Bent Arrow Traditional Healing Society Employee Reviews

Good
Family Wellness Worker / Lodge Keeper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 May 2018
A good place to work. Community. Many opportunities in different departments. Positive people. Focused on the families that are being served. Strong and positive leaders.
Pros
Work Family
Cons
gas prices
Great members of staff
Family Wellness Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 January 2018
The team at Bent Arrow is very supportive and fun loving. The directors are people persons who value relationships and embrace multiculturalism. The time for work is also very flexible.
Pros
Cultural sensitivity and awareness
Cons
management staff dynamic is sometimes toxic
Supervisors need Management skills
FWW (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2017
Management really needs to learn some people skills along with actually being able to 'supervise' and provide constructive support vs criticism. One month, you're a valuable team member and the next, you're let go within your probationary period with no explanation. Lateral violence, gossiping, no cohesiveness at all. No direction at all for a new role.
Pros
a few good ppl actually care and good hours
Cons
poor management, no supervision experience yet a supervisor
Great Salary
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 November 2017
No guarantee of keeping your job no job security. Management is not supportive. Turnover is high. The weekly hours are great and the amount of programs offered.
Good Place to Work
Family Wellness Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 March 2017
-Develop standard policies and procedures, have greater transparency, and ask for more feedback from workers. This company has a very high turn over. There is a lot of change and they are trying for the positive but the disconnect between management and staff is not good. Poor Communication between workers and supervisors.
Pros
-Flexible Schedule -Work from home
Cons
-Health Benefits aren't great.Shared work space, the program is growing so there are a lot of changes are growth
Volunteer gift warpping
Volunteer Work- (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 February 2017
It was a very rewarding experience for me this christmas; having volunteered sorting and gift wrapping presents for the little ones for christmas 2016.
Poor Managers ruined Good Work
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 February 2017
If you enjoy culture, there's plenty of learning and respect given to this area. You can really help others in need.
Work days had you thrown in there with little outline of what you are supposed to do and lots of complaining when you don't get it right. There are program guidelines staff need to adhere to, then agency lunches, ceremonies and events you must attend and work.
If you are not related to anyone or party with staff, you are treated as an outsider and not given much respect. Managers are gossipy and blame things on their staff regularly, write them up and if you don't quit, they keep writing you up.
The building is old and and the management style, older. No wonder turnover is high.
Pros
decent wage
Cons
incompetent managers
Hard Job
Family Wellness Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 January 2017
This company has a very high turn over. There is a lot of change and they are trying for the positive but the disconnect between management and staff is not good. However, salary and benefits are very good.
Pros
salary
Youth Worker
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 July 2016
awesome youth work. no room for advancement. expeienced bullying from management. very gossipie and jealousy within the worl place but all depends on the program. coworkers are awesome all the front line staff are wicked to work with. the executive director and management dont allow workers to excel or become more.
Pros
free lunches smoke breaks
Cons
management
Comfortable and welcoming environment. Team experience was well-balanced. Work load and support from management was flexible.
Family Wellness Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 June 2016
Typical day at work began with a team meeting and debrief of previous with smudging and prayer. I learned that family support is priority and that many families requiring intervention lack resources to assist with meeting their needs. Advocating for families to help agency understand and develop services around the families needs.
My co-workers were very well educated and dedicated to helping families overcome adversaries.
The hardest part of the job was being on call.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to practice and feel supported in my spirituality and to be able to help Aboriginal families understand the importance of culture while advocating for their rights.
Very unprofessional and too much gossip
Journey to Success (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 May 2016
Very unprofessional. Too much gossip going on with staff. If you don't party with staff your excluded from conversations. They claim to help people with an employment program and the manager sits in her office all day not even acknowledging her staff unless it's to gossip about other staff. Team leader is a joke and fires people for no legitimate reason, now I know why of the high turnover rate. The lady that helps with resumes is so unprofessional with young men I wonder how she even stays employed there. The facilitator looks like hes under the influence half the time and just rolled out of bed. Overall this organization is a joke and should be warned to all people coming in. The pros is the pay is ok for the most part.
Pros
Ok pay
Cons
Too much internal gossip. High turnover rate
Program experience.
Applicant. (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 March 2016
As a.new applicant to the employment program I was very impressed with their client walk in service. I met with one of the employment Counsellor who gave me great advice on how to improve my resume and allowed access to their computers.
Pros
Centrally located.
Cons
Building may need upgrading.
Excellent Agency!
Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 November 2015
Bent Arrow is a great agency to gain hands-on experience dealing with high-risk youth. A typical day would sometimes include working alone. It is my responsibility to always be interacting with youth and building a healthy report. Throughout the shift, there would be paper work to do. My co-workers are an excellent team with diverse backgrounds. To me the hardest part of the job is giving consequences to youth for negative behaviour (however this does not stop me). The most enjoyable part is definitely having the privilege to work with these youth by building healthy reports, and guiding them to become successful adults in the future!
Good Pay- Bad Everything Else
Family Wellness Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton25 August 2015
I worked within the Kahkiyaw program as a Family Wellness Worker. The pay for the job is good you get on-call pay and auto allowance ontop of your wage. The other benefits for the job are lack luster. The health benefits aren't great and there is no RRSP program. The work is challenging but can be very rewarding. The most challenging part of the job was not having a supportive supervisor. I struggled for many months not getting the help and support I needed to do my job. I finally went to management and they said they would take care of it for me and address the issues. A few weeks later there was an incident with my supervisor, that was supervisor misconduct and had nothing to do with me. Management and HR were involved. The supervisor continued to blame me for their actions. Management tried to deal with the situation accordingly. It was offered that I could transfer teams. After I did the supervisor still harassed me and had no understanding into the stress and burnout I was facing because of their actions. In my final meeting with this supervisor it was suggested that I work of self-awareness and recognizing burnout. The supervisor then gave me an evaluation that only documented my alleged "wrong doings" even though management told me I did nothing wrong. Minimal was done to help me through the situation that happened in terms of emotionally or psychologically. Everything was very rushed and quickly swept under the rug. Ultimately it was because of this situation that I left. It was too stressful. The organization has a lot of potential but they need to get control of their  more... management and guidelines/procedures for doing things. The organization doesn't seem to overly concerned with losing staff or the effects that supervisors are having on their staff.  less
Pros
Good Pay, Flexible Hours, Working from Home, They bring in lots of Training for Staff
Cons
Management, Lack of Guidelines, Lack of Clear Communication, Not a big enough emphasis on Self-Care, Some Supervisors are out of touch with front line workers
Horrible place to work
Previous healthy families staff (Former Employee) –  Edmonton11 August 2015
I use to work in this program and the manager is not nice! It's her way or no way! The team members were ok but way too much mean vicious gossip. Don't worry about education or experience as none is needed in this organization. If your family or a friend or simply a warm body chances are you will get hired. This place treats their employees horribly, they will not hesitate to fire you for any reason, including personal. And if they can't find a reason to fire you they will make your life miserable. No consistency and expectations are different for everyone and at anytime.
The overall environment is a health hazard! The paint on the walls is chipping off, the building is freezing in the winter and unbearably hot in the summer! Seriously not sure how this building passed regulations!
Pros
Take as many smoke breaks as you want
Cons
Managment, staff
overall great place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 July 2015
I really enjoy working here, at this point I don't see room for growth. Typical day would be checking me emails and responding first thing in the morning. I also may have some contact with clients and landlord regarding our participants housing. I do filing and majority of data input. The hardest part of leaving would be the relationship I have built with my co workers, however as I continue in my position I' am finding it difficult to house the homeless community. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing clients success.
Pros
The hours are great, also one hour lunch
Cons
Feeling helpless to the homelss community
Horrible management and zero training
Lodge Keeper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 May 2015
Was expected to know everything the first day
Sent me on a visit by myself with no training or guidance in what to do
Very unprofessional
Made me work 12 hours on my 3rd day
When I asked for help they rolled their eyes as if I was annoying them by asking for guidance
Disrespectful people in my eyes
Fired be because they thought I was "Immature and irresponsible" when really they were the unprofessional people sending brand new people on visits on their first day with absolutely no training, could have been dangerous for the children involved because I was not trained properly or given ANY guidance in what to do and what not to do
Pros
the pay
Cons
everything you can think of
Supportive family oriented work environment
Housing Outreach Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 April 2015
Bent Arrow Traditional Healing Society is a cultural based agency that opens the doors to everyone and anyone from any background. Supports are provided for individuals, couples and families of all ages with numerous programs within the agency. The programs work together to support clients to move forward in their journey to healthier lifestyle and improving quality of life.
It was a great experience
Employment Development Coordinator/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 October 2014
Loved the people I worked with and always loved helping our youth.
Pros
free birthday cakes and lunches
Cons
sometimes you just couldnt help everyone