BDO

Insights into BDO

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • General feeling of work happiness

Stressful

Same as any other accounting firms, works are fast paced and stressful. Good for people who commit in public accounting. Turnovers are relatively high.

It’s public accounting so dont expect much

It’s a typical international mega firm. A white collar sweat shop. Most people don’t work here for their lifetime. They work here to get whatever post graduate education and work experienced finished (CPA, CFA, MBA) and they leave for greener pastures. I plan to do the same. You should too.

An excellent place to work, learn and grow professionally

I'm delighted to have joined BDO and enjoying my experience a great deal, even in the midst of the busiest season of the year. I'm paid very well, I have excellent mentorship and support when I need it, my work equipment and tools are modern and updated, my manager suspends judgment and listens, partners provide valuable feedback and case study learning commentary, our professional learning is second-to-none. This has been a restorative experience because all of my needs are met and I feel well supported, with colleagues who want me to succeed. The hardest part of the job is maintaining a heavy caseload in the busy season, but it's forced me to up my game. The most enjoyable part of my job is solving our client's problems because it makes my work meaningful. My BDO experience is excellent and I highly recommend if you're willing to learn and grow in a very busy office.

Good first job, but not worth it in the long run

the pay isn't worth it for the amount of work you do and for all the stress it carries. good first job but wouldn't want to spend more than 2+ years there when you can get paid more and have a better work life balance.

Toxic environment starting with new management

friendly in appearance only. Toxic kind of culture amongst newmanagement and their inclusive team, revolving door of staff with many new people not staying, top heavy management with very few minions due to everyone leaving

Pros

Health benefits

Cons

Atmosphere not welcoming, bullying & manipulation tactics is the norm, low salaries

Productive and rewarding place to work!

BDO is a great place to work. Management is helpful and everyone is willing to help out. Tons of potential for career advancement if you are eager to learn and put the work in. So far my time at BDO has been great. Each day brings a new learning experience. You will not be sitting at your desk doing nothing and everyday is busy but that’s the nature of the job. You may be asked at times to help another department, but it’s a great learning opportunity!

Pros

Great collaborative opportunities and awesome colleagues.

Cons

High stress and demanding job but good learning opportunity with great people.

Like any job in public practice, the work is high-stress and demanding. Good place to cut your teeth and lots of exposure to different clients and industries. Partners are friendly. People are generally very good.

Pros

Friendly Partners Lots of room for growth

Cons

BDO is a great workplace, everyone is supportive. In the Charlottetown Office, you would be able to get great support from managers and partners. Nothing to complain about

Pros

Coffee

Cons

BDO works at providing excellent work/life balance!

The company is very focused on a team dynamic and the job culture is very good. They are flexible with work hours as long as you're getting the job done. Tools and equipment are always provided as needed. The staff are very friendly and encouraging. Lots of little team social networking opportunities even during Covid (online etc). Management seem unavailable for the most part unfortunately.

Pros

Home office equipment provided

Cons

Some tight, stressful deadlines at times

High pased, competitive and stressful work environment

The audit practice is very disorganized. There is a “go figure it out yourself” attitude and very little support to staff. Hours are very long during busy season and depending on clients scheduled, this can continue into the summer an fall! Would describe the work culture as fake. What they sell you is not the reality

Pros

Good benefit package and PTO

Cons

Very long hours - 14-16 hour days are not uncommon

Diffcult culture to feel connected to as a management consultant

While they have an intention to grow beyond accounting type of work, the execution is spotty and very partner dependent. If you have a partner that cares about you (don't worry, there are a lot of them and you'll find yourself working with many) it is probably good, then again if don't...well you are on your own. No sense of team work or community. Just stay billable or sell, that's about it. Oh yeah, career growth, not going to happen here.

Pros

Pay is good

Cons

No team work. Random partner demands, few carreer growth opportunities

Just go somewhere else

Management does not help you succeed, you are expected to stick to strict utilization budgets. That means having to search for available work in lulls. Toxic environment, people step on each other for advancement. Claims inclusivity but many staff members have incredibly outdated beliefs, which they are vocal about.

Pros

Paid schooling

Cons

Everything else

Very stressful work and low paid

You will be paid very low and your work will be piling up on the desk. Coworker are gang up together so if you are outside of the loop,you will be in trouble. The management always asked you to donate money to the charity while you only have a miserable money to live with. Also you will have a very tight time budget to do you work and if you can be more efficient than the last accountant who did the account, you jmight be in trouble. I only work in Kamloops. So I can only speak by my experience. However, I find the management is very hypocritical and only like to exploit you until you have nothing left. Try to avoid this company by all mean.

Pros

Good to learn when you have little experience

Cons

Long hours and low paid

Great for learning and experience everything else is just bad.

Great for learning experience everything else is bad. Do your best and learn what you can once you are done and have met your career goals and required CPA hours then leave.

Fun conworkers, laid back atmosphere

Good benefits, understanding management. Coworkers are friendly and the work environment is fairly laid back. Not a stressful job, sometimes very busy but without pressure or judgement.

Benefits

Cons

Low rate of pay

Productive and fast paced work environment

Great team, time goes by fast, diverse tasks, advancement opportunities available,learning opportunities available, good amount of paid time off, excellent benefits.

Pros

Remote work available, excellent team culture, good benefits

Cons

Amount of work can be stressful, salary not great

terrible place to work

Management is very difficult to work with.Training is non-existent.Claim to be an inclusive workplace but far from it. Job duties were constantly changing. Work times constantly changing.Most enjoyable part of the job was being let go and being able to work elsewhere.

The worst place to work, run don't walk

This was by far the worst work environment I have ever been in. The older CPA are great, caring individuals. They were helpful and always asked how it was going. The younger crew, oh boy, talk about a bunch of ignorant, conceded, rude people. The administrative team was great but afraid of the leaded. The worst experience of my life. The pay sucked, but they had a really cool coffee maker. If that's enough for you.

Pros

Cool coffee maker

Cons

Everything and everyone else

Great Team Environment

Great culture. Lots of training opportunities. Partners work alongside staff to get the work done and always willing to listen to concerns/feedback.

Pros

Great Learning environments, pay is competitive

Cons

Long hours, industry focused so missing more diversity of work

Great Place to Work

Everyone at BDO was wonderful to work with. Had a family atmosphere. Tight deadlines but reasonable. The employees do many fundraising events to raise money for people in need in the community.

Horrible

They expect to pay you minimum possible wage and expect you to give more than the minimum possible effort.Management is unable to state their own policies clearly and only pretended to have an "open door policy.

Cons

Horrible

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BDO. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement