Berwick Retirement Communities

Berwick Retirement Communities Employee Reviews

Caring people

I found Berwick to have an exceptional culture. The people that work there are genuinely kind, caring and passionate about the work they do and it makes it a pleasure coming into work. Residents and staff are treated with respect and their voices are taken into account when decisions are made even at the highest management level. Berwick doesn’t just offer another job, it offers a community and life long friendships.

Pros

Calm, fun environment, ability to make connections with residents and other staff, meals are amazing

Cons

It pays a little lower than competitors but is worth it for all the positives you gain.

Relaxed and caring workplace

Berwick has an open and welcome environment that feels like an extension of home for both the residents and staff. The people their really care and are invested in the employee experience.

Pros

relaxed environment, ability to create meaningful relationships

Cons

Shift overview, being assigned tasks, serving, and cleaning up. I learned to have a positive understanding 2 generations beyond me.

I was enjoying it for a short amount of time but I did not absolutely love the job. People were kind but I did not feel like I belonged completely, as one should in a workplace.

Pros

Seeing my family member on shift.

Cons

Dreading work daily after a short period of time.

Best Management Team at a Facility

I love Berwick. It's such a great atmosphere with a General Manager who is approachable and caring. Staff stay here for a very, very long time because it's just a great working environments with a solid team.

Pros

Great management, great environment, great team

Cons

Pay lower than some other places. It takes a lot of time to get a permanent line.

A rewarding job and positive environment to work in.

While it is stressful at times, working at Berwick was the most rewarding job I have ever had. It is fast-paced, and there is constantly something to do. Being able to support the residents and create a positive and happy environment for them to live in was a wonderful feeling. The team that I worked with was open and communicative. I felt that we were able to overcome many things by being able to talk openly about issues and obstacles. We all contributed to make it work.

Pros

cheap staff meals, residents, team

Overall great job

I loved the job and people I worked with very fast paced most days not always only downside was very short shifts but if you like that then it’s perfect for you

Chef

Was great place to work and lots of good people. Staff are helpful The residence are so much fun to be around just a all around nice place to work...

Good for the residents not so much for the staff

Berwick began as a very welcoming environment with lots of friendly faces. Although, continuing with the company for various months also comes its difficulties. The managers and kitchen staff presented unacceptable behavior towards its staff and ran multiple of us servers out. If you like a fast paced workplace with loads of attitude and drama, this is the place to work.

Fantastic place to work

I have worked at Berwick on the Park for the past 7 years, and now I am deeply saddened because the company has decided to close the care unit due to staffing issues. I couldn’t have asked for a better place to work. My coworkers and residents are like a second family to me. We all provide exceptional care, and I am proud to be a part of the Berwick team.

During my time at Berwick, I found the training portion of the job very challenging and personally I think they could’ve spent more time training me.

As a server at Berwick Royal Oak in Victoria, BC, I struggled through orientation and training, if I had spent more time being shown how to properly work as a server there, I would’ve enjoyed my time there more.

Jobs at Berwick Retirement Communities

See more jobs

Bad management

Coworkers and servers were great and working with the residents is very rewarding. The work is pretty easy and repetitive to doesn’t take long to learn. Management is bad and unhelpful. If you have a problem, they’ll get defensive and alienate you or cut your hours. Felt so degraded. Put in years with the company all for it to fall apart in the span of a few months because my boss was insecure and thought I was coming for her job.

Pros

Free meals, the residents

Cons

Inconsistent schedule, management

Fun place to work for the right person

They offer a great amount of training hours to support employees as they learn the role. Although the job can be high stress due to first responder duties, the company offers support services to all employees.

Pros

fun events, good pay, beautiful buildings

Cons

some distance between various departments

great place to work!

The most enjoyable part about working there was knowing you provide your patients with the best care possible, everyday- and knowing even on their worst days, maybe you did enough to make those bad days not so bad.

Great learning experience

As a nursing student, I was looking for a job that would allow me to gain experience with older adults. Since working at this long term care facility, I have become very comfortable with speaking to and connecting with them on a greater level.

great kitchen environment

Friendly and flexible staff from top to bottom. Easy to get through the day working with such a good culture in the room. Dishwashers to cooks, everyone gets along and has a great time even in the most stressful moments

Pros

free dinners and fun people

Cons

slightly understaffed in certain positions

Active and Fun

Berwick on the Park is for residents not yet needing full personal care, but enjoyed company during outings and needing errands to be ran. I was lucky that the small group of residents that I worked with loved to visit theatres, out door activities, restaurants. Everyday was a new adventure.

Pros

Fun outings

Cons

Not enough hours

Fun work environment

Very fun work environment with lots of great staff. Lovely residents make coming to work enjoyable. Very flexible with scheduling especially working around school and other jobs. Very lenient with time off.

Fun place to work, friendly staff, management and residents

Took orders/ ran food out for residents during meal times. Cleaned and reset tables afterwards. Some bussing, hosting. Management was great, super nice. Co-workers were easy to work with, super friendly.

Fun place to work

I learned how to communicate effectively, I improved my time management skills and formed strong relationships with the residents.

Great environment

People living there were so good and friendly. Staff were very helpful and friendly.

Pros

first class building

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Berwick Retirement Communities. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7Job security/advancement