Bench Accounting
Happiness score is 63 out of 100

Bench Accounting Employee Reviews

Canada40 reviews

cultureteamthingpeopleenvironmentcompanyplacegreat

Awesome place to work at

I have loved my time at Bench Accounting. Lots of room to grow and advance, especially on my particular team. The company does a great job of trying to still have a culture while being a fully remote organization.

Pros

Remote flexibility

Cons

No option to go into an office if that is something you want

Great company culture, but pay does not meet responsibility for Accounting Associates

Bench is a company that really does care about its employees and that is refreshing. The flexible, remote work is a big plus - able to schedule doctors appointments etc and make up the time later. Colleagues are all really nice, and the environment is collaborative. I also appreciate the transparency of upper management into the health of the business and business decisions.That said, the Accounting Associate role has a very high level of responsibility in relation to pay. This role is the main point of contact for clients and internally, and needs to complete the all bookkeeping work on top of that. It's like multiple roles in one. If you are looking to start your career in accounting/are a new grad, it may be a good fit as a place to spring board to something better paying. But if not, it seems like other departments would be slightly less stressful, for the same amount of pay. TLDR; Wonderful culture and the flexibility makes headaches worth it sometimes, but do not think the Accounting Associate role specifically is compensated fairly for the work and responsibility required

Official response from Bench Accounting

3 October 2022
Hello there,Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I’m so pleased to hear that the culture, collaborative work environment and flexibility added value and contributed to your life in a positive way when you were working at Bench.You’re absolutely right, the Associate role is a role that comes with a high level of responsibility for our clients and their experience. Across Bench, we invest in ensuring that role responsibility and required skillset are considered in how we structure compensation. Our Total Rewards team runs a benchmarking exercise every year, to make sure that we're paying inline with market and industry rates. Bench's philosophy is to pay at the midpoint of the industry, so while this does mean that there will be companies that pay more that Bench, it also means that half the companies pay less.We appreciate your feedback that the Associate role today feels like multiple roles in one. We do have plans in the short-mid term to build out systems that would support us separating out components of the role, to allow for specialization within bookkeeping tasks and customer experience management. We hope that this will be able to address the experience that you had in the future!Hannah Lise | Snr Manager, Operations

Insights into Bench Accounting

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction

GREAT work-life balance

- Great culture and work life balance- Amazing pro-active leadership-career advancement -a lot of flexibility for remote folks- resulted in a great culture

Great Workplace environment

The staff are incredibly collaborative and supportive of each other - some team leads definitely go above and beyond to make sure that everyone is taken care of.

Pros

Collaborative culture

Cons

Tax season can really impact your work-life balance

Great place to start a career

The average day was spent working in excel dealing with bank statements from clients.Management was great in my department, very understanding and treated like we are adults.The hardest part of the job was working on low quality statements or cheques.

Pros

Flexibility, overtime at your own discretion, great people

Cons

tedious and repetitive work, amount of work available can vary a lot

Great place to start!

Great place to start your career as they hire right outside university. I have found they value work-life balance, and you have unlimited days off based on manager discretion. Really great people and culture. Salary is super low though considering how much work actually goes into working with clients. Very little room for advancement unless you’re moving through the typical pipeline. Fast-paced, lots of process changes almost every 2 weeks. It’s a good place to get experience but most people end up moving on.

Do not work here

I was laid off during COVID 19, which was awful, then a week later was asked to come back? The salary is terrible, the managers should not be managing people, the environment is toxic

Official response from Bench Accounting

2 August 2022
Hello. My apologies for not responding sooner but I've just seen this review and wanted to make sure you got a response, even if a little late. Firstly, I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at Bench so we can learn from your experiences. While it can sometimes be difficult to address these reviews fully because they're anonymous, I've done my best to address your main points below. Laid off, and then hired back, during COVID - I'm sorry you had to go through this. Unfortunately, like the rest of the world, we were unsure of what this pandemic would mean for our clients and the industry. We made some assumptions on what the results would be and, thankfully, we were wrong. Business didn't drop off - it actually increased. That meant we did have to scramble to find people to deal with the increased need and it was our preference to try and hire back those that we'd recently let go. That being said, I'm sure it was an uncomfortable experience for you as an individual and for that I'm sorry. Salary - Our Total Rewards team runs a benchmarking exercise every year, just to make sure that we're paying inline with market and industry rates. Bench's philosophy is to pay at the midpoint of the industry, so while this does mean that there will be companies that pay more that Bench, it also means that half the companies pay less. I'm not sure what role you were in but with the additional benefits (health, dental, vision, flex days, inkblot and professional coaching), and the variable pay piece available in some positions, I think our total rewards offer is pretty -

Solid place to start your career

Great people, understanding management, very open. Overall a good place to work. Management advancement opportunities are available for those willing to go above and beyond. I was never pressured to work overtime, stay late, work weekends, etc. Holidays were flexible. Good place to start your career, and opportunities to build it are available, however many see Bench as a good straight out of Uni spot to give them some time to breathe and figure out what they want to do long term. Lots of encouragement to explore career opportunities internally and externally. Work can be tedious depending on your role, but the pace is never so break neck that it becomes exhausting. Though most employees interact with clients, management is great about ensuring they do not have bad experiences, abusive client behavior is not tolerated, which is really nice to see.

Pros

Great people (both staff and management), work from home, flexible hour.

Cons

Tedious work occasionally, client interaction.

High performing and supportive sales team built with WONDERFUL people

If you are somebody that values feedback and is willing to buy into being transparent about what you need in order to implement it, you'll love working at Bench. For the first time in my life, I have a get-out-what-you-put-in experience at work that doesn't require disgusting amounts of overtime! My manager(s) are equally as supportive in good months as they are in challenging ones. No company is perfect, but the improvement in management accountability over the last year has been huge - this company REALLY cares about its people! The sales team specifically is high-performing and morphing into a diverse group. Month by month I'm enjoying things even more. Incredible place to start your sales career or land in a space where your work/life boundaries are respected and who you are as a person matters. Not the right place for you if you don't value DEI initiatives.

Pros

The people, the supportive culture, remote flexibility

Cons

Nowhere to hide if you can't hit your numbers

Fully remote, collaborative, and fun place to work. Starting salaries are fairly low, but variable pay averages to make it worth it. SUPER FLEXIBLE.

I absolutely love working at Bench. They really encourage you to take time off and are extremely giving of it (paid time off). Easy to work while on vacation as well. The managers and coworkers are FANTASTIC. They hire really great people here and are very clear that we're all working towards a great purpose.

Pros

Flexibility, full remote, great team

Cons

Starting salaries often low

Amazing management & culture

I really love the culture and managers at Bench. I've had a great experience while working here. There's room for growth, but it depends on the team you're in. I love my team and have only great things to say about the company, CEO and those I worked with. However, a leaving point for me is the salary. You are not paid enough for the amount of work you do, and overtime is almost unavoidable considering the workload.

Pros

Relaxed environment, bonus pay is great, kind managers, great benefits

Cons

Work-life balance is hard, salary

Relaxed, open and collaborative work place

A typical day : log in to computer and plan your day. Answer any messages from clients. Then work on your bookkeeping goals for the day. There may be a few meetings here and there but it depends on your role and how long you have been in the company. If you need support on a specific client situation, there are designated " office hours" to get help and support. Hardest part: 1.time management and planning your workflow- which is a basic skill so nothing to worry about there 2. Bookkeeping is repetitive so its not for everyone. Enjoyable part - you will learn about accounting and meet all kinds of business clients with cool and amazing stories. Generally, a great company to work for. Its a start up so sometimes lots or too little change is happening. If you're looking for a company that doesn't change much , Bench may not be a good fit.

Pros

Career growth opportunities, team work and individual projects are encouraged, teamleads are always open to support your career goals and give constructive feedback

Cons

Tax season is busy but if you prep and use all resources available, you will be fine

A Great Opportunity for Experience

You have got to hand it to Bench for giving so many recent university grads a foot in the door. I think most employees use it just as this, but if you stick around and become great in your role, you will be rewarded.

Pros

benefits, flexible hours, no weekends, fun people

Cons

long hours during peak season, expectations keep rising, can be stressful

Excellent workplace to get started in bookkeeping!

The culture of the company is very unique and everybody is very nice and supportive. They did a great job setting everything up for working remotely and overall my experience with Bench was very pleasant and interesting.

Pros

The team

Cons

Not much IMO

Love working at Bench

I'd like to thank 23 year old me for joining Bench, because two years down the line I can't be more grateful for the work culture that I've found at Bench. Not sure how common such a culture is, but people are open to feedback and care about how we are performing individually but also on teams. You get to not only learn how to do your job, you get to ask bigger questions about yourself, your purpose and impact. I also found that I can openly express how I feel about all aspects of my job, and I am not judged for it. Compensation is truly not the only thing one should be looking at when accepting a job offer, and Bench proves that. This does not mean Bench doesn't care about our compensation. I've seen some pretty radical changes made to compensation when brought to management's attention. Thankful for it!

Brilliant people driving a high paced collaborative culture of acceptance and inclusion

Companies talk the talk but it is rare to find a company that walks the walk. They genuinely care about each other, build an honest and inclusive culture and are always looking for and encouraging the success of staff and ideas. Creating an exceptional and impactful experience to better the lives of our clients is what drives everything Bench does.It is very fast paced and you should expect that if you start something you will be expected to finish it. They will hold you accountable, give you honest feedback and look for opportunities to push you to and beyond what you think you are capable of. Mental health is #1 and their corporate culture guide is truthful and inspiring. They provide structure but want you to be scrappy. To take responsible risks, speak up and be heard. Make a difference in the company and make a difference in the lives of our clients. Stuffy suits and rigid rules do not exist here. Be yourself. Be proud of who you are; a messy human. Need time off to deal with life? Take it. This is not a bottomless well of take without giving; be responsible. Responsible to yourself, team, clients. I am honored to work with some of the brightest, most talented people I have ever worked with and to bring my experience to their organization. Together we will all succeed and be better than we ever expected we could be.

Pros

Inclusive, valued, heard, encouraged, empowered, relaxed, collaborative

Cons

Fast pace can be stressful for some, young culture lacks maturity and could lead to many "1st" mistakes

They really care about their people!

I came to Bench with a completely different background and no expectations, but I have learned so much! My managers gave me all the support and tools I needed to progress through the company to a management position. This is a company that really values its employees and clients. They are constantly pushing themselves - creating a new business model after the pandemic hit, launching new products and new internal initiatives for diversity/equity/inclusion. Compensation can be tough for some people but they do the best they can with the funds available and there is room to earn variable compensation through performance in your role.

Pros

Flexibility in hours and role, learning many new skills, management that really cares, always asking for and working on feedback

Cons

Compensation isn't enough for everyone, work/life balance can be tough during peak season

Incredible Company

Everything about Bench is beyond expectations. It is a company that is a "mean what they say" type of company. They are supportive, kind, and are constantly focused on making you the best Benchmate you can be. On top of that, they are constantly reassuring, and are willing to help you at the drop of a hat. You aren't a number with this company, they genuinely care about you, your health, and your success with them at Bench. It is an extremely progressive company, with equal opportunity for everyone. If you want to be apart of a place that is making a world of a difference for small business owners, as well as a caring group of people, Bench is where you want to be. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this company.

Pros

Fun extra activities, constant support from every team member, competitive wages, incredible people, progressive work environment, equality and diversity, the list could go on for EVER.

Amazing humans | Rewarding work | Positive vibes all around

I have never worked for a company with such a pervasive positive, non-cynical energy about it. People are here to do their best work and are sincere about it.Bench also has a culture of working hard and making ambitious goals. High challenge/high support. So if you're looking for a place to just coast, Bench isn't the place for you. What that also means is that you end up meeting some incredible, talented people, which is so rewarding.Things to watch out for: Work/life balance can get off balance very quickly and easily..

Pros

Company-wide commitment to anti-racism and anti-discrimination, Leaders genuinely care about their people

Cons

Poor to inconsistent change management/communication, and change happens often given the scrappy and vibrant culture

Fun and Supportive

Being apart of a star-up means so many things! Processes are changing, new ideas are coming forth and we adapt. What the company has been able to achieve during this difficult time is quite incredible and throughout it, all the people have always been first! They truly make people a priority and are there to provide support when needed.

Pros

Remote

A company that truly cares

Pros- My experience with management has always been supportive, selfless, and caring- As someone who is early in my career, I've appreciated the exposure to different business units and learning about what I like/don't like- The dedication to making the company's mission come true is inspiring- There's a very intentional focus placed around wellbeing and care for the employeesCons- The teams are experimental and constantly learning. There are times where experiments fail and we learn from them - it's a great mentality to have. However, it can get very tiring and if you don't thrive in this environment, it can be tough to succeed.- There's an emphasis placed on internal growth and promotion, which is great. What becomes difficult is when there aren't proper resources to help support new leaders. There seems to be more and more support coming down the line, but external support outside of your own manager could be really impactful for new leaders.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bench Accounting. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement