Bellwood Health Services Employee Reviews

Not the worst place to work
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 June 2019
I worked at Bellwood for about three and a half years as a nurse. It's not that it's a bad place to work as an addictions nurse, it's just that it's not good either.

As a nurse at Bellwood you actually don't spend much time with patient's. Outside of med administration, you almost never see the patient's. Most of your duties consist of processing orders. After 9am patient's start seeing their doctors and after 11am the orders start rolling in. The problem Bellwood has is it's systems are outdated and inefficient. When there were 40 patient's you could run a facility the way it is run. Now that the number of patient's sits around 80 the system just doesn't work. Everything is a band-aid solution. Every solution is meant to solve a problem that doesn't need to exist. You will bang your head against a wall trying to fix the place, but you probably won't succeed. But I wish you luck. Because it's a for profit business and business is good, management doesn't listen to front line staff. Nurses burn out and quit and move on, which is a shame. If management would listen to staff instead of paying lip-service they could save money on turnover, instead they ignore nurses and end up hiring new ones once the old ones have had enough.

Another problem is the therapists that work for BHS don't work with the nursing staff. They seem to have the notion that what they do is the only thing that matters for the patient's and this causes a lot of animosity between the teams.

Now the good, the team of nurses that I worked with were great. They cared about the patient's and about each-other.
  more... We had each-others backs for the most part. The current nurse manager is wonderful, she really cares about the nurses that work under her. The support councilors are fantastic. As a nurse at Bellwood I could not have done my job well without them. A lot of them are in recovery and they get our patient population more than the nurses ever could. The PTSD team that worked for BHS when I was there were fantastic. I understand they've moved on which is a shame.

The best part of working at Bellwood was seeing former patient's return as volunteers. When I would see someone return sober and healthy it was the most rewarding thing in my professional life.

The money is okay, but the benefits have gotten worse than they used to be.

Bellwood could be an amazing place to work, but as it stands it's bloated, out of touch and I think Dr.Gordon Bell would be ashamed of how it treats its staff. Things could change, but as it stands it needs a lot of work and I don't think anything will change with the current management.
Pros
Nurses that back each other
Cons
Management that pretends to listen
Amazing Place To Work
Support Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 September 2018
Working for Bellwood Health Services has been a rewarding experience. It's a very professional organization with a positive and collaborative culture.The work environment is supportive and offers plenty of opportunities for staff growth within the company. Overall this is the best place I have worked in my career with work life balance, diversity and respect.
Pros
Great Staff & Great Work Environment
fun busy workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 November 2017
always a welcoming environment. everyone was friendly and helpful towards anyone who may have needed help. they were excited to teach anyone news techniques and always offered workshops.
Pros
workshops
Cons
can be stressfull
very interesting job that kept me challenged new stuff
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 October 2017
the management ruled by fear. Everybody walking on eggshells hoping not to make a mistake,.that aside it was a good place to learn and try new stuff and grow
Pros
opportunities within the company
Cons
other than my direct supervisor was tough to figure out
Wonderful Company to Work For!
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 July 2017
Great workplace and team to be a part of. People that work there are authentic and love what they do. Management was very supportive and truly cared about the clients.
Pros
Great building, free coffee and flexible work hours
Many headaches
Facility Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 April 2017
The building has been recently been renovated but is experiencing many problems. Work is more of a crisis mode of problems with heating and ventilation, elevator problems, roof leaks, and plumbing backups.
Great Place to Work
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 September 2015
Enjoyed the people I worked with and the mangers I dealt with. A great place to work where I learned a lot and experienced a wide variety of client populations.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Best 4-5 months of my life so far.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 March 2014
I was so blessed to be able to be a part of the Bellwood team. It was such an amazing experience. I learned so many different aspects of Addictions from intake and assessment, to group therapy, 1:1 counselling, charting, aftercare, educational learning sessions and meeting so many different people from all walks of life. I really enjoyed hearing their stories and giving them advice everyone was so interesting and had so much to tell.
Pros
Learned so much
Cons
Can't think of any cons