Beertown Public House Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Amazing place to work!!
Server (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON19 April 2018
I worked in a number of different food & beverage companies and Beertown has been by far my favourite. At the end of the day, it’s not all about your tips or having those 40 full time hours. Don’t get me wrong, if you have the availability for it they WILL give it to you. But it’s more than just money. The training, the management, the staff, the guests and how they run their business all counts when employees choose to stay. Most servers have been there for 1+ years which is hard to find in serving industry as there is usually lots of turnover. The staff is on their game, and if you’re slacking it will be known. At Beertown Cambridge it is always known that we are a team and we work together. It’s not a hard job unless you make it into one. It’s very fun but LOTS to learn. The training is absolutely fantastic as they train servers in each of the FOH areas which helps so much as a server when you know expo, running, drinks, hosting, taking phone calls etc. And lastly, the management. Amazing. Constantly encouraging staff when they do good work, always on the floor helping when needed, delegates tasks and cuts people at appropriate times. I’m a very outgoing and strong person/server and was very intimidated by management during my 3 interviews as they have lots of standards that need to be met as they are part of The Charcoal Group. However, after working at BT Cambridge for a few months now, I’ve grown to realize that these are some of the most supportive and nicest managers I have worked with to date.
I really have nothing bad to say about the people, company or work itself.
  more... I truly go into work happy and leave work happy. Would highly recommend to anyone that is looking to brush up on their beer knowledge, work at a cool place that supports local crafts and food. If you’re a server or worker that loves a challenge, this is the place for you!!  less
Easily disposable
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON5 February 2018
Super busy and stressful. The employees make the job, the management breaks it. Unorganized and easy to turn their back on you. Not the place to work if you're looking for long term or advancement.
Pros
FOH staff, lots of hours
Cons
unpredictable hours, management is garbage
Atmosphere was incredible however the job suffered because of the job that it is
Line/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON17 January 2018
- Hours were long (7-11hrs a day - always without a proper 30min break)
- Breaks are in no way enforced, or even advised, atleast when i was there
- Loved working with everyone I worked with
- Management was usually pretty good but there was one that I couldn't stand
- For the most part I loved my work, however it is stressful, and hot. This is just the life of a line cook though so its nothing that can be helped
Pros
50% whole menu while at work, great people, fun enviroment/laidback, and tips were always pretty nice
Cons
Long hours, Practically non-existense breaks (15 min at best), Overbearing, annoying, rude, and controlling chef (long story - he's only a junior sous chef so...)
Sinking fast
Line cook (Former Employee) –  London, ON13 January 2018
Was with Beertown for a couple years. Saw our chef over worked like crazy. Felt like there was never communication from head office. Specs wrong never matching the menu. Never new who the executive chef was until I asked who the guy in the street clothes was the one time I saw him in the two years I worked there. Managers were more focused on flirting with servers or getting home cause they had a long drive vs making sure the restaurant was set up for the opening line cooks. Never felt comfortable going to the GM. He was always super passive aggressive. Benefits were great and the kitchen staff was great to work with. Hope they start supporting the boh and foh instead of bringing someone in that does not know beertown like they always do.
Pros
Benefits, great staff, great chef
Cons
Communication, training, foh managers
Toxic Work Environment
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  109 Fanshawe Park Rd East.7 January 2018
Very inflexible management staff, demands long understaffed hours without complaints, and ignores or disregards complaints. Promotions appear and disappear randomly and the company is more likely to hire someone new than promote. Solid benefits program, shame the turnover rate is so high 60% of people never get to use it. Great and wonderful people there, managed poorly.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Low wage to work required ratio, Poor Management.
Overworked/underpaid
Cook (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON2 July 2017
Understaffed at times, stuck there doing cleaning and dishes til 4am when we close at 2. High expectations of untrained and undertrained staff. Management was pleasant but the place was too unorganized and chaotic.
Pros
Free pop
Cons
Hours, the training and job
Good Job, Was not for me
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON1 July 2016
Gained a lot of good line experience, Taught me how to be quick with time management. People there were great. the job got repetitive and was not in the field I wanted to be.
fast paced, unorganized, good team, poor management
Dish Washer to Cook (Former Employee) –  London, ON3 December 2015
Beertown is an excellent establishment to be employed with, it has a great atmosphere and a very inviting friendly team. However as with a lot of companies it does have its faults. The team work was there along with encouragement from the coworkers but one thing in need of change was time management and projections on how much prep was needed during the week so the staff is not stuck making EVERYTHING on the fly on a Friday and Saturday night. There are always issues in kitchens as far as I have seen. I have learned a lot of culinary experience during my time there and wish them the best!
Busy, fun, upbeat place to work!
Chef de Cuisine (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON25 November 2015
I had the pleasure of being the head chef here for 2 years. I had the most fun I have for a long time in this industry. Id work for this company again.
Pros
Great Salary
Cons
Very busy!
Beertown - Great Kitchen
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON8 February 2015
Good place to work, a lot of good people and good food. Management is easy to talk to and flexible with your schedule and life outside of work. Co-workers are real and down to earth.
Pros
Always busy - positive/fun atmosphere
Cons
Long / unpredictable hours