work

I enjoy my tenure at Best Buy. Sometimes it can be stressful but most of the times it's fun to work.Employee perks are really good (benefits, employee discount).

Fun workplace, bad management

This is a great workplace for students or anyone looking to start in sales. Overall, it is a fun workplace and I had great coworkers, however there is a lot of pressure to reach sales targets. When you make minimum wage and don’t make commission it’s a little unmotivating when it’s only paying the bonuses of management.

Annoying and pressured from management to sell memberships

Working at Best Buy in the beginning was good but later on in every department except appliances it was extremely pressuring and annoying to deal with

A fun place to work

The culture really encourages you to be yourself. There isn’t any commission sales but still have sale goals individually and as a team. Nice discount. Overall a good entry level retail or retail management job.

Pros

Staff events, discount

Cons

Demanding work at times, more complicated transactions

horrible

As long as you sale protection plan and geek squad services, they will keep you but pressure keeps coming from disgusting management. anyone can be in your leadership/management team without knowing what to manage and how to manage.

Pros

employee discount

Cons

horrible management, pay

Clean store and organized

Fun place if you like electronics. Flexible and lots of benefits for employees. Best place for making your resume and lots of things to learn for next step of career

Overall enjoyable for the work you have to do

Great cowerkers , salary is low but its to be expected for the work you do.The supervisors are great and don't make your life difficult. Good work place overall

Middle of the road employer

Typical retail job but with higher than average expectations when it comes to sales numbers, budgets and other targets and metrics. Pretty much all of the detriment of a commissioned job with none of the benefit. You will be underpaid but the job isn't particularly hard and the benefits are good.

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Poor work-life balance, ever increasing high sales goals

The best place I will ever work.

Everyone seems to actually care about you and eachother as workers, and actually enjoy their job and the people that surround them. It is rare for a bad person to be hired at Best Buy, and that is for a good reason. The company is not soley run on the idea of sales and instead the idea of people getting what they need.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Best Buy. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement