Bed Bath & Beyond Pay & Benefits reviews

Found 42 reviews matching the search See all 5,730 reviews
Poor pay no hours but lots of staff
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK6 June 2019
Poor pay no hours available but they still hire but the staff already there is not getting hours "':"'';&_-;!'$:!!'"!!:*;!"-? Management is cranky $-+
Cons
Poor pay no advancement and they hire staff even though the staff there is looking for more hours
typical retail
Sales Associate / Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 April 2019
not enough hours, no growth, no raise, just a typical retail job with minimum wages. it was a part time job for me. no career opportunity. i didn't have to work on weekend that was beneficial.
Pros
provides work
Cons
no growth, not enough hours
Voicing work concerns to superiors is like talking to a wall
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC9 April 2019
I worked at BBB for over two years and originally thoroughly enjoyed my job. I was always getting the amount of hours I wanted and I loved the people I worked with. Unfortunately, overtime, things went completely downhill. Yearly employee reviews and raises are meant to be conducted and months went by and so many of us had not received ours. Instead, individuals who do much less work and had worked at this company for many years less get promoted more than once! To expand further on this, individuals who have worked for the company since the store has opened actually make less money than somebody going on their second year. On top of no promotions or raises, there are members of management that make the work environment highly anxiety ridden with condescending comments, rude remarks and having outbursts in front of customers which is extremely embarrassing and uncomfortable as staff and customers.

Due to these issues, so many people quit and we ran short staffed for months, including Christmas time, which made even more people quit because we were all being overworked and were completely exhausted. This company is great if you like working tirelessly while head office sits in the office and ignores the rest of us. Their concern lies with the appearance of the store and could care less about the people that actually work to make it look good - They will walk past you without even saying hello. If you are hired for one position such as a cashier, expect to also be required to be able to do every other position in the store due to a lack of staff. DO NOT ever expect a single
  more... weekend off.

Talking to a manager about concerns will do nothing even if more than four people address the same concerns. If you decide to also contact human resources, don't bother because you will only get an email saying concerns were discussed but nothing is being done.

If head office was not completely useless, the store might still have all its old staff, concerns would be addressed, wages would be based on performance and seniority instead of favoritism and being anxious at work due to higher ups would not be an issue.
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
everything else stated
Toxic and disrespectful Management
Sales Associate/Drapery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON10 March 2019
BBB Richmond Hill's management is disrespectful and inconsiderate of all of their employees. They are quick to judge and talk trash about their employees in front of their customers. There is no room for growth or a reasonable pay raise for any deserved effort. They always mess up the schedule, every single week they are revising and revising until there is no one working on the floor... its a real mess. I honestly beg you to stay away from this place, and you will know why when you get the job and instantly see it for what it is.
Pros
learn how to stand up for yourself
Cons
everything
Fun, Liberal work environment!!
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK31 January 2019
The company takes very good care of its employees, great benefits package, lots of great training and committment to the well being of staff!! Love it!
Pros
sales events and incentives!
Cons
fast paced, high standard of excellence.
This company will suck the life out of you
Employee (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON7 November 2018
If you value your sanity, do not work at this company if your life depends on it. I say this with complete honesty, and having worked in retail for over 8 years, I’ve had my fair share of experience with a couple different companies. Bed Bath and Beyond has absolutely no regard for its employees well being in any way, shape, or form. The pay is minimum wage, which is normal for retail, there’s absolutely no benefits of any kind, because the company doesn’t care about their employees to that extent, and the management and HR is absolutely garbage. Their empathy towards employees, whether you’ve worked for this company for 9 months or 9 years, is pathetic. The management is run by Hitler-esque wannabes, at my location in particular, who try to get you fired for even the smallest of reasons. There’s an employee anonymous help line for any complaints, that does absolutely nothing to help it’s workers, no matter what the reason. The Brampton location is an absolute disgrace and I encourage anyone to stay far, far away from Bed Bath and Beyond. I wouldn’t come back to work here for triple the hourly pay I was being paid.
Pros
Working here makes you want to do better things in life
Cons
Absolutely everything
Fun place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 October 2018
I had fun working here. The managers and my coworkers were all amazing. The hours were good too. The pay was also pretty decent as well. I miss working there.
Not bad place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK2 October 2018
The managers play favorites. They don't work around your schedule either and rather cut people's hours and higher new people. Those who need the hours wont get them and those who ask for smaller amount of hours will get lots.
Pros
Learn lots of new products
Cons
Not much pay and little hours.
Okay place, no room for advancement
Cashier and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK7 September 2018
The people that I work with are all generally really kind, and I've met some amazing friends here- the management is also good for the most part. However, there is no room to move up in the company at all, no raises other than a 25 cent yearly raise no matter how many departments you're trained in, and the Christmas hours are absolutely nuts. It is a very physically demanding job, and the pay doesn't equate to the amount of work employees do. I think a lot of the problems with this company start at the top of the management chain, and there are definitely things that need to be changed to make it better for their employees. Also, a lot of the customers are really rude and get mad at employees for things that they have no control over.
Pros
Good coworkers, discount
Cons
Minimum pay for maximum work, rude customers, no room for advancement
Excellent Customers Service at the expense of the employees
Front End Cashier (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON16 August 2018
Very, very, hard work for minimum wages.
You go up and down ladders bringing products down for customers.
Increases of hourly wages of 20-25 cents occurs once a year, no matter how hard you exceed expectations.
Lunch breaks come just before you leave for the day. You are starving
Standing for hours, feet and back hurt
Not allowed to have water bottles at your station. So thirsty.
You have to clean the bathrooms, vacuum store, wash floors and gather garbage at closing each day, disgusting

Christmas party at end of year. Food is provided but no bonuses or gifts. Sad

Good Stuff:
99% of managers and 99% staff are great
Get a lot of training before you hit the floor
Sense of Family
20% off all products
Everyone working hard to help the costumer

This store provides amazing customer service most of which is provided by the minimally paid staff!

Making this job better by:
Hire a cleaning crew to clean all area stores
Wages should start at least $1 more than minimum wages. This is not a minimal effort job.
Raises in salary should be based on performance not a standard amount
Lunch/meal break must take place no later than 3.5 hours from starting one's shift
Water bottles are allowed at your workstation
Cashiers are allowed to have stools to sit or lean on.
Pros
You get 20 per cent discount off all purchases - good thing
Cons
washing bathrooms, washing floors, collecting garbage each night
ok job for students
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL8 August 2018
Good people to work with on the floor.
Management sometimes hard to work with, even hired on as a part time student they were unwilling to adjust scheduling based on school, often scheduled more hours than available and outside of availability without first seeing if you could work.
Pros
good people on the floor
Cons
difficult management
Best retail job
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE3 July 2018
I've been here for almost 2 years and I still enjoy it. The incentives program makes the job worth it. They feed us on large holidays and have cakes when someone is leaving or coming back. The management is amazing and I love my fellow staff. I've made great friends working there and I genuinely do love working there.
Pros
Free food, employee incentives, benefits, raises, flexible schedules
Cons
Angry customers about things beyond your control
No time to relax, Just work, projects, cash, Inventory, meetings... next day same routine
Lead Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 June 2018
Day start with freight forward to floor and top & back stocking
Hurdle time - 15 to 5 min. depends who's are attending it.
Management - great learning in terms of floor planning, profit, execution, review , Projects on your own, word of appreciation and celebration on hurdles.. Great Benefits.
Tiring part is you are on your own on doing projects, on your feet all the time.
Enjoyable part is - you come across good people in work and as customers.
would recommend if your are chosen - "Retail is career for you"
Pros
Benefits and Product Incentives
Cons
less staff leads to work burden
Good atomosphere
Sales Associate & RTV Associate (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB30 May 2018
Great company to work with, although your never guaranteed hours or full-time because they only offer full-time to managers. Not much room for growth. Kind of a part-time job to make extra money when you have an actual full-time job.
Terrible management, terrible hours
Front End Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON3 May 2018
From the day I was hired I was lied to and lead to believe I would be full time. Scheduling is inconsistent (one week you get 32 hours, the next you get 10 hours) and not at all flexible to the employee's needs.

They don't value hardworking employees, just the ones who suck up to management. The store manager looks for reasons to put you down and never recognises your accomplishments.

Management will sit at their desks playing games on their phones while the few staff members working are trying to help multiple customers at once.

When minimum wage increased, all staff lost their hard earned raises and were only making 10 cents more than newly hired employees.
Pros
Good prices on staff incentive items
Cons
Shifts are either too long or too short and very inconsistent, favouritism is a problem, no benefits, full time, or chance for advancement
a typically day at work
Front Store Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON2 May 2018
Beginning my career at Bed bath and beyond was quite interesting, everything was quite interesting to learn. However, there were jobs i had to complete which i wasn't trained it.
Pros
nothing
Cons
long shifts no benefits
Good people, Bad leadership
Front End Lead (Current Employee) –  Calgary, Ab4 January 2018
If you are looking for a place to work where you can do almost nothing all day and never get fired, this is the place for you. You need to actively try to get fired here, and even then, you may not be let go.

They promise befits, and flexible hours, but its a lie. Don't get me wrong, you are given flexible hours. That one isn't too much of a problem, until people abuse the system. One key holder would only work Mon-Fri 9-5 and refused to work any other time. At a retail place. Only recently did they put their foot down.
And you are eligible for benefits, if you are full time. Good luck getting full time. Only management and some "replan" (the people that take care of stock) are actually full time. They also told us that if you are responsible for stopping a theft, we are eligible for a reward. The key word there is "Eligible" and that wasn't made clear. I stopped $800 of stuff from walking out the door. I got nothing. A co worker stopped $1,000 and she got a T-Shirt. And only because she asked.

I absolutely love the people I work with (Most of them at least) and I like my mangers. All these problems come from poor Regional and Corporate policies. And I know its easy to brush off a poor review, but I am a person that has worked there for many years, much like a lot of my co workers. Its not because they have great hiring structure, but because no one, no matter how incompetent, gets fired.
Pros
You can get Cheap Stuff
Cons
Little chance of getting full time, 0 reward for stopping theft, higher management is spineless.
Great Part-Time Job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB2 January 2018
If you are a student looking for a part-time jobs with good availability this is a great job! They fluctuate on hours but normally give you a much as you ask for. I work during the day and occasional evening and am normally happy with my paycheck in the end.

The BBB managers are very good and the atmosphere is very good as everyone is very friendly providing a fun place to work and feel more then comfortable in.
Better pay and hours are needed.
Reciever (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 December 2017
I will start off with what I did like about the store:

Management is really good with time off (never had a single request denied, even in December)

20% discount on pretty much anything in store.

If you work in the back end, you are always on the day shift and don't do closings.

However, there are several drawbacks:
You do not get a raise even after being there over a year.

They rarely hire non management as full time, so there is no benefits.

Meaningless rules about dress code (no jeans on Saturdays, but on Fridays its ok)

Expect open availability only to work you 16 hours a week

I feared getting sick because I couldn't afford to take extra unpaid days off.

Management could work on communication (Been told the same thing by 5 different people within a few minutes).

They've predetermined who they want to move up in the company and who will stay part time until they leave. If you want to be a manager, work here a year or two and then apply at another place.

Part time hours do not cut it forever for most people. This is why most employees there are in college or semi retired.

I would of been happier working here if I hadn't felt like I was barely scraping by.
Pros
No stress about time off
Cons
Does not pay enough, no raises unless you get promoted
No pay raise! No room for improvement!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 November 2017
Despite overwhelmingly positive feedback and that fact that the company boasted their “best year to date but there are people out there who are underpaid or who feel they could be better compensated elsewhere.

As they often say, the fastest way to get a big raise is to change jobs and find better. Of course, study hard!

A job I call a good stepping stone for young adults and good retirement job to do. Some management have poor resolution in making decision. Though I respect them for that most of the time
Pros
Working with people
Cons
No advancement feeling, !

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bed Bath & Beyond. Our community is ready to answer.

51.4K