Berwick Retirement Communities

Berwick Retirement Communities Employee Reviews

Canada18 reviews
I love Berwick. It's such a great atmosphere with a General Manager who is approachable and caring. Staff stay here for a very, very long time because it's just a great working environments with a solid team.
Pros
Great management, great environment, great team
Cons
Pay lower than some other places. It takes a lot of time to get a permanent line.
While it is stressful at times, working at Berwick was the most rewarding job I have ever had. It is fast-paced, and there is constantly something to do. Being able to support the residents and create a positive and happy environment for them to live in was a wonderful feeling.
The team that I worked with was open and communicative. I felt that we were able to overcome many things by being able to talk openly about issues and obstacles. We all contributed to make it work.
Pros
cheap staff meals, residents, team
I loved the job and people I worked with very fast paced most days not always only downside was very short shifts but if you like that then it’s perfect for you
Was great place to work and lots of good people. Staff are helpful
The residence are so much fun to be around just a all around nice place to work...
Berwick began as a very welcoming environment with lots of friendly faces. Although, continuing with the company for various months also comes its difficulties. The managers and kitchen staff presented unacceptable behavior towards its staff and ran multiple of us servers out. If you like a fast paced workplace with loads of attitude and drama, this is the place to work.
I have worked at Berwick on the Park for the past 7 years, and now I am deeply saddened because the company has decided to close the care unit due to staffing issues. I couldn’t have asked for a better place to work. My coworkers and residents are like a second family to me. We all provide exceptional care, and I am proud to be a part of the Berwick team.
As a server at Berwick Royal Oak in Victoria, BC, I struggled through orientation and training, if I had spent more time being shown how to properly work as a server there, I would’ve enjoyed my time there more.
Coworkers and servers were great and working with the residents is very rewarding. The work is pretty easy and repetitive to doesn’t take long to learn. Management is bad and unhelpful. If you have a problem, they’ll get defensive and alienate you or cut your hours. Felt so degraded. Put in years with the company all for it to fall apart in the span of a few months because my boss was insecure and thought I was coming for her job.
Pros
Free meals, the residents
Cons
Inconsistent schedule, management
They offer a great amount of training hours to support employees as they learn the role.

Although the job can be high stress due to first responder duties, the company offers support services to all employees.
Pros
fun events, good pay, beautiful buildings
Cons
some distance between various departments
The most enjoyable part about working there was knowing you provide your patients with the best care possible, everyday- and knowing even on their worst days, maybe you did enough to make those bad days not so bad.
As a nursing student, I was looking for a job that would allow me to gain experience with older adults. Since working at this long term care facility, I have become very comfortable with speaking to and connecting with them on a greater level.
Friendly and flexible staff from top to bottom. Easy to get through the day working with such a good culture in the room. Dishwashers to cooks, everyone gets along and has a great time even in the most stressful moments
Pros
free dinners and fun people
Cons
slightly understaffed in certain positions
Berwick on the Park is for residents not yet needing full personal care, but enjoyed company during outings and needing errands to be ran. I was lucky that the small group of residents that I worked with loved to visit theatres, out door activities, restaurants. Everyday was a new adventure.
Pros
Fun outings
Cons
Not enough hours
Very fun work environment with lots of great staff. Lovely residents make coming to work enjoyable. Very flexible with scheduling especially working around school and other jobs. Very lenient with time off.
Took orders/ ran food out for residents during meal times. Cleaned and reset tables afterwards. Some bussing, hosting. Management was great, super nice. Co-workers were easy to work with, super friendly.
I learned how to communicate effectively, I improved my time management skills and formed strong relationships with the residents.
People living there were so good and friendly. Staff were very helpful and friendly.
Pros
first class building