Bell logo
Bell

Bell Employee Reviews in Halifax, NS

Found 28 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,458 reviews

Overall pleasent

As long as you understand and can work with the union mind-set of doing your job and not beyond, it was a great place to work. Great people and manangement.

Pros

Union, friendly atmosphere

Cons

Union

Great place to work if you are an innovative thinker

I loved working at Bell! People were very open to innovative thinking and doing things a different way was encouraged. Those with initiative were always rewarded.

Pros

Room for advancement, innovative culture

Fun work environment and Great sales experience

Had a lot of fun working at the source. The whole team was always helpful and fun to work with. The commission was great and so was the management. Would definitely recommend.

Great opportunity to learn how to sell

Neighbourhood Marketing at for Bell Aliant is a great opportunity to get your feet we tin the world of sales. They give you plenty of opportunities for making mistakes while you are learning along with a ton of training and support to show you how to sell professionally.

Pros

consistent hours with large earning potential

Cons

large seperation between management and employees.

The teams and some supervisors are great to work with and want to help you to succeed.

Can be really good money, but expect to knock on 80 doors 2 to 3 times each week to make 5 to 8 sales (switch to Bell's home internet and TV services). One has to work in all forms of weather and will need a reliable car. If you have a breakdown or your sales are low for a few weeks, do not expect support. If you are in an area that has you concerned for your safety, it is up to you to do your job as safety and support are not a part of the Bell core values. A typical rep works for 55 to 60 hours a week and can be 7 days a week. Reps are required to drive into downtown Halifax once a week for a meeting if in the HRM.

Pros

Excellent pay/compensation potential

Cons

Work life ballance is hard to achieve

You learn valuable skills, but prepare to work.

Bell is not a bad company to work for. The culture is strong, the organization is well structured, and there is definitely a specific person/place for any concern. In the right region, you will have great opportunities for advancement. And if you’re lucky, you’ll have a manager who is invested in your development. On the negative side, the base salary for all positions is very low—plan your budget around this. The variable pay (commissions, manager bonuses called “SIP”) can be extremely lucrative, but hard to achieve. If you excel and beat your targets, you will double your salary easily. But if you merely attain your targets, or don’t make them, be prepared for a financial reality check. In addition, opportunities for advancement are very much limited to Ontario/Quebec. The other regions are dominated by people who have settled in for life. Advancement outside of central Canada only occurs when someone dies or retires, and then watch out—the whole company structure will change rapidly as the talented clamber for promotions. Lastly, the company structure for sales attainment is centred around a dying model—home services, or “BRS”. This is the end all and be all of sales targets. You make the most money, but are constantly fighting for the same customers who left Bell 3-4 months ago for a better deal. If you are the type of person that can de-escalate an angry customer, you will do well. Internally, support for employees is phenomenal. The benefits package is unreal and no one can beat it. However, you will learn to dread any phone call to “customer service” or our -

Pros

Lucrative bonus/commission structure, strong organizational culture and structure, and regional opportunities for advancement

Cons

Long hours, bad work/life balance, low base pay, toxic customer support culture, and limited opportunities for advancement if you live outside Ontario/Quebec

student work term

I was only with bell for a short 5 weeks only because I was doing a work term with them through nova scotia community college. I just get a nice grasp of things the technicians have to deal with everyday in the work place.

Customer Service

The quality assurance company makes sure that clients are treating exceptionally and within a acceptable time frame. It was a please working with Bell Aliant as I learned much about marketing and customer satisfaction.

too much pressure

Poor work life balance. too much pressure to hit sales goals and the sales practices are terrible . They push much to hard on the staff. Some managers were better than others.

a lot of opportunity until Bell takeover

My career at Bell Aliant was great. There was great leadership, who was very supportive and recognized you for your contribution. The company offered many opportunities.

Jobs at Bell

in Halifax, NS
See more jobs

Great money not so great job

The act of going door to door is even harder than one thinks. The constant rejection, the insults hurled at you from the person whose door you just banged on. The money was great, but the quality of life is brutal hence the quick burnout rate.

Pros

Money

Cons

the Job itself

Great company to work for always changing, always training, always advancing

Bell Aliant is a great place to work. With the constant changes with technology it was more training and room for advancing within the company. The pay is great. Management is great. The Union is great. I will always be grateful for my Bell Aliant Experience.

Pros

always striving for customer service & technology excellence

Cons

nepotism

Decent work place

It was a nice place to work, although boring. They never have enough work for the students and typically will go a full month without a computer so they stick you with reading any reports they can find online which are not relevant to your job, just to keep you doing something.

Poor work life balance/ high pressure on sales staff

Very aggressive targets and management were tough to deal with if targets were not hit. Targets were lowered just after I left. Working hours were terrible as well.

Pros

flexible hours, limited supervision

Cons

stressful work environment, inconsistent pay as commission can be

Fantastic Experience for me

I worked for MTT and Bell Aliant and enjoyed it very much. The overall culture was welcoming and there were ample opportunities for growth and advancement.

Can be a fun place to work.

Basically do the job of everyone in the store. Sometimes feels like you didn't really leave when it comes to shifts. Have had to change personal commitments to cover other people.

Pros

excellent benefits

Cons

do your job and the job of others with no acknowledgement

horrible place to work, like a call centre

heartless, micromanaged, near impossible goals, never ending changes to jobs and procedures without notice, heavy workload

Pros

good pay and benefits

Cons

same as above

Not bad

Work many hours, good compensation, great management Days can be long and hard in the winter when it gets dark early and is cold, you should be prepared and need to keep a constantly positive attitude.

Good place for Coop

Junior Infrastructure Manager September - December 2014 Bell Aliant Inc., Halifax, NS, Canada I really found it is a great experience as a Coop student to apply school's knowledge into practice.

Technical Sales Support

Every day was different, no real routine, as I worked in an ever changing environment. I worked directly with 12 Account Architects, in my immediate workplace, and another 20+ throughout the Maritime provinces. I made it a point to say good morning to everyone. I would solicit work from each and every one of them when my workload permitted, to free them up for other things. I was always approachable to ask for assistance, and willing to help if I could in any way possible. Whether it was a contact name or number for someone they may be looking for, a suggestion where to call sometimes for things. Often I would take on projects for various Account Architects to assist them with their everyday workload. This role was a natural fit after gaining so much knowledge as a Data Services Business Representative. The skills were invaluable, as I worked on many projects during the 5 years. That is what I loved about the role, I was always learning and doing new things. I am a people person, and make every effort to ensure no one person is overwhelmed, and always try to help if at all possible. Time management was key as we had deliverable's that must be met, and cost to keep down, profits up. I enjoyed this role, as I felt a part of a team that truly worked together well and were supportive of each other.

Pros

All of the above

Cons

Can't think of any

Bell Aliant

Good overall company to work for. Lots of opportunities to learn new skills and meet high-caliber people. Very professional organization

Pros

Will enhance your skills quickly

Cons

Recently purchased by Bell Canada so opportunities may be more limited

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bell. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement