Bent Arrow Traditional Healing Society

Bent Arrow Traditional Healing Society Employee Reviews

Canada35 reviews
Its alright
It provides fair wages however my supervisor was a nightmare and many of the staff milked the organization and didn't do any work, this lead other workers like myself to rack up many, many many hours of overtime. The overtime was nice in the pocket but it lead to fast burnout, job dissatisfaction and high turnover which is terrible for the clients and their need for consistency. Management at the time I worked there was also a joke. They didn't lift a finger to help their workers even when they had the power and background information to have had toxic staff fired so the good, hardworking staff didn't get screwed.
My manager was great!
Bent Arrow was one of the best places I have ever worked for. Unfortunately, with government cutbacks, I wasn't able to continue with the program that I had fallen in love with. Maybe one day I will be back in a different capacity.
Toxic environment
There is a reason you will see BA always hiring - the turnover is very high here. People are traumatized by their toxic work environment, huge caseload, lateral violence, and there is not much in terms of support. So many staff have health problems and severe burnout because of stress and fatigue. There's not nearly enough time off, people are afraid of managers, gossip is everywhere, job security doesn't exist.

The system is very broken and needs structural change. Instead of supporting workers, management blames workers for burnout.
Love the family feeling of the organization
great place to work and very helpful staff. Great place to start and learn about the aboriginal culture with lots of hands on experience. They are a fabulous organization and very welcoming to everyone.
its good until its terrible
i dont get why i have to do this stupid thing. there is not much that i can say except make sure your buttocks is completely covered because they will throw you under the bus for absolutely ANYTHING
Great people to work with and awesome benefits.
When I was working as a Family Support Worker then a Family Wellness worker, I loved my job. Things got to be very stressful with losing my dad and had no Lodgekeepers to help with visits for my families, I had too much on my plate.
I took a few months then returned but with restrictions. The receptionist position was open and I have been trying to get back into the Human Services field for the past while with no success.
New management (cc) very very toxic!!!!!!
I am one of the many staff that have been dismissed "without cause" from Bent Arrow. Because I was fired without cause, I was not given the respect of being offered an exit interview. Strategic on their part? Of course. Why would they want to hear what I have to say? I was FIRED, so what I had to say was irrelevant right? Why? Because they fear the TRUTH! I have seen it first hand, management will read the reviews and often when they come across a negative review, they simply blame it on a "Scorned ex staff"..... Call me a "Scorned Ex Staff" if you must but just know that I have chosen to voice my thoughts on here as like I said previously, I was not offered an exit interview in private and I know that what I have to say would have been acknowledged as valuable and necessary for progress in moving to a better place within the Kahkiyaw program. Not everything you hear first hand can be trusted. I am a strong believer that it's important to hear both sides of the story before making such an erratic decision that impacts the lives of so MANY people in such a negative way.

It is important to acknowledge that Management spends way too much time seeking power and control, she fails to see the affects this has on the most important people of all, the families!!

Management controls with putting fear into their staff. She micromanages every aspect within the program and has no shame in taking the power away from front line staff leaving them feeling vulnerable and incapable of fulfilling their job requirements. Instead of building staff up, management tears them down to the point
 - more...
Fun and a real family like environment
I loved working at Bent Arrow! I looked forward to going to work and I had my weekends off. Lots of extra training and many events at the building. Community events were great. Lots of support from my supervisors!
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Bent Arrow Traditional Healing Society?
Poor management but good cause
The company had good culture and management before one of the founders passed. Unfortunately management went downhill quickly.
No cause terminations and poor organization became the norm and from what I understand is still rampant there. Positions granted through nepotism rather than ability and anyone who speaks out gets the boot.
Pros
Nothing worth mentioning
Cons
Too many to list.
when i worked there my father was ceo and creator of this society
was a great place to work im not sure how it is now if you like the first nation religion and dealing with natives and a problem solver and just overall a great human being who likes to help people than this is a good company to work for i do not approve of the management who runs bent arrow today
Culture became more important than helping families
The agency is more focused on dancing around and broadcasting their teachings, staff also get written up for not taking part of the cultural events even if you have tons of work. They are more focused on culture than helping families and children.I have yet to see any successful files of children returning back to parents. I have no clue what the agenda of this agency is, but my experience is so far terrible, Thank God I found another job. Also no direction or proper training for a new role, as a new worker dealing with children and families..the supervisors were inexperienced and ignorant. They get annoyed for asking questions when their job is to help staff, jeeez they should stop hiring cousins and family members who are illiterate and unprofessional to manage people who actually went to school for their career. It’s always the overweight obese supervisors who give people hard time, perhaps they should replace some of the countless of traditional stuff with healthy eating and body and involve management to take part of it…that way these supervisors and managers wouldn’t be bitter and angry at the world instead will work on their issues and insecurities. To give this agency a rating, I had no choice but to give it 1, 0 wasn't available
Pros
great co-wrokers who are also in fear of losing their job.
Cons
lack of training and cattiness from superviors
Humiliation and bullying
Supervisors and management have 0 people skills, if you want to be humiliated and bullied every day this is the environment to work. Managers refuse to allow workers to have a voice, forget being written up or verbal warning if they personally do not like you..you are gone! this agency doesn't follow the book! The turnover is extremely high ( no wonder)

Doesn't matter if you have masters or a degree someone with a high education will supervise you, if you dare question them, you are threat and they will humiliate you till the end. Majority of these reviews, despite of being harsh...is telling the truth. These are people who witnessed and faced it, and unfortunately just like someone mentioned previously, for a marginalized group of people who have been brutally oppressed, now they are oppressing workers.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Bullying/management/supervisors
Very unhealthy and toxic
Everyday is like walking into the unknown, not knowing if your next to be gone. If supervisors don't like you, and the dislike is personal you best bet your job is on the line or your randomly called to the office for dismissal “without a cause”. This is the most uncivilized agency, for people who were systemically oppressed they target the non native/aboriginals workers. Some of these supervisors are very miserable and depressed, in return make the environment very uncomfortable and toxic. Basically, it’s people who have elementary education that got power.
Pros
frontline workers and helping families
Cons
supervisors and managers as well as their puppets
Well Balanced, laid back environment
Good management, although not always punctual.
Lots of diverse learning opportunities and training.

Enjoy the workplace culture and flexibility surrounding the job.
too dangerous
dangerous, long hours, no job security, home visits were in scary unsafe situations, had to call police on clients, promises of advancement that never happens, dangling a carrot in front of a persons nose is not professional
Pros
working with natives
Cons
Dangerous situations constantly, No danger pay
Good
A good place to work. Community. Many opportunities in different departments. Positive people. Focused on the families that are being served. Strong and positive leaders.
Pros
Work Family
Cons
gas prices
Great members of staff
The team at Bent Arrow is very supportive and fun loving. The directors are people persons who value relationships and embrace multiculturalism. The time for work is also very flexible.
Pros
Cultural sensitivity and awareness
Cons
management staff dynamic is sometimes toxic
Supervisors need Management skills
Management really needs to learn some people skills along with actually being able to 'supervise' and provide constructive support vs criticism. One month, you're a valuable team member and the next, you're let go within your probationary period with no explanation. Lateral violence, gossiping, no cohesiveness at all. No direction at all for a new role.
Pros
a few good ppl actually care and good hours
Cons
poor management, no supervision experience yet a supervisor
Great Salary
No guarantee of keeping your job no job security. Management is not supportive. Turnover is high. The weekly hours are great and the amount of programs offered.
exceptional work place
working with aboriginal employees created a healthy environment to embrace your culture without any worries of being harassed or made fun of. Excellent workplace.
Pros
great CEO
Cons
salary needs slight improvement
Good Place to Work
-Develop standard policies and procedures, have greater transparency, and ask for more feedback from workers. This company has a very high turn over. There is a lot of change and they are trying for the positive but the disconnect between management and staff is not good. Poor Communication between workers and supervisors.
Pros
-Flexible Schedule -Work from home
Cons
-Health Benefits aren't great.Shared work space, the program is growing so there are a lot of changes are growth
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bent Arrow Traditional Healing Society. Our community is ready to answer.
2.4