BDO Employee Reviews

Productive fast paced environment.
Administrative Assistant/Office Services (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON9 April 2018
Honest communication: Heard a lot of complaints and gossip among peers, but nobody even dares to speak the truth because they're afraid of offending the superiors. The employee always sweet-talks / give feedback to superior with what superior would like to hear, which is totally not the facts. A lot of issues are swept under the carpet, everybody is avoiding honest communication just to survive their job and most of them think is useless as the management will not care.
Pros
A lot of employee parties
Relevant experience
Valuations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 March 2018
I was a co-op student here in the Valuations practice. It was a great learning experience while I was still attending school. I am still considering returning for full time employment after graduation.
Compared to the BIG 4 , I found more work life balance
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga11 March 2018
Compared to the BIG 4 , I found more work life balance. It was a good start for me, The people there are friendly and was able to easily adapt to the work environment
Good people, typical atmosphere
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON7 March 2018
Typical public accounting firm atmosphere pushing hard for high return on billings. As such, the there is high demand for time, little work life balance,
Great partners, but not enough pay for work
Accountant (Former Employee) –  BC25 February 2018
The partners at the office were great. However, the pay was well below competitive (i.e. techs starting in low $30K range, CPAs in mid $40K range). When asked about raises, partners always explained how they had little control over salaries, as it was up to BDO national. This made it frustrating, as you could never get a straight answer about future raises or promotion. Overall, being a "National firm" was more frustrating then rewarding. In addition, BDO has been notorious for changing pay structures. Therefore, be aware that you may not ever see any benefit for overtime.
Pros
Great partners and coworkers
Cons
Terrible pay
Great workplace
Staff Accountant in Audit & Advisory (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 January 2018
As an intrermediate staff accountant in Audit & Advisory, I performed NTR, review, and audit engagements for private companies. I developed skills in analyzing financial statements and performing audit procedures to assess company operations and bookkeeping.
Lots to learn
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 December 2017
It's a typical national accounting firm where you see it more like a post secondary education than a job. It's a good start to your career because you really learn a lot.
A good professional work environment
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 December 2017
I was based at the British Energy Toronto office where I was responsible for the financial reporting to the UK. Worked in an environment with senior management who gave you the freedom to implement systems to make this office compliant with the UK office
auditeur
Vérificateur principal (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 December 2017
cabinet d'audit classique rien de de majeur par rapport aux autres cabinets
Part time jobs
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 December 2017
The above jobs were either part time or co-op related. It gave me great confidence in myself and helped me develop my skills. Management was very friendly.

Want to know more about BDO?

Ask a question
Horrible work life balance
Senior Accounting Technician (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON25 September 2017
High manager to staff ratio; all work is pushed on to staff. Managers would love you to work 24hrs a day if they could. Work environment is good but staff are just treated as work horses. Salary is not competitive, benefits are expensive. Very little sense of belonging, lacks company culture
Cons
Long hours, no job security
Co-Workers were great
Insolvency Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 September 2017
I enjoyed working with my co-workers at BDO who were very helpful and likable. I would have liked to see more in office staff events to build team cohesiveness.
Flexible time, load of benefits
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  canada22 September 2017
Being a Financial advisor and part of sales team is one of my dream job, because it enhance my communication skills and improve my way of thinking. The best part of it, I was able to give help to other people by giving them advice and helping them with their financial needs.
Pros
flexible time
Cons
high but attainable target per year
Unprofessional
Business Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 September 2017
Managers doesn't understand the 'people manager' part of their role. They're stuck in doing sub-par tasks. Projects are run on a whim, no process or governance is in place. Management at all levels is immature and unprofessional. They're not very flexible in work hour schedule. They expect you to come in at the same time everyday, take a one hour lunch, their work from home option is only available after being working there for a year and Flex days are sometime skipped if it lands on an holiday (working an hour extra every day to get every other Monday or Friday off). They're very micromanaging and are transparent with their lack of care for employee retention.
Pros
easy to coast and no consequences for missed deadlines
Cons
Unprofessional, old world, micromanaging
Good company
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 September 2017
Good company - fast paced environment

Great training programs

Staff is very helpful to new employees

Decent work life balance for an accounting firm
Pros
Great staff
N/a
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 September 2017
Great place to work in Edmonton office before expansions/mergers started to happen. Culture changed at that point. Unable to really provide a review as have not worked there for a number of years and I am sure things have changed quite a bit.
Great Place to Work
Senior Accountant, US Tax (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON14 September 2017
The people are wonderful. The training is lacking, but those around you are always willing to step in and show you the ropes if required. There is a team environment for sure. You will not feel left on your own, there is always someone willing to help you. The work/life balance is great for a big firm, but the salary and benefits are not competitive enough in comparison to other firms.
Pros
Great enviroment
Well rounded experience
Staff Accountant, Accounting & Assurance (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB6 September 2017
BDO offered lots of exposure to various clients, industries, scope of work and working close with clients as many of them were small-midsized companies and a good mix of private, public, and NPO clients and related tax work. Great starting point for anyone seeking a career in accounting as CPA.
Pros
Work culture
Cons
Work-life balance
Great people, collaborative open-plan environment
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 August 2017
Great people, many of which have been with the firm over an extended period of time, Collaborative, open-plan work-space. Flexible working program could be improved.
professional and hardworking team
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mocsow27 August 2017
Good workplace culture, high-level management, interesting range on clients, many possibilities for developments, sometimes overworked, but it compensate.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BDO. Our community is ready to answer.