Bento Sushi

Bento Sushi Employee Reviews

Canada26 reviews
fun
I have learned a lot from it. We had a great time. It's really fun to work here but the working time is too early and I fell sleepy sometimes. The workers are fun.
Pros
lunch
Cons
time-too early
Poor and rude management team,the indian guy from penticton and the vietnamese guy they think they know everything! They are so rude and unprofessional wish they can terminated as soon as possible.
very stressful work place!!!
very stressful, fast paced,uncomfortable work place and reduced payment by weekday. The worst Company!!!
very very very very very very bad bad bad bad bad bad bad company!!!

bad character supervisor!!!
productive
I have learned a lot from it. The company always gives us more training to creat festival style. We had a great time with my co-workers. It's really fun to work here.
Work by yourself and relaxing.
Each bento station allows for only one employee to work. This can get challenging if things get busy. Although, for the majority of the time it is pretty relaxing with loose hours.
Co-workers not willing to work and people not showing up. Lack of direction from management.
Would definitely not recommend working there,there's no balance and you have to make up the difference for other workers by doing multiple overnights. Extended hours.
Racist culture, don't even apply if not asian.
I've seen qualified applicants with real passion for the food turned down in favor of completely unskilled workers just because they were family or spoke the same language. Happens all the time. There is racism and xenophobia in management whether youre asian or not. Ive never seen a non asian get hired, and if you arent from the same region or speaking the same language as your "superiors" you can expect to be bullied and pressured in to quitting.
Quality Manager in Winnipeg is Power Tripping
The job is easy but at the same time tiring. If you work at their commissary, you will find the process repetitive but chaotic. Thanks to their Quality Control Manager who was raised from Burma. I am not sure what her qualifications are but she is racist, ego maniac, as if I have applied as a dishwasher. She will find fault at you 1st day, 1st day!!! She is so proud of how she cleans the dishes like big time!! I think she has a degree in dish washing!

I believe she was raised from down below like hundred feet under. Some of the Burmese staff who follows her got the same attitude. They have the audacity to talk down on you but they don't even speak the English language. Would you imagine, you are trying to understand what they are talking about so you can contribute right away, in their minds, you are stupid for not getting what they are trying to tell you and at the end of the day they will decide that you can't catch up. In short, you need to learn that five is pronounced as

fa (literally) and that red is pronounced as re and that green is pronounced as gri (that's it, no n) (PS I wanted to stay on this job so i'm keeping my cool).

The pay is not high. I took the job because I thought they are fellow Asians, I will feel comfortable around them. Big mistake!

If you want to succeed here, you need to speak Karen, their native tongue or else you will be mistreated.

Don't tell me I didn't warn you.

For the Quality Control Manager, are you not getting sick of your own air? You breath arrogance!!!!!!. NO wonder the supervisor said you are mean!
Pros
flexible Plant Manager she is nice
Cons
watch out for the Burmese Quality Control Manager.
Good place to have experience about Japanese sushi
when I came in canada at the first time, I worked in Bento sushi.
I learned lots of sushi and maki.

It was so good.

But, they didn't support me well.
Cons
hard working
Toxic racist environment
The job itself was alright. Typical western style sushi. Make mostly rolls, put them in hard plastic boxes, serve rice/noodles for linch, prepare ingredients for next day.

Problem is with the staff. Racist team leaders who show clear favouritism to their own background. Mine basically undercut my hours worked, aka stole my pay. And if you prove yourself competent, they will cause drama behind your back and force you to resign because they are afraid to lose their job.

I am actually Japanese and know sushi more than they ever will, but the racist team leader still created all that drama and basically convinced the management to make me quit.

Bottom line, don't even bother with this place.
Pros
It's a paying job
Cons
Racist team leaders, will get rid of you if you're good at the job
Productive and teaches many new skills in restaurant industry
The skills i learned were very intense. Definitely learned behaviours & techniques that could benefit someone having me as an employee.
The people work hard and efficient, which always gives you a self check to keep your work ethic in line.
Pros
Learn new skills all the time
Cons
Not enough hours or too many hours. No balance
Working in a big market
Nice working place, I learned how to manage times during working time.
The hardest part of my job is cleaning, we have to brush the gap of the tile floor everyday.

The most enjoyable part is making excellent sushi for all customers.
travail agréable
délaissé à nous même, trop loin du directeur et les responsables de magasin
Nice working environment
Most of the locations have very nice working environment. Most of them are grocery stores or malls.
The work load is pretty heavy but manageable. Delivery work is a mass.
travail lourd
J'ai appris à travailler efficacement et activement
made my first job great
Bento sushi is my first job, I learned how to work hard and I became a good member on my starting months and became a good leader on my years of working with them.
Pros
50% discount, health benefit
Cons
not enough employees for multiple stores
Good work.
Learned to make sushi and prepare ingredients. The process was hard but ingenious. The skills learned were making sushi, preparation, and display of goods.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long Hours
Not a great place to work.
Wasn't great.
Definite language barrier with no desire from management to take the time to attempt to communicate. Quit due to the obvious racial tension from management.
It was a good experience
workplace culture was very good .Finance department was great ...most of them were very friendly and helpful but the worse thing was that they prefer to use free co-op students instead on investing on permanent employee.
Pros
very good environment
Cons
not stable at all
Sometimes visited in the luch room
Bento Sushi was just a way to get some money coming in. The culture was non existent, but the other employees were nice toward me. My manager was sometimes easily aggravated, but other than that I did well there and met the given trajectory.
Pros
Short houre
Cons
Too much time on my hands.
Amazing people
I love working for Bento Sushi. It's essentially part time, so it comes with no benefits BUT the pay is good. The hours revolve around how long it takes you to do your work, so you can make the day as short or as long as you need to. Great locations, amazing supervisor, fun people to work with.

I find it cool that I can tell people that I roll and package sushi for a living, even though it gets a little repetitive, it's still fun!

I love my supervisor, she is super open, listens to me and is very understanding.

Could use a few more hours, but again it's a part time job. Hours are split between all the employees, so it's not something you can live off of alone. Hours are super easy to have a flexible second job with though!
Pros
New skills, flexible hours, above minimum wage
Cons
some days are too short, cheques as opposed to direct deposit