BEACON COMMUNITY SERVICES
Here to help
Coronavirus update

BEACON COMMUNITY SERVICES Employee Reviews

Canada35 reviews
generally beacon is not a bad place to work but the work load can be stressful at times. I worked as a casual and never got the opportunity to apply for a regular position.
I like my job, like my colleagues, like my boss, like my clients. Work varies from relaxed to fast-paced depending on the day.

Everyone is generally friendly and helpful.
Pros
Good benefits. Good teams and managers.
Lots of good, dedicated people and lots of interesting work at Beacon Community Services. Management,other staff and volunteers care about you and want to help you succeed.Beacon got rid of home support in 2019 and it is a nicer, more flexible environment. Generally happy and positive, with the opportunity to make a difference if you want to.
Pros
Nice people & work. Fair pay. Charity makes things better in community.Good learning opportunities.
Cons
Not many management positions to move into.
Poorly run!
Incompetent UNQUALIFIED managers, the few qualified managers last a few months and leave as they realize quickly that any upper management VP / CEO are completely out of touch with reality. With this old school style of upper management they change the plan ever 5 minutes and unfortunately feel the need to pit managers against staff and other managers.

I am NOT SUPRISED at all that they lost the home support contract, surprised it did not happened sooner.

It is a union environment so the joys of staffing being protected by the union is always a nightmare.

Safe yourself don't work here...if you work here it will take years off your life!!
I had a wonderful years working for Beacon. They value their staffs and Clients. Beacon follows policy and procedures in alignment with their vision and mission. CEO , VP’s were available to staff anytime, empowered their managers to implement to make decisions. Focused in providing excellent customer service to Clients and community health workers. I honestly would recommend working for Beacon!
Pros
Growth and development. Strong support to staff.
Cons
Meeting the increasing demands in healthcare
There are a lot of programs at BCS, so lots of opportunity to learn new skills if you take the initiative to. The management wants you to succeed, so if you want to try something new you can. People here are great. They no longer have Home Support, so things are much more relaxed and the office is quieter.
Beacon can be a really busy place. Sometimes very short-staffed, adds to stress and workload. But the Management cares a lot and they're approachable and my coworkers are friendly and mostly try to give exceptional service so that's a nice supportive environment and we usually feel like we've done something good when you finish at end of day. Positive.
I worked as part of a fantastic team that was like a family for me. They were supportive, encouraging and we enjoyed our days together. They were great resources as mentors and taught me a lot about the field. We traded off on the hard tasks so no one felt too burnt out and we laughed a lot which is really important in this job.
Pros
Mentorship, location
Cons
Scheduling challenges, no real break time
I get to work with some great elderly people in their homes. The times are flexible and the people are all really nice to work with. It would be a great opportunity for anyone looking to advance their skills working with seniors.
Beacon is a home care service on Vancouver Island in BC. It is integrated with VIHA for services for people who either wish to receive care or assistance outside of the hospital environment or to simply reside at home for palliative care.
Pros
work with a variety of individuals with a vast expanse of knowledge.
Cons
unpredictable clients and needs.
Atmosphere was led with a "who's on first" mentality. No one ever seemed to know who was doing what. Took 3 weeks to get an email address set up and two months for business cards. While one manager was warm and kind, getting direction was like trying to bat a fly buzzing around the room. Would not ever work for this company and do not recommend it. Too many people thinking they are the chief and the main chief lazy and lackadaisical. Getting paid is also an issue, missed payments and delays on paycheques due to the main chief working on her own time to get things done and not when the employees and volunteers should be paid. Much turnaround at this office.
Pros
Free exercise classes
Cons
Paycheques late for volunteers and some staff on a recurring theme
I like the freedom I feel day to day but don't like the long day availability necessary for living wage.
I like meeting people, especially seniors who live and have lived in Victoria. Love listening to stories about our city and learning about pre and post war life
Pros
Fredom
Cons
Car wear and tear
This place is toxic and management are bullies who play favourites. They make their own rules and break their own rules. Run for your life before they ruin it
Cons
Management does not recognize the work that the nurses do at this job. When approached with something that is 'unsafe' work practices they simply deny and say "no it's not" or "that's the way it is". When co-workers went to the union to complain their life was made miserable until they quit. They have a revolving door because they treat their staff so poorly, very few stick around. 9 nurses quit between November 2017 and February 2018 for this reason. Because they have so many people quit all the time it's always the new guy training the new guy training the new guy. Yet you are expected to do everything right and if you make a mistake you are punished.
Pros
Competitive wages
Cons
Everything else
You won't grow in this company
It is hard to get a regular or fulltime job

Management don't treasure their employees

they only see us as dispensable people

Huge effort no rewards
this place was okay the hours were either too many or not enough never in between but the staff are nice and the clients are as well except when problems occur.
Pros
clients are nice
Cons
nothing
Regardless of urgency to get new programs up and running in a very short time. It would be better to wait to be directed by many of the managers than to take action
Pros
good dental & health plan starts same day as when one is hired
Cons
too many managers
Excellent health care job with Union/ BCGEU support. Best starting salary of any Home Care in Gr. Victoria. Work can be stressful. Support is a phone call away. Scheduling is posted online and you phone in/out of duty on customers line, per assignment.
Pros
Earnings and Union support
Cons
Can be emotionally stressful. Split shifts can be difficult for families.
I enjoyed the residence and staff but the management is non existant!
The manager is never there. Activity Coordinator is only the 4 of 7 days.

50% of Clients should be in long term care
Pros
nice building and residence.
Cons
No Leader.Salary at low end.
Very good, hours are very flexible, very good coworkers. The company is very attentive to the needs of the home support workers and the clients. Great at keeping up with supplies and checking up with the workers in the field.
Pros
free gloves
Cons
not enough hours
Beacon community service has a good idea of how residents and staff should be treated. Especailly on top of safety of employees and residents which makes for a wonderful way of living and life.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at BEACON COMMUNITY SERVICES. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9