BEACON COMMUNITY SERVICES Employee Reviews

Environment confused with no proper training.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sidney, BC7 February 2019
Atmosphere was led with a "who's on first" mentality. No one ever seemed to know who was doing what. Took 3 weeks to get an email address set up and two months for business cards. While one manager was warm and kind, getting direction was like trying to bat a fly buzzing around the room. Would not ever work for this company and do not recommend it. Too many people thinking they are the chief and the main chief lazy and lackadaisical. Getting paid is also an issue, missed payments and delays on paycheques due to the main chief working on her own time to get things done and not when the employees and volunteers should be paid. Much turnaround at this office.
Pros
Free exercise classes
Cons
Paycheques late for volunteers and some staff on a recurring theme
Client focused care in community
RCA (Current Employee) –  Victoria25 December 2018
I like the freedom I feel day to day but don't like the long day availability necessary for living wage.
I like meeting people, especially seniors who live and have lived in Victoria. Love listening to stories about our city and learning about pre and post war life
Pros
Fredom
Cons
Car wear and tear
Terrible management
Chw (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC14 November 2018
This place is toxic and management are bullies who play favourites. They make their own rules and break their own rules. Run for your life before they ruin it
Cons
Throw your neighbour under the bus
LPN Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC17 August 2018
Management does not recognize the work that the nurses do at this job. When approached with something that is 'unsafe' work practices they simply deny and say "no it's not" or "that's the way it is". When co-workers went to the union to complain their life was made miserable until they quit. They have a revolving door because they treat their staff so poorly, very few stick around. 9 nurses quit between November 2017 and February 2018 for this reason. Because they have so many people quit all the time it's always the new guy training the new guy training the new guy. Yet you are expected to do everything right and if you make a mistake you are punished.
Pros
Competitive wages
Cons
Everything else
bad
Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC28 June 2018
You won't grow in this company
It is hard to get a regular or fulltime job
Management don't treasure their employees
they only see us as dispensable people
Huge effort no rewards
not to bad of a company
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC2 May 2018
this place was okay the hours were either too many or not enough never in between but the staff are nice and the clients are as well except when problems occur.
Pros
clients are nice
Cons
nothing
Any Work Environment that is too dominant by one gender leads to odd experiences
Employment Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Sidney, BC12 April 2018
Regardless of urgency to get new programs up and running in a very short time. It would be better to wait to be directed by many of the managers than to take action
Pros
good dental & health plan starts same day as when one is hired
Cons
too many managers
Great job for so little training required.
Community Health Worker II (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC17 January 2018
Excellent health care job with Union/ BCGEU support. Best starting salary of any Home Care in Gr. Victoria. Work can be stressful. Support is a phone call away. Scheduling is posted online and you phone in/out of duty on customers line, per assignment.
Pros
Earnings and Union support
Cons
Can be emotionally stressful. Split shifts can be difficult for families.
Nice residents...terribly managed.
Kitchen Helper (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC10 January 2018
I enjoyed the residence and staff but the management is non existant!
The manager is never there. Activity Coordinator is only the 4 of 7 days.
50% of Clients should be in long term care
Pros
nice building and residence.
Cons
No Leader.Salary at low end.
very good
Health Care Assistant/Home Support (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC29 December 2017
Very good, hours are very flexible, very good coworkers. The company is very attentive to the needs of the home support workers and the clients. Great at keeping up with supplies and checking up with the workers in the field.
Pros
free gloves
Cons
not enough hours
Warm atmosphere and loving approach and way of living for denetina resident
Residential Care Aide/Activity Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brentwood Bay, BC4 October 2017
Beacon community service has a good idea of how residents and staff should be treated. Especailly on top of safety of employees and residents which makes for a wonderful way of living and life.
One of the worst companies in BC for complaints with BCGEU
scheduler 2 (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC30 September 2017
This company is sick from the top down, negative culture, harassment, cliquish, lack of adequate training, backstabbing. Management pits schedulers against one another, total lack of concern for family life balance, highest stress environment. Work ANYWHERE else but here!
Pros
pay if you can get the hours to work
Cons
hateful work culture
wonderful clients...terrible work hours
C0mmunity Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC6 September 2017
Clients are all amazing but you have to drive all over town searching for addresses with 10 minutes between client visits. Client profiles are often lacking and not updated regularly. You are required to report to nurses re client conditions/changes but can never get hold of a nurse. Finally, unless you are available from 7am till 11pm, seven days a week, you are not going to get enough hours to be able to pay your bills!
Pros
decent pay
Cons
not many hours of work available
Total chaos
Admin (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC24 July 2017
Major staff turnover... extremely unorganized... unhappy staff... office is too small and staff are are over worked.... only benefits to working here would be the wage
stressfull work environment
Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC12 July 2017
High staff turnover with a very negative atmosphere and culture. The management is not supportive and not approachable. Work/life balance is not promoted.
Pros
pension
Cons
management
Bad place to work
N/A (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC12 January 2017
Typical day at work , employees and management in a bad mood because they are overloaded and understaffed to deal with the amount of clients needing assistance.
No support from management , management always busy or not there , phone system is old and obsolete , lunch room is tiny , not safe in the night , doors are not locked , employees are exposed to anyone off the street , community health workers are completely unsupported by insufficient nurses , unable to take breaks due to the lack of employees , insufficient office supplies , building is too small for the amount of employees ,
Pros
wage through bcgeu
Cons
constant changing schedule
I did not like working at the Beacon office.
Finance/admin (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC27 September 2016
I found working in the office at Beacon to be very unfulfilling. It was extremely disorganized, chaotic, and always a month behind in workload. There was no appropriate supervision of training and I almost made up how to do my job as I went along, then ended up training that way to new people. My manager was disengaged and seemed always unhappy and I couldn't tell if that was personal or unhappy with me? It wasn't until I started a new job that I realized how unhappy I myself had been there.
Pros
Decent wage, paid sick days, great benefits.
Cons
Disorganized, lack of training and structure.
A great place to work
Community Health Worker (CHW) (Current Employee) –  Victoria B.C.25 March 2015
My job typically begins at 7 a.m. & on some days ends at 10 p.m. I like split shifts & have worked as many as 13 hours in a day. Some days I work 6 - 7 hours.
This job is flexible & varied. I work in the community 50% of the time & the rest in facilities.
The management are always striving to meet the needs of the clients and nice to the care workers.
A lot of my job is working one on one with the client. In the facilities & a few clients that require 2 workers, I meet other care workers. They are generally personable, friendly & efficient.
The hardest part of my job is sometimes driving long distances at night between clients.
The most enjoyable part of the job is making a difference in clients day to day living.
Pros
I can add extra hours as my job is flexible
Cons
Sometimes too much driving
Very good work experience program
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC29 January 2015
The hardest thing about working at beacon community services was not having full knowledge about the company I was working for. The most enjoyable thing was gaining filling experience.
Great pay and bennifits . Lots of hours poorly organized schedualing
Community Health Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC5 January 2015
They don't try very hard to keep regular staff with clients they know . U always feel like u r panicking racing drivin from person to person without enough time to get there safely
Pros
Great bennefits it's a union job u r well taken care of
Cons
Stress traffic

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BEACON COMMUNITY SERVICES. Our community is ready to answer.

BEACON COMMUNITY SERVICES Reviews by Location