Bench Accounting

Bench Accounting Employee Reviews

Canada33 reviews

Solid place to start your career

Great people, understanding management, very open. Overall a good place to work. Management advancement opportunities are available for those willing to go above and beyond. I was never pressured to work overtime, stay late, work weekends, etc. Holidays were flexible. Good place to start your career, and opportunities to build it are available, however many see Bench as a good straight out of Uni spot to give them some time to breathe and figure out what they want to do long term. Lots of encouragement to explore career opportunities internally and externally. Work can be tedious depending on your role, but the pace is never so break neck that it becomes exhausting. Though most employees interact with clients, management is great about ensuring they do not have bad experiences, abusive client behavior is not tolerated, which is really nice to see.

Pros

Great people (both staff and management), work from home, flexible hour.

Cons

Tedious work occasionally, client interaction.

High performing and supportive sales team built with WONDERFUL people

If you are somebody that values feedback and is willing to buy into being transparent about what you need in order to implement it, you'll love working at Bench. For the first time in my life, I have a get-out-what-you-put-in experience at work that doesn't require disgusting amounts of overtime! My manager(s) are equally as supportive in good months as they are in challenging ones. No company is perfect, but the improvement in management accountability over the last year has been huge - this company REALLY cares about its people! The sales team specifically is high-performing and morphing into a diverse group. Month by month I'm enjoying things even more. Incredible place to start your sales career or land in a space where your work/life boundaries are respected and who you are as a person matters. Not the right place for you if you don't value DEI initiatives.

Pros

The people, the supportive culture, remote flexibility

Cons

Nowhere to hide if you can't hit your numbers

Fully remote, collaborative, and fun place to work. Starting salaries are fairly low, but variable pay averages to make it worth it. SUPER FLEXIBLE.

I absolutely love working at Bench. They really encourage you to take time off and are extremely giving of it (paid time off). Easy to work while on vacation as well. The managers and coworkers are FANTASTIC. They hire really great people here and are very clear that we're all working towards a great purpose.

Pros

Flexibility, full remote, great team

Cons

Starting salaries often low

Amazing management & culture

I really love the culture and managers at Bench. I've had a great experience while working here. There's room for growth, but it depends on the team you're in. I love my team and have only great things to say about the company, CEO and those I worked with. However, a leaving point for me is the salary. You are not paid enough for the amount of work you do, and overtime is almost unavoidable considering the workload.

Pros

Relaxed environment, bonus pay is great, kind managers, great benefits

Cons

Work-life balance is hard, salary

Relaxed, open and collaborative work place

A typical day : log in to computer and plan your day. Answer any messages from clients. Then work on your bookkeeping goals for the day. There may be a few meetings here and there but it depends on your role and how long you have been in the company. If you need support on a specific client situation, there are designated " office hours" to get help and support. Hardest part: 1.time management and planning your workflow- which is a basic skill so nothing to worry about there 2. Bookkeeping is repetitive so its not for everyone. Enjoyable part - you will learn about accounting and meet all kinds of business clients with cool and amazing stories. Generally, a great company to work for. Its a start up so sometimes lots or too little change is happening. If you're looking for a company that doesn't change much , Bench may not be a good fit.

Pros

Career growth opportunities, team work and individual projects are encouraged, teamleads are always open to support your career goals and give constructive feedback

Cons

Tax season is busy but if you prep and use all resources available, you will be fine

A Great Opportunity for Experience

You have got to hand it to Bench for giving so many recent university grads a foot in the door. I think most employees use it just as this, but if you stick around and become great in your role, you will be rewarded.

Pros

benefits, flexible hours, no weekends, fun people

Cons

long hours during peak season, expectations keep rising, can be stressful

Excellent workplace to get started in bookkeeping!

The culture of the company is very unique and everybody is very nice and supportive. They did a great job setting everything up for working remotely and overall my experience with Bench was very pleasant and interesting.

Pros

The team

Cons

Not much IMO

Love working at Bench

I'd like to thank 23 year old me for joining Bench, because two years down the line I can't be more grateful for the work culture that I've found at Bench. Not sure how common such a culture is, but people are open to feedback and care about how we are performing individually but also on teams. You get to not only learn how to do your job, you get to ask bigger questions about yourself, your purpose and impact. I also found that I can openly express how I feel about all aspects of my job, and I am not judged for it. Compensation is truly not the only thing one should be looking at when accepting a job offer, and Bench proves that. This does not mean Bench doesn't care about our compensation. I've seen some pretty radical changes made to compensation when brought to management's attention. Thankful for it!

Brilliant people driving a high paced collaborative culture of acceptance and inclusion

Companies talk the talk but it is rare to find a company that walks the walk. They genuinely care about each other, build an honest and inclusive culture and are always looking for and encouraging the success of staff and ideas. Creating an exceptional and impactful experience to better the lives of our clients is what drives everything Bench does.It is very fast paced and you should expect that if you start something you will be expected to finish it. They will hold you accountable, give you honest feedback and look for opportunities to push you to and beyond what you think you are capable of. Mental health is #1 and their corporate culture guide is truthful and inspiring. They provide structure but want you to be scrappy. To take responsible risks, speak up and be heard. Make a difference in the company and make a difference in the lives of our clients. Stuffy suits and rigid rules do not exist here. Be yourself. Be proud of who you are; a messy human. Need time off to deal with life? Take it. This is not a bottomless well of take without giving; be responsible. Responsible to yourself, team, clients. I am honored to work with some of the brightest, most talented people I have ever worked with and to bring my experience to their organization. Together we will all succeed and be better than we ever expected we could be.

Pros

Inclusive, valued, heard, encouraged, empowered, relaxed, collaborative

Cons

Fast pace can be stressful for some, young culture lacks maturity and could lead to many "1st" mistakes

They really care about their people!

I came to Bench with a completely different background and no expectations, but I have learned so much! My managers gave me all the support and tools I needed to progress through the company to a management position. This is a company that really values its employees and clients. They are constantly pushing themselves - creating a new business model after the pandemic hit, launching new products and new internal initiatives for diversity/equity/inclusion. Compensation can be tough for some people but they do the best they can with the funds available and there is room to earn variable compensation through performance in your role.

Pros

Flexibility in hours and role, learning many new skills, management that really cares, always asking for and working on feedback

Cons

Compensation isn't enough for everyone, work/life balance can be tough during peak season

Incredible Company

Everything about Bench is beyond expectations. It is a company that is a "mean what they say" type of company. They are supportive, kind, and are constantly focused on making you the best Benchmate you can be. On top of that, they are constantly reassuring, and are willing to help you at the drop of a hat. You aren't a number with this company, they genuinely care about you, your health, and your success with them at Bench. It is an extremely progressive company, with equal opportunity for everyone. If you want to be apart of a place that is making a world of a difference for small business owners, as well as a caring group of people, Bench is where you want to be. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this company.

Pros

Fun extra activities, constant support from every team member, competitive wages, incredible people, progressive work environment, equality and diversity, the list could go on for EVER.

Amazing humans | Rewarding work | Positive vibes all around

I have never worked for a company with such a pervasive positive, non-cynical energy about it. People are here to do their best work and are sincere about it.Bench also has a culture of working hard and making ambitious goals. High challenge/high support. So if you're looking for a place to just coast, Bench isn't the place for you. What that also means is that you end up meeting some incredible, talented people, which is so rewarding.Things to watch out for: Work/life balance can get off balance very quickly and easily..

Pros

Company-wide commitment to anti-racism and anti-discrimination, Leaders genuinely care about their people

Cons

Poor to inconsistent change management/communication, and change happens often given the scrappy and vibrant culture

Fun and Supportive

Being apart of a star-up means so many things! Processes are changing, new ideas are coming forth and we adapt. What the company has been able to achieve during this difficult time is quite incredible and throughout it, all the people have always been first! They truly make people a priority and are there to provide support when needed.

Pros

Remote

A company that truly cares

Pros- My experience with management has always been supportive, selfless, and caring- As someone who is early in my career, I've appreciated the exposure to different business units and learning about what I like/don't like- The dedication to making the company's mission come true is inspiring- There's a very intentional focus placed around wellbeing and care for the employeesCons- The teams are experimental and constantly learning. There are times where experiments fail and we learn from them - it's a great mentality to have. However, it can get very tiring and if you don't thrive in this environment, it can be tough to succeed.- There's an emphasis placed on internal growth and promotion, which is great. What becomes difficult is when there aren't proper resources to help support new leaders. There seems to be more and more support coming down the line, but external support outside of your own manager could be really impactful for new leaders.

"Great startup environment for those who thrive in fast-paced settings"

Amazing people - fun, young coworkersRemote first companyFun culture - company tries its hardest to maintain it even in virtual settingComp is on the lower endCan get extremely busy - not the best environment for those who do not like fast-paced/agile environments

Pros

great support for leadership, great culture, focus on mental health and DEI

Cons

lower comp, can get super busy

Supportive and Social Environment - Great for Personal Growth

Things are consistently fast-paced which is great for professional growth, learning new skills, and taking on more responsibility but can be stressful at times. I've learned a lot in my time at Bench and experienced a lot of personal and professional growth. All my supervisors have been incredible. Very invested in your growth and your personal well-being, I have always felt extremely supported by my team and my managers. At a more senior level there can be the tendency for knee-jerk decision-making which can create pressure for teams, previous layoffs have left a scar on employees and impacted their confidence in the business. Very open, empowering, and supportive culture - very compassionate and responsible stance on DEI and Mental Health. Overall a great place to work, learn and grow.

Pros

Opportunity for progression, build new skills and take on new projects, open and supportive culture, responsible stance on DEI and mental health, ability to own your own career journey, environment team do a lot to keep morale high while remote.

Cons

High-pressure environment doesn't suit everyone, work/life balance, turnover

Incredible Company to Grow Your Career and Make a Difference

Bench has supported my growth in a way that I've never experienced at another company. I am equally supported and challenged every single day, and feel comfortable being 100% my authentic self.At Bench, the only thing holding you back is the rate of your own development. The company continues to grow like crazy and in my six years here, it has yet to slow down. I am continually floored by the focus and commitment every single Benchmate brings to their role. And as hard as everyone works, we continue to celebrate each others' wins and contributions along the way.Something Bench does particularly well is ensure that everything is #defaultopen. All company performance data and all data/information used to make company-wide and team-specific decisions is shared across the company. There is complete transparency into decision making which is something I have not experienced anywhere else.Another stand-out strength is the lengths to which Bench has gone to become an anti-racist organization over the past year. In the spirit of being default open, the leadership team has been clear about successful actions the company is taking to fulfill this commitment (eg. company-wide anti-bias training, removing bias from hiring practices, highlighting BIPOC owned small businesses on social media, etc.) as well as calling out where we are falling short. With this transparent approach and commitment to continue taking action, I am confident that we will not only follow but set best practices on being an anti-racist organization. That is exactly the kind of company I want to work for and will -

Incredible Company to Grow Your Career and Make a Difference

Bench has supported my growth in a way that I've never experienced at another company. I am equally supported and challenged every single day, and feel comfortable being 100% my authentic self. At Bench, the only thing holding you back is the rate of your own development. The company continues to grow like crazy and in my six years here, it has yet to slow down. I am continually floored by the focus and commitment every single Benchmate brings to their role. And as hard as everyone works, we continue to celebrate each others' wins and contributions along the way. Something Bench does particularly well is ensure that everything is #defaultopen. All company performance data and all data/information used to make company-wide and team-specific decisions is shared across the company. There is complete transparency into decision making which is something I have not experienced anywhere else.Another stand-out strength is the lengths to which Bench has gone to become an anti-racist organization over the past year. In the spirit of being default open, the leadership team has been clear about successful actions the company is taking to fulfill this commitment (eg. company-wide anti-bias training, removing bias from hiring practices, highlighting BIPOC owned small businesses on social media, etc.) as well as calling out where we are falling short. With this transparent approach and commitment to continue taking action, I am confident that we will not only follow but set best practices on being an anti-racist organization. That is exactly the kind of company I want to work for and -

A place to make a difference in the world!

Bench is an epic place to work! Leaders balance demanding objectives with a nurturing environment for growth. It is not easy because each and every day, my leaders see even more potential in me. So each day, I am getting better (as is Bench).The workplace culture is incredible, the 5 principles Bench speaks to on their website are really lived. Like really!

Pros

A huge investment in People development—from the interview stage to the in job investment.

Cons

It is fast paced, things change quickly. I am still learning to rapidly shift my priorities.

Must "Drink the Kool-aid" to be successful

While the spirit of the company and the product are both excellent and necessary the management is inexperienced and act vindictively. The Team-Leads are always on your side and want the best for you though.d

Cons

Long Hours, Low Pay, Unreasonable responsibility for pay, No effective feedback system

Great company but no money

Absolutely great company to work for but if you are looking for security, don't work here. They do lay offs every year because they don't have much money. However, it is the best company I've ever worked for. Culture, compensation and the people are amazing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bench Accounting. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.4