Benevity

Benevity Employee Reviews

Canada7 reviews
pets allowed in the office. alcohol in the fridge. positive culture. some travel depending on role. management needs some work. not everyone is fit to lead
Life at Benevity can be many things to many people. There are often times of intense busyness and pivoting. There are also amazing moments of collaboration, a sense of pride in people and our product, and human connectedness and understanding. There are days where I feel like I have so many things to do at once, but I am extremely supported by my leader and team and know that what I am doing matters and am excited to do it! It is rare that a company can make someone feel so appreciated and taken care of. I know I am very lucky, and am very grateful, as I know that is not the case for a lot of people out there.

Yes there are struggles and stress. There is also passion and excitement and fulfilment.
Spent years at Benevity, no planned progression, just clicky and friends of managers getting promoted. Middle management doesn't know what they are doing. If you like the superficial perks it's great (dogs, beer, etc). Wages are low compared to market and actual job role. Work/life balance is mostly respected and pretty flexible but does thrive on overtime.
pros:
- it's a certified B-corp, so it looks good on your resume, a good place for new grad or an intern

- this company does a real good job at marketing. If you are a white, young, good looking person, and/or a instagram influencer- this is your place.

- if you are lucky to be at the right teams, there are some great people here wanting to change the world

- dogs in the office, beer...etc

- if you have no skillsets- it is ok, you can survive 100% as long as you are a friend or family with the management level staffs

cons:

- overly trying-to-be-cool culture

- for a tech company- this is one of the least techy places ever you can find

- if you are not a white, young, good looking person...I wish you luck here!

- many lead/management level staffs have no skill or abilitiy to lead

- low pay for high qualified staffs- you get pay the same as people with no skills, or lower than them since the management has absolute no ability to evaluate your skills
Spending my days with a great team and part of a new kind of company that has a social mission as part of how we do things? Yes please!
Pros
Lawn bowling, Wellness Wednesdays, volunteering, dogs in the office
Cons
New people all the time, can get crazy
It's great to work at a company where the mission (and reality!) is to help causes get more $ to do what they do best - and work with people who are all passionate about that mission. Benevity is growing fast (very fast) so people who are comfortable with rapid change will be happy at Benevity. We've grown fast (90-250 people in a year!) so there are lots of opportunities to learn and grow, and also times where the company is catching up with processes... Best part? The people, the interesting work, the clients, the causes. Challenges? Rapid growth, so new co-workers, lots of information, communication.
Pros
Great space, smart people, interesting work, mission to do good
Cons
Growing fast, and all that comes with that
There are no processes or standards in place, no consistency... It is a free for all for people to do what they want. People are only promoted because they know someone. Most managers are mid-20s with no education, experience, knowledge, or skills. The company as a whole is fraught with bad decision making, poor assumptions, and virtually zero concept of business fundamentals. There is no development or mentorship of employees. It is like a bunch of whiny toddlers running around trying to get their way. Most people don't like to collaborate, they are all about me-me-me so they can try and look good.
Pros
Mostly great people to work with
Cons
Inadequate and inexperienced leadership at all levels