BCLC

Canada15 reviews
People oriented company
Great work life balance.
flexible hours and culture

low wages as compared to other companies.

slow projects.

lazy HRs/management/managers

great company for people who want to settle down in Kamloops.

not so good for people who want development and growth of their skills.
great experience
Excellent colleagues great company leader skills, great experience
BCLC is great!
I didn't work there very long as I went to go back to school but for the time I was there it was great. My manager was very flexible with sick days and vacation requests. I'm not saying work here if you're sick all the time but they are very reasonable with allowing sick days without much push back unless it becomes a habit. The MBO for the Cascades Langley location is probably the most knowledgeable boss I have ever had. They also are very open to new ideas even if you just started.
Pros
Good benefits and pay. Also you only work 4 days a week @10hour shifts
Cons
Night shift sometimes 1500-0100
ok
it was a good transitionary job for me, i worked for several years. do not expect to making a living off this, it is a good buffer job pay is not great
Best company to work for!
If you are looking for a company that respects your work and emphasizes work/home-life balance, this is the place for you. From the moment I stepped foot here, I realized this corporation would be different from any other that I have encountered. Great company values and amazing work culture. Everyone is so kind and happy, I swear everyone is humming some tune and skipping. Why wouldn't you be happy here? Lottery changes peoples' lives for the better!
Pros
Great work culture, amazing people.
Cons
Air con is cold at times (only said this for filler).
It's okay if you are one of the chosen ones
Work life balance is great. No opportunity for advancement unless you are part of one of the cliques that exist here. Benefits are good, free parking.
Pros
work life balance, good benefits
Cons
little opportunity for advancement, very clique-y
Productive and Fun!
Excellent work culture, and the learning curve is good, always new things to learn and challenge yourself, senior folks always push you to work harder and motivate you.
Pros
Friendly people
Scary place
Favoritism, insecurity, unprofessionalism, bullying, no room for advancement.
Good place for people that wear black every day, don't laugh, don't speak their mind, brown nose.
Pros
Free parking, subsidized meals, free tea/coffee, clean bathrooms
Cons
Dirty/dusty carpets, old/polluted HVAC system, stress
contractors don't get treated well
The BCLC is wonderful to the regular employees not to contrators. There are little perks that anyone can acesss like free coffee. It is an organization that makes a lot of noise about life balance but that is only for full timers. A typical day at work involved weeding through a lot of feel good emails, then jumping through hoops as you jump through hoops of various unrelated tasks that they like to bundle together. Management seems more concerned with looking like they are doing good than actually treating eveyone who works there well. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with deman and using obsolete equipment. The most enjoyable part of the job is learning about new things.
Pros
free coffee, slightly above average pay
Cons
unrealistic expectations, old equipment
Good job but starting to change
When I started it was good. Lately the culture has changed and it is not getting better.The work life balance is better in Kamloops then Vancouver.

Pay raises are non-existent as the BC government takes all the profits.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
No pay raises
IT / IM appicants :Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there
My comments are targeted towards IT applicants.

Good IT staff. They're really earnest in wanting to do a good job. And like many places they're friendly.

Poor management. Generally they don't see staff as partners, more like a commodity. Which wouldn't be bad if they paid commodity prices.

Given that it's crown corporation it has a hard time finding direction. One week it's "let's googlefiy this place" to "you need be careful with your office supply budget". The provincial government is too attached to the profits from gambling and can be impacted by the party in power.

Most of the revenue from BCLC comes from casinos, not lottery tickets. You have to be comfortable working in the gaming/gambling industry. After leaving I had a sense of relief about not contributing to problem gambling, I was surprised how I saw that as benefit afterwards. If you really like gaming/gambling you're not allowed to play at any casino in BC as this would be perceived as a conflict of interest.

Being a small to medium sized company there aren't a lot of opportunities to move around if you find that your job has become stagnant. Role changes general come from reorganizations, applying for a different job tends to not to work out for internal IT employees as BCLC has hard time getting external applicants and they really want to bring in people whenever they can.

If you are in IT you will have to live in Kamloops. The city is OK but it's small and remote, 4 hour drive to Vancouver and nothing else in between. if you aren't happy you will have few options within the city, there is
 - more...
Nasty!
I worked there for 2 years. I watched, helplessly, as they periodically got rid of anyone who was over 50. They recently fired 25% of their workforce, all over 50. During the period I was there, my supervisor, my manager and my director were all fired. It doesn't seem to matter how good you are at your job. Someone is always looking to find fault. This practice is top down. No one is happy and everyone is constantly looking over their shoulder! People put in long hours out of fear. This organization is typical of Gov. Lots of incompetency, especially in management. It stinks!
Pros
Pay is on par
Cons
Long hours, heavy criticism, no long term security
Amazing employers
This was one of the best jobs I have ever had in terms of management and co-workers. This is a very friendly environment rich in higher learning and furthering education.
Pros
Fair treatment, great wages, friendly staff, family orientated, onsite gym, hot lunches of amazing quality for low cost
Cons
I only had a temporary contract
Great company and benefits
Budget constraints will not allow for hours and FTE positions.
Challenging and interactive
As an IT Customer Service Technician, I provided IT help to the employees of BCLC over the phone, email or in person. I worked directly with the customers to solve their technical issues. Here, I learned troubleshooting techniques, customer service and researching techniques. As I was only in my second year of computing science, I wasn't able to tackle the more challenging problems and had to rely for support from my co-workers. While I enjoyed the challenges I also enjoyed learning from my co-workers how they would solve each problem and interact with the customers. The management was great as he was continually looking for opportunities for me to expand my knowledge and experience within the company. The hardest part of my job would have been overcoming the challenges and finding the solutions for each customer. However, it was very satisfying when I found those solutions and was able to interact with the customer and fix their issues.
Pros
talking and interacting with customers all day
Cons
not enough calls to stay engaged all day