Beertown Public House

Beertown Public House Employee Reviews

Canada25 reviews
Amazing people!
The staff here are amazing people! They are very close knit but once you’re part of the Beertown crew, you are family. Management wasn’t always the best but definitely not the worst. They could work on how they handle situations better. I would highly recommend working here!
Fun place to work
Beertown was a fun fast paced place to work. Team work is a must and so is a positive attitude.
The hours are all over the place but that is the service industry.

The money is good as long as you work hard and care about your customers.
Pros
good money
Poor Workplace
Poor management here at beertown allows for almost no workplace advancement. Told them i was part time, but gave me full time hours. Pay was decent but not great
Do not care about employees
You are to be available always . Families with needs do not matter to them . Your health and safety sure doesnt . Paid minimal for breaking your back . Even if you deserve to do more they keep putting it off. Do not reccomend.
It’s great
Working at BEERTOWN London was amazing experience it’s really hard to not feel at home in this environment. Highly recommend if in school or not apply
not necessarily recommended
- job itself is fast paced and stressful at times but overall not bad
- at busy times (typically weekends and weekday nights) can get very busy and stressful

- management is poor and allowed for no advancement

- no work life balance

- did not provide any breaks

- long nights and shifts, no scheduled end time, hard to plan for anything after work

- food is great and the employees are fun to work with but also gossip alot

- management would take out their stress on you
Very busy!
great place to work, with some great staff. Back of house is always crazy with lots to do. Pay could be better, but that's the kitchen life! ………………...
Combination of excitement and novelty with tap line up paired with great food and incredible service.
Working at Beertown was challenging yet fun. The company demanded excellence, which as a professional was easily met and exceeded by the staff members. Gaining knowledge about the beers was encouraged and expected in order to ensure maximum guest experience. Management was available for help whenever needed, and encouraged MOTs (Moments of Truth) which allowed us to excel beyond guest expectations and create memorable experiences.
Nice Place to work
No complaints, staff and management were nice. just know your beer and your menu and all will be okay, I enjoyed working here. Guest comment cards help too.
Chaotic kitchen, lots of talk about standards but don't have any.
Worked there almost a year, and in that time I watched over 8 people leave some of which were there for 5 years. They switch kitchen managers every year and half or so and are NOT willing to work with you on hours they show favoritism for hours to certain people very bluntly and when presented them with the problems there was talk of action to be taken but never was. Overall learned to keep good time management the people are awesome just management is not. And the guy who does the tipouts is a regular staff member who will add your money into other people's if he doesn't like you.if you want to be a "chef" do not work here it's a line cook job. Merry chefs don't get cleaned properly either.
Pros
Half hour break every 5 hours, Tipout
Cons
No steady hours, favoritism. High turnover.
Great place to work if you like to work HARD
Beertown is in full expansion mode and is pushing employees harder than ever to excel and provide exceptional service. I loved my time spent with the company, however this is NOT the place for passive or lazy employees.
Pros
Great income potential
Productive and educating place to work for anyone in culinary industry
Beertown is an active and lively restaurant where staff are driven and committed to success. Each employee is encouraged to do their best and are effectively trained on how to efficiently and effectively do their jobs.
Fun Workplace, With need of new management
My experience working for Beertown was a busy one. The food is good and the Line cooks are all talented individuals, but the sous chef, and Head chefs always failed to keep them focused and working together as a team. Each day went by quickly, with lots to do, and Guests to serve. A lot of days woud be understaffed. The hardest part of my job would have been having to go back and forth between the Dish pit, and Prep to prepare desserts during the dinner rush. Every staff member was great, and were all good friends with each other, and getting to get to know them was the best part. However, tensions were always high during rushes due to most staff feeling their way was better. I learned about speed in the restaurant here. It's all about finding the most safe and efficient way. Most people taking classes in college and university, aren't taught this to its full extent.
Pros
Decent hourly wage
Cons
Long hours, unorganized managment
Terrible place to work with an unreasonable General Manager.
Charcoal group is sadly a company that allows for appalling and unaccompdating managers to get ahead which causes a toxic work environment. They focus only on thier sales with blatant disregard for thier employees. They treat employees with no respect or trust while expecting you to move mountains. There is no work life balance as they will run you into the ground. Don't work here!
Cons
Long hours, atrocious managers, no work life balance
Amazing place to work!!
I worked in a number of different food & beverage companies and Beertown has been by far my favourite. At the end of the day, it’s not all about your tips or having those 40 full time hours. Don’t get me wrong, if you have the availability for it they WILL give it to you. But it’s more than just money. The training, the management, the staff, the guests and how they run their business all counts when employees choose to stay. Most servers have been there for 1+ years which is hard to find in serving industry as there is usually lots of turnover. The staff is on their game, and if you’re slacking it will be known. At Beertown Cambridge it is always known that we are a team and we work together. It’s not a hard job unless you make it into one. It’s very fun but LOTS to learn. The training is absolutely fantastic as they train servers in each of the FOH areas which helps so much as a server when you know expo, running, drinks, hosting, taking phone calls etc. And lastly, the management. Amazing. Constantly encouraging staff when they do good work, always on the floor helping when needed, delegates tasks and cuts people at appropriate times. I’m a very outgoing and strong person/server and was very intimidated by management during my 3 interviews as they have lots of standards that need to be met as they are part of The Charcoal Group. However, after working at BT Cambridge for a few months now, I’ve grown to realize that these are some of the most supportive and nicest managers I have worked with to date.
I really have nothing bad to say about the people, company or work itself.
 - more...
Great staff, high sales.
Good food done fast. The management and staff have such an eager to please guests and the overall vibe was awesome. Hours can be unpredictable but shifts are usually on the longer side so there is a lot of potential to work 40-50 hour weeks if that is what you're looking for. The tips in the kitchen ($2-$5 an hour) can offset a lower starting wage which has really helped work around the wage freeze most companies have implemented since the minimum wage increase. One of the better corporate restaurants I've ever worked for.
Pros
Tips, hours, management.
Cons
Sometimes disorganized.
Easily disposable
Super busy and stressful. The employees make the job, the management breaks it. Unorganized and easy to turn their back on you. Not the place to work if you're looking for long term or advancement.
Pros
FOH staff, lots of hours
Cons
unpredictable hours, management is garbage
Atmosphere was incredible however the job suffered because of the job that it is
- Hours were long (7-11hrs a day - always without a proper 30min break)
- Breaks are in no way enforced, or even advised, atleast when i was there

- Loved working with everyone I worked with

- Management was usually pretty good but there was one that I couldn't stand

- For the most part I loved my work, however it is stressful, and hot. This is just the life of a line cook though so its nothing that can be helped
Pros
50% whole menu while at work, great people, fun enviroment/laidback, and tips were always pretty nice
Cons
Long hours, Practically non-existense breaks (15 min at best), Overbearing, annoying, rude, and controlling chef (long story - he's only a junior sous chef so...)
Sinking fast
Was with Beertown for a couple years. Saw our chef over worked like crazy. Felt like there was never communication from head office. Specs wrong never matching the menu. Never new who the executive chef was until I asked who the guy in the street clothes was the one time I saw him in the two years I worked there. Managers were more focused on flirting with servers or getting home cause they had a long drive vs making sure the restaurant was set up for the opening line cooks. Never felt comfortable going to the GM. He was always super passive aggressive. Benefits were great and the kitchen staff was great to work with. Hope they start supporting the boh and foh instead of bringing someone in that does not know beertown like they always do.
Pros
Benefits, great staff, great chef
Cons
Communication, training, foh managers
Toxic Work Environment
Very inflexible management staff, demands long understaffed hours without complaints, and ignores or disregards complaints. Promotions appear and disappear randomly and the company is more likely to hire someone new than promote. Solid benefits program, shame the turnover rate is so high 60% of people never get to use it. Great and wonderful people there, managed poorly.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Low wage to work required ratio, Poor Management.
Overworked/underpaid
Understaffed at times, stuck there doing cleaning and dishes til 4am when we close at 2. High expectations of untrained and undertrained staff. Management was pleasant but the place was too unorganized and chaotic.
Pros
Free pop
Cons
Hours, the training and job
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Beertown Public House. Our community is ready to answer.
Beertown Public House Reviews by Location