BCIT Student Association

BCIT Student Association Employee Reviews

Gm had not enough experience in that capacity. Used the place as his personal kitchen on weekends and left the place a disaster area

I should have contacted Human resources before I was pushed out/ quit.Kitchen manager was a bully. She belittled me on a regular basis and heaped more and more work on me until I finally bailed. Terrible woman. And the manager was right behind her.

Pros

Most employees were great

Cons

Management including SA upper management used the pub as their personal restaurant. al

Productive and fun workplace

It is a great place to learn and experience teamwork skills, team management, working under tight deadlines, and keeping up with the schedule, as asked for!

Pros

Free Lunch

Great team to work with

It was my first job in Canada. Great team and management! I was able to combine full time job with part time studies. And one of the company’s benefits is tuition waiver for up to 3 courses. After almost 8 years I still miss my time in SA.

Habitat Pub

BCITSA is an of the best project that I have never seen in other college. The BCITSA has the biggest issue about work with the Kitchen Manager in the HABITAT PUB, that are: - The kitchen manager doesn't have skill to work under pressure; - No communication skill, instead of speaking English she speak almost all the time in Mandarin with other employees; - She is a boss and not a leader (you need to respect her opinion and work with her rules and make yourself to feel as a SLAVE); - The most important she doesn't do/is a helpful person, doesn't give support to the kitchen, she always walks around with her hands inside in the pocket. - Kitchen area is very dirty. - Food Safe is not respected. The Chef or Kitchen Manager must need to update thyself, and be a leader. "You can't call your company a GREAT PLACE to work just because you have ping-pong tables. You need to care for your people, have trust and support for them. And if you take their problems as your own, they will take yours as theirs". The greatest leader in history has shown that ... ... Is the humility that makes us great !!!

Cons

In my opinion, this is a great place to work, with many professional development opportunities. There are several staff in every department that have been with the company for a few years or longer, which shows that BCITSA is a rewarding place to work for those who enjoy working with students and give their best.

Great culture, progressive organization.

This is a great place to work with lots of great staff. There are a lot of different departments and cross-collaboration. Staff are given a lot of freedom to achieve objectives. The offices are great, very new, clean and modern. There is a real focus on progressive growth as an organization and the staff are encouraged to take advantage of professional development opportunities.

Pros

Lots of professional development opportunities. Lots of freedom to pursue goals and objectives

Habitat pub

I have worked at the pub for many years, working from September until end of May each year. I always look forward to returning each year as the management is great and the BCITSA is a great organization to work for!!! This year was a little rocky from the start as we had some new management, but not that it is back to the old manager thinks have returned to normal. The old manager is one of the best I have ever had, very support and always looking to help on the floor kitchen or any area that requires help. I hope whoever they find to replace the one that is no longer working with us will be as supportive and understanding. The pub is a great place to work again!

Pros

Work life balance, fun place to work, great team work supportive manager

Cons

getting less hours in the summer time

Great Place to Work

BCIT Student Association is a growing organization with lots of exciting projects on the horizon. Benefits are great and managers are flexible. The culture is fun and team oriented. Recommend this as a place to work if you enjoy working with students or want to start a career in post-secondary. It's a great jumping off point.

Front of house manager

Work life balance at the habitat pub is a great selling point, but once you’re hired you’ll meet a very entitled team. There is no structure to this pub. You’ll meet servers who fall under pressure and start arguements with the students and guests. If you get this job you’ll find out who they are right off the bat. The night bartender has no filter. He once threatened me that he would walk out or call the police if I didn’t kick out a guest. I also reported this to my manager and it wasn’t dealt with. Instead they decided to let me go without a reason. They continue to have a high turnover rate due to contract hiring. Therefore to retain staff they need to enjoy at least like working at the habitat. Most of them don’t come back due to how the retained staff members (from previous years) treat new staff members like garbage. Sometimes it goes as far as them being bullied. Another server argues with the kitchen manager while there are guests around. I complained to my manager about everything that was going on and he did nothing about it. So there wasn’t any support. Lots of negative energy here. If they don’t like you they’ll let you go. If you’re too nice they’ll let you go. Anything to save money. Very entitled servers, even though their all part-time they argue for there hours. No such thing as fareness here. Again, also why they can’t retain staff. At the end of the day I did my invoices, inventory, kept my team up to date with menu changes, created a check list, held team meetings, assisted in training and development. Created a structure that a team -

Pros

Nice day Bartender, weekend and holidays off

Cons

Negative servers, no structure, very entitled, rude night bartender.

Worst job ever!

Worst job ever compared to where I am working now. Don't expect your career to grow working here. Staff are all worried about losing their jobs/lots of politics. Management has no voice as Executive Director dictates all and provides no leadership. Seems to only be interested in putting up new buildings at BCIT.

Productive team based work environment

Worked on assignment with large teams of 6-9 people, allowing us to become skilled in team based environments Prepared financial records such as balance sheets, income statements, and bank reconciliation Completed most business courses, strong understanding of business, communication, and sales.

Pros

Nice office space, free snacks always

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BCIT Student Association. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement