Bento Sushi Employee Reviews for Sushi Chef

Toxic racist environment
Sushi Chef (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 April 2019
The job itself was alright. Typical western style sushi. Make mostly rolls, put them in hard plastic boxes, serve rice/noodles for linch, prepare ingredients for next day.

Problem is with the staff. Racist team leaders who show clear favouritism to their own background. Mine basically undercut my hours worked, aka stole my pay. And if you prove yourself competent, they will cause drama behind your back and force you to resign because they are afraid to lose their job.

I am actually Japanese and know sushi more than they ever will, but the racist team leader still created all that drama and basically convinced the management to make me quit.

Bottom line, don't even bother with this place.
Pros
It's a paying job
Cons
Racist team leaders, will get rid of you if you're good at the job
Nice working environment
Sushi Chef/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New Glasgow, NS23 February 2018
Most of the locations have very nice working environment. Most of them are grocery stores or malls.
The work load is pretty heavy but manageable. Delivery work is a mass.
made my first job great
Sushi Chef / Cashier / Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 May 2017
Bento sushi is my first job, I learned how to work hard and I became a good member on my starting months and became a good leader on my years of working with them.
Pros
50% discount, health benefit
Cons
not enough employees for multiple stores
Amazing people
Sushi Chef (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON23 January 2017
I love working for Bento Sushi. It's essentially part time, so it comes with no benefits BUT the pay is good. The hours revolve around how long it takes you to do your work, so you can make the day as short or as long as you need to. Great locations, amazing supervisor, fun people to work with.

I find it cool that I can tell people that I roll and package sushi for a living, even though it gets a little repetitive, it's still fun!

I love my supervisor, she is super open, listens to me and is very understanding.

Could use a few more hours, but again it's a part time job. Hours are split between all the employees, so it's not something you can live off of alone. Hours are super easy to have a flexible second job with though!
Pros
New skills, flexible hours, above minimum wage
Cons
some days are too short, cheques as opposed to direct deposit
Horrible Management
Sushi Chef Employee (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 December 2016
Manager doesn't train you but passes you to her employees (who uses shortcuts to cook). She's very rude and has poor leadership skills. Not recommended for students that aren't trying to become a chef.
Pros
Good coworkers, reasonable mininum wage salary, not too busy
Cons
overall bad management
fast-paced work environment
Sushi Chef (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON19 June 2016
As a sushi chef, normally I worked alone in the counter. It is a muti-task job which is really can testify you. At the meantime, you need to finish the daily production task and complete the paperwork. The most important thing is to sell the sushi out. From this job, if you follow every procedure, you would be able to be a good chef and sales.
Pros
flexible work time due to business