BCIT Student Association Employee Reviews

Retail Operations (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC31 January 2019
In my opinion, this is a great place to work, with many professional development opportunities. There are several staff in every department that have been with the company for a few years or longer, which shows that BCITSA is a rewarding place to work for those who enjoy working with students and give their best.
Great culture, progressive organization.
Full time (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC24 January 2019
This is a great place to work with lots of great staff. There are a lot of different departments and cross-collaboration. Staff are given a lot of freedom to achieve objectives. The offices are great, very new, clean and modern. There is a real focus on progressive growth as an organization and the staff are encouraged to take advantage of professional development opportunities.
Pros
Lots of professional development opportunities. Lots of freedom to pursue goals and objectives
Habitat pub
Server (Current Employee) –  Pub24 January 2019
I have worked at the pub for many years, working from September until end of May each year. I always look forward to returning each year as the management is great and the BCITSA is a great organization to work for!!! This year was a little rocky from the start as we had some new management, but not that it is back to the old manager thinks have returned to normal. The old manager is one of the best I have ever had, very support and always looking to help on the floor kitchen or any area that requires help. I hope whoever they find to replace the one that is no longer working with us will be as supportive and understanding. The pub is a great place to work again!
Pros
Work life balance, fun place to work, great team work supportive manager
Cons
getting less hours in the summer time
Great Place to Work
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC23 January 2019
BCIT Student Association is a growing organization with lots of exciting projects on the horizon. Benefits are great and managers are flexible. The culture is fun and team oriented. Recommend this as a place to work if you enjoy working with students or want to start a career in post-secondary. It's a great jumping off point.
Front of house manager
Front of House Manager (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC16 January 2019
Work life balance at the habitat pub is a great selling point, but once you’re hired you’ll meet a very entitled team.

There is no structure to this pub. You’ll meet servers who fall under pressure and start arguements with the students and guests. If you get this job you’ll find out who they are right off the bat. The night bartender has no filter. He once threatened me that he would walk out or call the police if I didn’t kick out a guest. I also reported this to my manager and it wasn’t dealt with. Instead they decided to let me go without a reason. They continue to have a high turnover rate due to contract hiring. Therefore to retain staff they need to enjoy at least like working at the habitat. Most of them don’t come back due to how the retained staff members (from previous years) treat new staff members like garbage. Sometimes it goes as far as them being bullied.

Another server argues with the kitchen manager while there are guests around.

I complained to my manager about everything that was going on and he did nothing about it. So there wasn’t any support.

Lots of negative energy here. If they don’t like you they’ll let you go. If you’re too nice they’ll let you go. Anything to save money. Very entitled servers, even though their all part-time they argue for there hours. No such thing as fareness here. Again, also why they can’t retain staff.

At the end of the day I did my invoices, inventory, kept my team up to date with menu changes, created a check list, held team meetings, assisted in training and development. Created a structure that a team
  more... can follow since their was one in place to start off with.  less
Pros
Nice day Bartender, weekend and holidays off
Cons
Negative servers, no structure, very entitled, rude night bartender.
Worst job ever!
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC15 December 2018
Worst job ever compared to where I am working now. Don't expect your career to grow working here. Staff are all worried about losing their jobs/lots of politics. Management has no voice as Executive Director dictates all and provides no leadership. Seems to only be interested in putting up new buildings at BCIT.