Bed Bath & Beyond Management reviews

No time to relax, Just work, projects, cash, Inventory, meetings... next day same routine
Lead Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 June 2018
Day start with freight forward to floor and top & back stocking
Hurdle time - 15 to 5 min. depends who's are attending it.
Management - great learning in terms of floor planning, profit, execution, review , Projects on your own, word of appreciation and celebration on hurdles.. Great Benefits.
Tiring part is you are on your own on doing projects, on your feet all the time.
Enjoyable part is - you come across good people in work and as customers.
would recommend if your are chosen - "Retail is career for you"
Pros
Benefits and Product Incentives
Cons
less staff leads to work burden
Friendly workplace with easy workload
Front End Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 June 2018
The management were all extremely friendly and understanding, along with everyone else working there. The hardest part of the job is dealing with sometimes unreasonable customers but, it is easily made up for by the friendly coworkers and considerably easily workload.
Pros
Understanding management, free food (sometimes), free cake on some birthdays
Cons
long hours, annoying customers
great atmosphere with pepole willing to help you, great displays
soft side lead (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB31 May 2018
a typical work day, managers do morning huddle and infuse some fun, next reports for down stock are printed and worked on as a team, list will be left to work on, i spend my shift helping customers, helping fellow staff members and completing tasks. it can be hard to complete everything in a shift, the managers are understanding and vary willing to help, having helpful management creates a relaxed and comfortable environment for all.
Busy and productive workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON20 May 2018
Always had a task to complete as it was a very busy workplace. Helped me learn key skills like, time management, how to order products online and how to use a cash register.
Pros
20% discount off of merchandise
Cons
Long working hours
Terrible management, terrible hours
Front End Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON3 May 2018
From the day I was hired I was lied to and lead to believe I would be full time. Scheduling is inconsistent (one week you get 32 hours, the next you get 10 hours) and not at all flexible to the employee's needs.

They don't value hardworking employees, just the ones who suck up to management. The store manager looks for reasons to put you down and never recognises your accomplishments.

Management will sit at their desks playing games on their phones while the few staff members working are trying to help multiple customers at once.

When minimum wage increased, all staff lost their hard earned raises and were only making 10 cents more than newly hired employees.
Pros
Good prices on staff incentive items
Cons
Shifts are either too long or too short and very inconsistent, favouritism is a problem, no benefits, full time, or chance for advancement
Awesome Retail Store, Bad Management
Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON27 April 2018
BBB Is a breath of fresh air when it comes to retail stores. The company really values it's customer, safety and product training. There's a significant amount of training to insure you feel comfortable on the job. They are typically very flexible with days off. Great return policy for customers, but us as the associates we see some pretty gross stuff come back. My biggest thing I dislike about this job is the management, they like to power trip.
Bad company culture
MANAGER, DEVELOPMENT TRAINER (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 March 2018
Very small payroll provided depending on the location. District level management is very 'bush league' to say the least. The company does not treat their Management well. Heavy focus on meeting sales plan however to payroll provided to support sales associates.
Good people, Bad leadership
Front End Lead (Current Employee) –  Calgary, Ab4 January 2018
If you are looking for a place to work where you can do almost nothing all day and never get fired, this is the place for you. You need to actively try to get fired here, and even then, you may not be let go.

They promise befits, and flexible hours, but its a lie. Don't get me wrong, you are given flexible hours. That one isn't too much of a problem, until people abuse the system. One key holder would only work Mon-Fri 9-5 and refused to work any other time. At a retail place. Only recently did they put their foot down.
And you are eligible for benefits, if you are full time. Good luck getting full time. Only management and some "replan" (the people that take care of stock) are actually full time. They also told us that if you are responsible for stopping a theft, we are eligible for a reward. The key word there is "Eligible" and that wasn't made clear. I stopped $800 of stuff from walking out the door. I got nothing. A co worker stopped $1,000 and she got a T-Shirt. And only because she asked.

I absolutely love the people I work with (Most of them at least) and I like my mangers. All these problems come from poor Regional and Corporate policies. And I know its easy to brush off a poor review, but I am a person that has worked there for many years, much like a lot of my co workers. Its not because they have great hiring structure, but because no one, no matter how incompetent, gets fired.
Pros
You can get Cheap Stuff
Cons
Little chance of getting full time, 0 reward for stopping theft, higher management is spineless.
Great job but unfriendly management
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB30 December 2017
Management started friendly but under stress revealed unpleasant side. Time off is rarely approved as they are very short staffed however the job itself is pleasant.
A decent place to grow and learn new skills whilst being in a flawed and sometimes frustrating system.
Department Lead (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 December 2017
Bed Bath is a very Customer service heavy company who is trying to stave off death by Amazon through intense customer service focus. They do well with training their employees in this facet of retail but sometimes this can lead to them putting to much emphasis on the customer and not enough on the their lower level employees. Management and hours are another big issue, but i am unsure of whether or not this has to do with money issues within the company or just a complete lack of understanding of what resources they need to run certain stores efficiently.
Pros
Room to grow and move up.
Cons
Lack of hours for stores, and no management communication.
Better pay and hours are needed.
Reciever (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 December 2017
I will start off with what I did like about the store:

Management is really good with time off (never had a single request denied, even in December)

20% discount on pretty much anything in store.

If you work in the back end, you are always on the day shift and don't do closings.

However, there are several drawbacks:
You do not get a raise even after being there over a year.

They rarely hire non management as full time, so there is no benefits.

Meaningless rules about dress code (no jeans on Saturdays, but on Fridays its ok)

Expect open availability only to work you 16 hours a week

I feared getting sick because I couldn't afford to take extra unpaid days off.

Management could work on communication (Been told the same thing by 5 different people within a few minutes).

They've predetermined who they want to move up in the company and who will stay part time until they leave. If you want to be a manager, work here a year or two and then apply at another place.

Part time hours do not cut it forever for most people. This is why most employees there are in college or semi retired.

I would of been happier working here if I hadn't felt like I was barely scraping by.
Pros
No stress about time off
Cons
Does not pay enough, no raises unless you get promoted
Kitchener a terrible location, other stores significantly better.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON6 December 2017
Kitchener management is very harsh, complete lack of employee recognition, incredibly unfriendly/rude managers and upper staff. Focus on negative comments and bring down the employees. Work is less customer service and more cleaning. Very vigilant. Others I worked in were very nice, had friendly staff/managers and good work environment.
Pros
Calmer than big city locations, easier to complete projects
Cons
Managing style is off-putting
No pay raise! No room for improvement!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 November 2017
Despite overwhelmingly positive feedback and that fact that the company boasted their “best year to date but there are people out there who are underpaid or who feel they could be better compensated elsewhere.

As they often say, the fastest way to get a big raise is to change jobs and find better. Of course, study hard!

A job I call a good stepping stone for young adults and good retirement job to do. Some management have poor resolution in making decision. Though I respect them for that most of the time
Pros
Working with people
Cons
No advancement feeling, !
Nepotism reigns
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON1 November 2017
Unless you are friend or family forget it! Nothing is very clear. So much gossip. I have not been at this location very long. The manager seems to have favorites
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Management :(
A fun atmosphere with intriguing challenges.
Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON30 October 2017
Bed, Bath and Beyond is a fun fast paced environment. The management staff is very supportive and the culture makes it easy to be a successful associate there.

The hardest challenge was finding balance with projects and servicing customers. It can get very busy! The most enjoyable part of the job was helping brides develop their wedding registry and walking college students and their families through getting ready for life away from home.
Pros
Many challenges to learn and grow from.
Cons
Long hours and understaffed
Lots of favoratism
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB7 October 2017
I loved my position but am not happy about working 4/5 weekends when single people with no commitments didn't work weekends or evenings as much! Managers had their favorites and if you didn't fit the criteria you got shafted on days off and scheduling unfairness!
Pros
Benefits were not bad, discount was nice
Cons
Too many weekends, lots of turn over with management and staff!
bed bath and nothing beyond
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON7 October 2017
Theres not a whole lot of positive things that i can say about this company and the way they treat their employees. supervisors and management team are disrespectful and treat you like garbage. If you enjoy being a robot and not having any freedom then this is the place for you to work.
Pros
reasonable hours
Cons
verbally abusive management and incompetent supervisors
Unrealistic Expectations and Timelines
Assitant Manager (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON22 August 2017
High standards of customer service with often only one associate scheduled per department.
Company has been subject to several wrongful dismissal suits in the GTA District alone.
Employee Discount is the same as the customers coupon.
Expectations to complete projects/freight and maintain customer service is unrealistic.
Management is held accountable to sales plan but not given the adequate tools to impact it.
45 hour work week for Management
Customer Service, management and training
Sales Associate / Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 August 2017
As a part-time sales associate, my hours during the week varied from 5,7 to 9 hours.
Customer Service is very important to the company, as well as knowledge on all the products in your department.
They constantly train you on safety and security of the store.
A considerable amount of training for the actual products they are selling.
Management could use some work... although everyone is nice, there are managers who i favor more than others. Based on the emotional relationship they try to build with you.
Overall the hardest part of the job is dealing with customers who really challenge your patience and product knowledge.
Very hands in environment, great atmosphere and overall great people to work with
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bed Bath & Beyond21 July 2017
I have been employed at Bed Bath &a Beyond for a little over 8 months and I have enjoyed working there very much. Thanks to all the staff and especially the management I have learned a lot of valuable and helpful information for the future. I have learned not only how to professionally help customers but how to help and communicate the proper and accurate credentials about each product on the floor in my department. A special thanks to Joey our Cunstomer Service manager who has been with me every step of the way and who has really taken the time to work with me down to the last detail if I do not understand something. Bed Bath & Beyond is a great place for a part time or even full time should you choose to peruse a job in the retail field in the future. I am very much enjoying working with the customers and my co-workers and hope there is always something new to learn.
Pros
Emloyee Discount
Cons
No break if working leas than 4 hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bed Bath & Beyond. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K