Best Buy Canada Employee Reviews

Glass Ceilings and lots of shady stuff.
Geek Squad Agent (Former Employee) –  Ontario12 July 2018
Worked as an Agent for years, lived the culture, felt it was horribly misrepresented by management. Geek Squad Culture is no longer a thing at Best Buy - which is a very, very bad thing. Having literally worked in the US and Canada as Agent, I can say without question that you will have a much better experience with Best Buy in the States.

The people are the only reason I would ever stay working at a Best Buy for any length of time, as management definitely doesn't care about their own company core values (Eg. Unleashing the power of our people, etc.) as they post the five values of renew blue and embrace the only one that is important to this company any more - Increase return on invested capital. While I understand a company needs to keep afloat, but if you give employees full access to a stores P&L don't be surprised if they start questioning some of the budgetary management. There are reports available to all employees, even reports regarding turn-over rates, lots of transparency on their systems but its all monitored. Anything and everything is recorded to be used against you, do not use their mobile apps.

I could go on and on, but honestly - do yourself a favor and treat any opportunity here as a temporary one, as the glass ceiling can be closer than you'd think and your worth more to a better company.
Pros
Salary and Benefits
Cons
Management, deception and revolving door management, no job stability.
Great Company to be apart of
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON7 July 2018
Best Buy is a wonderful company to be apart of, from seasonal to management there is continued opportunity for growth. An amazing culture to be apart of and a very family oriented feel through many of the stores.
Pros
growth, culture, employee benefits
Cons
Long, variable hours
Best buy
Copy Editor & Translator (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC4 July 2018
• Being promoted in my first work from a Market Expert position to a Controller.
• Moving to Canada with my wife and my dog and obtaining the Permanent Resident status
• Being recognized and promoted in my current position as a translation specialist.
• Spending time with my family and seeing my little daughter growing
Inconsistent
District Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 July 2018
While the culture focused on development of strong associates and servant leadership, it would change month by month where results by any means would trump the experience of the customer.
Pros
Exciting Team
Cons
Poor life work balance
Best Place I've EVER worked
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON2 July 2018
Best benefits even if you're part time, great pay, fantastic discounts on everything! Everyone is there for you always, and they have other great benefits like help lines and discounts for therapy or lawyers and so on. Hours are great, not too stressful or difficult, and huge sense of pride in everything I do. Great perks as well like company outings and events. Very customer and employee driven. I would HIGHLY recommend working here if given the chance, it will be the best place you've ever worked by far. There's a reason they're top 100 employers in Canada.
Pros
pay, discounts, benefits, perks, management
Cons
some difficult customers :P
great workplace
Certified Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON29 June 2018
easily the best work environment I've been in. i enjoyed going into work every day. the opportunities for advancement weren't the best but management tries its best to fit your needs otherwise
productive
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON29 June 2018
It is great to deal with new different people every day and learning new skills is amazing. I have gained more confidence through this job and my managers
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Strict environment
Mangers suck
Sales and Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 June 2018
Managers were rude, couldn't make up their mind what they wanted.
But they are all together a good company and have decent drive on want to become some of the best competators!
Pros
2 paid breaks
Cons
Managers
Avis
Caissier (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC25 June 2018
Très agréable, Beaucoup appris dans le lieu de travail
Great place to work as a student
Sales/Customer Service/MCSA/PPA (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 June 2018
Bestbuy Canada has been a amazing experience for me, learning more about the retail work than what i previously knew, this is a company that truly cares about its staff and the benefits are really good and the open communication they keep with employees about company information that would typically be confidential.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
sometimes not enough hours
Culture helps the workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC24 June 2018
The culture is amazing. there are mostly young people here but I believe it helps bring discipline into them. The company teaches you a lot about work ethics and business so I'd say that you learn quite a bit here and there.
Pros
employee price
Cons
be prepared to have customers say no to you a lot haha
Good company bad general manager
Home Solutions Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 June 2018
The company itself is wonderful just watch out for the location you want, as when working under a ex future shop manager well it was not a good situation. He would be the most friendliest manager to your face and yet go to other employees and talk down about employees and when confronted it would be a complete different story. He throws all of his employees under the bus when things go wrong and would hold himself accountable for his own actions/ mistakes. You are supposed to live by the values that are in place there but he does not. The worst is when I was terminated without cause I made a formal complaint to the district manager and to this day have not heard a response which shows that the company does not like to hear about the truth or issues going on they just cover it up with a bandaid and move on, which any complaint should be addressed in a timely manner.
Fun work place
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BC21 June 2018
Lots of room for learning and self growth. Very personable managers if they have the time. Lots of young people both employed and in management. Very fun work place and always striving to be the best. Hardest part of the job is dealing with customer issues.Best part of the job is the people.
Pros
Fun, good people.
Cons
Same as any retail.
it was okay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC21 June 2018
employees werent as welcoming or supportive, on a thin line every shift due to mistakes will be punished. hard to book off work for important days. not as supportive
Toxic culture in IT
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC21 June 2018
Extremely weak management. No managers are accountable and no managers are willing to be accountable.

Everyone pushes tasks to others and point figures to others. There is no team work there, no one is willing to help you to get projects moving forward.

Project managers are not doing what PMs are supposed to do, consultants need to do everything from coordinating teams, scheduling meetings and tracking progress.

There is no collaboration and teamwork culture in this place.There is no support from most managers because most of them are unqualified and they don't know what they are doing, and they are scared to make any decisions.
Pros
Onsite cafeteria
Great Workplace
Management (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 June 2018
This is a very fun place to work, you will meet a lot a great people. The company doesn't pay excellently and a lot of your ability to get promoted is based on being in the correct position at the right time. But overall a good workplace.
Very dynamic environment presenting various challenges and exciting opportunities
Microsoft Senior Expert (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 June 2018
Great place to learn multiple skills that are useful in any work environment like overcoming customer reservations, solving problems, providing quality service, etc.
One of the Best Places to start in sales
Mobile Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON12 June 2018
When i started working at best buy i wanted to feel like i was challenging myself and that exactly what i got. the company's sales tactics and motto's help shape you both as a skilled salesman and customer service rep. id recommend best buy to anyone looking to build experience in sales
Great team energy and a professional work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 June 2018
Would come in greeted by all my co workers with a friendly smile. We would all have the same goal which was to help customers with their purchases which helped keep work professional. Learned valuable sales knowledge and information on computers and tablets.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long hours during holidays
Great work environment, and everyone is very accommodating
Cash & Customer Service representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 June 2018
Everyone is committed to doing their jobs, and management enforces basic rules and decisions. We always help each other when needed, and we stay positive and support our team.
It can be challenging working with the public, and different types of people; the support we have as a team allows us to get through the day.
Pros
I like everyone i work with
Cons
not enough pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Best Buy Canada. Our community is ready to answer.